• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sargasso Hideout - Wolf O'Donnell Support Thread

What voice do you prefer for Wolf?

• American (Star Fox: Assault & Smash Bros. Brawl)

Votes: 92 73.6%
  • British (Star Fox 64 & Star Fox Zero)

Votes: 33 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I don't think Zero's sales or reception will affect Wolf's chances much. Sakurai has to know he's high on the list of fan requests. He was aware of the demand for Mewtwo, Lucas, and Roy, he's aware of the demand for Wolf. Roy and Lucas have never even had their games localized, sales were never an issue with them, they got back in on fan demand alone. The question, I think, is how many (if any) characters we get with a hypothetical Switch port. If we only get 1 veteran, it's probably going to be Ice Climbers, even if Wolf is arguably more popular/requested. But if we get, say, three characters, which I think would be a fair number, then they could do like they did with the DLC; one vet from Melee (Roy, Ice Climbers), and one from Brawl (Lucas, Wolf), and one newcomer, someone who placed highly in the ballot (Inklings?). Obviously I would include Mewtwo under the DLC Melee vets, but strangely, he was never really marketed as a veteran, whereas Roy and Lucas had VETERAN stamped all over them, and were used to represent their respective Smash games, especially in their Classic trophies (Mewtwo's Classic trophy makes no reference at all to his Melee appearance).

TLDR; if we get three or more characters, Wolf's chances are good. If we only get one or two, don't count on it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Gruff American Brawl. Always been more of a fan of Jay Ward's (SSBB) and Grant Goodeve's (Star Fox: Assault) interpretations of Wolf.
Let's just hope that if Wolf ever does come back, that his voice portrayal doesn't get messed up like with what happened to Fox and Falco.

D

Deleted member

It's a shame that Wolf didn't return for Smash 4's DLC.
Sign me up. I would love to see him return.

D

Deleted member

Hopefully our space canine mercenary returns this time.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Of course, I support. It's been so long since the Wolf DLC days yet it feels like yesterday...

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Wolf was a glaring omission from Sm4sh.
If Smash Switch is an enhanced port, it would be very fitting to include Wolf.

As he strikes most as a blatantly omitted character, which would be a fitting addition to a definitive addition of the game.. To include a character that should have been included in the first place.

He's basically in the same vein as the Ice Climbers, however they at least had a reason for their omission. Wolf has no reason, which makes it even weirder he wasnt included.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
There's a few of us still missing Obnoxshus comes to mind...

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
There's a few of us still missing Obnoxshus comes to mind...
I know. A lot of the core Wolf Supporters haven't been seen for some time now. Hell, a lot of people from the old Speculation days haven't been around for a while. A lot of people left once after the final DLC presentation, and more left after the original support threads were closed down.

Obnoxshush/Dasshizer (Who I'm just going to refer as "Dash") hasn't been around since July of last year. I was going to notify him of the new speculation forum, and the opportunity for a new Wolf thread, but once I saw just how long Dash has been MIA for, I took liberty to do it myself. Similar situation with the Krystal support thread. I was going to notify that thread's owner, but they've also been MIA for a while now. Only instead of making the new Krystal thread myself, I nominated someone else to make it, and fortunately, they did.

Once a Smash on Nintendo Switch is formally announced, or at least hinted at, by Nintendo, I expect a lot of users to return to SmashBoards.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
Wouldn't Sakurai's wrist condition get worse with the Joy-Con being smaller than the average controller? Not to mention that he'd play with the Pro controller as well as previous controllers and the inevitable Gamecube one to ensure that they all work well...

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Wouldn't Sakurai's wrist condition get worse with the Joy-Con being smaller than the average controller? Not to mention that he'd play with the Pro controller as well as previous controllers and the inevitable Gamecube one to ensure that they all work well...
I think, if anything, he'd probably trust his team with testing how the Joy-Cons feel. He'd probably test it himself a few times, sure, but I think most of the development with the controllers would probably be done by others.

Wolf29

Smash Cadet
One question, what voice? Gruff American Brawl or Cocky British Zero?
His voice from Assault, Brawl, or Zero are all acceptable by me! Hate to say it but the British voice doesn't seem as fitting, at least to me.

Also #FreeWolf, sign me up as he will always be my first vote for any Smash.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Once a Smash on Nintendo Switch is formally announced, or at least hinted at, by Nintendo, I expect a lot of users to return to SmashBoards.
For what it's worth, they've done so four times this year, already. ;)

1: Nintendo Treehouse's JC mentioned playing the game at and after work, during a January Treehouse Live broadcast. Considering that Treehouse is Nintendo of America's localisation team, it seems unlikely that he'd be playing older releases during work hours. This came up during a segment covering ARMS, which is embedded below;

2: Shortly after that, Reggie Fils-Aime mentioned it in an interview with TIME;

And we will look to make sure that in the end, we’ve got this robust, online environment that not only works well for our games, like Splatoon and Mario Kart and Smash Bros., but that also works great for our third party developers.
3: Reggie Fils-Aime made a similar statement in an interview with CNET at around the same time, too;

People have taken shots at us for that (Nintendo's online efforts in the past). The reality is, the way that online experiences have progressed, it's an expensive proposition. The amount of servers we need to support Smash Brothers or Mario Kart -- these big multiplayer games -- is not a small investment.
4: Reggie Fils-Aime again mentioned it during an interview that took place on a Facebook livestream;

On Smash Bros. coming to Switch: Our philosophy at Nintendo is to have one great experience of each franchise on each console. So in the future, who knows when, you can anticipate that all of our big franchises will be addressed
I gather that this section of the forum opened up after the fourth one occurred.

It's quite unusual to see high-up Nintendo staff openly mentioning a game that has yet to be formally revealed, so I've been keeping tabs on the mentions that it's getting.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Sure has been a long while, ladies and gents.

And for those who already knows who I am from the old thread, then y'all already know the answer.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Sure has been a long while, ladies and gents.

And for those who already knows who I am from the old thread, then y'all already know the answer.
Glad to see you back, Tino. Already adding you to the supporters list.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
I still support Wolf for he was my second main in Brawl and I was disappointed he was cut but I still have hope for Wolf's return in the smash switch port and if he doesn't return I hope that he will be in the next smash bros game for the switch.
I'm sure that they might give him new special moves from Star Fox Zero such as lightning tornado, anyway its good to see some familiar faces that still support Wolf yay.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I still support Wolf for he was my second main in Brawl and I was disappointed he was cut but I still have hope for Wolf's return in the smash switch port and if he doesn't return I hope that he will be in the next smash bros game for the switch.
I'm sure that they might give him new special moves from Star Fox Zero such as lightning tornado, anyway its good to see some familiar faces that still support Wolf yay.
I like the idea of using lightning tornado as one of his specials, but have no idea how I'd like to see it done. How would you do it?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I like the idea of using lightning tornado as one of his specials, but have no idea how I'd like to see it done. How would you do it?
I can see it being a custom special for Fire Wolf. Speaking of customs, lately I've been thinking of possible custom specials for Wolf. This is what all I have thus far:

Stock Special | Custom Special I | Custom Special II
Blaster: (Neutral Special) | Quickdraw Blaster: Less start-up time, and the shot fired travels faster. However, shot has less damage and no stun. | Bayonet Charge: Wolf whips out his blaster, and jabs it forward. The charge deals very high damage and knockback, but doesn't actually fire a shot.
Wolf Flash: (Side Special) | Wolf Dash: Wolf travels further, and trajectory can be adjusted up or down. However, the attack deals no damage, and starts-up slowly. | Wolf Pounce: The attack begins as normal, with Wolf ascending to the same height, although half the distance. At the apex, Wolf charges at a downward angle, burying the victim.
Fire Wolf: (Up Special) | Wolf Charge: Slow start-up and travel speed, but attack deals multiple hits before launching opponents at the end. | Lightning Tornado: This attack sends Wolf spiraling forward at high velocity. Wolf himself deals no damage, but leaves a brief static trail behind him that stuns enemies.
Reflector: (Down Special) | Pulse Reflector: Reflector lasts only a few frames before causing Wolf to short-hop afterward. Any projectiles reflected travel back at triple velocity, but with no bonus damage. | Absorber: Instead of reflecting, projectiles are absorbed and heal Wolf. Has high end-lag, and doesn't stall Wolf if used in air.

Anyone have any other ideas for custom Wolf specials? Feel free to post them!

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I can see it being a custom special for Fire Wolf. Speaking of customs, lately I've been thinking of possible custom specials for Wolf. This is what all I have thus far:

Stock Special | Custom Special I | Custom Special II
Blaster: (Neutral Special) | Quickdraw Blaster: Less start-up time, and the shot fired travels faster. However, shot has less damage and no stun. | Bayonet Charge: Wolf whips out his blaster, and jabs it forward. The charge deals very high damage and knockback, but doesn't actually fire a shot.
Wolf Flash: (Side Special) | Wolf Dash: Wolf travels further, and trajectory can be adjusted up or down. However, the attack deals no damage, and starts-up slowly. | Wolf Pounce: The attack begins as normal, with Wolf ascending to the same height, although half the distance. At the apex, Wolf charges at a downward angle, burying the victim.
Fire Wolf: (Up Special) | Wolf Charge: Slow start-up and travel speed, but attack deals multiple hits before launching opponents at the end. | Lightning Tornado: This attack sends Wolf spiraling forward at high velocity. Wolf himself deals no damage, but leaves a brief static trail behind him that stuns enemies.
Reflector: (Down Special) | Pulse Reflector: Reflector lasts only a few frames before causing Wolf to short-hop afterward. Any projectiles reflected travel back at triple velocity, but with no bonus damage. | Absorber: Instead of reflecting, projectiles are absorbed and heal Wolf. Has high end-lag, and doesn't stall Wolf if used in air.

Anyone have any other ideas for custom Wolf specials? Feel free to post them!
I'd honestly prefer that over Fire Wolf.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I had to go back to an old thread that I once participated in to get my custom special move inputs for Wolf.
  • Blaster
    • Paralyzing Blaster: Fires a short-ranged blast that can't be reflected or absorbed. The blast paralyzes anyone who's hit, and the bayonet can still deal damage before the blast is fired.
    • Piercing Blaster: Fires a laser that can pass through multiple targets, but it deals less damage and knockback than the standard Blaster. The bayonet's damage output is unaffected.
  • Wolf Flash
    • Wolf Burst: The dash does not deal any damage, but an explosion will be made after the move ends, dealing damage to those who are hit. Deals more damage and knockback, but lacks the meteor smash properties that the standard Wolf Flash has. Additionally, Wolf only travels 3/4 the distance of the standard Wolf Flash, and he loses all horizontal momentum after using the move as well, which hinders its recovery potential.
    • Wolf Phase: Travels 25% farther than the standard Wolf Flash, but it doesn't deal any damage. Wolf won't take any damage while dashing, and he maintains some horizontal momentum after using the move, making it more effective for recovery than the other Wolf Flash variations.
  • Fire Wolf
    • Blazing Wolf: Gives Wolf's kicks fire effects, enabling him to deal more damage than normal, with the final kick delivering high knockback if it connects. However, the move doesn't travel as far as the standard Fire Wolf (0.8x), and it halts Wolf's horizontal momentum upon ending.
    • Fast Fire Wolf: Executes quicker and travels farther (1.1x) than the standard Fire Wolf, but the kicks deal much less damage and knockback than normal. Wolf maintains some of his horizontal momentum after using the move, but he'll still enter a helpless state.
  • Reflector
    • Absorbing Reflector: Absorbs projectiles instead of reflecting them. Wolf heals 50% of the damage that he would've taken from the projectiles, and it can't deal any damage. Only works on absorbable projectiles, however.
    • Amplifying Reflector: Reflected projectiles deal more damage than the standard Reflector (2.34x), but their initial speed boost is less powerful (1.08x). The startup lag and ending lag are also increased, and the reflector isn't able to deal any direct damage.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Well I got a few too.

Laser Eye (neutral):
Shoots a thin laser out of his eye that spans across the length of the stage. Can be moved up and down for a short period of time. Decent damage/knockback if sweet spotted(initial blow), needs to be charged in order to avoid spamming.

Disable (working title; down special):
Inspired from Sombra's ultimate in Overwatch, imstead of reflecting, Wolf's shine now disables opponents specials for a short period of time. Larger hitbox, slight charge.

Jetpack (up special):
Wolf uses his Jetpack. Physics are very similar to FLUDD in Sunshine. Great horizontal movement, not so great vertical. Can be attacked out of.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
Here's what I have.

Lightning Blaster (neutral): Similar to his regular blaster but shoots lightning that stuns foes and knocks them back.

Wolf Slash (side special): Again similar to Wolf Flash but uses his claws and travels farther and causes a meteor effect.

Lightning Tornado (up special): Same as AlphaSSB's description

Howling Reflector (down special): Basic reflector but holding the button down builds up power which can leave him vulnerable but when releasing the button Wolf howls sending out a shockwave that stuns foes around him knocking them back.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Decided to add a section to the front page for fan-made custom moves. If I post your custom move, I'll let you know. If your custom move doesn't get posted, I'll explain why. That said, it can be overturned if others support the move. In order to have your custom moves posted, they must:
  • Be unique: There is no reason to have multiple moves posted that function almost identically. General similarities to a pre-existing move is fine, and moves can share names.
  • Have a fitting name: Self-explanatory. Your idea will need a name appropriate to what the move does.
  • Have a good description: You have to give a proper description that explains the move. You don't have to go super in-depth, but something like "Does more damage, but slower" doesn't quite cut it.
  • Make logical sense: Has to make sense logically. I'll give some reason to artistic freedoms, but don't expect to see your custom move where Wolf shoots a bow-and-arrow to be posted.
  • Only two moves per special, per person: This is simply to prevent the section from getting too bloated.
I had to go back to an old thread that I once participated in to get my custom special move inputs for Wolf.
  • Blaster
    • Paralyzing Blaster: Fires a short-ranged blast that can't be reflected or absorbed. The blast paralyzes anyone who's hit, and the bayonet can still deal damage before the blast is fired.
    • Piercing Blaster: Fires a laser that can pass through multiple targets, but it deals less damage and knockback than the standard Blaster. The bayonet's damage output is unaffected.
  • Wolf Flash
    • Wolf Burst: The dash does not deal any damage, but an explosion will be made after the move ends, dealing damage to those who are hit. Deals more damage and knockback, but lacks the meteor smash properties that the standard Wolf Flash has. Additionally, Wolf only travels 3/4 the distance of the standard Wolf Flash, and he loses all horizontal momentum after using the move as well, which hinders its recovery potential.
    • Wolf Phase: Travels 25% farther than the standard Wolf Flash, but it doesn't deal any damage. Wolf won't take any damage while dashing, and he maintains some horizontal momentum after using the move, making it more effective for recovery than the other Wolf Flash variations.
  • Fire Wolf
    • Blazing Wolf: Gives Wolf's kicks fire effects, enabling him to deal more damage than normal, with the final kick delivering high knockback if it connects. However, the move doesn't travel as far as the standard Fire Wolf (0.8x), and it halts Wolf's horizontal momentum upon ending.
    • Fast Fire Wolf: Executes quicker and travels farther (1.1x) than the standard Fire Wolf, but the kicks deal much less damage and knockback than normal. Wolf maintains some of his horizontal momentum after using the move, but he'll still enter a helpless state.
  • Reflector
    • Absorbing Reflector: Absorbs projectiles instead of reflecting them. Wolf heals 50% of the damage that he would've taken from the projectiles, and it can't deal any damage. Only works on absorbable projectiles, however.
    • Amplifying Reflector: Reflected projectiles deal more damage than the standard Reflector (2.34x), but their initial speed boost is less powerful (1.08x). The startup lag and ending lag are also increased, and the reflector isn't able to deal any direct damage.
Nice moves, MSG. All added to the front page.

Well I got a few too.

Laser Eye (neutral):
Shoots a thin laser out of his eye that spans across the length of the stage. Can be moved up and down for a short period of time. Decent damage/knockback if sweet spotted(initial blow), needs to be charged in order to avoid spamming.

Disable (working title; down special):
Inspired from Sombra's ultimate in Overwatch, imstead of reflecting, Wolf's shine now disables opponents specials for a short period of time. Larger hitbox, slight charge.

Jetpack (up special):
Wolf uses his Jetpack. Physics are very similar to FLUDD in Sunshine. Great horizontal movement, not so great vertical. Can be attacked out of.
I added Disable and Jetpack, but left Laser Eye out. I like the concept of a laser, but shooting it from his eyepiece seems a bit far-fetched.

Here's what I have.

Lightning Blaster (neutral): Similar to his regular blaster but shoots lightning that stuns foes and knocks them back.

Wolf Slash (side special): Again similar to Wolf Flash but uses his claws and travels farther and causes a meteor effect.

Lightning Tornado (up special): Same as AlphaSSB's description

Howling Reflector (down special): Basic reflector but holding the button down builds up power which can leave him vulnerable but when releasing the button Wolf howls sending out a shockwave that stuns foes around him knocking them back.
All but Lightning Tornado was added. Also added you to the supporters list.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Decided to add a section to the front page for fan-made custom moves. If I post your custom move, I'll let you know. If your custom move doesn't get posted, I'll explain why. That said, it can be overturned if others support the move. In order to have your custom moves posted, they must:
  • Be unique: There is no reason to have multiple moves posted that function almost identically. General similarities to a pre-existing move is fine, and moves can share names.
  • Have a fitting name: Self-explanatory. Your idea will need a name appropriate to what the move does.
  • Have a good description: You have to give a proper description that explains the move. You don't have to go super in-depth, but something like "Does more damage, but slower" doesn't quite cut it.
  • Make logical sense: Has to make sense logically. I'll give some reason to artistic freedoms, but don't expect to see your custom move where Wolf shoots a bow-and-arrow to be posted.
  • Only two moves per special, per person: This is simply to prevent the section from getting too bloated.

Nice moves, MSG. All added to the front page.

I added Disable and Jetpack, but left Laser Eye out. I like the concept of a laser, but shooting it from his eyepiece seems a bit far-fetched.

All but Lightning Tornado was added. Also added you to the supporters list.
Maaan, that was my favorite one out of the bunch, but hey it's your list.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Wolf was the last character I unlocked in Brawl. I got most of them through the Subspace Emissary, and quickly unlocked Jigglypuff and Toon Link after. To see Wolf as the last character was so random, yet the character was just so damn cool. He added a sense of charm that Brawl had that Smash 4 lacked, and it's hard to describe exactly what that feeling is. A character I didn't expect, yet something that's still awesome.

Once again, I throw in my support for Wolf to return to Smash Bros. Along with the Ice Climbers, I have a good feeling about Wolf's chances.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I love his personality and the way he moves so yes please.
Wolf was the last character I unlocked in Brawl. I got most of them through the Subspace Emissary, and quickly unlocked Jigglypuff and Toon Link after. To see Wolf as the last character was so random, yet the character was just so damn cool. He added a sense of charm that Brawl had that Smash 4 lacked, and it's hard to describe exactly what that feeling is. A character I didn't expect, yet something that's still awesome.

Once again, I throw in my support for Wolf to return to Smash Bros. Along with the Ice Climbers, I have a good feeling about Wolf's chances.
Welcome! Adding you both to the supporters list.

Maaan, that was my favorite one out of the bunch, but hey it's your list.
No, its not my list, its our list. A list of the general community's ideas. I'm just the one who filters out what's possible from what is far-fetched. That said, I'm going to add the Laser Eye back now, as I feel it walks the line between the two.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Welcome! Adding you both to the supporters list.

No, its not my list, its our list. A list of the general community's ideas. I'm just the one who filters out what's possible from what is far-fetched. That said, I'm going to add the Laser Eye back now, as I feel it walks the line between the two.
Well thanks.

It doesn't have to come out of his eye, I just always thought it would be cool if he had some technology under that eye patch, and that's how I came up with idea. Regardless, I just really like the idea of having a laser that can stay out, and be moved up and down the screen, instead of a short blast, it's kind of a hard idea to explain... Best way I can explain it is like in those James Bond movies where Bond is strapped to the table, and that laser slowly cuts it's way up the table, that would be the move.

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Well thanks.

It doesn't have to come out of his eye, I just always thought it would be cool if he had some technology under that eye patch, and that's how I came up with idea. Regardless, I just really like the idea of having a laser that can stay out, and be moved up and down the screen, instead of a short blast, it's kind of a hard idea to explain... Best way I can explain it is like in those James Bond movies where Bond is strapped to the table, and that laser slowly cuts it's way up the table, that would be the move.
If they gave him a move like that, they'd HAVE to give him the British Bond villain voice :denzel:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think if we get a new SF game that is well received (pretty unlikely at this point, sadly) it will increase Wolf's chances, but if we can get Lucas back after nine years of a dormant, probably dead series and still no western releases, or Roy's reappearance after like fifteen years with only the occasional cameo (and again no western release) Wolf shouldn't be counted out for showing up again. He was a popular vet.

That said, I stand by my previous post in that I don't expect him for the port. But who knows what the series holds going forward.

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I think if we get a new SF game that is well received (pretty unlikely at this point, sadly) it will increase Wolf's chances, but if we can get Lucas back after nine years of a dormant, probably dead series and still no western releases, or Roy's reappearance after like fifteen years with only the occasional cameo (and again no western release) Wolf shouldn't be counted out for showing up again. He was a popular vet.

That said, I stand by my previous post in that I don't expect him for the port. But who knows what the series holds going forward.
Why don't you think he'll get in the port? They'll be trying to sell a new Switch port of a game most people already have on at least one system, there's probably going to be more than one additional character. While at least one newcomer would be a safe bet, fan-requested veterans like Wolf and Ice Climbers would be no-brainers too. Some of the first characters they'll look to for a port would be characters with existing assets, and IC were up and running on Wii U and Wolf has a few specials in the game. Both of them also have very vocal fanbases requesting their return, just like Mewtwo, Roy, and Lucas did.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I think Wolf has a decent chance of being in a Wii U port, or at least, a higher chance than others. That said, I don't really expect him to come back, unless the port is getting 4+ characters. The thing is, with a port, I don't see too many characters making it in.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Why don't you think he'll get in the port? They'll be trying to sell a new Switch port of a game most people already have on at least one system, there's probably going to be more than one additional character. While at least one newcomer would be a safe bet, fan-requested veterans like Wolf and Ice Climbers would be no-brainers too. Some of the first characters they'll look to for a port would be characters with existing assets, and IC were up and running on Wii U and Wolf has a few specials in the game. Both of them also have very vocal fanbases requesting their return, just like Mewtwo, Roy, and Lucas did.
I think whatever kept him from being DLC, which imo made even more sense than appearing in the port, will keep him out. I'm not saying there aren't good reasons as to why he'd return, but there were earlier as well. I guess I don't see him being a priority atm.

Not to say I couldn't see it happening, I just don't believe it will.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I think Wolf has a decent chance of being in a Wii U port, or at least, a higher chance than others. That said, I don't really expect him to come back, unless the port is getting 4+ characters. The thing is, with a port, I don't see too many characters making it in.
I'm just curious why people think that it's going to be a no-frills port, when we know from a job-listing posted by Bandai-Namco in April of 2014 that "Smash 6" (bearing in mind that Smash 3DS is considered "Smash 4" and Smash Wii U is considered "Smash 5") has been in the works for three years at the time of writing, with a 200-strong team working on it. :p

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I'm just curious why people think that it's going to be a no-frills port, when we know from a job-listing posted by Bandai-Namco in April of 2014 that "Smash 6" (bearing in mind that Smash 3DS is considered "Smash 4" and Smash Wii U is considered "Smash 5") has been in the works for three years at the time of writing, with a 200-strong team working on it. :p
I don't believe that they'd just straight-up port Smash to the Switch without adding in anything extra. Just look at MK8 Deluxe, with more tracks and characters. I believe we'll have maybe one or two characters, with possibly a couple of stages. Without adding any extra content to a port, than they'd have to find an alternative main selling point.

Granted, an ideal port would include multiple characters, stages, music pieces, etc, but ideal isn't the same as realistic, and I don't quite see that happening. I tend to have a more cynical viewpoint on the Smash Team, and for some reason, I don't see them putting too much effort into new content for a port. That said, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has a decent amount of stuff added in it, so maybe my pessimistic viewpoint will be proven wrong.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I don't believe that they'd just straight-up port Smash to the Switch without adding in anything extra. Just look at MK8 Deluxe, with more tracks and characters. I believe we'll have maybe one or two characters, with possibly a couple of stages. Without adding any extra content to a port, than they'd have to find an alternative main selling point.

Granted, an ideal port would include multiple characters, stages, music pieces, etc, but ideal isn't the same as realistic, and I don't quite see that happening. I tend to have a more cynical viewpoint on the Smash Team, and for some reason, I don't see them putting too much effort into new content for a port. That said, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has a decent amount of stuff added in it, so maybe my pessimistic viewpoint will be proven wrong.
But why do you think it's going to be a port? A flexible scalable engine designed for porting to wildly differing architectures was already completed with Smash 3DS/Wii U, along with assets to go with it - what's to say they wouldn't use this as a base for something new, as so many companies do?

The "Smash 6" job-posting was put up in April of 2014, they had 120 people then, and wanted 80 more for posts involving things like characters, stages, animation, extra modes, and so on (it's all listed in the link I posted before).

That was three years ago. And we know that it realistically, according to accounts by many developers, takes a matter of weeks to get something up and running on the Switch. (Even a port like The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD took only six months from announcement to shipment, and that was a very complex port that involved lots of tweaking, remaking of assets, and so on, with a game that was not designed with future porting in mind, for a system that was famed for being somewhat difficult to port things to.)

So if it's a no-frills port, why has it not been shown yet, and why would they save something so minimal and unimpressive for, say, a large event like E3?

My bet, personally, is on a new game that re-uses the engine and assets, as that's what it looks like it was all designed for. But that's just me. :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom