• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Rosalina General/Social Thread: 2nd Edition

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
As i said , Rosalina doesn't represent Nintendo as a whole in any way like Mario himself as the biggest character of his own franchise does.

That's like comparing Juri from Street Fighter to Megaman.

Comparing Peach , the female character with the longest history in Nintendo , is not going to work either.

Rosalina indeed represents the modern games , as the modern character she is.

She , however does not represent The company like Mario, Luigi or Princess Peach do.

Rosalina will never have the amount of merchandise Peach has , including stamps , images, plushes, dolls , games , figures , Custom sets and items like stylus and cases for the DS etc. And she is certainly not in the level of having someone automatically recognizing her and remind them of ''Mario'' like other characters do.

In other words , other characters clearly deserve the title of mascot as they truly represent the company to this day and have done that over many years ; Rosalina has yet to achive this currently.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
As i said , Rosalina doesn't represent Nintendo as a whole in any way like Mario himself as the biggest character of his own franchise does.

That's like comparing Juri from Street Fighter to Megaman.

Comparing Peach , the female character with the longest history in Nintendo , is not going to work either.

Rosalina indeed represents the modern games , as the modern character she is.

She , however does not represent The company like Mario, Luigi or Princess Peach do.

Rosalina will never have the amount of merchandise Peach has , including stamps , images, plushes, dolls , games , figures , Custom sets and items like stylus and cases for the DS etc. And she is certainly not in the level of having someone automatically recognizing her and remind them of ''Mario'' like other characters do.

In other words , other characters clearly deserve the title of mascot as they truly represent the company to this day and have done that over many years ; Rosalina has yet to achive this currently.
Rosalina does represent the company.

I mean I won't keep the image spam going but, really.

I don't know why people are grasping at straws to say "uuuuh she's not THAT popular".

When you debuted means jack. Look at Shadow in the Sonic franchise. He debuted on the franchise's tenth anniversary, and is officially stated as being the second most popular Sonic character, only second to Sonic himself.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
i honestly cannot agree to be honest.

As big fan of the character , like many know that i am , people would assume that my opinion would be different , but facts need to be stated.

I strongly believe Rosalina does indeed have a representation within Nintendo, which is the modern era of modern games that continue to come. This is real as Rosalina is indeed safe to be featured in the media as the ''NEW'' in many new entries of previous retro series , which is amazing as i wouldn't have it otherwise.

However , the simple fact that if i go to my mom and ask ''Who is this'' ? showing her this pic:

And she will surely say ''Peach'' or ''the princess Mario rescues'' does say a lot to me.

Not even my younger cousin knows who this gal is , so she surely needs more years to be noticed and labeled as a Major representative.

She is simply not in the levels of recognition of a retro character with true history with Nintendo , that's the way i see it.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
i honestly cannot agree to be honest.

As big fan of the character , like many know that i am , people would assume that my opinion would be different , but facts need to be stated.

I strongly believe Rosalina does indeed have a representation within Nintendo, which is the modern era of modern games that continue to come. This is real as Rosalina is indeed safe to be featured in the media as the ''NEW'' in many new entries of previous retro series , which is amazing as i wouldn't have it otherwise.

However , the simple fact that if i go to my mom and ask ''Who is this'' ? showing her this pic:

And she will surely say ''Peach'' or ''the princess Mario rescues'' does say a lot to me.

Not even my younger cousin knows who this gal is , so she surely needs more years to be noticed and labeled as a Major representative.

She is simply not in the levels of recognition of a retro character with true history with Nintendo , that's the way i see it.
That's completely anecdotal evidence.

Most people you know may not know her, but I'm the opposite. Most people I know, know who the character is, if they're not outright a fan themselves, and that's before talking to me.

Maybe she isn't particularly popular in your area, but it's like that with any character. There are some places where they aren't well known. This applies event to Peach.

Ironically, my mother mistakes Peach for Rosalina, since she associates Rosalina as being a female Mario character. It's especially funny as I have a Peach sticker on my original 3DS, so you'd think she'd know by now, but no, she still confuses her for Rosalina sometimes.

Certain characters are just more popular in certain places. How she is in your area does not apply everywhere else. I know for a fact, Rosalina is INSANELY popular in Japan (which is the most important place to be honest).

While I won't argue that she's just as recognisable as Peach just yet, I don't think that matters. She's still ultimately more beloved than Peach is, and most other Mario characters. Which is better than simply being known. It's not a matter of if she will become as recognisable, it's a matter of when.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Would you guys want Rosalina to be in the same mascot level as Luigi, Bowser, Yoshi, etc? It'd be pretty neat if she was seen more often, but she could be over-saturated by Nintendo if they went over the top with Rosalina seen everywhere (like Peach).
Why not? She represents Super Mario Galaxy afterall, most people might not know her name but at least know she is from Mario Galaxy.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
I think he meant Rosalina is being exposed more as a female representative of the Modern Mario games, which is true as you can see more of Rosalina in promotional artwork in the more recent games.

She is not in any way replacing Peach as the female face of Mario , nor in the ''mascot'' levels of Yoshi , Bowser , Luigi or even Toad, however.
I guess you're right. Sorry for misinterpreting it.

She already is in the mascot league with the rest of them.

why

do

people

still

struggle

to

accept

that?

Seriously, she was insanely popular when she debuted, and her popularity has only gotten bigger since. She actually started off more naturally popular than most other characters.

She's also hitting her 10th anniversary next year.

Rosalina is here to stay and at this point, it's becoming close to a point where Peach and Rosalina are interchangable as the main female mascot of Mario. Notice how for the platformers and stuff, they use Peach more since you save her and because it's tradition? But then when it's been a spin-off lately, it's Rosalina who takes prominence?

This is because Peach isn't exactly a good female face for a franchise in this day and age, and Nintendo realise this (her absence on the Women's History Month promotion hits that home in particular). However, she's been with the franchise for 30 years, so they can't exactly just up and give her the boot, because that would confuse people from a branding standpoint.

That's why, for the platformers and RPGs, Peach is more prominent, since she's so ingrained into the legacy of those games. However, in everything else lately, Rosalina has easily been more prominent, from Mario Kart, to Smash, to Tennis, to the Badge Arcade. That's because Peach has never been as prominent in those games and is just sort of a by the numbers inclusion. It also means they can use Rosalina as a more empowering female, which is good for their marketing, as that's what people actually prefer in a female character these days. So they keep to tradition for the main series and RPGs since people expect that from them, and expect Peach to be there. But in anything else, they switch out for Rosalina as the more prominent figure, since she is a more positive role model, and they know she's the fan favourite.

Wario and Toad really are not comparable to her either. Wario got his own two franchises but they have been fizzled out. Now he's just spin-off fodder, just slightly better off than Waluigi and Daisy because he gets into Smash. Toad is a stock race rather than a specific character. Easy to implement onto merchandise because of his simplistic design, but Toads are just "there" in most Mario titles, unless it's Captain Toad.

Miyamoto is over his dislike for Rosalina, and the team at EAD loves her to death, according to two certain interviews.

She is definitely a big character and EAD fully intend to keep using her.
I very much agree with you. If this is so true, why was Rosalina an exlusive character in Mario & Sonic Rio Olympic Game, to only one event like in the 3DS version? (Well, I think she might be in aquatics as well considering she's water element in that dragon puzzle game or whatever you call it.) While Peach and Daisy have all the outfits, Rosalina only has one just because she's exclusive, and I know that for the other newcomers. Well, it's bad either way. Also, I don't even know how Rosalina was featured in some of those pictures, like the Women's History Month, (But I know she was in one of those type of pictures in Royal Raceway) the Mario Kart CD Laps, and the carpets and sticker ones. And I believe her anniversary's this November, which is so far away. Rosalina should just be treated equally as every other characters are to be playable, but she just had to be exclusive.

EDIT: I may have posted this a bit late, oh well... Posted too late to know that the discussion ended.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
@Tizio Random
Well, well, I had just watch the first episode of Gurren Lagann, and it's pretty good.
Also My Hero Academia also has English dub recently, and it fits well...

Arned123

Smash Rookie
Would you guys want Rosalina to be in the same mascot level as Luigi, Bowser, Yoshi, etc? It'd be pretty neat if she was seen more often, but she could be over-saturated by Nintendo if they went over the top with Rosalina seen everywhere (like Peach).
I personally would love if she was on the same level as them although it is debatable if she is or not I still think it would be cool to have her featured as a playable character in more games

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Rosalina gets her own set of games, then perhaps that could give her a series symbol of her own, if another Super Smash Bros. is ever planned that is.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
If Rosalina gets her own set of games, then perhaps that could give her a series symbol of her own, if another Super Smash Bros. is ever planned that is.
Yeah, I'd like if Rosalina got her own games too. Personally, I don't know if we'll ever get a game that's specific to Rosalina, but I think there could be like another Galaxy game where Mario and Rosalina are playable. So she'd be playable in a main Super Mario game... kinda like 3D World.

Super Mario 3D World counts as main Super Mario game, right? (Just making sure I don't get that wrong).

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Ehh it counts as a main game , yet Rosalina is basically not part of the ''main'' part as she is a unlockeable bonus character.
Everything after the final boss is a bonus.

There's a reason why Rosalina doesn't appear as a cat in the final credits along with the main cast , not even when you beat the game as her. She appears like she was a NPC supporting character in the finale , the role that suits her best since galaxy.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Ehh it counts as a main game , yet Rosalina is basically not part of the ''main'' part as she is a unlockeable bonus character.
Everything after the final boss is a bonus.

There's a reason why Rosalina doesn't appear as a cat in the final credits along with the main cast , not even when you beat the game as her. She appears like she was a NPC supporting character in the finale , the role that suits her best since galaxy.
When it comes to the Galaxy example I mentioned, I'd have Rosalina alongside Mario as a main playable character, so it wouldn't be like 3D World then. Thanks for the clarification on 3D World.

So yeah. You guys get the gist of what I'm saying.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Even if Rosalina doesn't get her own games, a series of short TV episodes that focus on her and the Lumas could always be made instead.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The other side of that though, is that they made Rosalina unlockable as they felt she was one of the only characters worthy of being an unlockable "surprise" (in quotations because NoA spoiled the surprise, though the developers intended for her to be a surprise), because she's beloved and fills the gap of having another female character. This was confirmed in the Iwata Asks (I was about to get the quote but something is wrong with the Iwata Asks site right now :\).

Her being unlockable in the game does not de-value her appearance, she's still just as important as the rest of the playable characters (this is like saying certain Smash characters are "less important" because they are unlockable, or DLC). You have to work for the best things in life, after all. There's also the fact she is the best character in the game, to the point where she completely breaks it. That's what REALLY called for her to be unlockable.

As far as her future goes, I think she is well overdue for at least one game starring her and only her (and the Lumas), with characters like Mario and Peach not showing up, like in Wario's games. Ideally, we'd get more backstory about her too, like maybe being able to play as her at different stages of her life (child, teenager, and adult), and getting to see more of her powers and how she got to the stage she's at in the first place. At the very least though, there's so much potential for her to just have a general action/adventure/RPG type game. Just having some kind of new villain to go up against who threatens the existence of the universe, and you go around to different galaxies, meeting different races and characters, saving them one at a time, and what not, just Rosalina carrying out her duties as protector of the cosmos. Something like this could easily be a franchise. They could also make a Luma raising mini-game, as part of a larger game, as a 3DS spin-off game, or as a mobile game.

I think something like this would make for great cover art for a Rosalina game too:

At the very least though, if they make Galaxy 3 a thing, I could see them giving Rosalina her own story mode, possibly after you beat Mario and Luigi's. It could work naturally too. Mario is at the mercy of the gravity of the planets he is on. Make Rosalina the opposite. She controls gravity at will, being able to change how heavy or light gravity is on a planet, and even being able to make things have no gravity, allowing things to fly around. This could be used for all kinds of platforming puzzles.

Last edited:

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
It's really argueable to say who is the best character in 3D World.

Both Peach and Rosalina seem to be ''the best'' as pretty much Luigi and Toad have neutral abilities that are not really that helpful. And Mario is just ... well Mario , the standard character with no specials.

Rosalina has some pros in her when she lacks power ups in the offense , but is the slowest character , even slower than Peach.

Rosalina has excellent jumpin ability too , but loses her extra jump and spin Galaxy signature attack once she powers up.

However , While Peach is slow , she is not as slow as Rosalina.

Peach also has the ultimate upper hand mixing her signature Floating ability with Any power up , which makes her unstoppable.

With the Help of Floating + Tanooki Leaf you can Skip almost an entire level IIRC , not to mention it makes stuff overall easier as well.

It's only arguable , as Peach only gains by mixing her abilities and being able to do specials as well, while Rosalina loses hers when becoming a cat and etc.

Even so i have the most fun playing as Rosalina in long runs without power ups. It feels just right.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
It's really argueable to say who is the best character in 3D World.

Both Peach and Rosalina seem to be ''the best'' as pretty much Luigi and Toad have neutral abilities that are not really that helpful. And Mario is just ... well Mario , the standard character with no specials.

Rosalina has some pros in her when she lacks power ups in the offense , but is the slowest character , even slower than Peach.

Rosalina has excellent jumpin ability too , but loses her extra jump and spin Galaxy signature attack once she powers up.

However , While Peach is slow , she is not as slow as Rosalina.

Peach also has the ultimate upper hand mixing her signature Floating ability with Any power up , which makes her unstoppable.

With the Help of Floating + Tanooki Leaf you can Skip almost an entire level IIRC , not to mention it makes stuff overall easier as well.

It's only arguable , as Peach only gains by mixing her abilities and being able to do specials as well, while Rosalina loses hers when becoming a cat and etc.

Even so i have the most fun playing as Rosalina in long runs without power ups. It feels just right.
Rosalina can as well make her way around a level, having access to Megaman X's wall climb because of her spin attack.
The other side of that though, is that they made Rosalina unlockable as they felt she was one of the only characters worthy of being an unlockable "surprise" (in quotations because NoA spoiled the surprise, though the developers intended for her to be a surprise), because she's beloved and fills the gap of having another female character. This was confirmed in the Iwata Asks (I was about to get the quote but something is wrong with the Iwata Asks site right now :\).

Her being unlockable in the game does not de-value her appearance, she's still just as important as the rest of the playable characters (this is like saying certain Smash characters are "less important" because they are unlockable, or DLC). You have to work for the best things in life, after all. There's also the fact she is the best character in the game, to the point where she completely breaks it. That's what REALLY called for her to be unlockable.

As far as her future goes, I think she is well overdue for at least one game starring her and only her (and the Lumas), with characters like Mario and Peach not showing up, like in Wario's games. Ideally, we'd get more backstory about her too, like maybe being able to play as her at different stages of her life (child, teenager, and adult), and getting to see more of her powers and how she got to the stage she's at in the first place. At the very least though, there's so much potential for her to just have a general action/adventure/RPG type game. Just having some kind of new villain to go up against who threatens the existence of the universe, and you go around to different galaxies, meeting different races and characters, saving them one at a time, and what not, just Rosalina carrying out her duties as protector of the cosmos. Something like this could easily be a franchise. They could also make a Luma raising mini-game, as part of a larger game, as a 3DS spin-off game, or as a mobile game.

I think something like this would make for great cover art for a Rosalina game too:

At the very least though, if they make Galaxy 3 a thing, I could see them giving Rosalina her own story mode, possibly after you beat Mario and Luigi's. It could work naturally too. Mario is at the mercy of the gravity of the planets he is on. Make Rosalina the opposite. She controls gravity at will, being able to change how heavy or light gravity is on a planet, and even being able to make things have no gravity, allowing things to fly around. This could be used for all kinds of platforming puzzles.
Why the image is broken normally but is visible when I quote it?
Anyway, I can easily see an example of Cutscene power to the max, given that gravity is indeed the weakest of the four fundamental forces, but as well the only one curving spacetime itself(actually, it's the curvature itself),
if you ever bring up again the argument of Rosalina being a godlike creature, you can use this: anyone mastering gravitokinesis can curve not only space but time as well, literally altering the speed of time, without escape, as technically gravity is everywhere.
Quite recently found this out, and I might not have fully comprehended this, but I' pretty sure I got the general mechanism, wich is that gravity is actually a curvature in spacetime and alters both of them.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina is the best in 3D World because default Rosalina is the best "power-up" in the game. I say this as someone who can speed run 3D World

Her low movement speed on the ground is completely irrelevant, because she can just long jump and spin everywhere, which is faster than Toad's running (the second fastest method of natural ground travel in 3D World).

The spin combined with the long jump takes Rosalina very far across pits too. It is also amazing if you can build up momentum through sliding on hills and jumping and spinning from them, and stuff like that. This allows her to just flat out skip a lot of obstacles, more so than Peach's float, and at a faster, more consistent rate since float does not work with the long jump and is very slow and doesn't go that far. Building up horizontal aerial momentum is not as easy with Peach either, because Rosalina has floatier physics and falls slower than Peach does.

However, outside of the obvious double jump and attack properties of the spin, it has a hidden property they don't tell you about - momentum shifting.

If Rosalina performs the spin, her momentum swiftly shifts in whatever direction the control stick is held. This can allow her to carry momentum in a straight line by continuing to hold the same direction she jumped towards, cancel all forward momentum by pulling in the opposite direction, or to make sharp mid-air turns to the left or right. This allows her to do things like infinitely wall jumping incredibly fast off a corner wall, even faster than scaling it with the cat suit:

She can also infinitely traverse horizontally across a flat wall, allowing her to bypass sections quickly that would normally require waiting for some kind of foothold to traverse (in this case, giant ants that walk slowly across the spikes that you need to bounce on) And of course, the different exploits can be seamlessly combined together:

It's also possible to make Rosalina infinitely scale VERTICALLY up a single wall, but these takes a lot of precision and practice and is only really useful if you want to get out of bounds. You never actually need long stretches of this for speed running, but short bursts of it can get her on top of platforms quicker than the others:

Combing techniques, you can pull of crazy things like this:

I feel like this hidden property is probably intentional, combined with her Luigi-like air physics, to reference her control over gravity.

As well as this, since the spin is an excellent attack too, you can basically ignore most enemy threats while you focus on the platforming. She's also the best in enemy rumble stages because of this.

As far as Peach goes, without any power-ups, she is the worst character in the game for speed running. She has a slow running speed, and doesn't have a way of making up for it with a technique that speeds her up like Rosalina (her long jump doesn't go as far because she falls faster, and she can't use the float out of long jump).

Peach CAN be the best speed running character, but ONLY in a select few levels, with power-ups. It also has the disadvantage of requiring pre-preparation. Essentially, you have to get a Tanooki Suit, and then get a Cat Suit to push the Tanooki Suit into your item reserve. Then, you have to find a really high area or a place that allows for an extreme speed boost, near the beginning of the stage (otherwise it's redundant). You then have to place the Tanooki Leaf precisely on the edge, and do the "Cat Suit Boost" trick into it (or use the other means of boost nearby - like using the "infinite acceleration" glitch on ice). You have to jump RIGHT before hitting the Tanooki Leaf. This allows you to transform mid-jump, and then you will retain momentum from the boost you performed. You can then go really far with Peach's float, and even further still with the Tanooki Suit float. If the level has a high starting point, and a low goal post, or an extreme boost of sorts at the start like the ice for the acceleration glitch, you can fly across the entire level, straight to the goal.

However, since this is only useful in certain levels, Peach cannot be called the best speed run character overall. Rosalina is better in any other level, and especially if you are factoring in collectibles.

In standard, fresh save file runs of SM3DW, people actually use Luigi for the majority of the playthrough, since his jump properties are like Rosalina's, just without the spin, and he runs faster than Peach. Then they switch out to Peach if they want to do the level skip trick in an applicable level, but this is actually not useful in a 100% run.

EDIT: Rosalina can also defeat the Histocratts in seconds because she can just back flip and spin on top of them, not needing to use the plates.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Some courses pretty much require you to use certain power-ups if you don't want to lose a lot of lives though. Broken Blue Bully Belt is a huge example of this, where the Super Leaf is pretty much a must if you don't want your life counter to suffer.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Some courses pretty much require you to use certain power-ups if you don't want to lose a lot of lives though. Broken Blue Bully Belt is a huge example of this, where the Super Leaf is pretty much a must if you don't want your life counter to suffer.
Not if you're good at the game, especially with Rosalina. Seriously, her spin is just as good as the Tanooki Suit a lot of the time.

Arned123

Smash Rookie
I've never played 3d world, I like the 2d Mario games and the 3d ones look interesting to me. I just wanted to know if it is good and if i should pick it up.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've never played 3d world, I like the 2d Mario games and the 3d ones look interesting to me. I just wanted to know if it is good and if i should pick it up.
You should definitely get it if you have a Wii U.

It's sort of like a fusion of 3D Mario and 2D Mario.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Not if you're good at the game, especially with Rosalina. Seriously, her spin is just as good as the Tanooki Suit a lot of the time.
Still, if you want to be precise with your landings, the Super Leaf helps with that. This does sacrifice Rosalina's Star Spin attack, however, so you'd have to choose between being fast, or being careful if you're using her.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
I'm extremely disgusted by social media.

Just to look for a picture of Rosalina (this happens with other characters too) takes me to a ton of Lewd images on twitter.

what the ****ing hell?

This is a sign that we are doomed as a society.

Just to search for this , and i want to puke now.

Last edited:

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
They were ****ing literally.

I don't care about bikini pics , those are stupid enough to get a pass.

The ones with literal porn material make me puke , in the face of the people that made that.

I'm done with social media , so disgusting.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm fine with "doing the do" as long as all of the characters appear to be willing. I actually have seen certain ones that have a kind of passionate, loving look to them, and those are pretty great.

I only get disgusted by certain fetishes, and in particular, if it degrades Rosalina into a really submissive character (like someone doing things to her against her will, as if that would happen to her. Or even worse, fetishistic vore). Kinda goes for any character really, I don't like seeing that kind of thing.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It definitely looks bad to see Rosalina drawings that are way out of character. I'd rather take a drawing like this one...

Rosalina looks very cute, and the Luma adds to the cuteness.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Rosalina is the best in 3D World because default Rosalina is the best "power-up" in the game. I say this as someone who can speed run 3D World

Her low movement speed on the ground is completely irrelevant, because she can just long jump and spin everywhere, which is faster than Toad's running (the second fastest method of natural ground travel in 3D World).

The spin combined with the long jump takes Rosalina very far across pits too. It is also amazing if you can build up momentum through sliding on hills and jumping and spinning from them, and stuff like that. This allows her to just flat out skip a lot of obstacles, more so than Peach's float, and at a faster, more consistent rate since float does not work with the long jump and is very slow and doesn't go that far. Building up horizontal aerial momentum is not as easy with Peach either, because Rosalina has floatier physics and falls slower than Peach does.

However, outside of the obvious double jump and attack properties of the spin, it has a hidden property they don't tell you about - momentum shifting.

If Rosalina performs the spin, her momentum swiftly shifts in whatever direction the control stick is held. This can allow her to carry momentum in a straight line by continuing to hold the same direction she jumped towards, cancel all forward momentum by pulling in the opposite direction, or to make sharp mid-air turns to the left or right. This allows her to do things like infinitely wall jumping incredibly fast off a corner wall, even faster than scaling it with the cat suit:

She can also infinitely traverse horizontally across a flat wall, allowing her to bypass sections quickly that would normally require waiting for some kind of foothold to traverse (in this case, giant ants that walk slowly across the spikes that you need to bounce on) And of course, the different exploits can be seamlessly combined together:

It's also possible to make Rosalina infinitely scale VERTICALLY up a single wall, but these takes a lot of precision and practice and is only really useful if you want to get out of bounds. You never actually need long stretches of this for speed running, but short bursts of it can get her on top of platforms quicker than the others:

Combing techniques, you can pull of crazy things like this:

I feel like this hidden property is probably intentional, combined with her Luigi-like air physics, to reference her control over gravity.

As well as this, since the spin is an excellent attack too, you can basically ignore most enemy threats while you focus on the platforming. She's also the best in enemy rumble stages because of this.

As far as Peach goes, without any power-ups, she is the worst character in the game for speed running. She has a slow running speed, and doesn't have a way of making up for it with a technique that speeds her up like Rosalina (her long jump doesn't go as far because she falls faster, and she can't use the float out of long jump).

Peach CAN be the best speed running character, but ONLY in a select few levels, with power-ups. It also has the disadvantage of requiring pre-preparation. Essentially, you have to get a Tanooki Suit, and then get a Cat Suit to push the Tanooki Suit into your item reserve. Then, you have to find a really high area or a place that allows for an extreme speed boost, near the beginning of the stage (otherwise it's redundant). You then have to place the Tanooki Leaf precisely on the edge, and do the "Cat Suit Boost" trick into it (or use the other means of boost nearby - like using the "infinite acceleration" glitch on ice). You have to jump RIGHT before hitting the Tanooki Leaf. This allows you to transform mid-jump, and then you will retain momentum from the boost you performed. You can then go really far with Peach's float, and even further still with the Tanooki Suit float. If the level has a high starting point, and a low goal post, or an extreme boost of sorts at the start like the ice for the acceleration glitch, you can fly across the entire level, straight to the goal.

However, since this is only useful in certain levels, Peach cannot be called the best speed run character overall. Rosalina is better in any other level, and especially if you are factoring in collectibles.

In standard, fresh save file runs of SM3DW, people actually use Luigi for the majority of the playthrough, since his jump properties are like Rosalina's, just without the spin, and he runs faster than Peach. Then they switch out to Peach if they want to do the level skip trick in an applicable level, but this is actually not useful in a 100% run.

EDIT: Rosalina can also defeat the Histocratts in seconds because she can just back flip and spin on top of them, not needing to use the plates.
Man, that brought back memories of The Runaway Guys playthru of 3D World when Chuggaaconroy (playing Rosalina) managed to get by the end of the level in those last two pictures at the last second.

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
Look like everyone's having fun. And is it me or does Rosalina seem the type of character who wouldn't be a cheerleader? Well, same goes for Zelda. They belong in the court! And I can't tell if that person on the right bottom corner's Link or Shulk, Lmao.

Killo89

Smash Ace
NNID
Ilok89
3DS FC
2681-1840-2189
Switch FC
SW-7525-9685-3105
Look like everyone's having fun. And is it me or does Rosalina seem the type of character who wouldn't be a cheerleader? Well, same goes for Zelda. They belong in the court! And I can't tell if that person on the right bottom corner's Link or Shulk, Lmao.
I think Rosalina's on the court, in fact. I'm not sure why she's teamed up with Falcon, but hey. Pretty nice pic I think, I like Summer Smashers because so much could happen.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
I was thinking in doing some other stuff to expand the appreaciation for Rosalina.
Since i don't have much time atm to continue the art , i think custom logos for some other projects and wallpapers will do.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I found a very cute take on Cat Rosalina.

The original image is small in resolution, but I found a REALLY cool tool online that lets you double the size of an image, without any blur or pixelation. Trying it out with my laptop connected to the TV and it's amazing. It's like the image is being completely re-rendered.

5e94446f-84d2-4159-aadc-275482b04ec1.png

Char Seasalina

Smash Ace
NNID
CharlotteBelle33
I think Rosalina's on the court, in fact. I'm not sure why she's teamed up with Falcon, but hey. Pretty nice pic
I think, I like Summer Smashers because so much could happen.
I know she's on the court, cause she's too serious to be a cheerleader. Like how Zelda is. She's teamed with Captain Falcon because they're both OP and cool.

I think it is Toon link because of the green swim trunks
Oh, right. The hair gave it away, huh.

All the while, summer is drawing near.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I tried putting Rosalina's SMG1 artwork through that tool I'm using, and the results are amazing.

Top is the original artwork, and the bottom is the updated version this tool produced for me. Make sure to view full size or open them in different tabs to see the difference.

fea4bb27-6d31-4535-b9b1-3d74670c7d4f.png

Top Bottom