• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta "The Saikyo Dojo" Ryu Metagame Discussion.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Alright, let's forget the hype for now. World Warriors, we are in a tournament of legends and we gotta work our way to the top.

We discuss match ups, strategies, combos and etc.

Also post various footage of matches, combos and tech.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
down tilt combos to forward tilt to side-b but we know that

Last edited by a moderator:

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Always use DP when your opponent is standing right next to you, especially right after you have been knocked down, and use Fireball every other time.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Move

Tip

Hadoken

A projectile from a world-class fighting game. Hold down the button to vary how fast it travels. It’ll disappear after a set distance.

Hadoken

Input the commands from the original series to increase the Hadoken’s power. Use it in midair to make Ryu glide slightly.

Hadoken

Quickly input down, down-forward, forward for 1.25x power. You might have to practice a bit to really figure out howtodo a Hadoken.

Hadoken

Input back, down-back, down, down-forward, forward to unleash a fiery Shakunetsu Hadoken that can deal multiple hits.

Shoryuken

When you enter the original commands, Ryu is momentarily invincible, the move is stronger and looks different…and his shout even changes!

Shoryuken

Input the commands from the original series to become invincible until the move is complete. The move needs no recovery time after landing.

Shoryuken

Input forward, down, down-forward for 1.2x attack power. Think you can pull it off? SURE YOU CAN!

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Ryu will float up slightly when using this move after a jump, making this spinning side kick great for recovering.

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Input the commands from the original series to power up the attack. One thing to remember: you can’t use it repeatedly in midair.

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku

Enter down, down-back, back for 1.16x power. Increasing the strength also increases the move’s speed and travel distance.

Focus Attack

Ryu will hold his stance until you release the button or a certain amount of time has passed. Then he’ll unleash the punch.

Focus Attack

By turning the opposite way the moment Ryu punches, he will strike in that direction instead.

Focus Attack

Hitting an opponent with the fully charged version of this move will make them slowly crumple. Time for a follow-up attack!

Focus Attack

You can cancel this move by pressing left or right twice quickly, either while charging or right after the punch connects.

Focus Attack

Ryu can take one hit while readying for this move. This is true until right before he attacks, even when charging the move to maximum power.

Side Smash Attack

Ryu steps forward and unleashes his Joudan Sokutogeri. The tip of his foot is the strongest part, but it won’t hit a small crouching enemy.

Strong Down Attack (Strong)

You might have seen this kick in the original games. Just like in those, you can cancel the move after striking by going straight into a special.

Strong Down Attack (Strong)

Hold down the attack button while crouching to use this move. You can cancel it into a special even if the foe is shielding, but only if you hit.

Strong Down Attack (Weak)

Use this attack by crouching and tapping the attack button. If you hit a downed opponent with it, you’ll knock them back to their feet.

Strong Side Attack (Strong)

Keep up the pressure on a guarding enemy with Ryu’s Collarbone Breaker, a double hit that’s good for shield breaking.

Up Air Attack

This uppercut hits the enemy twice and has a deceptively large range. It’s fairly easy to hit enemies directly over you.

Front Air Attack

Hitting an enemy with Ryu’s foot has higher launch power, while his upper leg is perfect for shield breaking. It’s a good move for combos.

Down Air Attack

This is the only attack in Ryu’s arsenal that has a meteor effect. If it hits, your victim will fly diagonally downward.

Upward Throw

This move kicks a grabbed opponent straight upward. As Ryu brings his leg back down, he’ll hit anyone else unlucky enough to be in the way.

KingofSarus

Smash Rookie
Always use DP when your opponent is standing right next to you, especially right after you have been knocked down, and use Fireball every other time.
So, you're telling us to play Street Fighter? Okay.

WheelerFGC

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ocarinasonwheels
3DS FC
2020-0089-8969
Switch FC
8390-7649-9691
After reading this, he's pretty much Smash4's version of PM Lucario...
WOWOWOW.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Yeah, he's got the right idea.

Anyways, time to be serious. Ryu is looking to be one of the best offensive characters considering how he can cancel many of his moves like he can from SF, but he doesn't seem like he has much to help him play defensively. All he has is Hadouken, and even ignoring the fact that it looks like there can only be one out at a time, jumping isn't a bad option here like it is in SF.

Lunais

Smash Cadet
Yeah, he's got the right idea.

Anyways, time to be serious. Ryu is looking to be one of the best offensive characters considering how he can cancel many of his moves like he can from SF, but he doesn't seem like he has much to help him play defensively. All he has is Hadouken, and even ignoring the fact that it looks like there can only be one out at a time, jumping isn't a bad option here like it is in SF.
Well he does have shoryuken with invincibility under pressure, that's something and if he anticipates a laggier tilt or smash attack he can focus attack through it. At least those along with hadoukens and maybe hurricane kick stalling don't seem to bad if you wanna play defensively. He can also cancel links meaning he can play safe on shields most likely.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
The in-game tips detailing Ryu's specials and normals just shows how interesting this fighter is going to be. I wasn't expecting Sakurai to make him this complex considering Smash 4's environment. Sweet.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
If Ryu keeps his Street Fighter commands for his specials he'll be by far the hardest Smash character to master (especially those who never even played a single game in the series), plus this will break a lot of the 3DS circle pads.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I wonder if Ryu can FADC in this game lol

nKa ProtoType

Smash Rookie
If Ryu keeps his Street Fighter commands for his specials he'll be by far the hardest Smash character to master (especially those who never even played a single game in the series), plus this will break a lot of the 3DS circle pads.
As far as what I've read, it seems that the only attacks that require the QC and Z-pattern inputs are EX attacks. Default versions just require <insert direction> B.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Ryu's inputs are the easiest in the world. He's literally QCF, QCB and DP. That's all for hado, tatsu and shoryu. Those are super easy. It's not like we've got the crazy 360 inputs or pretzel inputs here.

Also If you can play Blazblue and Street Fighter on 3DS he'll be fine lol.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
With the way his cancels work he may be the only char with true safe offense. Also looking at his tips, the f-tilt he has which is his overhead in the SF series may do alot of shield damage.

So he may have true shield pressure as well.

ugh my body is ready.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
With the way his cancels work he may be the only char with true safe offense. Also looking at his tips, the f-tilt he has which is his overhead in the SF series may do alot of shield damage.

So he may have true shield pressure as well.

ugh my body is ready.
I'm reading that page right now, and it says that you can even cancel hits on shields into specials! That is truly amazing, imagine the mind games with focus attack! This character is going to be REALLY cool to watch develop!

nKa ProtoType

Smash Rookie
Ryu's inputs are the easiest in the world. He's literally QCF, QCB and DP. That's all for hado, tatsu and shoryu. Those are super easy. It's not like we've got the crazy 360 inputs or pretzel inputs here
It would also be much easier to do 360 inputs in Sm4sh seeing as you can just disable tap jump, a feature that is not available in SF.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
It would also be much easier to do 360 inputs in Sm4sh seeing as you can just disable tap jump, a feature that is not available in SF.
Oh that's a good point too. I don't usually disable it anyways since I've played 64 and melee so much that it doesn't bug me. But that would be really helpful for a character that had to use an input like that. Not in Street Fighter though lol. Jumping with a button would be poopy.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I'm reading that page right now, and it says that you can even cancel hits on shields into specials! That is truly amazing, imagine the mind games with focus attack! This character is going to be REALLY cool to watch develop!
if by cool you mean broken...muhahahahaha

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I'm personally rooting for him making campy players suffer lol. I also have some bias because I think Ryu vs Captain Falcon sounds like the hypest thing ever.

Alhobbies440

Smash Apprentice
So, which characters do you all think Ryu will do well against?
I don't think he'll do well against sheik or rosa but I think if he can get around projectiles(assuming hadoken sucks vs other projectiles) I can't see him being worse than mid tier.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I don't think he'll do well against sheik or rosa but I think if he can get around projectiles(assuming hadoken sucks vs other projectiles) I can't see him being worse than mid tier.
I don't know if I agree. On paper he sounds really good vs shield, and he has a stunning move with armor, as well as an invincible DP that he can do OOS. That last point actually sounds amazing vs Sheik. I think he'll do well vs both of them. Quote me on it.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
If anything, I think he could potentially do well against Sonic. But we'll see.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
You might not want to claim that Ryu is broken before he is even playable. Everybody said the exact same thing about Palutena before the game was even released, and check out what people think of her now.

I don't think Ryu will be broken. It's just that we haven't played him ourselves so we are trying to imagine how he will play based off what has already been shown to us.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
If anything, I think he could potentially do well against Sonic. But we'll see.
I hadn't thought of Sonic. Sounds actually extremely in Ryu's favor on paper lol. Reversal Shoryu shuts down a TON of Sonic's options on approach. His approach with spin dash relies on being able to hover in the exact area that a move like that is going to hit.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
i hope tatsumaki goes through projectiles like it does in street fighter

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
But....how do you the QCB for the enhanced Tatsumaki without doing a Hadoken in the wrong direction? Either Ryu has some weird turn-around physics, or you have to do it pretty darn fast, and consistently...

Doubly so for the enhanced Shoryuken, wouldn't want your invincible vertical recovery turning into a horizontal recovery beneath the ledge....

Last edited:

Alhobbies440

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if I agree. On paper he sounds really good vs shield, and he has a stunning move with armor, as well as an invincible DP that he can do OOS. That last point actually sounds amazing vs Sheik. I think he'll do well vs both of them. Quote me on it.
lol. I think so too, but I'm trying not to get my hopes too high.
I hadn't thought of Sonic. Sounds actually extremely in Ryu's favor on paper lol. Reversal Shoryu shuts down a TON of Sonic's options on approach. His approach with spin dash relies on being able to hover in the exact area that a move like that is going to hit.
Yeah I was about to mention that on paper he seems to have a great matchup against sonic.
i hope tatsumaki goes through projectiles like it does in street fighter
Me too. That would make him EXTREMELY good when you factor in everything else.

Top Bottom