• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Btw you guys remember the 'leak' back in the brawl days that had Bowser Jr. Ridley and ??? as the 3 newcomers? Who was the third 1 and does anyone have a source?
Know this was answered already, but Toon Link was known as Wind Waker Link back then. Celda was popular, too.

Funny thing is that was the rumor/leak that would lead me to lurk in the original Ridley thread, and make an account later.

-

I realize everybody is curious whether the possibility of stores breaking the street date/the game leaking early is likely or not. While it wasn't to Pokémon X/Y levels of earliness (10+ days), the Brawl leaks came about 2 days before the official launch date, (and if I recall correctly, actually came from Hong Kong breaking the street date), with Ridley being disconfirmed that same night. The full roster did take a while, since nobody could figure out how to unlock Wolf.

G1_Shockwave

Smash Cadet
When Other M Ridley is confirmed as “A Wii U Exclusive…BOSS” we can start the fight/hope to get Super mertroid Ridley as a DLC character…..

Zynux

Smash Lord
So, it seems that Ridley may very well be a Boss...

...Boss of the Smash 4 meta-game :shades:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Nothing yet again, only menues. I swear Sakurai is punishing each and every single one that watched/made leaks, geez.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Well, with no Ridley in today's PotD, we now have 5 more PotD's left. 5. One more week and Ridley will have avoided deconfirmation up to the 3DS release date. It's simply amazing how long everyone's been through. With that. I say keep it up Space Pirates and have a good night sleep and a relaxing weekend. :D

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Perhaps Sakurai must have finally snapped with the English comments. I can't blame him, with everybody going on with the leak or something obscure or just random. :(

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
In all fairness the comments in the English section are typically really toxic, continuing to beg for characters or insulting him (one that talked about having the Hyrule Warriors devs do the game instead made me cringe - not because of how I feel about the game, but that has to hurt after all that time and energy in dev), that sort of thing.

If I were the head dev of a hotly anticipated game like Smash, I'd have been fed up long ago and turned off all comments anyway. I wouldn't be fishing for feedback, I'd be just showing what cool things are in the game that day (which is what he's doing, not soliciting for feedback).

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I still don't see much stock in the whole leaving characters out of the 3DS version theory. If the footage is true then there's clearly characters in that version that need to be unlocked, and I think it's safe to say they are currently possible to unlock. And that aside, do you really think handicapping the 3DS version is going to help? Most Wii U owners and potential future Wii U owners if forced to pick between one or the other, may pick the Wii U over the 3DS version (since the 3DS is handicapped hardware wise and likely won't be as easy to play as the Wii U version), and even Reggie said the 3DS version would be good practice for when the Wii U comes out, so yeah leaving characters out the 3DS version and making the Wii U version the only one that comes out with all characters doesn't seem like a smart move to me.

Last edited:

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
I was wondering when Sakurai would block the comments on his posts............Since Day 1 in Miiverse, you could find all sorts of annoying and nonsensical comments under Sakurai's POTD.

Anyways, this is it fellow Space Pirates. One last week for Sakurai to reveal any infos regarding SSB4 in the POTDs.

Keep your eyes open for Friday (12th).

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I want to get something straight: did the roster layout deal a huge blow to Ridley's chances? Because I'm getting the implication from some people that he cannot fit in because of the way it's set up. They think that it would mess up the roster and force drastic changes to it.

Is there some merit to this argument, or has it been proven wrong here?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Unfortunately there is merit. I've tried fitting more characters on the leaked CSS (in photoshop) without disrupting the organization. Unless there are 10 more characters to be added in specific spots, it won't work.

However if adding more characters changes the franchise order, then it might work.

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
To clear up how the CSS might work and why Ridley wouldn't disrupt anything: The single character franchises can fill in any spaces that need to be filled in the shape. If Ridley is unlocked, then the single characters could adjust accordingly to make sure all of the franchises are still grouped together. Even then, in Brawl, the CSS was a mess, so nothing is set in stone.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I want to get something straight: did the roster layout deal a huge blow to Ridley's chances? Because I'm getting the implication from some people that he cannot fit in because of the way it's set up. They think that it would mess up the roster and force drastic changes to it.

I say it holds no weight anymore, as the starting roster layout from the japanese commercial looks vastly different from the leaked roster. http://nintendoeverything.com/is-this-the-starting-roster-for-smash-bros-3ds/
http://i1.wp.com/www.nintendolinked.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/BvccdUPCMAAX9j5.jpg

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Meh, more of the same happening I see.

Something I noticed about Omega and Neo Ridley. After the phazon in Samus' body expands, you can see a shadow fly of in Prime 3. And When Neo Ridley changes colour, he looks a bit more mechanical
Pics or it didn't happen @ Omega. Never got that impression from Neo Ridley though, as it was just a horribly mutated X-Parasite mimic.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I don't think that is the starting roster. That would be quite a bit bigger than the other games.
Well, that's to be expected. Each game gave you larger starting roster than the last, afterall. If anything,the starting roster of each new game was bigger than the final roster of that game.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Unfortunately there is merit. I've tried fitting more characters on the leaked CSS (in photoshop) without disrupting the organization. Unless there are 10 more characters to be added in specific spots, it won't work.

However if adding more characters changes the franchise order, then it might work.
I was wondering if putting all the clone characters back to their respective franchises would help create new room for more newcomers. When I was experimenting with this concept in my predicted roster, I found that Ridley and Dixie could actually fit in there with no problem.

But if the clones really are supposed to be grouped together in a little corner (which is strange because of Toon Link and Falcondorf), then that means big trouble for everyone else.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I say it holds no weight anymore, as the starting roster layout from the japanese commercial looks vastly different from the leaked roster. http://nintendoeverything.com/is-this-the-starting-roster-for-smash-bros-3ds/
http://i1.wp.com/www.nintendolinked.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/BvccdUPCMAAX9j5.jpg
Um... no. They are both in the same order. Look at the order of franchises and characters in both. It's the same.

As for the clone corner, it actually makes sense that they are there if they were all last minute additions.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Um... no. They are both in the same order. Look at the order of franchises and characters in both. It's the same.
The clones were moved to their franchises, or at least it appears that way since Lucina is with the other Fire Emblem characters. And why can't all the one rep franchises move around to fit in 2, 4 , or 5 characters? This really doesn't affect Ridley's chances all that much.

Edit: In Famitsu

Last edited by a moderator:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Uhh, yeah. This only proves that it doesn't matter who comes in, the layout of the CSS changes when you add new characters, it doesn't have to have the same basic shape. Notice the gaping spots between Ness and Lucina, nowhere to be seen with the starting roster. The order of which series arriving is the same, but the layout doesn't have to be. Note Bowser Jr, and Falco as well. If they can interrupt the flow started with the starting roster, then I see no reason why Ridley can't. Remember, Ridley is part of the Metroid series, he'd be grouped with Samus and ZSS, as he isn't a single rep, and isn't a clone either, so he'd keep to the order as well.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Look closely at the floor
Eh, I did but still didn't see no flying shadow. Maybe you could tell me what second to pause at, or screencap it and point an arrow at where the shadow supposedly is.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

The only real problem franchise is Pokemon. The entire roster can slide down perfectly fine with little issues until you get to Pokemon. You'd need to add about 4 additional characters to push the franchise down to the next line.

That said, I think the characters DO reorganize somewhat, because Lucina appears next to the FE characters in Famitsu, but the rest of the roster is identical to the starting roster.

lilt

Smash Journeyman
One of the last things that should prevent a character from his inclusion is the organization of the roster, really.
Most of the discussions here are reoccurring and pretty much pointless, at this point of time.
Don't think to much over it, the games out in 1 week.

@ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen : I've seen that too in my first playtrough of the game in 2007.
I guess it might be a graphical glitch.
Or just a shadow of a cloud produced by the Phazon.
I don't think it has an intended meaning behind it. Especially if you consider the fact how both MP1 and MP3 made pretty explicit hints towards something at the end of the game. This however is easy to miss & and leaves too much room for interpretation imo.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Oh. Well the order which Famitsu chooses to put the characters doesn't really matter.

Top Bottom