• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Rosalina General/Social Thread: 2nd Edition

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
So TTGo is supposed to have an audience that is at least over 7-8?
Teen Titans Go is simply bad.

Edit because it sounds too pretentious: what I was saying is that Teen Titans Go doesn't seem to make joke actually based on some audience like fanservice does. They seem so random and thought badly, in fact this is one reason why this show is awful.

Last edited:

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Teen Titans Go is simply bad.
I know, but I cannot think of some people over 7-8 that can enjoy the show enough to justify watching it, it looks like they had a list of stuff to do
  • put a dumb setting to start the plot- Check
  • put some really dumb session of dialogue and/or imagery to appeal to 6-years old- Check
  • show Raven's Super Deformed legs to appeal to 12-years old and curses the shows' fandom- Check
  • put completely arbitrary and forced plot twists that serve more to try and take a giggle off the audience than actually advancing the plot- Check
  • put a glaring example of terrifying animation- Check
  • put some eye-burning color palette to keep the audience to focus on the traces of good humour there are- Check
  • put some cringeworthy dubbing- Check
  • have constant close-ups of characters to remember how poorly made they are and how they differ from their original show- Check
  • put some reference to the original show- Check
  • Put some glaring evidence that the writers never saw the original show- Check
  • put character shouting words and changing colors like actually changing shape when exxagerating emotions like in oriental animations, like they were too budget consuming- Check

Last edited:

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
show Raven's Super Deformed legs to appeal to 12-years old and curses the shows' fandom- Check
Yep, that was the thing I was referring. I mean, what kind of "joke" or "gag" is that? Is that considerabile "fanservice"?
For my point of view it's too badly made as a joke and as " adult stuff" to be convincing. Good shows aimed also at kids like Kim Possible (my all-time favourite western cartoon) and even Powerpuff Girls (in the form of Miss Bellum) had some fanservice but they were good show and those parts were made to appeal teens and Young adults.
In Teen Titans Go what was the purpose?!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It should probably be noted that Teen Titans Go! is a TV-PG program, which means that it contains stuff that may not be suitable for children, and recommends parental supervision.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Fan service is fine if A) it's the entire point of the show or at least one of the main points (like a show I'm watching right now), or B) it's in moderation and not over the top. You can have fan service that's subtle.

And it's silly to act like what a fandom does with a character should "ruin" the character. As long as the official material doesn't adopt the fandom's bad habits, it's fine.

I mean if I let fandoms effect my view on Rosalina, she'd be the anti-thesis of the kind of character I like.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Okay, I know it sounds hypocritical how I'm going back on my word from what I just said two days ago, but **** Nintendo. It made a little sense to have character exclusivity in a handheld version because blah blah hardware blah blah, but for a console version too? Nintendo, what in the actual **** is wrong with you?

First, you make a quarter-baked game from a once beloved series, Mario Tennis, and put no effort into the eight or so months you spent on that filler title aside from giving Rosalina an amazing new outfit. Then, you and Sega work on a new installment to a Mario and Sonic crossover that was never what people were really looking for since 2008, you design another great outfit for Rosalina to own some fools in, and then you make her exclusive to one event in both versions. Yes, it is also a Sega game, but I can't help but feel Nintendo wanted to butt in and give yet another slap in the face to Wii U owners who still give a damn about the console. And Star Fox Zero? While I have yet to play it, and people say it feels better over time, not giving us a conventional control option is some bull**** right there. I'd like to see you try to convince people now about why Paper Mario: Color Splash and TMS#FE should be worth their time.

And today, here comes the real juicy ****. Not only is Nintendo having Zelda as the only playable game, but they're not even SHOWING us anything else! No Digital Event OR press conference! Nintendo, you are severely out of your minds if you think people will trust you if you pull off this ****! So, I have already made my decision. I will not buy the NX AT ALL until the thing ceases production so Nintendo doesn't get my hard-earned money in their filthy hands. I won't buy an NX for Ice Climbers in Smash 5. I won't buy an NX for F-Zero or Metroid. I won't even buy an NX for a dedicated Rosalina title.

I'd much rather have Nintendo just give up now, pull out of the console market, and go third party. Putting all their eggs in the elusive NX basket was such a horrible mistake. I've now officially lost all faith in them. This is beyond unacceptable. Farewell, Nintendo. You just lost a core fan. No wonder why they're losing so many core fans. But this, I believe, is the biggest example of them chasing away even more chunks of what they have left. So **** Nintendo, **** Konami, and **** Nintendo!

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
I know ya'll talking about a TV program (Teen Titans "Gross"), but I just recently hacked my Wii U, so I'm running tons of custom music. When ChikoLad ChikoLad linked that Twitter post with custom Rosalina mods, that's when I decided to mod Smash. Later on, I'm gonna try modding Rosalina's last 4 palette swaps to be variations of the Cosmic Spirit:

(These are my favorite colors I will change)

(Here's the Cosmic Spirit. It will come in red, standard, black, & white)

As for the Luma colors, I don't know. What colors should I put on Luma?

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
I'm more interested in Mario Kart mods. Particularly in sound mods if you get what i'm saying. I need to have everything the way i want it to be , the way it's suppoused to be by god's word.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I know ya'll talking about a TV program (Teen Titans "Gross"), but I just recently hacked my Wii U, so I'm running tons of custom music. When ChikoLad ChikoLad linked that Twitter post with custom Rosalina mods, that's when I decided to mod Smash. Later on, I'm gonna try modding Rosalina's last 4 palette swaps to be variations of the Cosmic Spirit:

(These are my favorite colors I will change)

(Here's the Cosmic Spirit. It will come in red, standard, black, & white)

As for the Luma colors, I don't know. What colors should I put on Luma?
Aww nuts, I was making Cosmic Spirit too. :c

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
Well , you can settle that in smash!

... no? ok...

Or you can simply do the same texture mod and see which one looks better. From what i know , nobody seems to get the texture of the CS right at all...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Whenever I hear people trash talk about Nintendo, it just makes me so sick to my stomach. At least Nintendo has made games that have caught my interest, which is something that the PlayStation and XBOX have really failed to do.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
To be fair , all can be equally bad as a whole.

It's just that Nintendo has this trend of ruining everything this gen for some reason.

Besides i would enjoy games of each platform ; Being exclusive to 1 would be so stupid , specially if you pick Nintendo in this gen.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To be fair , all can be equally bad as a whole.

It's just that Nintendo has this trend of ruining everything this gen for some reason.

Besides i would enjoy games of each platform ; Being exclusive to 1 would be so stupid , specially if you pick Nintendo in this gen.
It clearly doesn't help knowing that Nintendo has lost Iwata, and it feels like without him, things have not gone well.

You see, I've pretty much been limited to Nintendo, because the PlayStation and XBOX have not been known for making games that I'd ever touch. The only exception would be the PlayStation during the PS1 and PS2 eras, but starting with PS3, that's when things went downhill.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Honestly my favorite part of the Mario and Sonic Olympic Games is how the Sega Sound Team remixes various Mario Songs. Some of my favorites are Buoy Base and the 64 Slide
Yeah, the apparently didn't even do much of that this time.

There's no Dream Events, so they have no place for them.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
I'm still trying to figure out how a series that always delivers its , again , turned into crap?

Does Nintendo likes Mario anymore besides Mario Kart?

It's like they literally don't want decent costumers to buy the games anymore ; this is some weird stuff.

Am i gonna waste money in pretty graphics?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The Olympics are made my SEGA so I'm not sure it's fully Nintendo's fault, if much at all.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
I would say the fault lies on SEGA. There are different portions of SEGA that handle different games (kinda like how they have 2 Sonic development teams; one for bigger budget Sonic titles, the other for smaller budget Sonic titles, which have done better than bigger budget :p).

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I would say the fault lies on SEGA. There are different portions of SEGA that handle different games (kinda like how they have 2 Sonic development teams; one for bigger budget Sonic titles, the other for smaller budget Sonic titles, which have done better than bigger budget :p).
Uuuh, not really.

The B team developed Colours, Lost World, and the Storybook games. Maybe Runners too.

The A team developed Unleashed and Generations as of late.

The only thing the B team made that didn't have messy reception was Colours.

Unleashed got panned review wise but they were extremely unfair and non-sensical, and while no everyone likes Unleashed, people at least RESPECT it because it's the most ambitious Sonic title we had since Sonic Adventure. And Generations is just one of the best received Sonic games in general.

The A team are also developing the upcoming 25th Anniversary game, maybe even taking members from the B team for the project too, if rumours are to be believed.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Whenever I hear people trash talk about Nintendo, it just makes me so sick to my stomach. At least Nintendo has made games that have caught my interest, which is something that the PlayStation and XBOX have really failed to do.
People "trash talking" Nintendo is understandable and they have every right to do so. Nintendo just literally went downhill in recent months and I highly doubt that they'll ever fix anything for all the dumbass decisions they've made. Not showing anything else other than Zelda Wii U at E3 this year? What kind of stupid **** is that? It's only a matter of time until Nintendo follows in SEGA's footsteps and go third party if this keeps up.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
For what it's worth, Nintendo is actually having a closed doors meeting at E3 to announce more stuff.

At E3 2014, they announced Pac-Man for Smash, and the existence of Codename STEAM, through this kind of thing.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
No. This is Nintendo's fault .

I'm not buying the fact that this is because the games are in charge of different studios or companies.

M&S sucks? let's blame Sega.

Mario Tennis sucks? Let's blame Camelot

Mario Party sucks? let's blame ND cube.

This needs to stop. It's not gonna work when Mario Party 9 (even when bad compared to previous games), Mario Power Tennis and past console M&S games are superior to their current counterparts.

This is Nintendo's fault, by never caring what other people want.

Example: People want Metroid , Nintendo makes a spin off game.

People wanted certain characters heavily in the Smash DLC times , Nintendo puts a FE character that nobody wanted just to advertise the game he/She comes from.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
No. This is Nintendo's fault .

I'm not buying the fact that this is because the games are in charge of different studios or companies.

M&S sucks? let's blame Sega.

Mario Tennis sucks? Let's blame Camelot

Mario Party sucks? let's blame ND cube.

This needs to stop. It's not gonna work when Mario Party 9 (even when bad compared to previous games), Mario Power Tennis and past console M&S games are superior to their current counterparts.

This is Nintendo's fault, by never caring what other people want.

Example: People want Metroid , Nintendo makes a spin off game.

People wanted certain characters heavily in the Smash DLC times , Nintendo puts a FE character that nobody wanted just to advertise the game he/She comes from.
...I'm sorry but it doesn't work like that.

Nintendo don't have major creative input over every game they publish.

What happened to Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash was likely their fault, as they clearly wanted something to fill the holiday gap.

That's not the case with the Olympics though. The Olympics had a lot more dev time than Ultra Smash. And while Camelot and ND Cube are subsidiaries of Nintendo, SEGA are a completely separate, third party company, and develop the Mario & Sonic games (SEGA Sports Team, specifically).

The only thing Nintendo do with the Olympic games are help out with advisory stuff (for example, they probably would have had to give the OK on things like Rosalina's new outfit for the game), and provide SEGA with assets for the Mario related content in the game (models, music, artwork, etc).

Even on the boxes of most Mario & Sonic games, it says "Licensed by Nintendo" rather than just "Nintendo" on the front of the box, indicating it's a third party title.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
ChikoLad ChikoLad One more thing about the Rosalina mod. Apparently, character costumes can use separate sound banks, meaning that you can change Rosalina's voice clips, but it will only apply to whatever costume you chose to mod. This is great for the Cosmic Spirit mod because you can have Rosalina silent since the Cosmic Spirit was also silent (it had no sound during text, IIRC).

Also, I'll probably change Peach's voice clips for the Daisy costume to have Daisy's voice.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
ChikoLad ChikoLad One more thing about the Rosalina mod. Apparently, character costumes can use separate sound banks, meaning that you can change Rosalina's voice clips, but it will only apply to whatever costume you chose to mod. This is great for the Cosmic Spirit mod because you can have Rosalina silent since the Cosmic Spirit was also silent (it had no sound during text, IIRC).

Also, I'll probably change Peach's voice clips for the Daisy costume to have Daisy's voice.
Cosmic Spirit did have a voice during text, actually. It was just Rosalina's regular voice, with maybe some extra filters.

I actually plan on putting Mercedes Rose voice clips over it if I can get it all working. I might do a different voice only mod before this one though.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

I guess that explains how Little Mac's wire frame palette swaps never had any voice clips.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I'm not angry at Nintendo, as they've done Splatoon.

But ****, they didn't deliver at all this gen.

Spin-Offs?
Mario Kart 8 was a contentless black hole of nice graphics with the messiest roster ever

Mario Tennis doesn't exist, that's how light it is in content.

Then there's the Olympics which hasn't made any progress since Vancouver.
Worst thing is that I was actually hyped for that game but they had to chicken out with the promised content through "guest characters" and I feel very disappointed in a SMTXFE way (not that I care about those series or the end product, but I felt mislead in the same way)

And that's all.

Main games?
3D World was great, but it can in no way replace the immersive experience 64, Sunshine and the Galaxies brought, since it feels closer to a NSMB3D than "the next Mario"

Mario Maker deletes levels for no reason, so it kinda wastes your "development" time (aka three hours of bug testing. Poof!) and the content stops when your creativity stops, since 100 Mario is a horrible mess, almost feeling like a chore.

NSMBU was great, like 3D World, but it shouldn't be the only Mario on a platform.

Yeah, the only games I own that feel more than a tech demo are Splatoon and 3DWorld (but then they thought it could replace a real 3D Mario)
And I still feel I own all AAA games of this system.

I really hope the lack of WiiU games stems from the fact Nintendo is making the best launch a Nintendo system has ever had.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Technically, there are reasons for why your courses can get deleted from Super Mario Maker's servers, which include the following...

1: No stars received
2: Copyright infringement
3: Use of inappropriate materials

I'd say more, but those are probably the biggest reasons of the bunch.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Technically, there are reasons for why your courses can get deleted from Super Mario Maker's servers, which include the following...

1: No stars received
2: Copyright infringement
3: Use of inappropriate materials

I'd say more, but those are probably the biggest reasons of the bunch.
I knew your levels would be removed if it doesn't get stars, but it's still a pretty bad reason to delete hard work.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I knew your levels would be removed if it doesn't get stars, but it's still a pretty bad reason to delete hard work.
Blame it on the people who play your courses. They play them, but don't even bother to star them, and there are those who don't even try to complete your courses, no matter how easy they are to complete.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Blame it on the people who play your courses. They play them, but don't even bother to star them, and there are those who don't even try to complete your courses, no matter how easy they are to complete.
I wouldn't blame the people that much for not starring a level since there's no incentive to do so other than it's a level they liked. The main issue is that people will skip the star process because there's a different incentive to actually play Mario Maker levels; 8-bit costumes. If it weren't for those costumes, the user base might drop a bit, but people might actually star more levels. I think an incentive for starring a person's level is that you could get costumes from doing it. After starring a certain amount of levels you like (and completed), you get a costume.

It's just an idea, but it could remedy the star situation.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
In other news.

Rosalina is still basically the female mascot of Mario. :V

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Too bad that Ultra Smash is a poor excuse for a Mario Tennis title. Heck, I'm surprised that Nintendo Badge Arcade has yet to recognize Star Fox Zero.

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
I think he meant Rosalina is being exposed more as a female representative of the Modern Mario games, which is true as you can see more of Rosalina in promotional artwork in the more recent games.

She is not in any way replacing Peach as the female face of Mario , nor in the ''mascot'' levels of Yoshi , Bowser , Luigi or even Toad, however.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Would you guys want Rosalina to be in the same mascot level as Luigi, Bowser, Yoshi, etc? It'd be pretty neat if she was seen more often, but she could be over-saturated by Nintendo if they went over the top with Rosalina seen everywhere (like Peach).

Swiftie_Muggle

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4854-6887-9886
There are many factors i consider that prevent it to happen.

Miyamoto loves his characters, this includes Peach , Luigi etc.
He is not fond in any way of Rosalina tbh , and her inclusion in recent games are purely fan requested. Rosalina is not really a big character , but she is amoung the the most popular ones within the fanbases and Nintendo as a company knows this , so this helps her get her way in promo materials.
Also , she is basically the member of the regular Mario characters that has the most recent origins (2007) so she is a modern character being included in the modern era as a mainstay and she needs that exposure to be known by all kinds of people.

However she is not and will never be a retro character that has represented Nintendo since day 1 , so she cannot be compare to Luigi or Princess Peach in that area basically.

I'm just happy she is guaranteed to get a new render in each appearence as result of her inclusion as newcomer in each series.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
She already is in the mascot league with the rest of them.

why

do

people

still

struggle

to

accept

that?

Seriously, she was insanely popular when she debuted, and her popularity has only gotten bigger since. She actually started off more naturally popular than most other characters.

She's also hitting her 10th anniversary next year.

Rosalina is here to stay and at this point, it's becoming close to a point where Peach and Rosalina are interchangable as the main female mascot of Mario. Notice how for the platformers and stuff, they use Peach more since you save her and because it's tradition? But then when it's been a spin-off lately, it's Rosalina who takes prominence?

This is because Peach isn't exactly a good female face for a franchise in this day and age, and Nintendo realise this (her absence on the Women's History Month promotion hits that home in particular). However, she's been with the franchise for 30 years, so they can't exactly just up and give her the boot, because that would confuse people from a branding standpoint.

That's why, for the platformers and RPGs, Peach is more prominent, since she's so ingrained into the legacy of those games. However, in everything else lately, Rosalina has easily been more prominent, from Mario Kart, to Smash, to Tennis, to the Badge Arcade. That's because Peach has never been as prominent in those games and is just sort of a by the numbers inclusion. It also means they can use Rosalina as a more empowering female, which is good for their marketing, as that's what people actually prefer in a female character these days. So they keep to tradition for the main series and RPGs since people expect that from them, and expect Peach to be there. But in anything else, they switch out for Rosalina as the more prominent figure, since she is a more positive role model, and they know she's the fan favourite.

Wario and Toad really are not comparable to her either. Wario got his own two franchises but they have been fizzled out. Now he's just spin-off fodder, just slightly better off than Waluigi and Daisy because he gets into Smash. Toad is a stock race rather than a specific character. Easy to implement onto merchandise because of his simplistic design, but Toads are just "there" in most Mario titles, unless it's Captain Toad.

He is not fond in any way of Rosalina tbh , and her inclusion in recent games are purely fan requested. Rosalina is not really a big character , but she is amoung the the most popular ones within the fanbases and Nintendo as a company knows this , so this helps her get her way in promo materials.
Miyamoto is over his dislike for Rosalina, and the team at EAD loves her to death, according to two certain interviews.

She is definitely a big character and EAD fully intend to keep using her.

Top Bottom