• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sargasso Hideout - Wolf O'Donnell Support Thread

What voice do you prefer for Wolf?

• American (Star Fox: Assault & Smash Bros. Brawl)

Votes: 92 73.6%
  • British (Star Fox 64 & Star Fox Zero)

Votes: 33 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
But why do you think it's going to be a port? A flexible scalable engine designed for porting to wildly differing architectures was already completed with Smash 3DS/Wii U, along with assets to go with it - what's to say they wouldn't use this as a base for something new, as so many companies do?

The "Smash 6" job-posting was put up in April of 2014, they had 120 people then, and wanted 80 more for posts involving things like characters, stages, animation, extra modes, and so on (it's all listed in the link I posted before).

That was three years ago. And we know that it realistically, according to accounts by many developers, takes a matter of weeks to get something up and running on the Switch. (Even a port like The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD took only six months from announcement to shipment, and that was a very complex port that involved lots of tweaking, remaking of assets, and so on, with a game that was not designed with future porting in mind, for a system that was famed for being somewhat difficult to port things to.)

So if it's a no-frills port, why has it not been shown yet, and why would they save something so minimal and unimpressive for, say, a large event like E3?

My bet, personally, is on a new game that re-uses the engine and assets, as that's what it looks like it was all designed for. But that's just me. :laugh:
Should've clarified. Those are my expectations if Smash on Switch ends up being a port.

As for whether I believe we're getting a port with more content or a new Smash game, I honestly don't know. Your argument holds well, but I feel that they'd still make good money by adding a little extra content to a port. A Smash port showing off new content would bode well for Nintendo's E3 presentation, although I don't think it'd be enough to carry it overall. I also feel that it is a bit soon to have a brand installment, but that's just an opinion, not an argument.

In the end, all I care about is what new content we will be receiving, regardless of if Smash on Switch is a port or whole new installment. I just hope that there's enough new content that there is enough room for Wolf, as well as other characters, of course.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Should've clarified. Those are my expectations if Smash on Switch ends up being a port.
Ahh, I see! I apologise - I thought that it was in relation to recent rumours.

In the end, all I care about is what new content we will be receiving, regardless of if Smash on Switch is a port or whole new installment. I just hope that there's enough new content that there is enough room for Wolf, as well as other characters, of course.
I wholeheartedly agree. Here's hoping for the best! :wolf:

jordansweeto

Smash Apprentice
I support Wolf's return to the Smash series - wish he never got cut in the first place..

My ideal scenario would be Wolf returning AS WELL AS Krystal joining the roster as a new kind of SF rep.
Star Fox needs more love in general honestly.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I support Wolf's return to the Smash series - wish he never got cut in the first place..

My ideal scenario would be Wolf returning AS WELL AS Krystal joining the roster as a new kind of SF rep.
Star Fox needs more love in general honestly.
Glad to see you over here in the Wolf thread, Jordan. Expect to see me around in the Krystal thread as well. Us Star Fox thread owners got to stick together, ha.

For those who don't know, Jordan runs the Krystal Support Thread, so if you think Krystal should be in Smash, go stop by and show your support.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm not too sure about Krystal's chances, since Star Fox Zero is basically the third Star Fox timeline. At least Wolf appeared in that game.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I'm not too sure about Krystal's chances, since Star Fox Zero is basically the third Star Fox timeline. At least Wolf appeared in that game.
Although I hate to admit it, you aren't wrong. Wolf's my most wanted, with Krystal in a close second. The most Krystal has going for her right now is that Platinum said that they'd love to include her in a sequel if they're asked to, and that she almost made it into Brawl. Neither one of those really help her case too much, sadly.

Cyro_

Smash Cadet
Got my support. Shame he was taken out in the first place.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
If Wolf does return in the Smash Switch port I hope they give him a few new moves such as crawling, wouldn't it be nice to see Wolf crawling like an actually wolf similar to Jon Talbain from Darkstalkers. Wolf's move set already has a few feral like moves such as his claws so it would be nice to see him crawl stalking his prey like a wolf.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
If Wolf does return in the Smash Switch port I hope they give him a few new moves such as crawling, wouldn't it be nice to see Wolf crawling like an actually wolf similar to Jon Talbain from Darkstalkers. Wolf's move set already has a few feral like moves such as his claws so it would be nice to see him crawl stalking his prey like a wolf.
I like this idea. I especially like the idea because of Wolf doing more with his claws. If he fought like Wolverine in the MvC series, I'd be really happy.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Crawling was first introduced in Brawl wasn't it? Odd that he of all characters wasn't taken advantage of with the mechanic, but hopefully that may change in the future.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
I like this idea. I especially like the idea because of Wolf doing more with his claws. If he fought like Wolverine in the MvC series, I'd be really happy.
They should also give him a new running animation, he could run on all fours like a wolf and be much faster too.

Cyro_

Smash Cadet
They should also give him a new running animation, he could run on all fours like a wolf and be much faster too.
A faster Wolf with better melee. I like it.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I prefer Wolf just the way he is. I don't want anything to change about him. As a player I've always leaned towards slower, heavy hitters Snake, Ike, Cloud, even Ryu. Wolf was that character for me out of Star Fox. And as that type of fan I probably would, regretably, not pick up the character if he has been Foxified in a way. That's all just my opinion but I always thought that was one of the traits that made Wolf really stand out for me.

Cyro_

Smash Cadet
I prefer Wolf just the way he is. I don't want anything to change about him. As a player I've always leaned towards slower, heavy hitters Snake, Ike, Cloud, even Ryu. Wolf was that character for me out of Star Fox. And as that type of fan I probably would, regretably, not pick up the character if he has been Foxified in a way. That's all just my opinion but I always thought that was one of the traits that made Wolf really stand out for me.
Hmm.. Fair point now that you mention it a faster Wolf would be close to a fox clone and that isn't something I would like to see.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Changing up a character is always a risky move, as you're just as likely to massively improve a character as you are to alienate who that character originally was. I love Brawl Wolf how he was, but adding in something like crawling or polishing his animations would be nice. My favorite iteration of Wolf has got to be from Project M, though. PM Wolf had a new dash-attack, overall improvements to his mobility, and quite a few other buffs. If Smash Switch Wolf ends up being somewhere between Brawl Wolf and PM Wolf, that'd be ideal for me.

Of course, as long as we get our unique Wolf back, I'd be happy.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mobility adjustments would be good though, since in Brawl, Wolf is barely any faster while running than when he walks. As such, it often felt redundant to even dash when the speed difference is a mere 0.1. And as a side note, Wolf runs "slower" than Fox's walking speed.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I think certain adjustments can be made without ruining what people love about the character. Most people 'define' a character as 3 or 4 attacks anyway, so certain changes tend to go unnoticed when they play little importance as to what makes a character who they are.

For example, I never saw one person complain about Fox's bair change despite being very different from his 64/Melee version, because it's not super important to what makes his character enjoyable, but not being able to jump cancel Shine still bothers people to this day.

Wolf has some really cool attacks (I really enjoy his Side B, and weird Smash attacks), but I don't think you need to keep everything in order to keep the character's 'feel'.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I always thought it was funny that when it came to Wolf's mobility, Smash took towards game balance (Wolf's speed is slower than Fox's and Falco's), whereas Assault took towards animal realism (Wolf ran faster than Fox, and real-life wolves run much faster than foxes.)

I do hope Wolf receives a mobility buff, though. As MSG said, having such a minor difference between Wolf's dash and walking speeds is pretty redundant. I think Project M reworked him rather well, with him maintaining good speed while still being a hard-hitting character.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I think certain adjustments can be made without ruining what people love about the character. Most people 'define' a character as 3 or 4 attacks anyway, so certain changes tend to go unnoticed when they play little importance as to what makes a character who they are.

For example, I never saw one person complain about Fox's bair change despite being very different from his 64/Melee version, because it's not super important to what makes his character enjoyable, but not being able to jump cancel Shine still bothers people to this day.

Wolf has some really cool attacks (I really enjoy his Side B, and weird Smash attacks), but I don't think you need to keep everything in order to keep the character's 'feel'.
Agreed. Sometimes, this sort of thing can even massively improve how a character is represented, too.

For example, I know that folks give Dedede a lot of flack in Smash 3DS/Wii U, but he's actually more in-character than he was in Brawl, and a whole lot more capable as well, as long as you know his personality, which his playstyle implements inside and out.

Small changes made to Wolf could easily end up the same way.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I don't see how giving Wolf a slight boost to his mobility would make him more of a clone. Unless they copy-pasted Fox's speed values onto him, Wolf would still be a unique character. I do think Wolf's stats in Brawl are fine, and don't necessarily need a change, but a buff would still be nice.

I know I bring this iteration of him a lot, but out of curiosity, what do you think of the changes to Wolf in Project M? Does he still fit your preferred archetype, or do you feel that his mobility buffs make him too much like Fox?

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
But why do you think it's going to be a port? A flexible scalable engine designed for porting to wildly differing architectures was already completed with Smash 3DS/Wii U, along with assets to go with it - what's to say they wouldn't use this as a base for something new, as so many companies do?

The "Smash 6" job-posting was put up in April of 2014, they had 120 people then, and wanted 80 more for posts involving things like characters, stages, animation, extra modes, and so on (it's all listed in the link I posted before).

That was three years ago. And we know that it realistically, according to accounts by many developers, takes a matter of weeks to get something up and running on the Switch. (Even a port like The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD took only six months from announcement to shipment, and that was a very complex port that involved lots of tweaking, remaking of assets, and so on, with a game that was not designed with future porting in mind, for a system that was famed for being somewhat difficult to port things to.)

So if it's a no-frills port, why has it not been shown yet, and why would they save something so minimal and unimpressive for, say, a large event like E3?

My bet, personally, is on a new game that re-uses the engine and assets, as that's what it looks like it was all designed for. But that's just me. :laugh:
Honestly, it us WAY too early for a brand new game. SSB4's roster is nearly perfect, but you know a new game would have MORE cuts, (unless they port everything first and build upward from there) and even IF we do get Wolf back, what's the point if you lose one or two more of your favorite characters at the same time?

We shouldn't be hoping for a new game so soon. With the size of SSB4's roster, unless they up the dev team size tremendously, next time is going to be a bloodbath of fan-favorite cuts.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't see how giving Wolf a slight boost to his mobility would make him more of a clone. Unless they copy-pasted Fox's speed values onto him, Wolf would still be a unique character. I do think Wolf's stats in Brawl are fine, and don't necessarily need a change, but a buff would still be nice.

I know I bring this iteration of him a lot, but out of curiosity, what do you think of the changes to Wolf in Project M? Does he still fit your preferred archetype, or do you feel that his mobility buffs make him too much like Fox?
I wasn't much of a fan of him in Project M. It's fine because I understand that they had to increase his speed because they approached him as 'What it Wolf was in Melee' which is totally cool but I didn't pick him up for the reason that he did feel a lot more like Fox in that way. While Snake and Ike kept most of their traits of being really strong slower characters Wolf lost a lot of that in Project M. He was still enjoyable but not as much for me which I felt like was a real bummer. All in all its just me and my preferences of characters but I do feel like Wolf stood out more with the way he was in Brawl, slower but burlier than the other two. That's why I gravitated towards him. I hate playing as Fox and Falco they're just not fun to me. They're too fast, too light, and don't do enough knock back for me. So, yeah if they make Wolf a little bit faster, fine. I definitely don't want a Project M Wolf though. Not a bit.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I wasn't much of a fan of him in Project M. It's fine because I understand that they had to increase his speed because they approached him as 'What it Wolf was in Melee' which is totally cool but I didn't pick him up for the reason that he did feel a lot more like Fox in that way. While Snake and Ike kept most of their traits of being really strong slower characters Wolf lost a lot of that in Project M. He was still enjoyable but not as much for me which I felt like was a real bummer. All in all its just me and my preferences of characters but I do feel like Wolf stood out more with the way he was in Brawl, slower but burlier than the other two. That's why I gravitated towards him. I hate playing as Fox and Falco they're just not fun to me. They're too fast, too light, and don't do enough knock back for me. So, yeah if they make Wolf a little bit faster, fine. I definitely don't want a Project M Wolf though. Not a bit.
Fair enough. You aren't wrong in saying that he stands out more in Brawl, with his heavier, more burly style. I just feel that despite Wolf's boosted mobility in PM, which admittedly does encourage a bit more of a rush-down style like Fox and Falco, that his overall gameplay still stands out compared to them.

But hey, to each their own, right?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, it us WAY too early for a brand new game. SSB4's roster is nearly perfect, but you know a new game would have MORE cuts, (unless they port everything first and build upward from there) and even IF we do get Wolf back, what's the point if you lose one or two more of your favorite characters at the same time?

We shouldn't be hoping for a new game so soon. With the size of SSB4's roster, unless they up the dev team size tremendously, next time is going to be a bloodbath of fan-favorite cuts.
Well, honestly, I'm not hoping for anything - I'm just saying what I see from a job-listing posted three years ago that has yet to bear any fruit, to be honest, when combined with the fact that everything they do with the long-tail system-seller games on the Switch needs to make an impact.

I would imagine that they're not going to rewrite the engine again - the current one's self-evidently been designed for easy movement between wildly differing architectures, and everything's already there in it, ready to bring over. Nintendo even touched on game engine re-use, albeit briefly, during the Q&A at their 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders in June of 2016, as well.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
One thing is for sure I hope they keep his voice from Brawl it fits him so well or maybe they can use his new voice from Star Fox Zero and Wolf definitely needs a new final smash even if he doesn't get a new one I'd still be happy for his return.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Whether it's too early, depends on when they plan to have said Smash. The roster was kind of a hit or miss for me, but can definitely agree that we'd likely have more cuts with a new game than a port. And the bolded part was how it was for me with Mewtwo; thought its return would keep me happy enough at first, but then later thought "What's the point when Wolf and my other favorites are still gone which is equally uncool?".

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
The roster was kind of a hit or miss for me, but can definitely agree that we'd likely have more cuts with a new game than a port.
What happens if it's a new game that continues to use the current engine, though? They've already created Amiibo for everyone in it, and I doubt that they'd cut characters and therefore render those purchases useless.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Of the cuts from Brawl to 4, I really do miss Wolf the most; he was a fun character and is, IMO, the standard all clones should adhere to; same base moves, very different utility for them. He feels the least clone-y of them all (so much so that I'm kind of weird on even calling him a clone).

He'd better be back in the next game; along with a couple of other villain buddies. Count me part of the Wolf pack.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
What happens if it's a new game that continues to use the current engine, though? They've already created Amiibo for everyone in it, and I doubt that they'd cut characters and therefore render those purchases useless.
True, there'd most likely be plenty reused assets either way, same engine or not. And forgot about the Amiibo factor, so good point I guess, although we still don't have them for Bayo and some...

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
And forgot about the Amiibo factor, so good point I guess, although we still don't have them for Bayo and some...
We have production records for Cloud (product-code AACK, three months of production), Corrin (product-code AACL, one month of production), and Bayonetta (product-code AACM, one month of production), on Nintendo of America's CPSIA Certificates of Compliance page, though, so they are on the way.

There's also a fourth Smash Amiibo with the product-code AACN, which has had three months of production. We don't know who it is yet.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Predicting it now; it's a Gold or Silver Mario amiibo. :p
Oh god, don't even joke about that. :laugh:

EDIT: Ok, more seriously, I should point out that CPSIA filings are usually put up not too long before the product is revealed. The last time Nintendo put up these records, four of them to be precise, was a week or so before the Switch Presentation in January. Two Amiibo were shown during that event, and the other two were shown in the Fire Emblem Direct that followed it a week or so later.

Last edited:

Skyward

Smash Apprentice
Wolf would have been the one thing that made Smash 4 perfect for me, and is my most wanted character for a fifth game. I don't think there's much else I can say.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
We have production records for Cloud (product-code AACK, three months of production), Corrin (product-code AACL, one month of production), and Bayonetta (product-code AACM, one month of production), on Nintendo of America's CPSIA Certificates of Compliance page, though, so they are on the way.

There's also a fourth Smash Amiibo with the product-code AACN, which has had three months of production. We don't know who it is yet.
When was the last Direct? The FE one in January? Feeling we might be getting one soon. They could finally get release dates there. And I'm torn about that fourth, unknown amiibo. I really want it to be female Corrin, but at the same time I really want it to be a new (or returning) character.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
When was the last Direct? The FE one in January? Feeling we might be getting one soon.
That's correct, and I'm inclined to agree with that. It feels like it's about the right time for one.

They could finally get release dates there. And I'm torn about that fourth, unknown amiibo. I really want it to be female Corrin, but at the same time I really want it to be a new (or returning) character.
Well, none of the earlier characters with drastic alts have them, and some of them aren't gender-swaps but instead totally different characters, such as the Koopalings. I doubt that it would be female Corrin for this reason, myself. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom