• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

G1_Shockwave

Smash Cadet
Honestly I see nothing wrong with not being happy with this roster. It's truly underwhelming and kind of a let down considering all of the teasing Sakurai has done. I'd hate to sound so entitled, but there is just no excuse for Ridley to NOT be playable this time around. If Sakurai's excuse this time is time constraints then that is just a stupid excuse. You would think a character as highly requested as Ridley would be priority. It's not even just the fact Ridley is missing that makes this roster a let down, it's the fact that Mewtwo isn't back, no new DK rep, and FOUR unique characters were cut.
Why the lack of villains as playable? (look how many SF4 has, half of those guys on the roster are evil) I would of loved to see Ridley, Pig Gannon w/ trident (LTTP version), K. Rool. Black Shadow.. I don't get it, each of the main series should have their main antagonist as playable. And please don't bring up Dark Pitoo, or pooor pooooor Gannondorf. That's so disrespectful to Gannon after all this time. But at least he is in I guess.

We are going to know Ridleys fate so soon now.

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Yeah, sorry its true, I like Villains. I also like DHD.

I like your want list, looks just like mine.. Ridley, K. Rool. Black Shadow and DHD!

These smash games are a rare chance to play as Antagonists.. and its being wasted.
Those are the best ever that's why :D!

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Also the fact we have too many Mario characters now. When SSB4 was announced I did not expect any new Mario characters. Mario already had four of the biggest names in his series and I thought that was good enough. I wanted Sakurai to focus on other franchises. (Specifically Donkey Kong and Metroid)

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
What do we do if he's not on the roster?
Complain? At least that's what Im going to do. If I can find someone who is good with japanese I may as well just tweet Sakurai himself because wasting time with NoA is not going to do much.

Last edited:

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
At this point I'm pretty convinced that if there are more (new) characters on the roster, which I believe there are, that Ridley is one of them.

If he isn't in, then I guess we'll have to go on this exact same ride again in a couple of years waiting for Smash 5.
But I'm pretty confident that won't happen at this point.

G1_Shockwave

Smash Cadet
If he isn't in, then I guess we'll have to go on this exact same ride again in a couple of years waiting for Smash 5. But I'm pretty confident that won't happen at this point.
I already been on this ride with the last two games, getting too old to wait for another game.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
If you genuinely believe that (Kid Icarus is 6.25% of the roster) then I honestly don't think Ridley or K. Rool would save that for you.

That's exactly my problem here, people are so desperate to get one or two characters in that they'll completely write off the other 96% of the roster if they don't get the few they want.
If it wasn't for the third party ones I wouldn't even care about the newcomers, most of them are bottom-of-the-barrel stuff or unnecessary additions that show the man's bias (beyond the playable roster).
This is only me, but I will write off the roster because most of the additions never interested me in the first place.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
I saw him with lion head, but crocodile? Wow, why that wasn't instead of lion alt?
You can swap the heads out, people don't seem to realise how good tekken tag 2's character customization options are. You can save 10 'alts' that you make.

Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker here but have finally decided to make an account just to give my support (not like you guys needed it, you're all on your way to page 2000 without my help.) I remember seeing this thread after the April Direct had crushed my spirit for the Rid-man, but a lot of posts in this thread made me see that he wasn't confirmed as a hazard at all.

Let's just hope we make through this week with the Ridley bomb being dropped. Well, unless it's the playable Ridley bomb, 'cause I'm all for that.

Anyway, cheesey introduction post out of the way, you guys rock and I'm right there with you hoping for Ridley.
I'd love to play as a Ridley bomb!

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I'm prepared to accept not playable Ridley, if that's what happens in the end, while I'm hoping for playable Ridley.

If DK and 'Troid don't get any new reps I'll still feel pretty salty though, because they're in sore need of representation, especially DK. To leave them out yet to rep Mario another three times and Kid Icarus twice would feel so ridiculously unjust to me.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
I just realized that Ridley was watching me the whole time out of the shadows (clouds)
Ridley leaked by iCloud!!!!!

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'm prepared to accept not playable Ridley, if that's what happens in the end, while I'm hoping for playable Ridley.

If DK and 'Troid don't get any new reps I'll still feel pretty salty though, because they're in sore need of representation, especially DK. To leave them out yet to rep Mario another three times and Kid Icarus twice would feel so ridiculously unjust to me.
I would definitely still put Star Fox in the underdog series group with Metroid and DK too; likely getting one of its veterans cut now from the looks of it, and probably not gonna have any content from the new Star Fox Wii U game, as it was a blessing that came too late far as Smash goes because of the timing of the releases.

Anyway, more or less dreading this week as much as I am looking forward to it. Being disappointed with Ridley won't be anything new for me but certainly wouldn't help either, and I guess in a way I'm more worried for others I may be paying my respects to in the deconfirmed/graveyard thread soon enough.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I know the reaction many people will have if Ridley is a Stage Boss and not Playable. This one.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
not because he not hin that mean he don't have any other chance in other smash game or cant be a dlc LOL he can still be dlc even if he a boss since is sakurai that making the game not you,we don't know what is in sakurai mind
Ya, Sakurai could surprise us in Smash 5, but Ridley's been request since Melee, he was a dark horse in Melee, a fairly popular choice in a Brawl, and is now near unavoidable, if he's not in this game, where he has literally everything going for him, I don't know what game he'll be in. In terms of DLC, Ridley is gonna be a boss if he's not playable, I just don't see dlc being used to make a boss playable

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
I'm fine with not enjoying the roster, that's personal opinion and I respect that. However I don't believe that if you're that unhappy with it then Ridley will make the roster good. I want Ridley as much as the next man but no one or two character should change somebody's opinion about a 50+ roster.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Ridley - he is superiour in every way (attack, defense, mobility, etc). His skin doesn't allows PLASMA BEAM to go through it (it still damages him, but doesn't just goes through him and when he makes his skin harder, it reflects it) and he can survive getting fully charged plasma beam shot into his throat, his tail is nearly invincible and he can fly fast enough to reach Tallon IV in few minutes. His attacks also deal high damage to Samus and in Other M, nearly every attack takes away at least 1 energy tank. And we all know how resistant Samus' suit is. He is also intelligent.

BIG. And only cartoonish characters like pokemons and Mario have parts of their bodies getting bigger for few frames in certain animations (Charizard's jumping animation, Diddy's side A, Mario's aerial forward A, etc), so, they will always be big. Doesn't means they couldn't be folded of course.

Looks more like some kind of a transformer that has Ridley as alt mode.

I saw him with lion head, but crocodile? Wow, why that wasn't instead of lion alt?

Seriously? Meta Knight on Pyrosphere = tease?
STRAWGRASPING

STRAWGRASPING EVERYWHERE

It is Ridley's tail shadow on an uneven surface and before and after that bump, it is straight.

You forgot Other M. It is a lot better as a ground fight than both of these - he actually uses fast melee attacks that could be used for his moveset because even though they are fast and powerful, they have either start up or end lag, so, they are balanced enough.

"Zebesian" kind of space pirates lack tongue. *completly misses the point/joke*

She was. It uses fire, wings, etc, during her boss battle and was in at least 1 game where you also could play as Meta Knigh and fight Galacta Knight as him.

Don't worry about that or size or just anything. Its Sakurai, remember? Same guy who turned a racer guy (who DID beat gods in a race) into a memetic bada$$ that can falcon punch you out of and into existance. Same guy who turned a goddess and incarnation of a very poweful demon with a triforce of power into something not OP while turning a pretty bada$$, but not all-powerful character into God-Tier character. Same guy who made Little Mac a bit more interesting and not a waste of time. Same guy who resized Bowser and Ganondorf (or at least Ganondorf) from 2x bigger than human (~1.7x in case of Ganondorf) into characters barely taller than Samus. Same guy who added Mega Man and Sonic because fans wanted that. If you doubt that they can't turn Ridley into playable character when SSBC developers, authors of SSBB Ridley PSA hack (i still hate model they used) and i (for different kind of game, i know, but that doesn't really matters) did, then you are saying that this guy is incompetent. He also is working with Namco this time, same guys who made True Ogre, a giant character, not overpowered.

I will. I think he may be used most of the time, like 90% of matches.

Ice Climbers and Lucas are cut according to the leak that also said that Shulk has 5 modes and that every character has at least 8 alt colors.

I think only leaks that are confirmed to be true (as in 100% true, no Gematsu true) are allowed and maybe those that are focused ONLY on Ridley. Its better to not discuss ANY leaks - we have not enough space left anyway.

Fake. Images on the T-shirt are completly flat and not distorted or anything like that since T-Shirt isn't a square or something that is always completly flat. *possibly completly missing the point/joke again, but this time unintentionally*

"SHUT UP AND TAKE MY METROID! I WANT TO ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHERF***ER!"

It will revert/devolve into stone age because nearly everyone either supports him or is a detractor, so, entire internet will overload and require to be recreated from scratch. There isn't many neutral guys in this war.
Sorry if you were just joking or something but

The PotD with Samus and Meta Knight alone was a clear tease. Why give Samus a introduction (Hi I'm Samus, a bounty hounter blah blah) but not Meta Knight? It's because the wording causes the sentence to emphasis the name Meta Knight. Similarly, the introduction Samus gives would make one think that the character that is introduced afterwards is related to Samus (as the PotD is introducing a pair), and would also give an introduction. But no, instead they just say "And I'm Meta Knight!" and stops right there.

Why would he pair up MK with Samus other than to allude to Ridley? (Yes you can also say that that Mii picture was just to tease MK being in the game but he's a veteran and was anyone really doubting if he'd come back or not? Also I do not believe it is unrealistic to think that someone -- who is able to direct one of the best and most popular game series ever -- can come up with a PotD that teases/foreshadows more than one character at a time.)

And then Nintendo EU posted a picture of Meta Knight on Pyrosphere shortly after.

I don't think it's a coincidence.

Last edited:

CHUBUNATO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CHUBUNATO
3DS FC
2277-6893-1304
Well its been a honor watching the chaos in this thread for a year now. Even if this ends sour its been a groovy ride. I still love how the roster turned out but the big 3 would make it perfect. FIGHT UNTIL THE FINAL HOUR PIRATES

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

If Ridley is in I will display a Ridley image of this threads choosing on my stream for a week after release.

AlexTLW

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlexTLW
3DS FC
0688-5455-7010
yo guys cheer up! you are all bumming me out with this whole accepting a non playable Ridley stuff. quit taking sips of the water. And in less than a week we gotta do something with all that unused water.

I guess it is the worst scenarios we all can think of, and we might buy the game eventually even without Ridley in roster. But, seriously, they HAVE to make Ridley a neat boss just like the one in Super Metroid or Other M. If not, I can conclude that developers are either too lazy or too bias on their thinking.

RidleyWright

Smash Rookie
http:// i.imgur.com/5VhbSBK.jpg (remove the space in the link)

I don't remember seeing this posted. I thought it was a nice read since it's pretty confusing keeping track of who leaked what at which point in time. It is the interwebz so take it with a grain of salt I guess.

tl;dr
The 4chan list of characters that was originally included in the Ninka/Vaanrose thread, which includes Chorus Kids, Mewtwo, Ridley and Dixie Kong has NOT been verified or proven false at this point.
#ridleythedream #thedreamisalive

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I guess it is the worst scenarios we all can think of, and we might buy the game eventually even without Ridley in roster. But, seriously, they HAVE to make Ridley a neat boss just like the one in Super Metroid or Other M. If not, I can conclude that developers are either too lazy or too bias on their thinking.
- They chose to release in Japan 20 days early
- They chose to go with the 3DS version first, with some suggestions that they even thought about it being a 3DS exclusive

It really speaks volumes of where Nintendo are these days. When Japan makes up only about 20-25% of their game sales (from what I can find) and the Wii U seems to be struggling, particularly in Japan, with the above in mind, and Ridley not being as popular in Japan, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they thought him as a stage hazard was enough for us poor non-Japanese customers.

Of course, that wouldn't explain the long term teasing at Ridley. I would actually be angry if they did all that for some trumped up stage hazard, as it would amount to them just screwing with loyal customers. I don't even care for Ridley as a character, and don't really care if he's in or not, it's just the way they've dealt with it that makes it both interesting, and potentially damaging.

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
- They chose to release in Japan 20 days early
- They chose to go with the 3DS version first, with some suggestions that they even thought about it being a 3DS exclusive

It really speaks volumes of where Nintendo are these days. When Japan makes up only about 20-25% of their game sales (from what I can find) and the Wii U seems to be struggling, particularly in Japan, with the above in mind, and Ridley not being as popular in Japan, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they thought him as a stage hazard was enough for us poor non-Japanese customers.

Of course, that wouldn't explain the long term teasing at Ridley. I would actually be angry if they did all that for some trumped up stage hazard, as it would amount to them just screwing with loyal customers. I don't even care for Ridley as a character, and don't really care if he's in or not, it's just the way they've dealt with it that makes it both interesting, and potentially damaging.
Which is totally why they didn't ask for feedback of american tournament players, didn't invite them for their big event to play a tournament, and have completely removed all traces from Little Mac because he was only popular in the west so he didn't even deserve to be an assist trophy. OH WAIT.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Which is totally why they didn't ask for feedback of american tournament players, didn't invite them for their big event to play a tournament, and have completely removed all traces from Little Mac because he was only popular in the west so he didn't even deserve to be an assist trophy. OH WAIT.
Nintendo of America giving some fan service is one thing, and I'm pretty sure that Ridley is in, because they have clearly listened on many fronts. I just wouldn't be shocked if it did turn out that they ignored the non-Japanese side for Ridley considering their other behaviour. I don't know, I just find the concept of regional releases and going for the handheld before the potentially console saving version utterly bizarre and seemingly a sign of pandering to a minority of the market.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
http:// i.imgur.com/5VhbSBK.jpg (remove the space in the link)

I don't remember seeing this posted. I thought it was a nice read since it's pretty confusing keeping track of who leaked what at which point in time. It is the interwebz so take it with a grain of salt I guess.

tl;dr

#ridleythedream #thedreamisalive
Thanks, that was an interesting read!

Still curious though, how would Nintendo know who to fire? How would they know which of their employees was the one that leaked? How do they know it was their employee and not ESRB?

It reminds that originally Roy and Marth were Japan only characters, but became international. What we can see? Fire Emblem rises a viable franchise for Nintendo. Smash Brothers serves certain purpose to advertise other games in nintendo. P.S I am still surprised that Ice Climber does not have sign of new game yet......

PeterJude

Smash Ace
It reminds that originally Roy and Marth were Japan only characters, but became international. What we can see? Fire Emblem rises a viable franchise for Nintendo. Smash Brothers serves certain purpose to advertise other games in nintendo. P.S I am still surprised that Ice Climber does not have sign of new game yet......
Ice Climbers are probably cut anyhow.

To be honest, reading through the passion on this thread has got me far more interested in the Metroid Series in general, and has made Nintendo some virtual console sales.

The thing with a lot of games, particularly Fire Emblem, is that they tend to do really well outside Japan, yet they hold onto the series and don't bother with the international releases, at least not in a timely fashion, I really don't get why. Fire Emblem Awakening sold better outside Japan than in it from the reports I've seen (it seems to also be the case for the Wii and GC Fire Emblem games too, and the marketing presence just isn't there for the series internationally from what I can tell), people were crying out for international releases of the older versions, and it was a year before my own region even got Fire Emblem Awakening (even longer for the older ones). Nintendo make great games, but from a marketing perspective they seem down right lost. So many great series have been basically been kept from the outside world for annoyingly long periods of time, and that could only serve to hurt sales. Add a good mix of terrible product differentiation, and what do you get? Surely in the age of digital download sales they could at the very least release them for digital purchase if they were concerned about the risk of creating the physical copies.

Smash Brothers can and does seem to be a good platform to introduce people to new characters and series they may never have even know about, and including Ridley as playable would surely be helpful when Nintendo next move to make a Metroid game. Ridley is particularly marketable, and having him playable could be a huge boost to the series profile.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
All this leak stuff is just one big cluster-fook right now, just gonna wait this week out instead of paying any more attention to these tight lipped mod rumours and whatnot.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
There's not much time left.....Either Ridley would be announced at Friday or the Space Dragon would be hidden, just like these guys at Brawl::jigglypuff::toonlink::wolf:

I am confident we would see Ridley soon...until then, here's some Ridley comic

Wonder why Ridley is so scared? Look at the video below...at your own risk.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
i realy want to ask if it is possible to link the new thread after this one is closed
There's not much time left.....Either Ridley would be announced at Friday or the Space Dragon would be hidden, just like these guys at Brawl::jigglypuff::toonlink::wolf:

I am confident we would see Ridley soon...until then, here's some Ridley comic

Wonder why Ridley is so scared? Look at the video below...at your own risk.
awwwww how cute

Ice Climbers are probably cut anyhow.

To be honest, reading through the passion on this thread has got me far more interested in the Metroid Series in general, and has made Nintendo some virtual console sales.

The thing with a lot of games, particularly Fire Emblem, is that they tend to do really well outside Japan, yet they hold onto the series and don't bother with the international releases, at least not in a timely fashion, I really don't get why. Fire Emblem Awakening sold better outside Japan than in it from the reports I've seen (it seems to also be the case for the Wii and GC Fire Emblem games too, and the marketing presence just isn't there for the series internationally from what I can tell), people were crying out for international releases of the older versions, and it was a year before my own region even got Fire Emblem Awakening (even longer for the older ones). Nintendo make great games, but from a marketing perspective they seem down right lost. So many great series have been basically been kept from the outside world for annoyingly long periods of time, and that could only serve to hurt sales. Add a good mix of terrible product differentiation, and what do you get? Surely in the age of digital download sales they could at the very least release them for digital purchase if they were concerned about the risk of creating the physical copies.

Smash Brothers can and does seem to be a good platform to introduce people to new characters and series they may never have even know about, and including Ridley as playable would surely be helpful when Nintendo next move to make a Metroid game. Ridley is particularly marketable, and having him playable could be a huge boost to the series profile.
Yeah, putting characters in Smash Brothers does help the developments of certain franchise. I still remember that Ridley from other m has a vaguely similar move in ssb brawl adventure mode. Imagine how a playable Ridley would have help on the growth of metroid in general.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
Actually the unknown characters prior to release were :ness2::marth::luigi2::falco::falcon::lucario::rob::ganondorf::gw::jigglypuff::toonlink::wolf:

kisamehoshi34

Smash Apprentice
so the roster leak is the final roster... a shame so they cut wolf for a stupid doctor Mario,they could have potential character like dark samus but no they prefer dark pit instead and we could have good character like mewtwo,ridley and king k rool was more requested but no they go with a stupid dog and wii fit trainer.....so teasing us ridley as a boss for a year is not really cool and we don't give a ......... for a ridley boss is a playable character that hype us and we want.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
so the roster leak is the final roster... a shame so they cut wolf for a stupid doctor Mario,they could have potential character like dark samus but no they prefer dark pit instead and we could have good character like mewtwo,ridley and king k rool was more requested but no they go with a stupid dog and wii fit trainer.....so teasing us ridley as a boss for a year is not really cool and we don't give a ......... for a ridley boss is a playable character that hype us and we want.
Uhm no, Neo Zero posted the exact opposite just yesterday. You might have misunderstood something. It IS NOT FINAL. Now, please move on.

Top Bottom