• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I'm saying trying to speculate anything based on the CSS is bull****, as the CSS is constantly modified to fit the needs of the roster, not vice versa. A character isn't put in because "they would make the CSS look nice by being in the first row", nor is anyone cut out because "there's no room for them on the CSS".
This person speaks the truth.
How did that happen
Long story. You would have to read the past 10 pages or so to understand it.

Jigglypuff & Luma

Smash Cadet
This is not really the place to argue about CSS (about the jiggles thing, Jigglypuff is very popular in Japan, she just got the fairy type and she is found in the wild in every main series handheld game, so while most people here are saying Jigglypuff's chances are low, I think some people in Japan think Captain Falcon chances are low (before Samurai Goroh was confirmed as an assist))

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Well that won't happen anyway since JP is getting the game a month before you...so it's really not ideal for him to keep anything secret anyway...
I thought it would make more sense to reveal if he's playable or just a boss stage hazard, to either hype the game up or prevent false hype. But it got me thinking, either way there's going to be some people who rub it in the other's faces, if Ridley is playable some of the people who support him will likely rub it in anti-Ridley players or people who just thought he wouldn't be in for various reasons. And same if he's not, some anti-Ridley players, and people who didn't think Ridley would get in, will likely rub it in Ridley supporters faces.

*emphasis on some

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

I thought it would make more sense to reveal if he's playable or just a boss stage hazard, to either hype the game up or prevent false hype. But it got me thinking, either way there's going to be some people who rub it in the other's faces, if Ridley is playable some of the people who support him will likely rub it in anti-Ridley players or people who just thought he wouldn't be in for various reasons. And same if he's not, some anti-Ridley players, and people who didn't think Ridley would get in, will likely rub it in Ridley supports faces.
Oh, you better pray this thread gets straight locked after his de-confirmation because my absolute first priority once Ridley is de-confirmed will be to come here. Seriously. I will tell my wife I have something to do, I will leave work.

If he is confirmed playable then I do have a some shoes I consider tasty.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I'm completely expecting the Chorus Kids to be revealed this August. From what I've heard, Rhythm Heaven is very popular in Japan, and it would make sense to reveal them the month before SSB4 comes out in Japan.

I guess Ridley could be an unlockable newcomer like some of the other villains in past games, like Ganondorf and Wolf.
If Chorus Kids are a popular choice in Japan, and Ridley is popular in the west then that covers 2 regions. But I can't imagine them both in the same reveal trailer, if there was one.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Assuming I haven't been lazy between now and release, I'm expecting to have something put together to help deal with everything we'll have to put up with in the event that Ridley hasn't made it in. So please don't get this thread locked, that'll kind of ruin it.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Expect to not see me here anymore if Ridley is disconfirmed. I already dislike how most threads in the Smash 4 board are either about people complaining about a game that wasn't even released or people discussing mechanics and whatever or how they should voice their concern blahblahblah. If one of the two characters I am looking forward to be in Smash the most is disconfirmed, I think I will take my leave.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Yeah there is a thread for CSS discussion. I personally would sug

gest never visiting it, but if you must talk about it, please, the Ridley thread has a... history of being of being locked.

This one's been amazing, I'd hate to see it go, especially before we find out schlis(the gender neutral from of his) fate.

Expect to not see me here anymore if Ridley is disconfirmed. I already dislike how most threads in the Smash 4 board are either about people complaining about a game that wasn't even released or people discussing mechanics and whatever or how they should voice their concern blahblahblah. If one of the two characters I am looking forward to be in Smash the most is disconfirmed, I think I will take my leave.
:/ these kinds of posts sadden me, because they're kinda true. I hope this'd mean only until the game came out, at least. I'd hate to see the denizens of this thread vanish.

I mean, I'm pretty sure I got about 1000 likes in the last two weeks, almost exclusively from this thread xD.

Last edited:

Conceptual

Smash Rookie
NNID
Conceptual
Finally I made it through the whole thread! Phew, that was a loooong read (obviously not in one day). I have shadows of female Ridleys in my head now. Anyway, I'm a Ridley supporter because he's my favourite villain in any game period.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Finally I made it through the whole thread! Phew, that was a loooong read (obviously not in one day). I have shadows of female Ridleys in my head now. Anyway, I'm a Ridley supporter because he's my favourite villain in any game period.
Welcome friend. You have traveled far. Come and rest a while as I try to discern if you are real or not.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
You didn't... seriously read the whole thread from page one, did you? Because that's a lot.

Conceptual

Smash Rookie
NNID
Conceptual
Hmm, I skipped a few pages here and there.. I think in total I read about 800 pages. Thanks samus, and of course I am real, I can't help but talk about Ridley in Smash Brothers to my friends who don't even care about either series.

Donalp15

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Donalp15
Hmm, I skipped a few pages here and there.. I think in total I read about 800 pages. Thanks samus, and of course I am real, I can't help but talk about Ridley in Smash Brothers to my friends who don't even care about either series.
This guy is a true believer, makes me look like a false believer in Ridley. I only read from 750ish onward. :c

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
This guy is a true believer, makes me look like a false believer in Ridley. I only read from 750ish onward. :c
hmm, lets see, I've been here for 4 or 5 Ridley threads so far. I've read all of them. Probably >2000 pages total. It's pretty much what I do at work these days xD.

I mean, if my brain was gonna make start messing with me and making me see not real posts, I'd totally name the account something like Conceptual or Figment. So while you put up a good argument for your own existence, the fact that I think it's a good argument means I could have come up with it. I'll put you on probational reality for now.

Last edited:

Conceptual

Smash Rookie
NNID
Conceptual
Since this is a Ridley thread, I'd like to keep it on topic, I would like to share my opinions (also some emotions) about Ridley in Smash Brothers.

Ever since the Pic of the day of Pyrosphere came into existance, I thought to myself "oh god, is Sakurai really going to tease Ridley?". I decided that because it's on Pyrosphere, it must be it's Other M incarnation (I will be referring Ridley to "it" and "he", I can't make my mind up, definitely not female ;) !).

His other M incarnation IS pretty big, which I've seen as a defense method by many people, I usually ignore those people because Smash Brothers doesn't care about those things.

After some time of waiting, the Direct comes along (awesome direct btw, loved it) and it shows Ridley's shadow and at this point I was fully convinced that he IS teasing Ridley.

After doing some research on various websites (which is also how I got here..) I kept hearing people saying "See?! Didn't we tell you? Ridley is TOO big!". I didn't want to believe them, my precious Ridley is going through the same thing as he was in Brawl, I couldn't let that happen! People kept doing research on his shadow and found out that he is in fact not big at all, it was a big relief, but it was not over yet.

So.. what do I personally think? I think he will be playable due to the fact that Sakurai is one vague man. He said that other boss characters will appear on other stages aswell. Which means that Ridley, as a boss character in Metroid, will appear on "other" stages, to me, most likely as a playable character. There is no reason to tease and hype up a boss character unless he thinks it's justifiable to tease and hype up Ridley as a boss character even though he's already been one.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Since this is a Ridley thread, I'd like to keep it on topic, I would like to share my opinions (also some emotions) about Ridley in Smash Brothers.

Ever since the Pic of the day of Pyrosphere came into existance, I thought to myself "oh god, is Sakurai really going to tease Ridley?". I decided that because it's on Pyrosphere, it must be it's Other M incarnation (I will be referring Ridley to "it" and "he", I can't make my mind up, definitely not female ;) !).

His other M incarnation IS pretty big, which I've seen as a defense method by many people, I usually ignore those people because Smash Brothers doesn't care about those things.

After some time of waiting, the Direct comes along (awesome direct btw, loved it) and it shows Ridley's shadow and at this point I was fully convinced that he IS teasing Ridley.

After doing some research on various websites (which is also how I got here..) I kept hearing people saying "See?! Didn't we tell you? Ridley is TOO big!". I didn't want to believe them, my precious Ridley is going through the same thing as he was in Brawl, I couldn't let that happen! People kept doing research on his shadow and found out that he is in fact not big at all, it was a big relief, but it was not over yet.

So.. what do I personally think? I think he will be playable due to the fact that Sakurai is one vague man. He said that other boss characters will appear on other stages aswell. Which means that Ridley, as a boss character in Metroid, will appear on "other" stages, to me, most likely as a playable character. There is no reason to tease and hype up a boss character unless he thinks it's justifiable to tease and hype up Ridley as a boss character even though he's already been one.
I have trouble believing the shadow estimations, I'm really not sure how much real data we can get from that. But the point of those estimations was that Ridley is easily re-sizable. which I agree with completely.

And honestly, the question of his playability comes down to is sakurai trolling or not. It's really hard to tell. I could see it going either way, Sakurai teasing us like with ZSS and Palutena, or hyping a boss. I really, really hope he's trolling, but until some random pic of the day, or until the game comes out, we really can't figure it out further, unfortunately.

Staarih

Smash Master
Wow, congrats! I find it hard to follow the posts within a few pages, let alone like 20 or something (which is usually the jump from when I go to bed and wake up the next morning, or feels like it at least... sigh, all you active Ridley-fans). I guess I'm just lazy like that... I know, I'm a bad supporter, I usually just skip to the last page of the thread and try and pretend to know what's being discussed :scared:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

Yeah there is a thread for CSS discussion. I personally would sug

gest never visiting it, but if you must talk about it, please, the Ridley thread has a... history of being of being locked.

This one's been amazing, I'd hate to see it go, especially before we find out schlis(the gender neutral from of his) fate.

:/ these kinds of posts sadden me, because they're kinda true. I hope this'd mean only until the game came out, at least. I'd hate to see the denizens of this thread vanish.

I mean, I'm pretty sure I got about 1000 likes in the last two weeks, almost exclusively from this thread xD.
I mean, couldn't be too difficult. Just post something in favor of Ridley and bam, sponge likes.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
@BaganSmashBros
T2A571_0D952A8B14DE8_000.gif

Ridley: "Glad to see that you are back."

Roidley: "OHMYGOSH! Big bro, you SMILED!"

Ridley: "But it wasn't because of you, you moron."

Last edited:

Conceptual

Smash Rookie
NNID
Conceptual
I have trouble believing the shadow estimations, I'm really not sure how much real data we can get from that. But the point of those estimations was that Ridley is easily re-sizable. which I agree with completely.

And honestly, the question of his playability comes down to is sakurai trolling or not. It's really hard to tell. I could see it going either way, Sakurai teasing us like with ZSS and Palutena, or hyping a boss. I really, really hope he's trolling, but until some random pic of the day, or until the game comes out, we really can't figure it out further, unfortunately.
I don't think Ridley's size has to do much with Sakurai's behaviour on the matter. I see it as Sakurai merely teasing Ridley, so for me, the question is; does Sakurai think it's justifiable to tease a characters role for a role he's already been.

Thanks for sharing your opinions on the matter though, I also read through this thread at work!

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I mean, couldn't be too difficult. Just post something in favor of Ridley and bam, sponge likes.
If you go over my posts, you'll find I'm not the most optimistic one here. I often try to curb over optimism (say, delusions of Ridley having a guaranteed spot) if I see it. I like to be down to earth, as much as possible.

It would be easy to do as you say, sure. But I find it more fun to exercise my wit, I'm a bit overly sarcastic/satiric most of the time. I'd like to think that's what garners most of my likes here, and in other threads.

I don't think Ridley's size has to do much with Sakurai's behaviour on the matter. I see it as Sakurai merely teasing Ridley, so for me, the question is; does Sakurai think it's justifiable to tease a characters role for a role he's already been.

Thanks for sharing your opinions on the matter though, I also read through this thread at work!
Yeah, working in an office can get boring sometimes. You need breaks from programming. Or as I see it, programming is my breaks from the board, xD

And as for your question, I really don't know. Sakurai tries really hard to represent as much of all the franchises he includes as possible. This means trophies, stages, and enemies when he doesn't have enough resources to make them playable, or if they aren't important enough. In this case, Sakurai may have simply of seen it as an opportunity to portray Ridley in a more for-front fashion than most characters that aren't playable by making him a stage boss. It wouldn't be too far-fetched imo. Of course, he is a legendary troll as well. The fake Palutena statue alone is proof of that. It really is in the wind to me.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Shulk will be revealed in August, any other newcomers will stay as "surprises" for when people pick the game. That is my bet.
One problem with that i just realize

Special case what if a newcomer is a special case. Like say are dragon here or a direct based off one special day for one of the sal characters.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
@WingedSnagret - one of the most earliest picture leaks I always go back and look at this picture it has indeed pierced my mind imbedded in my mind ever since been 2 years....

It's just so perfect and is just seriously what I would love design wise I really wish this was real.

Apparent concept art for newcomers there was on for Slime too... (-_-) obviously fake...... And texting description of a big slow heavy character that's uses cannonballs from the sky to attack.

K. ROOL?!?!?!

Sigh.... It's a dream.... That may just stay a dream for ever....

2n0m3aq.jpg

Conceptual

Smash Rookie
NNID
Conceptual
@WingedSnagret - one of the most earliest picture leaks I always go back and look at this picture it has indeed pierced my mind imbedded in my mind ever since been 2 years....

It's just so perfect and is just seriously what I would love design wise I really wish this was real.

Apparent concept art for newcomers there was on for Slime too... (-_-) obviously fake...... And texting description of a big slow heavy character that's uses cannonballs from the sky to attack.

K. ROOL?!?!?!

View attachment 16469
Is this actual concept art, where do you find these pictures?

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

K. ROOL?!?!?!

View attachment 16469
I never noticed until now that those sketches of Roidley had the same pose as this:
RidleyJ.jpg

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135

Personally I believe Ridley's size does play a big part in this, and no I'm not going to say why he can't be added. I mean if we knew the actual size of Ridley, it would confirm if he was a playable character or a stage hazard. If he was roughly Bowser's or Rosailna's size it would likely confirm him as playable, as if he was a stage hazard he would more likely be the size of the yellow devil or his Brawl appearance, any smaller would seem pointless.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
@WingedSnagret - One of the earliest picture leaks I always go back to and look at is this picture. It has pierced my mind, been embedded in my skull ever since been 2 years ago....

It's just so perfect and it is what I seriously would love design wise. I really wish this was real.

Apparently, there was concept art for other newcomers, too. There was on for Slime... (-_-) making it obviously fake...... And a text description of a big slow heavy character that uses cannonballs from the sky to attack.

K. ROOL?!?!?!

Sigh.... It's a dream.... That may just stay a dream forever....

View attachment 16469
That concept art looks really good, haha. The tail even matches the direct. Too bad it's a fake.

Personally I believe Ridley's size does play a big part in this, and no I'm not going to say why he can't be added. I mean if we knew the actual size of Ridley, it would confirm if he was a playable character or a stage hazard. If he was roughly Bowser's or Rosailna's size it would likely confirm him as playable, as if he was a stage hazard he would more likely be the size of the yellow devil or his Brawl appearance, any smaller would seem pointless.
I think in the context we were saying that Ridley's size isn't a factor that would play against his inclusion. I agree that if we could figure out his size from the shadow, we might figure out a little more about him in the game. But nothing conclusive, he could just be a small boss

Last edited:

Conceptual

Smash Rookie
NNID
Conceptual
Here's the gif for easier access
Thanks, as I said, I can't post links yet.

But this gif is very interesting as it poses new questions. Bosses have in history been able to jump, there's nothing special about that, however.. Ridley can fly, why would he need to jump in order for his "flight mode" to take effect, the only reasoning I can come up with is that it is a mechanic, specifically a playable character mechanic, it would be weird for bosses to have this, but I'll leave it at that, I don't want to get any of my hopes up.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Just found out something about the sal leak

If lucas is kicked his sacirficed will be forever praised, (he got kicked so ridley can get in his spot for short:troll:)

Top Bottom