• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Sakurai loves to smash popular opinions in the leak thread. I cant believe Ridley is still alive after all this. ALL HAIL PURPLE DRAGON!

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I almost literally jumped up from my chair (despite being at work)
I really like the fact that ever since taking a big hit back in April, Ridley chances seem to have progressively improved since then (albeit at a very slow yet steady pace) now that there's a very good chance that the leak was NOT the final roster, I'm pretty much fully convinced we're finally getting Ridley after all these years.

I also can't believe we're only two weeks away from knowing the final roster. The hype-train literally cannot be stopped!!

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I don't think I want to trade blows with Ridley...I like to think my body will at least last a few more years.

Aside from that, I agree with you and I will be checking game news at least once an hour for a while. I also would want to see what Sakurai will say about the possible upcoming Direct (if anything) to get a clue what will happen.

I drink a soda for Ridley. Wait, you didn't want me to drink that did you?
No problem with that. And yeah, I don't think Rids would be pleased with that decision.

Last edited:

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
By the way, has anyone noticed? Zero Suit Samus is one of the characters that isn't mentioned as the ones Shulk destroyed. Does this mean she's an unlockable, or is it because the character of Zero Suit Samus was designed in the early 2000s, later than Samus and Ridley? By the way, Ridley cheats detractions once again! :)
This is basically my thoughts on the issue:

This is faulty logic. Zero Suit Samus appears playable (through a code) in the original Metroid NES:

You might say that doesn't equal this:

But if you're holding up to that standard, then the same could be said about Ridley. From the same Metroid NES game, how does this:

at all equal this (we are confirmed to at least get a design similar to "Other M" Ridley):

Besides, unlike Zero Suit Samus, this Other M Ridley actually could have a good excuse as to why he isn't in the 1986 group, and that's because the Other M Ridley is a clone of the real Ridley.

But if we are taking major design differences into account then I don't see why it wouldn't apply to both.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Oh boy, our Commander just keeps returning from the dead. So, nothing new here right guys? :laugh:

Also, can somebody tell me whats up with the "Pranked!" thing? , i mean, i like having a Ridley coloured name (let me keep it please! :joyful:) but I'd like to know what this is about X)

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
Yet another win for Ridley. I wish we had his victory animation, because that would be so fitting right now.

What would his victory pose be anyways?

Zynux

Smash Lord
Alright, since everybody has calmed down a bit: objectively things did get slightly better for Ridley.

The argument that he doesn't appear with Samus in the All-Star picture, an argument that admittedly I thought was pretty convincing is dead and buried. Notice how Falco isn't present when he should be next to Fox and instead the Kirby franchise still continues on, and on the bottom screen Peach is separated from Bowser, which I'm assuming means that the slots will "slide over" once you beat a certain character. Therefore, if Ridley is unlocked, he will plop next to Samus, Pit will move over one and Palutena will move up the next row with no problem.

Also Duck Hunt, R.O.B, Game & Watch and others also haven't been fought yet because assumingly they still haven't been unlocked, so as Sakurai said characters that haven't been unlocked yet won't appear.

Of course, Ridley isn't home free yet, and any celebrations are premature IMO. Still, I personally believe that this is one of the best PoTD's we've gotten in a while. It seems that until the game is released we're back to waiting for a flat confirmation on whether he's a Boss or not.

Last edited:

LockFelino

Smash Master
3DS FC
1719-3394-3527
Yet another win for Ridley. I wish we had his victory animation, because that would be so fitting right now.

What would his victory pose be anyways?
I would say it could be a roar/shriek upwards, but that may be a tad too similar to Bowser's

(As long as it'd be the Zero Mission shriek)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

CGI =/= Gameplay

Ridley has been proven to be teeny tiny in smash 4 while we haven't even see metal face in game yet.

Metal Face can physically not be shrunken down as there's a Hom inside of him. Unless it was the genetically altered Hom fighting with his suit as a final smash Metal Face can never be playable. Oops

So yeah. Ridleys hopes are still high guy.
I would like to point out, it has been proven that dissection of his size in past decades of this threads pages are simply prone to be inaccurate. You can't just take a tiny piece of his wing layered over a certain perspective of Pyrosphere, then angle it over a flat version of Pyrosphere (which is how people determined his size). Mass and perspective just doesn't work like that. It's very possible the figure could be quite size-able.

The same thing goes for his shadow, and even more so because there's light angle to consider. While distance from the ground does not change shadow shape, the angle of the light source can skew the shadow.

His actual size, despite popular belief, has yet to be deciphered, and likely won't be until we actually see him, despite critical efforts to prove his dimensions without a shadow (durrhurr) of a doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai knows no mercy... Now we know for sure the leaked roster was incomplete.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
well last night i was looking epic anime moments and one was from dragonball.
radiz is telling goku he is a spacepirate.... :D well it is in the original english dub so. ridley is the boss of the fking sayans.( sorry offtopic) but guys it is something funny
A better example, I had recently watched an anime movie on netflix with Space Pirate in part of the title! Something a friend showed me initially and then he first said "Not to be confused with Metroid's Space Pirates" and then I was like "Aww" but it was still very good.

Well with this more reassuring news/PotD I think I'll suddenly have an easier time falling back asleep now. Funny, as I had just gotten back from watching a movie due to still being unable to sleep before.

Oh. Well, whatever argument people were coming up to disprove Ridley with is now invalid.
In b4 more Metal Face talk and people once again pointing out the differences in how the shadows were shown.

Ridley may have a good recent argument against him defeated now but he's not in the clear yet...

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
And to think I was the one that first made note of a lack of Ridley in All-Star.

Sakurai gave exactly what Ridley needed right now, lol.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
one thing i want to ask is there a chance that we get a something if sakurais twitter account reaches the 10.000 post? because he reaches it in a couple of days 21 posts before that happens.
like yay reaches 10.000 posts here you have ridley or something

G1_Shockwave

Smash Cadet
Just because Pterosaurs flew and had beaks dosn't mean they evolved into birds. Jeesh and I thought you were a Decepticon with logic. :upsidedown:
Naturaly I know everything about the earth creatures known as Dinosaurs. I even used them as a template to create the Dinobots forms you know. (In some timelines)

Well we do have this evidence... little.... BIRD-ie

Now if we can just get a quick POD showing that Metal Face guy, saying Oh, he is just a boss, not playable. ill sleep a lot better.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Naturaly I know everything about the earth creatures known as Dinosaurs. I even used them as a template to create the Dinobots forms you know. (In some timelines)

Well we do have this evidence... little.... BIRD-ie
Please don't do that again. Truncate a url tag. It's [ /url= URL GOES HERE] Text you want visible. [/ url]

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I would like to point out, it has been proven that dissection of his size in past decades of this threads pages are simply prone to be inaccurate. You can't just take a tiny piece of his wing layered over a certain perspective of Pyrosphere, then angle it over a flat version of Pyrosphere (which is how people determined his size). Mass and perspective just doesn't work like that. It's very possible the figure could be quite size-able.

His actual size, despite popular belief, has yet to be deciphered, and likely won't be until we actually see him, despite critical efforts to prove his dimensions without a shadow (durrhurr) of a doubt.
It wasn't his wing, it was his tail. Detractors seem to automatically think that Ridley and his shadow would look "massive" judging by the direct footage, but the reason he looks bigger than he is is because of the perspective; the camera is angled and is close up looking at the floor, and the tail swung close to the camera. The shadow analyses may not be 100% accurate, but they're much better than simply going "oh, Ridley on Pyrosphere, he looks massive, deconfirmed!" like detractors seem to have done. Until Sakurai explains further (via PotD), or until actual footage is shown, we won't know for sure what Ridley's actual size is. I really don't think he will be the size that he was in Brawl.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
It wasn't his wing, it was his tail. Detractors seem to automatically think that Ridley and his shadow would look "massive" judging by the direct footage, but the reason he looks bigger than he is is because of the perspective; the camera is angled and is close up looking at the floor, and the tail swung close to the camera. The shadow analyses may not be 100% accurate, but they're much better than simply going "oh, Ridley on Pyrosphere, he looks massive, deconfirmed!" like detractors seem to have done. Until Sakurai explains further (via PotD), or until actual footage is shown, we won't know for sure what Ridley's actual size is. I really don't think he will be the size that he was in Brawl.
He's big enough to hold this thing in his claw as though it's a Pokéball. That's pretty massive.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Actually the Ridley in pyro stage was tiny. Not big enough to be a boss. I think it was only a bit bigger than Bowser.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Wasn't the Baby Metroid much smaller previously? Like the size of an actual pokeball? I could be wrong and most likely am, been years since playing Super Metroid
Yes. That was the point. I was joking. I just wanted to be a bit silly. :cry:

Last edited:

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
He's big enough to hold this thing in his claw as though it's a Pokéball. That's pretty massive.
Uhh, you know, that was before the baby Metroid grew to this size, right?

Edit:

Oh you were joking. I thought you should have known that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Wing or tail, same point. I think it was both, honestly.

I don't assume to know whether he's massive or not, I'm not making any assumptions on something I can't possibly know, and neither should anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Wasn't the Baby Metroid much smaller previously? Like the size of an actual pokeball? I could be wrong and most likely am, been years since playing Super Metroid
Yeah it was tiny at the beginning of Super Metroid, but by the time you got close to the end, it was that massive size.

Wing or tail, same point. I think it was both, honestly.

I don't assume to know whether he's massive or not, I'm not making any assumptions on something I can't possibly know, and neither should anyone else.
Ha... good one.

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman

The same thing goes for his shadow, and even more so because there's light angle to consider. While distance from the ground does not change shadow shape, the angle of the light source can skew the shadow.

I don't think you actually know how people conducted the size analysis.
The tail bone (not wing) was mostly used as reference only to point out to haters that even if it was larger than Pikachu he can still be of a smaller scale than usual. We don't use the tail size for anything other than that.

Last edited:

G1_Shockwave

Smash Cadet
The Great Ridley Ride is coming to and end soon, hopeful it ends with a bang rather then a whimper..

HohnTTD

Smash Cadet
The Great Ridley Ride is coming to and end soon, hopeful it ends with a bang rather then a whimper..
Well, either way, be it a disconfirmation or a confirmation, this ride is going to end in a bang. Either a ton of insanely happy fans or a ton of rather upset supporters that just got off a rather ridleyculous and pointless roller coaster of false hype.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Ridley Hype Train.jpg
Should Nintendo ever receive an actual theme park, I want "The Great Ridley Ride" to be a thing.
Already a thing. :p (NOTE: I FOUND THIS AWESOMENESS HERE ON SMASHBOARDS, AND ALL CREDIT GOES TO WHOEVER MADE IT AND RIDLEY)

Last edited:
Top Bottom