• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Well, ask him.
Maybe he just wants THIS to happen. To have people argue for months to finally reveal he was just a boss.
I mean, if a random person watches that Direct, he will think Ridley is a boss cuz that's what Sakurai wants us to think.
Now if that's what he really is, people who hoped he'd be playable can only blame themselves if they're disappointed. Sakurai just teased Ridley as a boss, he hasn't done anything else.
Again, that doesn't fit what Sakurai, not Nintendo, have been saying and doing.

They don't want false speculation in terms of characters in the game, they have as much as said this, and backed it up with actions. When they show someone even in the slightest, they state their purpose in the game, clarify elsewhere if the need arises and we all move on, even characters like Takamaru and Waluigi, who were quite high on some people's lists (nowhere near Ridley level though) were given this treatment.

In this case though there is not only speculation generated from what they've shown us, they've kept doing it. Starting with Pyrosphere mentioning "an enemy from Samus' past", mentioning that Smash Bros "doesn't always follow normal scale" (or words to that effect) and of course the near legendary shadow. If they followed what they do in these situations, they'd have ended this already, or in fact, never started it if Ridley wasn't playable.

Think back to Palutena, the closest we get to a parallel here. Not mentioned by name, but she was referenced as "watching over the stage" with her statue shown. Guess what, she was later revealed as a character after such teasing. They have done this with characters that are playable in game, they have never to my knowledge done this (not this development cycle at least) for any other role in the game (boss, assist trophy, stage hazard, etc.). Can you offer an example where they have?

What's more is this seems to be the policy Nintendo follows as a whole. Remember when they showed the trailer for the new Zelda and there was speculation about whether "Link" was a boy or a girl? They cleared that up in the follow days when the discussions boards were booming with false speculation, because of course, it's not good for them to cause that level of disappointment. Remember when there was the "who said that was Link" comment? Guess what, they cleared that right up too, because again, such false speculation is not good for them when it all comes crashing down and those invested as suddenly disenchanted with the game.

Here of course, we don't just have a booming discussion, we have, on this board alone, 1.6 million + view, 1500+ page mega-thread, and has basically become it's own subculture. They would not be fanning the flames just to alienate such a huge chunk of the community, that doesn't fit with what they do, nor with good business sense.

Who knows, he might be a stage hazard, but everything they've done and said in the past suggests they wouldn't do anything like this if he wasn't playable.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I feel so ignored, the guy I'm attempting to argue with doesn't notice me and everything I state ends up being said by someone else... :c
Be glad you don't have to waste any energy to talk about this Ridleyculous argument!
Why must this thread be attacked daily by some bully detractors? :urg:
Because after having a romantic night with Ridley, they figured the size argument is suddenly valid

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I like how all arguments are basically RIDLEY IS THE EXCEPTION!!!!!!!!!!
Pretty much this here. It's getting quite annoying that these lame arguments are continuing like this. I don't think a stage hazard is worth all this teasing for basically a year. He would've shown the stage hazard Ridley if he was such a thing right after the direct, but nope he didn't. I just hope he gets revealed sooner rather than later.

Thor_Hammerschlag

Smash Cadet
Here it is. Straight to the point. No escape. Not HD. Sad face.

I can make better version of it, with actual Roidley, Samus and Pikachu. I just need that "WiiU" thing on the image.

Yes. That is really annoying. He wasn't deconfirmed like everyone else because Sakurai doesn't wants to disappoint as much as he would by doing that 1 year earlier without any space left for hope. Why not someone else, like Toad, who is not awesome and is not awesome space pirate dragon?
This is a fake isnt it? Or link?

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
This is a fake isnt it? Or link?
Obviously fake. It is one of the preview images from Pyrosphere Project M hack. I am working on a better looking fake PotD, with Roidley. Then someone will need to post it somewhere. I want to see how many idiots will count that as Ridley's deconfirmation without looking closer.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
You make it too easy for me:

@ SchAlternate SchAlternate X @Dalek_Kolt ?

:p

Don't get too public with your incredible love for each other okay? ;)
Dangit, I knew something like this was gonna happen eventually.

View attachment 21991 It's-it's not like that!

We just happen to have the same name, love for drawing, and similar ideas every once in a while!
You're not helping either.

It's not about being incompetent, it's about not having time. The Wii U version still has no release date... so they are incompetent right cuz it's coming months after the 3DS version ? It's just that the game has tons of content so they can't focus on everything at the same time.

So Ridley is an AT then ? Cuz he's referring to him when he says "ennemy from Samus past".
And a playable character can't "appear at any second" since when the fight starts, no one can join, you have to go back to the character selection screen.
By "appearing at any second" he may mean his reveal. Everything is so vague one can't come on and say ERMAHGERD ITS 100% PROOF THIS'LL HAPPEN.

Even if we say that Ridley is all but confirmed, deep inside there's still some doubt about it.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Well, ask him.
Maybe he just wants THIS to happen. To have people argue for months to finally reveal he was just a boss.
I mean, if a random person watches that Direct, he will think Ridley is a boss cuz that's what Sakurai wants us to think.
Now if that's what he really is, people who hoped he'd be playable can only blame themselves if they're disappointed. Sakurai just teased Ridley as a boss, he hasn't done anything else.
That is an absolutely ludicrous sentiment. Sakurai would never - never - build people up specifically to crush people's hopes like that. The clip was purposely ambiguous. At this point, you're going over ground we've already disproven; Sakurai worded that the way he did and had that clip the way he did to allow speculation, and if he hadn't, we'd have gotten a Chrom-esque disconfirmation afterwards. Yes, Sakurai could have intended us all to believe it was a boss. But to not disconfirm Ridley while knowing people were still hoping for him at all, let alone on the basis of "I didn't tease him as anything other than a boss, it's their problem not mine"? Not happening. Especially not when they disconfirmed Chrom the way they did.

Sakurai may be heralded as a troll, but he's not a bad person at heart.

EDIT:
Once upon a time...

...Amiibo.

The End
Oh, snap.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well, ask him.
Except that is the complete opposite of what he wants it to happen. Sakurai has already stated he doesn't like to create fake hype because it only causes senseless specultaion that lead to nothing but dissapointment.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
At this rate, if Ridley is revealed this week, this thread will come to a close due to it exceeding 2000 posts.

And then it'll be reborn as Ridley's character subforum. After a long journey that culminates succesfully.

It's poetic as heck if you think about it.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
It's not about being incompetent, it's about not having time. The Wii U version still has no release date... so they are incompetent right cuz it's coming months after the 3DS version ? It's just that the game has tons of content so they can't focus on everything at the same time.

So Ridley is an AT then ? Cuz he's referring to him when he says "ennemy from Samus past".
And a playable character can't "appear at any second" since when the fight starts, no one can join, you have to go back to the character selection screen.

Ridley as a playable character could appear at any second if someone selected them on the roster screen before the match, appear at any second if they decide to reveal him as playable, at any second when he's unlocked. It could also be AT, or hazard, but there's most certainly other ways to look at it if you aren't trying to be difficult and look at it objectively.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Apparently, Namco and Sora's priorities for stage hazards are these:

1: Publicly reveal the existence of the hazard before having developed it.

2: Fully develop the shadow of the character but not the hazard itself.

3: Show this functional shadow, even though the main hazard is still undone.

Please..... Playable or not, he is done, its just being withheld for the hype.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
I don't think the "at any second" thing was supposed to be literal anyway, Sakurai was probably just playing around like usual.
My hypothesis is that, if Ridley/Roidley is playable, it is a tease to his unlocking requirements : Play X amount of matches on Pyrosphere, or maybe play x amount of games as Samus or ZSS on Pyrosphere. Then there will be "New Challenger approaching!" and you will unlock Ridley.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
My hypothesis is that, if Ridley/Roidley is playable, it is a tease to his unlocking requirements : Play X amount of matches on Pyrosphere, or maybe play x amount of games as Samus or ZSS on Pyrosphere. Then there will be "New Challenger approaching!" and you will unlock Ridley.
What about the 3ds version, not to mention that it comes out first?
Maybe "Play 15 total matches as samus and zero suit samus" or "Beat Classic with Samus or Zero Suit samus on the BIGGEST difficulty"

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
Yet again the pattern continues whenever a detractor come on here. talks about how Ridley was being teased as a boss and therefore hes disconfirmed, 50/50 chance of argument continuing for a number of pages. :/
On another note, if we get another villain character appearance in tomorrows PotD, would this perhaps hint at a villains trailer starring good ol Ridley?

Last edited:

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Guys, we've been over this! Ridley is 100% playable. No other possibility! Zero! Nein! Nyet! Anyone saying otherwise is grasping at straws, mongering false hope! RIDLEY FTAGHN, remember?

Also: If you have to argue, you're in the same boat! Arguing implies you believe there's a chance of failure! You cannot be wrong, only Sakurai can! :pimp:

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
Not ridley related but

http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/08/pokemon-new-project-to-be-announced-on-august-26th/

A shocking announcement (don't get hopes up)

This could be when mewtwo get revealed (the reason im putting this here is since ridley is highly request he could be in the trailer with the pokemon, if there is one.)
announcement? Pichu confirmed.
To be more specific if sakurai is one of the mystery guest that pretty much good chance the next trailer comes out for smash.
A SHOCKING announcement? Pichu confirmed.

Yetiplays

Smash Cadet
All I have to say on this subject is, if Ridley is only a Boss, It'd be really insensitive to the fans for Sakurai to do so after All the teasing, and Hype.

I'm 100% in the boat that he's playable, but might I ask how do we KNOW he is playable.

iamresh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VivillonDoe
3DS FC
1891-1659-0237
All I have to say on this subject is, if Ridley is only a Boss, It'd be really insensitive to the fans for Sakurai to do so after All the teasing, and Hype.

I'm 100% in the boat that he's playable, but might I ask how do we KNOW he is playable.
we dont know for sure. we just have evidence proving he is quite likely

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
EDIT: :4greninja:'ed by the man himself!
Main man...always wins...BWARGH GARGH GARGH GARGH! (how would that really sound like?)

Ok, here it is:

"BLAH BLAH, Ridley is a boss. Now go to sleep!"
-Sakurai​
I decided to make it look better by adding GFX! It shows Ridley (boss) scraping Bowser along the wall and oh boy, he is big! Just look at dem rims - it is absolutely real. Seriously. I found it in Google.
Post this everywhere you can
So we would count how many idiots will think it is real and they were right that Ridley is a boss
???
PROFIT!
Ok, IsmaR, i won't spread fake leaks. Happy now?
I don't think the "at any second" thing was supposed to be literal anyway, Sakurai was probably just playing around like usual.
That "at any second" doesn't even exists in original text. It exists only in english version.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
If you have to ask for a reason, inform High Command of your infirmity. You will be provided with proper cleansing agents and instructed to fast before your summary execution.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman

we dont exactly know, no one knows except for Sakurai and close trust worthy members who know the final roster. all we have are things that lead towards Ridley most likely being a playable character. the 2nd post is a summary of why Ridley is most likely a playable character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Bosses that are known to be fast don't slowly fly to opponents, catch their breath for a bunch, follow the opponent and suddenly move to the right

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
Ladies and mentlegen, we are gathered here today, on #Disconfirmondays, to mourn the loss of our very first guest.
The back of Smash 3DS' Japanese case (the little art on the back, like the boxart) has been revealed (the "Filesize of Smash 3DS on Eshop Revealed thread shows you), and in the Company listing, Konami... isn't listed.
Rest in Peace, Solid Snake. 2008-2014. :snake:
Good riddance. Get out of here, Sony character.

...Anywho, back to Ridley! :140:
It's okay Snake, you're welcomed here!

Last edited:

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
Main man...always wins...BWARGH GARGH GARGH GARGH! (how would that really sound like?)

Ok, here it is:

-Sakurai​
I decided to make it look better by adding GFX! It shows Ridley (boss) scraping Bowser along the wall and oh boy, he is big! Just look at dem rims - it is absolutely real. Seriously. I found it in Google.
So we would count how many idiots will think it is real and they were right that Ridley is a boss
???
PROFIT!

That "at any second" doesn't even exists in original text. It exists only in english version.
What did it actually say in Japanese though? I'm quite curious.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

Ok, here it is:

-Sakurai​
???
PROFIT!

Fake! It should be quoted from Samurai

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044
At least we have tokusatsu Falcon, and Ridley being a Kaiju/Kaijin
Oh god, I just had something sweet! Remember that part where Ultraman bursts out of the building? Someone needs to make a gif with Ridley's head edited over Ultraman's, while Shokio's head is edited over the Kaiju's! XD

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Oh god, I just had something sweet! Remember that part where Ultraman bursts out of the building? Someone needs to make a gif with Ridley's head edited over Ultraman's, while nintendoultra's head is edited over the Kaiju's! XD
Shokio confirmed he was just trolling and wouldn't care if Ridley was playable or not, just like how Rogersbase said he wanted Ridley but doesn't think he has a chance

Top Bottom