• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
D: I misplaced all of my funny!

I meant to say he wouldn't fit on the disk. I totally said it first.
Um, okay then...

I would've thought that my size comparison images would settle things for Ridley's size. I guess certain quotes just don't know when to quit.
It's nothing new really. People that are in the wrong about something will (more often than not) always use the same crap statements over and over, despite whatever evidence there is to the contrary like what you provided for Ridley's size.

I can't really see Ridley using some sort of reflector. That and the tail grind should be the down B.

Brawl's voice for Samus was weird, but Jessica Martin was still irritating. Jennifer Hale from Prime would be my pick. And Sakamoto probably had a hand in those heels. He's stated that he made Samus his ideal woman in Other M. Unfortunately.

I thought his old head more closely resembled a pterosaur with his large eyes and much more slender face.
Hardening & changing the pigments of his skin could be his side B then or something. When he does that in Other M it makes himself immune to Samus's beam weapons during certain phases of the battle, so having a reflector or projectile immunity that he can temporarily use as a special wouldn't be that far out there.

Hale doesn't really count for Metroid since all she did was grunts and screams for the character. A waste of her talent, really. Whether Sakamoto had a part in those heels (which I personally think is more Team Ninja's doing) can be speculated either way, so I won't really argue with that. And I kind of agree with what DarkSouls said on Jessica Martin.

*googles pterodactyl*

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Jii7_g-yMcY/SW6aR3cQdpI/AAAAAAAAAPc/1j0kkn9Ww5Y/s400/pterodactyl.jpg

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/02/12/pterodactyl_2.jpg

*googles Other M Ridley*

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100818071742/metroid/images/4/49/MOMcommercial.PNG

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6Ca6rioMmku7Jz_p5eTg9Q6GYNEQd5iiFcp2qtSkce4lsyZzlwqZsw52T

Don't know about the eyes, but Other M Ridley does seem to be the most similar to them as far as having those longass beaks.

Meh...

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Hoots said it best when he likened Other Ridley to Woody Woodpecker.

Also I wonder what Sakurai meant by saying Ridley might be a little slow. Some suggest he would be slow in comparison to how he's usually portrayed, but I don't think that makes much since. Like, yes, he wouldn't move at THE EXACT SAME speeds as before, but to remain RELATIVELY fast doesn't seem too hard to do. I mean, again some say he'd be slow to balance him out, but if he's balanced properly then he can be fast anyway so I don't see the problem. I thought maybe it had to do with the way he'd be animated, like he's so lanky and has SO MUCH GOING ON that might force him to be slow, but that doesn't make much sense either.

WHATEVER, I'll take any Ridley I can get.

D

Deleted member

Watch, we get Ridley, but we get a gimmick of the Ridley Life Cycle.

We start with Little Birdie, then it grows to Mystery Creature, then finally, Ridley himself after certain conditions. :troll:

Oh, and if Ridley is KO'd, we get Meta Ridley. Then Omega Ridley. Then Ridley again. Then start back over from Little Birdie all the way back to Ridley again, but this time, he becomes Neo Ridley instead of Meta Ridley. :awesome:

So it's Little Birdie -> Mystery Creature -> Ridley -> Meta Ridley -> Omega Ridley -> Ridley -> Little Birdie -> Mystery Creature -> Ridley -> Neo Ridley -> Dead.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
At least then we get the ever-so-wanted playable zombie.

Iwata: (Laughs)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Stage entrance: Dies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You guys forgot about this when talking about Ridley and Pterodactyls earlier (I spelled that right in 1 try...weird)

D

Deleted member

No but seriously, if we got the Ridley Life Cycle from Other M (meaning no Meta, Omega, Neo, etc.), would you guys rage?

I mean, we would get Ridley, but we'd also get his larval and adolescent stages...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, it would be odd to say the least, but I wouldn't rage. That being said, it isn't exactly something Ridley's known for. Sort of like when pre-Brawl some thought that most of Mario's specials would change to reflect Sunshine (I saw a few of those, yes...).

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I wouldn't,but i think it would be better if it was a Special move,that you can use only after a certain time,and that you can choose the Ridley you want to start with like Sheik.

It's good to stop laughing anyway,laughing made me move my head and almost get it stuck where i have a torticollis...

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Little Birdie as a stage entrance would be pretty cool, IMO. I doubt Sakurai would agree there though. Cute little thing bursting into guts with a dragon emerging from the corpse.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
Ridley should totally have his own victory theme, since he has probably the most recognizable signature boss music* in the Metroid series. I mean, Metaknight got his own victory theme, so why not Ridley?

*Pretends that Draygon and escape sequences don't exist

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
Hale doesn't really count for Metroid since all she did was grunts and screams for the character. A waste of her talent, really. Whether Sakamoto had a part in those heels (which I personally think is more Team Ninja's doing) can be speculated either way, so I won't really argue with that. And I kind of agree with what DarkSouls said on Jessica Martin.
She was originally going to have a small narration at the beginning. I've heard it before, and it sounded better than Alesia Glidewell or Jessica Martin to me. And assuming Team Ninja gave Samus the heels, Sakamoto still approved it.

Those pictures of Other M Ridley are side on. He has a fat head.
http://static.gamesradar.com/images...eview/Finished/Untitled_39--article_image.jpg

As opposed to Brawl Ridley.
http://images.wikia.com/nintendo/en/images/8/81/RidleyPikachu.jpg

And a pterosaur.
http://www.plantapalm.com/vce/evolution/images/EncyPt.jpg

But pterosaur-ness aside, I don't want Other M Ridley because he's really, really ugly.

Waluigi

Smash Apprentice
You know i wouldn't be against the idea of playing as adolescent ridley who already has a lot of ridley features already (blade tail, sharp teeth, probably some form of fire ability) his final smash could be to grow/evolve into adult ridley until knocked out?

Waluigi

Smash Apprentice
I don't want Other M Ridley because he's really, really ugly.
So regular/prime ridley was handsome???

Just kidding
that being said i liked the beefier design of other m ridley but like a lot of people his head looked a bit funny to me as well.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Ridley should totally have his own victory theme, since he has probably the most recognizable signature boss music* in the Metroid series. I mean, Metaknight got his own victory theme, so why not Ridley?

*Pretends that Draygon and escape sequences don't exist
Personally, I think everyone should get their own victory theme. Yep. Everyone. I mean, the symbols would still show their series, so having their own victory theme would be beneficial, as it shows more about the character in a way.

D

Deleted member

Personally, I think everyone should get their own victory theme. Yep. Everyone. I mean, the symbols would still show their series, so having their own victory theme would be beneficial, as it shows more about the character in a way.
Well, it seemed that it was going to be the case in Brawl.
It's a shame it didn't go through...

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
You know i wouldn't be against the idea of playing as adolescent ridley who already has a lot of ridley features already (blade tail, sharp teeth, probably some form of fire ability) his final smash could be to grow/evolve into adult ridley until knocked out?
I think it would be better if everyone pretended Other M wasn't actually made. That and it sounds like a huge cop-out to finally have Ridley but have him as a furry lizard.

So regular/prime ridley was handsome???

Just kidding
that being said i liked the beefier design of other m ridley but like a lot of people his head looked a bit funny to me as well.
Well regular Ridley looks a lot more sleek and alien. I rather like how skeletal he is. In Other M he has a physique not dissimilar from a person, a bunch of randomly placed spikes, gaudy colors, and the aforementioned ugly face.

Waluigi

Smash Apprentice
I think it would be better if everyone pretended Other M wasn't actually made. That and it sounds like a huge cop-out to finally have Ridley but have him as a furry lizard.

Well regular Ridley looks a lot more sleek and alien. I rather like how skeletal he is. In Other M he has a physique not dissimilar from a person, a bunch of randomly placed spikes, gaudy colors, and the aforementioned ugly face.
Oh come on other M wasn't THAT bad. also he does look a more humanoid (a bit to much i must agree) but still pretty much looks like the evil psychopathic dinosaur dragon we've all come to know and fea..i mean love he's just been workin out a bit and some major cosmetic surgery.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
That's what bothers me though. They changed his head so much it almost doesn't even feel like Ridley. Up until... probably Prime 3, his head has been fairly consistent in design, I believe. I know we have Other Ridley to complain about now, but I would complain about Omega Ridley as well. That design was ALSO really ugly. Though I'm kind of biased since in general I didn't like the Prime series art style.

I mean what the hell.

At least you knew what you were looking at with Meta-Ridley:

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
That's what bothers me though. They changed his head so much it almost doesn't even feel like Ridley. Up until... probably Prime 3, his head has been fairly consistent in design, I believe. I know we have Other Ridley to complain about now, but I would complain about Omega Ridley as well. That design was ALSO really ugly. Though I'm kind of biased since in general I didn't like the Prime series art style.

I mean what the hell.

At least you knew what you were looking at with Meta-Ridley:

While Omega Ridley is incredibly hideous, he has an excuse, being a phazon-powered Meta-Ridley whose fleshy bits are growing back between the metal. And I think he's a bit prettier than Other M's Ridley. Certainly more consistent with Ridley's regular design.

http://images.wikia.com/metroid/images/0/05/OmegaRidley.png

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It would be quite amusing if Omega Ridley is as big as Giga Bowser, if he becomes Ridley's Final Smash.
I think Omega Ridley would roughly be the size of Ridley in Brawl.

On a similar subject, I personally like the idea of a Space Pirate raid that Oasis suggested in the first post.

:phone:

dlbpc

Smash Apprentice
I think Omega Ridley would roughly be the size of Ridley in Brawl.

On a similar subject, I personally like the idea of a Space Pirate raid that Oasis suggested in the first post.

:phone:
Agreed, but if they want some sort of Ridley power-up, I think it would make more sense for him to become Meta-Ridley instead, since Omega Ridley is healing Phazon-infused Meta-Ridley.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Agreed, but if they want some sort of Ridley power-up, I think it would make more sense for him to become Meta-Ridley instead, since Omega Ridley is healing Phazon-infused Meta-Ridley.
I did portray Meta Ridley as an alternate outfit for Ridley. At least that way, the Final Smash transformation would look more fitting.

Alternatively, Nintendo could always make an Omega Ridley entity that isn't part cyborg.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hoots said it best when he likened Other Ridley to Woody Woodpecker.

Also I wonder what Sakurai meant by saying Ridley might be a little slow. Some suggest he would be slow in comparison to how he's usually portrayed, but I don't think that makes much since. Like, yes, he wouldn't move at THE EXACT SAME speeds as before, but to remain RELATIVELY fast doesn't seem too hard to do. I mean, again some say he'd be slow to balance him out, but if he's balanced properly then he can be fast anyway so I don't see the problem. I thought maybe it had to do with the way he'd be animated, like he's so lanky and has SO MUCH GOING ON that might force him to be slow, but that doesn't make much sense either.

WHATEVER, I'll take any Ridley I can get.
At first I thought he said Ridley would be slow because that's how he likes to have the villains portrayed (Bowser, Ganondorf, even Mewtwo if you count him despite his real good speed stat in the PKMN metagame), but now I don't know what to think as far as that. If he is slow though, so be it.

It may seems weird to you but i like it...

Althouhg,it could fit to another kind of character maybe

I can't wait to play as Dead Ridley.
Dead? How about an Undead/Ghost/Specter Ridley? :troll:

No but seriously, if we got the Ridley Life Cycle from Other M (meaning no Meta, Omega, Neo, etc.), would you guys rage?

I mean, we would get Ridley, but we'd also get his larval and adolescent stages...
Not sure I would rage necessarily, but I wouldn't pay too much attention to those stages either. The adolescent one is at least cool though for the havoc he caused in the Biosphere training grounds.

She was originally going to have a small narration at the beginning. I've heard it before, and it sounded better than Alesia Glidewell or Jessica Martin to me. And assuming Team Ninja gave Samus the heels, Sakamoto still approved it.

Those pictures of Other M Ridley are side on. He has a fat head.
http://static.gamesradar.com/images...eview/Finished/Untitled_39--article_image.jpg

As opposed to Brawl Ridley.
http://images.wikia.com/nintendo/en/images/8/81/RidleyPikachu.jpg

And a pterosaur.
http://www.plantapalm.com/vce/evolution/images/EncyPt.jpg

But pterosaur-ness aside, I don't want Other M Ridley because he's really, really ugly.
I heard the narration Hale had at the beginning of Prime too, but since it didn't make it into the game, it's pretty much nonexistent as far as the rest who played the series are concerned. With the good VA I heard she did in Mass Effect and stuff, it's a shame too. Jessica Martin's not a bad VA either though.

Not really seeing how the head looks fat in the Other M pic you posted. Anyway, I'd only want some parts/aspects of Other M Ridley when being playable because he'd have a unique move or two in his moveset that he wouldn't have otherwise, and they could always do something like a mixture of the Super Metroid and Other M design as someone mentioned way earlier in the thread, I think.

Haters gonna hate. I agree though that adolescent Ridley would be a copout if it came in place of the space dragon everyone knows and loves.

I didn't mind the human-like physique he had in Other M, personally. Guess I'm not too picky when it comes to that kind of thing for someone like Ridley, but gaudy colors? He was pretty much the Super Metroid incarnate as far as color scheme went, aside from the shinier/prettier wings and spikes.

Looked better on the Artwork

Maybe he is muscular because he is youger than his other appearances?
That's what I was thinking too. Mentioned that earlier actually.

@ Oasis: I love Retro's art style, but I must agree with you on Omega Ridley. Since we're on the subject now, thoughts of the cut/earlier designs of Ridley in the Prime trilogy anyone?

http://i.imgur.com/z6iW4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aZBWI.jpg

http://www.abload.de/img/darkposs6gyvg.jpg

While it's not traditional looking, the Chozo-like Ridley would've been unique, but can see why it didn't make it into the final game. There's also this skeletal Ridley, which I'm guessing was an earlier design of Omega Ridley. He looks more like one of the Space Pirates Commandos with those arms and legs, surprisingly.

http://i.imgur.com/OCBUO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IW0ny.jpg

Why should that matter?

I did portray Meta Ridley as an alternate outfit for Ridley. At least that way, the Final Smash transformation would look more fitting.

Alternatively, Nintendo could always make an Omega Ridley entity that isn't part cyborg.
By Omega not being part cyborg, I guess you mean more fleshy and Phazon-ish in appearance like Dark Samus was in Echoes? That would be awesome admittedly.

Top Bottom