• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I really hate the idea of Meta/Omega Ridley being a transformation. Just seems so... uninspired. "Well, Bowser, Ganondorf, and Wario do it." Those forms hardly count as "transformations" anyway, so it doesn't really make sense. Though I know it doesn't have to. Just, y'know, it's not so much a transformation as it is "Wow I nearly died thank goodness space pirates saved my body at the last minute."

IF HE DOES TRANSFORM, I hope they reflect that. Ridley bursts into a bunch of explosions like in Super Metroid and Meta-Ridley emerges.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I decided to post here as a way to worship our Lord and Savior RIDLEYYYYYYY!!!!
It would be quite amusing if Omega Ridley is as big as Giga Bowser, if he becomes Ridley's Final Smash.
That's a pretty dang good idea. It would also be awesome if you battle the two against one another. That thought of that... makes my inner Nintendo fanboy "happy."
Ridley should totally have his own victory theme, since he has probably the most recognizable signature boss music* in the Metroid series. I mean, Metaknight got his own victory theme, so why not Ridley?
YES!!! (+20 respect points) It would be totally BAMF status if Ridley had a snippet of the Ridley theme (from Brawl). That would be so awesome!!!

D

Deleted member

I really hate the idea of Meta/Omega Ridley being a transformation. Just seems so... uninspired. "Well, Bowser, Ganondorf, and Wario do it." Those forms hardly count as "transformations" anyway, so it doesn't really make sense. Though I know it doesn't have to. Just, y'know, it's not so much a transformation as it is "Wow I nearly died thank goodness space pirates saved my body at the last minute."

IF HE DOES TRANSFORM, I hope they reflect that. Ridley bursts into a bunch of explosions like in Super Metroid and Meta-Ridley emerges.
Yeah, it'd be like Frieza randomly transforming into Mecha Frieza in mid battle in a DBZ game.
Thankfully, whenever he DOES turn to Mecha Frieza (if at all), it's typically after he lost all his health.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
That's a pretty dang good idea. It would also be awesome if you battle the two against one another. That thought of that... makes my inner Nintendo fanboy "happy."
The only problem would be that only one Smash Ball would appear at a time. And of course, the conflict would be at a stalemate if Giga Bowser and Omega Ridley are both impervious to flinching.

Yeah, it'd be like Frieza randomly transforming into Mecha Frieza in mid battle in a DBZ game.
Thankfully, whenever he DOES turn to Mecha Frieza (if at all), it's typically after he lost all his health.
This is pretty much where I had the thought of an Omega Ridley entity that wasn't part cyborg. The standard Ridley would use that model, while the Meta Ridley alternate outfit would use the cyborg-form Omega Ridley. Obviously, the forms would be aesthetic.

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
I heard the narration Hale had at the beginning of Prime too, but since it didn't make it into the game, it's pretty much nonexistent as far as the rest who played the series are concerned. With the good VA I heard she did in Mass Effect and stuff, it's a shame too. Jessica Martin's not a bad VA either though.
Well Jessica Martin did have rather bad voice direction, but she sounds too young to me. Jennifer Hale sounds just right to me. I'd like to have her back.

Not really seeing how the head looks fat in the Other M pic you posted. Anyway, I'd only want some parts/aspects of Other M Ridley when being playable because he'd have a unique move or two in his moveset that he wouldn't have otherwise, and they could always do something like a mixture of the Super Metroid and Other M design as someone mentioned way earlier in the thread, I think.
Maybe fat wasn't a great way to describe it, but his whole head is flatter and wider than it was before. And I wouldn't mind some of the moveset from Other M, but since his Super/Zero Mission/Fusion(his corpse is there, not Neo-Ridley)/Smash design is far more well-liked and iconic, I'd like it if it was implemented as is.

Haters gonna hate. I agree though that adolescent Ridley would be a copout if it came in place of the space dragon everyone knows and loves.
I liked the Super Metroid flashback. And that's it. Controls (sideways to pointing) was awkward, game was too linear, story was a travesty, most of the voice acting was mediocre, ruined Samus as a character, I'm sure you've heard it all.

I didn't mind the human-like physique he had in Other M, personally. Guess I'm not too picky when it comes to that kind of thing for someone like Ridley, but gaudy colors? He was pretty much the Super Metroid incarnate as far as color scheme went, aside from the shinier/prettier wings and spikes.
He was a hunch-backed skeletal lizard-dragon-pterodactyl, so for an alien I think the old design was far more appropriate. And his colors were a bit odd. Very bright purple skin, shiny red wings, random white spikes, glowing green eyes. Super Metroid's Ridley was more grey than purple and had more subdued colors.

That's what I was thinking too. Mentioned that earlier actually.

@ Oasis: I love Retro's art style, but I must agree with you on Omega Ridley. Since we're on the subject now, thoughts of the cut/earlier designs of Ridley in the Prime trilogy anyone?

http://i.imgur.com/z6iW4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aZBWI.jpg

http://www.abload.de/img/darkposs6gyvg.jpg

While it's not traditional looking, the Chozo-like Ridley would've been unique, but can see why it didn't make it into the final game. There's also this skeletal Ridley, which I'm guessing was an earlier design of Omega Ridley. He looks more like one of the Space Pirates Commandos with those arms and legs, surprisingly.

http://i.imgur.com/OCBUO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IW0ny.jpg
These are pretty cool, but I'm glad Meta Ridley had the design as it was in the original. One of these in place of Omega Ridley would be cool.

Why should that matter?
It wouldn't really make a lot of sense, not that I would mind.

D

Deleted member

I still think my concept of the Ridley Life Cycle is best. And by that, I mean, including Meta, Omega, and Neo. :troll:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

As much as I like Meta-Ridley (and to an extent, Omega Ridley), I feel the same way about a transformation final smash for him at this point as you do. Wouldn't really be anymore original than giving Wolf a Landmaster when you think about it.

Well Jessica Martin did have rather bad voice direction, but she sounds too young to me. Jennifer Hale sounds just right to me. I'd like to have her back.
I would blame the script on that first part then if that's the case, not Jessica herself. And I would like that too if there's another Prime-style game.

Maybe fat wasn't a great way to describe it, but his whole head is flatter and wider than it was before. And I wouldn't mind some of the moveset from Other M, but since his Super/Zero Mission/Fusion(his corpse is there, not Neo-Ridley)/Smash design is far more well-liked and iconic, I'd like it if it was implemented as is.
I guess I have to agree on flatter and wider then, having just looked at that pic again. Egh. And fair enough.

I liked the Super Metroid flashback. And that's it. Controls (sideways to pointing) was awkward, game was too linear, story was a travesty, most of the voice acting was mediocre, ruined Samus as a character, I'm sure you've heard it all.
While I'm sure the nunchuck would've made the game more playable for those who like that kind of thing, I really liked the nostalgic feel of having to use the d-pad. Felt like I was taken back to the Metroid sidescrollers in a modern game. Too linear? With how linear Prime 3 and Fusion were, I thought people would've been able to get over linearity in the series by now, which I think is nowhere near a crime as it's made out to be. Maybe I'm just saying that though because Fusion's one of my top favorites and up there with being my most replayed Metroid game alongside Prime. I liked at least half of Other M's story or so (or more) even though I can see why most didn't. Probably the worst part I thought was when Ridley got cheapshotted by the Metroid Queen. With the buildup there was for her to face that Ridley again, him getting drained by Metroids just seemed like a bad/forced plot twist. Now a full-powered Ridley cracking the Queen's shell with his plasma fire, that would've been nice to see.

I would say the voices were average rather than mediocre, but to each his own. Nothing beats Rundas's voice though as far as Metroid goes. Ruined Samus as a character? Mostly for those who didn't know her as well as they thought they did as a result of not reading the manga or something. And yeah, I've heard it all, which I still find mostly subjective.

He was a hunch-backed skeletal lizard-dragon-pterodactyl, so for an alien I think the old design was far more appropriate. And his colors were a bit odd. Very bright purple skin, shiny red wings, random white spikes, glowing green eyes. Super Metroid's Ridley was more grey than purple and had more subdued colors.
No argument there on the older design being more appropriate, and I guess I mostly remember Super Metroid Ridley being purple because that's how the background made him look when you briefly fought him during the SM prologue, and the fact Ridley's SM design that was used in all the Smash games were mostly purple as well, especially in Melee. But yeah, I guess he is a bit more grey when you fight him in Super Metroid's Norfair.

Other M Ridley having the green eyes was kinda random, but it wouldn't be the first time they chose a different eye color for him (glowing orange eyes as Meta-Ridley, glowing red eyes in Zero Mission, etc). Not sure what eye color he's associated with most.

These are pretty cool, but I'm glad Meta Ridley had the design as it was in the original. One of these in place of Omega Ridley would be cool.
Me too, and I agree. While the Chozo-Ridley might've been cool in theory, having that Skeletal Ridley I posted last in Omega Ridley's place would've been awesome, and more fitting.

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
While I'm sure the nunchuck would've made the game more playable for those who like that kind of thing, I really liked the nostalgic feel of having to use the d-pad. Felt like I was taken back to the Metroid sidescrollers in a modern game. Too linear? With how linear Prime 3 and Fusion were, I thought people would've been able to get over linearity in the series by now, which I think is nowhere near a crime as it's made out to be. Maybe I'm just saying that though because Fusion's one of my top favorites and up there with being my most replayed Metroid game alongside Prime. I liked at least half of Other M's story or so (or more) even though I can see why most didn't. Probably the worst part I thought was when Ridley got cheapshotted by the Metroid Queen. With the buildup there was for her to face that Ridley again, him getting drained by Metroids just seemed like a bad/forced plot twist. Now a full-powered Ridley cracking the Queen's shell with his plasma fire, that would've been nice to see.

I would say the voices were average rather than mediocre, but to each his own. Nothing beats Rundas's voice though as far as Metroid goes. Ruined Samus as a character? Mostly for those who didn't know her as well as they thought they did as a result of not reading the manga or something. And yeah, I've heard it all, which I still find mostly subjective.
It felt more linear than Fusion or Prime 3 to me, but both of them were criticized for being too linear. And the manga (which was kind of bad, only released in Japan, and has an important bit of Samus' backstory that you're expected to know in Other M) contradicts Other M anyway. Samus gets over her fear of Ridley, but then 7 or so fights with him later she shivers like a little girl and doesn't have the nerve to finish him off. Her subservience to Adam was creepy, and everything else about her personality would seem better suited to an inexperienced Samus, but Other M takes place after everything except for Fusion. Retro characterized her very well without talking. The scene at the end of Prime 2 where she saves the Luminoth said a lot without saying anything.

Me too, and I agree. While the Chozo-Ridley might've been cool in theory, having that Skeletal Ridley I posted last in Omega Ridley's place would've been awesome, and more fitting.
Too bad Meta-Ridley in Prime 3 was even uglier than Omega Ridley. The fight with him in the shaft on Norion was one of my favorites.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It felt more linear than Fusion or Prime 3 to me, but both of them were criticized for being too linear. And the manga (which was kind of bad, only released in Japan, and has an important bit of Samus' backstory that you're expected to know in Other M) contradicts Other M anyway. Samus gets over her fear of Ridley, but then 7 or so fights with him later she shivers like a little girl and doesn't have the nerve to finish him off. Her subservience to Adam was creepy, and everything else about her personality would seem better suited to an inexperienced Samus, but Other M takes place after everything except for Fusion. Retro characterized her very well without talking. The scene at the end of Prime 2 where she saves the Luminoth said a lot without saying anything.

Too bad Meta-Ridley in Prime 3 was even uglier than Omega Ridley. The fight with him in the shaft on Norion was one of my favorites.
I thought the manga was the best source of Metroid mythos anywhere. Definitely outclassed any of the games when it came to things like story, characterization (including Ridley's), and character development (at least for Samus) in my opinion. Some small bits of it can be considered non-canon (like Samus's two counterparts she was with at first, whose names I forget now), but it's still most widely accepted as what happened before Zero Mission, despite the amount that don't know of its existence. And Nintendo did take the liberty to translate and colorize the first couple chapters on one of the official Metroid sites to be fair, though wish they had done the same with the rest of the manga.

As for the thing with Samus and Ridley, when she last defeated him in Super Metroid, his remains were supposedly destroyed along with a planet (unlike in all their previous encounters), so I felt her freakout in Other M was perfectly understandable despite the massive backlash that scene gets. Plus too, she had Anthony to worry about, unlike all the other times she fought Ridley. Don't really care about the Adam thing too much at this point, so I won't go out of my way to comment on that. :p

Other than that, I agree.

I kinda forgot exactly what Meta-Ridley looked like in Corruption now to be honest, but I also liked the parts where you saw him fly in the background and attacked some Federation troops with his plasma (on your way back to your ship), and persistently went after you when you were in one of the morph ball tunnels. lol

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The only problem would be that only one Smash Ball would appear at a time. And of course, the conflict would be at a stalemate if Giga Bowser and Omega Ridley are both impervious to flinching.
Yeah, but there may be an option for there to be multiple Smash Balls at once, or that may be different (at least for Smash WiiU, with it's superior processing).

Both could possibly not flinch from other characters moves, but against super transformed characters, the flinching would be normalized-ish.

Plus c'mon, the concept is awesome. It's like Godzilla fighting King Kong status, only better! ;)

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
I thought the manga was the best source of Metroid mythos anywhere. Definitely outclassed any of the games when it came to things like story, characterization (including Ridley's), and character development (at least for Samus) in my opinion. Some small bits of it can be considered non-canon (like Samus's two counterparts she was with at first, whose names I forget now), but it's still most widely accepted as what happened before Zero Mission, despite the amount that don't know of its existence. And Nintendo did take the liberty to translate and colorize the first couple chapters on one of the official Metroid sites to be fair, though wish they had done the same with the rest of the manga.

As for the thing with Samus and Ridley, when she last defeated him in Super Metroid, his remains were supposedly destroyed along with a planet (unlike in all their previous encounters), so I felt her freakout in Other M was perfectly understandable despite the massive backlash that scene gets. Plus too, she had Anthony to worry about, unlike all the other times she fought Ridley. Don't really care about the Adam thing too much at this point, so I won't go out of my way to comment on that. :p

Other than that, I agree.
Wouldn't she have thought he was dead after Zero Mission (at least nearly killing and then the base blew up). She doesn't tremble at the sight of him reborn in Prime. In Prime 3 she defeats Omega Ridley, and he straight up explodes/implodes in a burst of Phazon energy. After coming back from that somehow, she didn't freak out in Super. The reaction she has to Ridley in Other M is over the top and ridiculous. It's out of character and inconsistent with the rest of the series. It could've been done a lot better, here's how I would've done it.

Ridley shows up, close up of Samus' eyes in an expression of shock and fear. Show her with a similar expression as a child on K2-L. Ridley lands in front of her and prepares to kill her. Samus' mother shoots at Ridley from behind, yells at Samus to run, and then Samus looks back to see her impaled with Ridley's tail. Back to the present, Anthony starts shooting at Ridley, who then appears to kill Anthony. The shot goes back to Samus, whose expression changes from shock to anger, cue fight. Instead of not having the nerve to kill Ridley off, he runs from the fight when he is gravely injured.

This gives much more context to her reaction in a short flashback, but also tones it down from the over the top scene in Other M.

I kinda forgot exactly what Meta-Ridley looked like in Corruption now to be honest, but I also liked the parts where you saw him fly in the background and attacked some Federation troops with his plasma (on your way back to your ship), and persistently went after you when you were in one of the morph ball tunnels. lol
That bit with the morph ball tunnel was really cool.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Wouldn't she have thought he was dead after Zero Mission (at least nearly killing and then the base blew up). She doesn't tremble at the sight of him reborn in Prime. In Prime 3 she defeats Omega Ridley, and he straight up explodes/implodes in a burst of Phazon energy. After coming back from that somehow, she didn't freak out in Super. The reaction she has to Ridley in Other M is over the top and ridiculous. It's out of character and inconsistent with the rest of the series. It could've been done a lot better, here's how I would've done it.

Ridley shows up, close up of Samus' eyes in an expression of shock and fear. Show her with a similar expression as a child on K2-L. Ridley lands in front of her and prepares to kill her. Samus' mother shoots at Ridley from behind, yells at Samus to run, and then Samus looks back to see her impaled with Ridley's tail. Back to the present, Anthony starts shooting at Ridley, who then appears to kill Anthony. The shot goes back to Samus, whose expression changes from shock to anger, cue fight. Instead of not having the nerve to kill Ridley off, he runs from the fight when he is gravely injured.

This gives much more context to her reaction in a short flashback, but also tones it down from the over the top scene in Other M.
Only the first Tourian blew up in Zero Mission. Ridley was in Norfair which I'm pretty sure was still intact like the rest of Zebes at the time. My guess is she left him for dead after first defeating him, assuming he would just die then, just like how she didn't go after Meta-Ridley after he fell off the Artifact Temple. As for Omega Ridley's defeat, we only see him wrapping his wings around himself and sinking to the ground, while the scene cuts back to Phazon hitting Samus on the inside, so he probably just got off the Leviathan before she could notice and was later cured of his corruption status like Samus was and reverted back to his normal form in Super Metroid after Dark Samus and Phaaze were destroyed. And how do you know Samus didn't freak out at Ridley's appearance in Super, considering the fact the game didn't have any real cutscenes? For all we know, she did freak out when she saw him at the Ceres station, which allowed him to easily escape with the Metroid hatchling.

Your version of those scenes would've been better than how they were actually executed, I agree. Good thinking.

edit: I was beginning to think they were actually getting somewhere when it came time for Ridley in the "rate and discuss their chances" thread, only to see it locked and replaced by another one. Such indecisiveness.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
And how do you know Samus didn't freak out at Ridley's appearance in Super, considering the fact the game didn't have any real cutscenes? For all we know, she did freak out when she saw him at the Ceres station, which allowed him to easily escape with the Metroid hatchling.
Because she is playable and moves around when he first appears, unlike in Other M?

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
OH DEAR GOD NO NOT AN OTHER M ARGUMENT

NOT HERE!

I hate the game, I hate it with a passion, but I know that a typical Other M argument ends with the thread closing.

Personally, I think everyone should get their own victory theme. Yep. Everyone. I mean, the symbols would still show their series, so having their own victory theme would be beneficial, as it shows more about the character in a way.
It doesn't seem like it would take that much effort; just select portions of music representative of the character and do them. They certainly don't take as much effort as new songs.

It would work great for Pokemon Trainer (Has his own victory theme already), Ridley, Dedede, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, heck, even Jigglypuff (Have her song playing and change the losing characters to be sleeping instead of clapping).

I think the manga is awful. I've read the entire thing, and it reads like glorified fanfiction, especially with the two sidekicks (The elf guy and the muscular guy).

The art is also pretty bad (Just look at how awkward Samus' mother looks in the first chapter) and the art direction is far too cartoony.

I think Metroid should just look at the games and the manga's first chapter, which was decent; the rest, well, just toss it. Do we really want to see Maus and Kreetz (I think those are the names of the sidekicks, I forgot) in a Smash Bros game?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Because she is playable and moves around when he first appears, unlike in Other M?
That's only because Other M had actual interactive cutscenes the player had to watch while Super Metroid didn't, like other retro games at the time. If it did though and there was a cutscene where Ridley first appeared at the Ceres station, how do you know she wouldn't of had any sort of freakout at his return after the Phazon crisis, and that it wasn't what caused him to get away with the Metroid hatchling?

NOT HERE!

I hate the game, I hate it with a passion, but I know that a typical Other M argument ends with the thread closing.
Goes to show how uncivilized the majority of the people who hate (or defend?) the game are then, if most threads here that involve discussion of it get locked. If anyone feels this thread might be in danger of being closed because of me discussing the controversy surrounding the game though, then I'll stop.

I think the manga is awful. I've read the entire thing, and it reads like glorified fanfiction, especially with the two sidekicks (The elf guy and the muscular guy).

The art is also pretty bad (Just look at how awkward Samus' mother looks in the first chapter) and the art direction is far too cartoony.

I think Metroid should just look at the games and the manga's first chapter, which was decent; the rest, well, just toss it. Do we really want to see Maus and Kreetz (I think those are the names of the sidekicks, I forgot) in a Smash Bros game?
Aside from the two minor sidekicks that you only see in like the first few chapters, the manga hardly comes off as a glorified fanfiction, especially compared to Other M. It doesn't really contradict anything in the games either, and tied up loose ends on plot points like how the Chozo declined as a species, why they created the Metroids when they did, why Mother Brain went rogue on the Chozo and joined the Pirates, etc. The characterization of some creatures that we normally don't get to see in-game like Ridley were also spot-on. The list of positives goes on.

Your gripes on the manga are nitpicky at best, like how Samus' mother looks in the first chapter. Why the hell would I care what she looks like when she's just a minor character that dies anyway? The characters that actually matter, I had no problems with in the art department.

Yeah, we don't need to see those two in a Smash game. No one was ever saying we did, but that's no reason to "toss" away the rest of the chapters, considering what happens in them. It's all what directly leads up to Samus's Zero Mission.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Yeah, but there may be an option for there to be multiple Smash Balls at once, or that may be different (at least for Smash WiiU, with it's superior processing).

Both could possibly not flinch from other characters moves, but against super transformed characters, the flinching would be normalized-ish.

Plus c'mon, the concept is awesome. It's like Godzilla fighting King Kong status, only better! ;)
I'm not saying this like I'm against your suggestion. I'm just pointing out that seeing only "1" Smash Ball at a time will pretty much cripple it.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

NOT HERE!

Agreed. This is supposed to be a Ridley thread, not an Other M thread.

D

Deleted member

Ridley is so big, that even his thread branches off into other discussions. :troll:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
@ Oasis: I love Retro's art style, but I must agree with you on Omega Ridley. Since we're on the subject now, thoughts of the cut/earlier designs of Ridley in the Prime trilogy anyone?

http://i.imgur.com/z6iW4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aZBWI.jpg

http://www.abload.de/img/darkposs6gyvg.jpg

While it's not traditional looking, the Chozo-like Ridley would've been unique, but can see why it didn't make it into the final game. There's also this skeletal Ridley, which I'm guessing was an earlier design of Omega Ridley. He looks more like one of the Space Pirates Commandos with those arms and legs, surprisingly.

http://i.imgur.com/OCBUO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IW0ny.jpg

Why should that matter?

By Omega not being part cyborg, I guess you mean more fleshy and Phazon-ish in appearance like Dark Samus was in Echoes? That would be awesome admittedly.
Holy crap, these are amazing, I hadn't seen these before. Well, the first three are the coolest. These are definitely worth at least inspiring alternate custom colors

I was thinking Meta Ridley would make a cool alternate skin, too. even the omega Ridley colors would be a cool one

However, for a final smash, I do like the idea of something other than a transformation.
There are so many cool options.

HI JOHNKNIGHT

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
That's only because Other M had actual interactive cutscenes the player had to watch while Super Metroid didn't, like other retro games at the time. If it did though and there was a cutscene where Ridley first appeared at the Ceres station, how do you know she wouldn't of had any sort of freakout at his return after the Phazon crisis, and that it wasn't what caused him to get away with the Metroid hatchling?
The game has cutscenes, but they didn't use any for the Ridley fight. And Ridley just runs off after a set amount of time, but if you hit him enough he'll drop the hatchling, then grab it and fly off. And Omega Ridley certainly seemed to implode.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
No, they're well into the second volume.
I guess my memory on that wasn't as well as I thought then, though I still stand by what I said about the manga aside from those two nobodies.

Agreed. This is supposed to be a Ridley thread, not an Other M thread.
We're still discussing Ridley regardless. The most hated thing about the latest Metroid game just happens to be in a scene with him in it, unfortunately. Other M's purpose for being brought up in this thread though should be mainly just for talking about some of the abilities he displayed in his boss fight and how they could be applied to a moveset for him in Smash. Nothing more, nothing less.

Holy crap, these are amazing, I hadn't seen these before. Well, the first three are the coolest. These are definitely worth at least inspiring alternate custom colors

I was thinking Meta Ridley would make a cool alternate skin, too. even the omega Ridley colors would be a cool one

However, for a final smash, I do like the idea of something other than a transformation.
There are so many cool options.

HI JOHNKNIGHT
Not too many have seen those before, but the ones that weren't even in the galleries of the Prime games were at least on some of Nintendo's official websites. I thought the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th ones I posted were the coolest.

I guess those could work as skins, but if you were to be Meta-Ridley at all I would prefer to be able to carpet bomb opponents with his multi-missiles or meson bombs. :p

And yeah, there sure are plenty of options.

The game has cutscenes, but they didn't use any for the Ridley fight. And Ridley just runs off after a set amount of time, but if you hit him enough he'll drop the hatchling, then grab it and fly off. And Omega Ridley certainly seemed to implode.
If he did implode we didn't really see it like we did with the other two Leviathan Guardians; we only saw what I mentioned. Interestingly, Omega Ridley's death/defeat is not recorded with the other Guardians on Samus's gunship in the game either, so Super Metroid is really the only time an official kill for Ridley can be confirmed.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just a question: which Ridley boss fight do you think most accurately portrays the way you want Ridley to fight in Smash? Just to get some discussion going.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Just a question: which Ridley boss fight do you think most accurately portrays the way you want Ridley to fight in Smash? Just to get some discussion going.
In Smash? Probably the Ridley rather than the Meta Ridley fight.

Outside of that, I've only fought him in Super Metroid...so yeah, that one.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Probably Other M Ridley, ignoring the unpopular design/appearance he had in that game.

In Smash? Probably the Ridley rather than the Meta Ridley fight.

Outside of that, I've only fought him in Super Metroid...so yeah, thet one.
That's a good one to go off of too. Hopefully they stick to the Super Metroid design with Ridley as well like they have in all three Smash games so far.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
Other M Ridley has a lot of good ground attacks, although I'd like to see Ridley's charge-and-swing from Metroid Prime as a special (Because that attack HURT).

Meta-Ridley shoots fireballs and tackles, regular Ridley just tackles. Meta-Ridley in Brawl is closer to normal Metroid Ridley (Oddly enough, he doesn't have any of Metroid Prime Meta-Ridley's moves).

I'm still flabbergasted that they didn't give Ridley a fireball move in his first boss fight. He's been shooting fireballs since the original Metroid.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Meta-Ridley shoots fireballs and tackles, regular Ridley just tackles. Meta-Ridley is closer to normal Metroid Ridley (Oddly enough, he doesn't have any of Metroid Prime Meta-Ridley's moves).

I'm still flabbergasted that they didn't give Ridley a fireball move in his first boss fight.
Me too. The lack of both Ridley and Meta-Ridley's traditional signature moves was probably what I hated about their Brawl boss fights the most. If Meta-Ridley had those missiles and bombs that he had in Prime 1, he would've obliterated Capt Falcon's vehicle. :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I knew I wasn't the only one who thought the lack of Fireballs was odd in the Ridley boss fight...

But yeah, by what I said, I meant any boss fight, be it from Smash or Metroid, for those who may have been confused.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, and people are probably going to rant at me for this, I find the Other M fight to perfectly represent how Ridley should fight.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Honestly, and people are probably going to rant at me for this, I find the Other M fight to perfectly represent how Ridley should fight.
People don't hate Other M for the gameplay (except the bizzare linearity), they hate it for the poorly thought-out story. I haven't gotten there yet, but I'm sure the boos fight was good.

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
If he did implode we didn't really see it like we did with the other two Leviathan Guardians; we only saw what I mentioned. Interestingly, Omega Ridley's death/defeat is not recorded with the other Guardians on Samus's gunship in the game either, so Super Metroid is really the only time an official kill for Ridley can be confirmed.
There's still the fact he consistently lives through things that should/appear to kill him, that she had already fought him at least 7 times, and that she had gotten over her crippling fear of him in the Zero Mission manga.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Being dead in certain canon doesn't seem to influence Super Smash Bros anyway, due to the series not being canon.

:phone:

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
Being dead in certain canon doesn't seem to influence Super Smash Bros anyway, due to the series not being canon.

:phone:
Indeed, merely discussing Samus' unwarranted breakdown at the sight of Ridley in Other M. I'm not quite sure you can replicate the way he moves in Other M with his usual appearance considering how big his arms are and low wide his shoulders are in Other M. He moves around like a gorilla. They could still take some attacks from it, though.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
People don't hate Other M for the gameplay (except the bizzare linearity), they hate it for the poorly thought-out story. I haven't gotten there yet, but I'm sure the boos fight was good.
The Other M Ridley fight was good except for the forced way in which the player had to use missiles. Ridley just pulls this random power-up ability out of nowhere and is now invincible to attack except by missiles. Instead of designing the enemy around the combat system, like having him don reflective armor that can only be cracked by concussive blasts, they just slapped on a "you must use missiles" skin-tone.

Otherwise, it was a great fight that felt true to the character; Ridley hits hard, he's fast, he uses his tail stab move, he flies, he walks, he feels like Ridley. The music is probably the best remix of Ridley's boss battle theme ever.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing his fighting style from that battle return. His giant fireball from that fight could even be a decent final smash.

Me too. The lack of both Ridley and Meta-Ridley's traditional signature moves was probably what I hated about their Brawl boss fights the most. If Meta-Ridley had those missiles and bombs that he had in Prime 1, he would've obliterated Capt Falcon's vehicle. :p
Or that death ray he has in both Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 3.

D

Deleted member

I think that type of reflective armor he got in Other M would make a great Special.
Retooled, obviously.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The Other M Ridley fight was good except for the forced way in which the player had to use missiles. Ridley just pulls this random power-up ability out of nowhere and is now invincible to attack except by missiles. Instead of designing the enemy around the combat system, like having him don reflective armor that can only be cracked by concussive blasts, they just slapped on a "you must use missiles" skin-tone.
That was the one thing people hated about the gameplay: having to switch into 1st person to shoot missiles. The game would have been better off without the first-person stuff.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well if anyone rants at you for that, then I've got your back. :p

It was. The best fight in the game if you ask me, aside from maybe the Metroid Queen.

There's still the fact he consistently lives through things that should/appear to kill him, that she had already fought him at least 7 times, and that she had gotten over her crippling fear of him in the Zero Mission manga.
There's plausible enough explanations as to how he survived each of his defeats all the way up to near the end of Super Metroid, and just because she overcame her fear of him once at the end of the manga doesn't mean that fear can't resurface at a later time. PTSD doesn't quite work that way, at least not all the time. It can be random like that depending on the person/character who has or have had it before. She overcame her fear of Ridley again though in Other M after he knocked Anthony off the platform, and wasn't afraid or hesitant to track him down after that final talk she had with Adam.

But for the good of this thread I'm done talking about that stuff here. You can continue it with me through PMs like DarkSouls did if you want, and I'll gladly respond if I'm not at work or something.

I'm not quite sure you can replicate the way he moves in Other M with his usual appearance considering how big his arms are and low wide his shoulders are in Other M. He moves around like a gorilla. They could still take some attacks from it, though.
Considering how fast Ridley was in Other M compared to the sluggish Omega Ridley, Meta Ridley (Prime 3) and the like, I would hope they could replicate the way he moves in M:OM in some way, as it would make him a decently fast character methinks. But if they could still take attacks from it at least, that would be good enough for me.

Otherwise, it was a great fight that felt true to the character; Ridley hits hard, he's fast, he uses his tail stab move, he flies, he walks, he feels like Ridley. The music is probably the best remix of Ridley's boss battle theme ever.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing his fighting style from that battle return. His giant fireball from that fight could even be a decent final smash.

Or that death ray he has in both Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 3.
True, true, on all that stuff. Ironic how the Ridley theme was the only good music Other M had to offer (from what I remember) now that you brought it up.

And I was thinking that move might be good too for a final smash, but wasn't sure if it was worth bringing up at first. Ya know, as much as I want a stage from the Prime games that isn't the Frigate Orpheon, it would be most fitting if they had the place you fight Ridley in Other M like in Dead or Alive Dimensions as a stage, if he were to be both playable and have what you said as a final smash that is.

That was the one thing people hated about the gameplay: having to switch into 1st person to shoot missiles. The game would have been better off without the first-person stuff.
I didn't mind it, but it did make like the Ridley fight probably harder than it should've been, at least on hard mode difficulty where you can't get any energy tanks, extra missiles, etc. That in addition to Ridley's speed makes it very difficult to super missile him at the right time, and basically any of his attacks can kill you in one hit on hard mode, making him the hardest boss on that difficulty without question.

Top Bottom