• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Schoolgirl Famicom Detective, Ayumi Tachibana for Smash Switch (Famicom Detective Club Remakes Coming to the Switch)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Cool! I'm very curious to hear about Famicom Detective Club's history in the podcast. I'll try to check it out later or tomorrow.

Edit: I forgot to mention that @Fatmanonice has heard from his sources about a rumored Iwata tribute character after Season Pass 2. What do you guys think if this rumor is true? Do you think Iwata had a special connection to Famicom Detective Club?
1. Fatman doesn't know anything.

2. This is a horrifically tasteless thing to speculate about

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
1. Fatman doesn't know anything.

2. This is a horrifically tasteless thing to speculate about
I know you and a lot of others in the Newcomer Speculation and Social threads that don't like Fatman but please, let things take it's course before saying he was wrong and please don't call him a liar or con man.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I know you and a lot of others in the Newcomer Speculation and Social threads that don't like Fatman but please, let things take it's course before saying he was wrong and please don't call him a liar or con man.
This is still incredibly tasteless on so many levels dude

Also, I didn't. I just said he knows nothing, which considering he likes to call himself a speculator like the rest of us, is the truth, right?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
This is still incredibly tasteless on so many levels dude

Also, I didn't. I just said he knows nothing, which considering he likes to call himself a speculator like the rest of us, is the truth, right?
Let's just say he isn't going to make a career out of being a leaker or leak speculator. He said he is done with insider **** forever after Season Pass 2 ends if that really is the last of the DLC.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Let's just say he isn't going to make a career out of being a leaker or leak speculator. He said he is done with insider **** forever after Season Pass 2 ends if that really is the last of the DLC.
You are intentionally missing my point here.

I am saying it is beyond tasteless to invoke the name of a dead gaming icon in an attempt to make your favorite obscure character seem "likely", and to speculate that one of the characters is going to be "an Iwata tribute" is already tasteless when done in this manner especially when Sakurai already said in his article that Smash Ultimate itself was Iwata's final mission to him and that the game has already expanded past the scope of that mission.

And yes, I'm going to doubt Fatman when he has been wrong far more times than he has been right and again is invoking the name of a dead man in an attempt to claim that X character totally has a shot

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You are intentionally missing my point here.

I am saying it is beyond tasteless to invoke the name of a dead gaming icon in an attempt to make your favorite obscure character seem "likely", and to speculate that one of the characters is going to be "an Iwata tribute" is already tasteless when done in this manner especially when Sakurai already said in his article that Smash Ultimate itself was Iwata's final mission to him and that the game has already expanded past the scope of that mission.

And yes, I'm going to doubt Fatman when he has been wrong far more times than he has been right and again is invoking the name of a dead man in an attempt to claim that X character totally has a shot
If the Iwata tribute thing is real they could have just moved it all the way towards the end of the DLC. After all, if Season Pass 1 was originally the end don't question me on that because I don't know where that comes from, than the Iwata tribute character might have originally been part of Season Pass 1. It's not far fetched to assume when Plant was originally meant to be a base game character evidence being he is the only DLC character to receive a Palutena's Guidance codex

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If the Iwata tribute thing is real they could have just moved it all the way towards the end of the DLC. After all, if Season Pass 1 was originally the end don't question me on that because I don't know where that comes from, than the Iwata tribute character might have originally been part of Season Pass 1. It's not far fetched to assume when Plant was originally meant to be a base game character evidence being he is the only DLC character to receive a Palutena's Guidance codex
Oh my god please stop missing the point.

Speculating about an Iwata Tribute Fighter IN GENERAL is insanely disrespectful. Stop using a dead man to get more characters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Oh my god please stop missing the point.

Speculating about an Iwata Tribute Fighter IN GENERAL is insanely disrespectful. Stop using a dead man to get more characters.
How is it disrespectful if that's true? I'm not saying it is, but are you're saying Sakurai would be disrespectful if he added a character as a tribute for Iwata?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
How is it disrespectful if that's true? I'm not saying it is, but are you're saying Sakurai would be disrespectful if he added a character as a tribute for Iwata?
There's no reason to believe it's true. Absolutely none. It's "Isaac was delayed because of the earthquake" levels of insane and insensitive.

We already got a tribute to Iwata. It's called Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. End of story.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There's no reason to believe it's true. Absolutely none. It's "Isaac was delayed because of the earthquake" levels of insane and insensitive.

We already got a tribute to Iwata. It's called Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. End of story.
I'm done talking to the clique. This conversation is over.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
What do you mean?
well you know he sometimes says things that are contradicted by things he does, for example he said he wasnt hesitant to include ayumi and takamaru due to them being japan only but he was fine with including lucas and marth and roy (at their initial smash debut)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
well you know he sometimes says things that are contradicted by things he does, for example he said he wasnt hesitant to include ayumi and takamaru due to them being japan only but he was fine with including lucas and marth and roy (at their initial smash debut)
Most likely the reason Marth and Roy got in is because Sakurai knew Nintendo had plans to bring Fire Emblem to the west and for Lucas it was the same except he didn't know Itoi and Nintendo didn't have plans to bring Mother 3 to the west so he said had he known he wouldn't have put Lucas in Brawl.

D

Deleted member

Most likely the reason Marth and Roy got in is because Sakurai knew Nintendo had plans to bring Fire Emblem to the west and for Lucas it was the same except he didn't know Itoi and Nintendo didn't have plans to bring Mother 3 to the west so he said had he known he wouldn't have put Lucas in Brawl.
Not to mention Fire Emblem of course is popular in Japan or that's what I think at least

Last edited by a moderator:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
fire emblem was brought to the west because of how popular marth and roy were in melee

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
fire emblem was brought to the west because of how popular marth and roy were in melee
I would agree with that. But still, barely any westerners knew who they were before Melee and Sakurai was even thinking about making Marth and Roy exclusive to the Japanese version because of this. Ayumi and Takamaru were Japanese exclusives too and they got shoved off because of Sakurai thinking not many westerners would recognize them while Marth and Roy got the pass even though they fit the same description at the time. I think it's obvious Nintendo had plans to bring Fire Emblem to the west even before Melee was a thing because like I said, Marth and Roy despite being Japanese only characters got in at the time while Ayumi and Takamaru didn't.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I would agree with that. But still, barely any westerners knew who they were before Melee and Sakurai was even thinking about making Marth and Roy exclusive to the Japanese version because of this. Ayumi and Takamaru were Japanese exclusives too and they got shoved off because of Sakurai thinking not many westerners would recognize them while Marth and Roy got the pass even though they fit the same description at the time. I think it's obvious Nintendo had plans to bring Fire Emblem to the west even before Melee was a thing because like I said, Marth and Roy despite being Japanese only characters got in at the time while Ayumi and Takamaru didn't.
well what little information we have about that, i believe that a japenese version of melee was brought over to the west from players to try and thats where their initial popularity came from and why they were kept in the international version of the game. its also worth noting that the first FE game to come outside japan was one that was made after melee and there was little to suggest that they were wanting to do so with any game before hand

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
well what little information we have about that, i believe that a japenese version of melee was brought over to the west from players to try and thats where their initial popularity came from and why they were kept in the international version of the game. its also worth noting that the first FE game to come outside japan was one that was made after melee and there was little to suggest that they were wanting to do so with any game before hand
I just have a theory... A GAME THOERY!!! Thanks for watching!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
i dont know what youre referencing
It's a YouTube channel, Game Theories (or something like that). I don't watch it, but they're infamous for outlandish theories, always followed by that phrase. It's become a meme to follow up conspiracy theories with that statement.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's a YouTube channel, Game Theories (or something like that). I don't watch it, but they're infamous for outlandish theories, always followed by that phrase. It's become a meme to follow up conspiracy theories with that statement.
the world's an odd place

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It's like I always wonder, considering how popular Smash Bros. is these days, I really feel like the series has just enough (or maybe even MORE than enough) clout to get away with adding 1-2 Japan-prominent characters, with Ayumi and Takamaru fitting that criteria perfectly, what with their being planned for various Smash games and all.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's like I always wonder, considering how popular Smash Bros. is these days, I really feel like the series has just enough (or maybe even MORE than enough) clout to get away with adding 1-2 Japan-prominent characters, with Ayumi and Takamaru fitting that criteria perfectly, what with their being planned for various Smash games and all.
The only people who would complain are those who spout nothing but "Irrelevant" and "Who?". Sakurai can get away with it if he wants, it's his game.

At the same time, any character makes anyone upset no matter what. So they do not 100% please everyone. People still whined about how ugly and overrated K Rool was when he joined and people still think Ridley looks terrible when resized after his reveal.

Oddball

Smash Lord
It's be even better if they decided "let's put in a Japanese exclusive character and just to even it out, let's put in a Western character to go with it" and gave us Ayumi and Mike Jones.

Hey, A guy can dream, right?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's be even better if they decided "let's put in a Japanese exclusive character and just to even it out, let's put in a Western character to go with it" and gave us Ayumi and Mike Jones.

Hey, A guy can dream, right?
The All-American teen and the Japanese schoolgirl, the perfect duo if you ask me.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
they could use a british hooligan to balance it out
Man, there aren't really any games using that aesthetic, are there? Such a shame because it would be pretty cool, but the only thing that comes to mind is Birdie from Street Fighter.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Man, there aren't really any games using that aesthetic, are there? Such a shame because it would be pretty cool, but the only thing that comes to mind is Birdie from Street Fighter.
I can think of a number of British punk characters, but that's not quite the same thing.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, if any of the Spirit Arms characters get promoted in June than Ayumi is not only back in the race but probably also the top contender for the Retro slot since the Famicom Detective Club remake is suppose to be coming out this year.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There is some comfort in knowing that the FDC remake is currently one of the only first/second-party Nintendo games releasing later this year. All the recent hullaballoo and it still hasn't budged from its current plans.

Last edited:
Top Bottom