• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Now I wonder if there will be a Ridley mask.
These hats are old ones from the StreetPass Plaza (though on Wii U). There is no Ridley one, so there would have to be something substantial to make me think they're making new hats for all the playable characters who don't already have one.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Besides....Meta Kinght is too cool to get cut.....but the pic really scared me,....I mean....he doesn't give me my beloved purple space dragon for MONTHS....and he later shows that? With the trolling thing I don't always get...?

Sakurai really made me hate mondays more than I already do.
But he does give us something with purple wings. Just like someone else we know. :troll:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I've honestly got no idea what to say about this pic of the day. Regardless of how 'broken' he is, Meta Knight shouldn't be deconfirmed!:metaknight::metaknight::metaknight:

WE NEED HIM NOW!!!! \(0o0)/
\(0o0)/
Meta Knight was not disconfirmed and if being broken was a reason to cut a character, Fox wouldn't have been in Brawl and Pikachu wouldn't have been in Melee.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Welp. Let's all draw conclusions from this PotD haphazardly. Meta Knight has obviously been cut, because Mii dude is wearing his head, and Samus is probably a stage boss. The helmet is a reward. This at the same time confirms that Anthony is taking Dark Samus' place as an Assist Trophy, Dark Samus becomes playable, and Ridley will be a background element of the Paper Mario stage.

This is how it works, right?
Either way, no Ridley, Sakurai being jolly and making people cry, the usual! That's good.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Either way, no Ridley, Sakurai being jolly and making people cry, the usual! That's good.
No Ridley, but more Metroid. I think it still counts as a tease, even if a more subtle one.

No word on a Nintendo Direct for the 12th or 13th yet?

Meandpikachu

Smash Journeyman
Is this a pic that you're talking about Meta Knight's Mask but First I watch Anime Kirby so I finish watching this so I went back to website so it was kirby characters is Meta Knight!?!
daily-en (2).jpg

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
He was implying that the explosion in the Robin/Lucina confirmation trailer was from Ridley, which...
Which one?

...I find as likely as nope. Captain Falcon did that. Not Ridley.
Ok, new way the trailer plays out. We never see what Chrom is watching when he looks up at the end. We thought it was Lucina and Robin fighting Captain Falcon. Actually, it was Captain Falcon being eaten by Ridley. That's enough to make anyone go "yep, I'm sitting this one out".

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
Who wants to bet Sakurai showing Meta knight in the next pic of the day? Hopefully this the start of villains month, with Ridley topping it all off.

Last edited:

Weavel

Smash Ace
Who wants to bet Sakurai showing Meta knight in the next pic of day? Hopefully this the start of villains month, with Ridley topping it all off.
I don't consider meta knight or star wolf to be villains just saying. A genuine villain is king k rool or ganondorf.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
I don't consider meta knight or star wolf to be villains just saying. A genuine villain is king k rool or ganondorf.
Anyone with slight bad bone in there body can be classified as a villain to me in the Nintendo universe. Most of Nintendo's heroes are boy/girl scouts saving everyone with zero complaining or hesitation. Even Bowser who I think we can all agree is a villain, has helped Mario before.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Meta Knight tried to take over Pop Star. Because he felt the inhabitants were too lazy.

How is that not a villain move?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

And people still deny the fact that Sakurai likes messing with peoples' heads regarding their most wanted characters?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

And people still deny the fact that Sakurai likes messing with peoples' heads regarding their most wanted characters?
That's because everyone knows that this PotD was actually supposed to be shown after the Meta Knight/Ridley reveal trailer, and someone in the scheduling office just accidentally bumped it up a few days.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Only if it suits their needs.

And yeah, compared to maybe some different characters, I don't see Sakurai cutting one of his own babies. He's just having a little fun before he's ready to fully let Meta Knight out of the bag.

Back to Ridley though. ~

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Meta Knight tried to take over Pop Star. Because he felt the inhabitants were too lazy.

How is that not a villain move?
Ignoring the many times he has actually saved it of course, only for Kirby to yank it up. Meta Knight does what he sees best for Dream Land, he considers himself its guardian, his motivations weren't totally sound in Revenge of Meta Knight no, but in every other of his appearances he is only doing things to protect it. Much like Dedede he's more of an anti-hero and Kirby's rival.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Ignoring the many times he has actually saved it of course, only for Kirby to yank it up. Meta Knight does what he sees best for Dream Land, he considers himself its guardian, his motivations weren't totally sound in Revenge of Meta Knight no, but in every other of his appearances he is only doing things to protect it. Much like Dedede he's more of an anti-hero and Kirby's rival.
Most dictators do "what they think is right for the people". Meta Knight happens to think that he knows what's "right" better than anyone else, and is willing to enforce that belief with force.

The fact that he has good an noble intentions is irrelevant. If you disagree with him, he'll enslave you. He'll do it because he believes it's what's best for you, but he'll still do it.

Villain (ok, maybe anti-hero).

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
That's because everyone knows that this PotD was actually supposed to be shown after the Meta Knight/Ridley reveal trailer, and someone in the scheduling office just accidentally bumped it up a few days.
I know this is supposed to be a joke, but I think that Ridley might have been planned to be revealed already. I'm under the impression that Sakurai had planned this reveal schedule way ahead of time, so I believe he was possibly planning on an July or August release date for Japan, but due to the 1-to-2-month delay, he may have had to reschedule the reveals to better space them out. Though, considering there are possibly a couple more trailers left in the wings, (in addition to Ridley's) he could have several extra trailers as a fallback, that he'll release on launch. Then again, I assume too much. It's still an interesting thought, though.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Most dictators do "what they think is right for the people". Meta Knight happens to think that he knows what's "right" better than anyone else, and is willing to enforce that belief with force.

The fact that he has good an noble intentions is irrelevant. If you disagree with him, he'll enslave you. He'll do it because he believes it's what's best for you, but he'll still do it.

Villain (ok, maybe anti-hero).
Except, you know, ever since the incident he has completely cut off that kind of behavior and has only done good things. The fact that he's a villain in one game is a bit irrelevant when he's a good guy in all of his other appearances, even in SSE. Heck, Kirby has harmed Dream Land more than Meta Knight, even if it's just because he's oblivious, I think that says something about how little Meta Knight harmed Dream Land to begin with.

Last edited:

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
Ridley with Ganondorf's Hyrule Warriors mullet would probably be awesome.
Quick someone draw that!
do people even know what a mullet is?

just because someone has long hair doesnt mean they have a mullet... otherwise a large portion of males and females are guilty of having one.

ganondorf has a mane, not a mullet.

didnt ridley already have a mane in other M... as that weird... form... whatever it was?

but i suggest someone draw ridley with an ACTUAL mullet, just to show people what one looks like.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Enough off topic discussion. Meta Knight's lawful-neutral affinity doesn't pertain to Ridley anymore than Dedede's evil-in-a-can does.

I'm a little bored.

can someone convince me Ridley is not too big to be in this game?
I'm not sure it has been brought up before, but it's pretty strange to include someone in Smash that is just so much bigger than everyone else. He is just gigantic. Why not have Giga Bowser fight if we were gonna do that? I just don't think it makes any sense. We should have Baby Samus instead.

He is just too big. No character makes that much sense.

I don't think any of those look bad, nor do him any "injustice" by not making him colossal. Everyone has their own opinions though, so I don't expect these alone to "convince" you of anything (much less all the quotes from Sakurai himself about size not always being to scale in Smash, nor that it doesn't always adhere to canon). However your misconceptions about "someone being so much bigger" than everybody else should apply to all big characters, not just Ridley, right? Bowser normally isn't just barely over 1.5 times Mario's height, meanwhile Ganondorf normally towers over Link. Yet in Smash they were scaled down without so much as a second thought, and people stopped questioning it almost immediately.

Furthermore, as I'm sure you'll probably hear a lot, size isn't one of Ridley's defining features, especially compared to other massive bosses/characters in the Metroid series. As a matter of fact, Ridley's often one of the smaller bosses, with his size being almost as inconsistent as some of the examples we have in Smash (Pokemon, Kirby characters, Olimar, and so on all being canonically smaller than anywhere even near playable size, yet they're all scaled up as needed). Smash alone shows that with his exponential shrinking from regular Ridley to Meta Ridley size (as does Metroid Prime 3's Meta Ridley to Omega Ridley situation).

I'm not sure why boredom should matter, nor how much someone being "too big" makes perfect sense (I'm not even touching the Baby Samus thing), but the majority of this fanbase (at the very least, this thread) wouldn't even try comparing Ridley to Giga Bowser, much less canon size Bowser. I mean this with as little offending demeanor as possible, but to see anyone so convinced that something as frivolous as size should keep someone from being playable/making a lot of fans extremely happy, well, it just depresses me. Not referring to you specifically, but the "Ridley is too big" argument has in fact popped up here enough times that we're all tired of dealing with it.

Whether he is or isn't in, fits better as a boss or not, and whether Ridley truly is the exception to everything is irrelevant as to why he does or doesn't make it. Individuals (even Sakurai himself) thinking someone is something like too big doesn't make it "right" or true. Even then, Sakurai himself has said if they put their best efforts into it, they could probably come up with something. If he didn't this time? Oh well, Ridley still could've been resized in our eyes.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Enough off topic discussion. Meta Knight's lawful-neutral affinity doesn't pertain to Ridley anymore than Dedede's evil-in-a-can does.

I don't think any of those look bad, nor do him any "injustice" by not making him colossal. Everyone has their own opinions though, so I don't expect these alone to "convince" you of anything (much less all the quotes from Sakurai himself about size not always being to scale in Smash, nor that it doesn't always adhere to canon). However your misconceptions about "someone being so much bigger" than everybody else should apply to all big characters, not just Ridley, right? Bowser normally isn't just barely over 1.5 times Mario's height, meanwhile Ganondorf normally towers over Link. Yet in Smash they were scaled down without so much as a second thought, and people stopped questioning it almost immediately.

Furthermore, as I'm sure you'll probably hear a lot, size isn't one of Ridley's defining features, especially compared to other massive bosses/characters in the Metroid series. As a matter of fact, Ridley's often one of the smaller bosses, with his size being almost as inconsistent as some of the examples we have in Smash (Pokemon, Kirby characters, Olimar, and so on all being canonically smaller than anywhere even near playable size, yet they're all scaled up as needed). Smash alone shows that with his exponential shrinking from regular Ridley to Meta Ridley size (as does Metroid Prime 3's Meta Ridley to Omega Ridley situation).

I'm not sure why boredom should matter, nor how much someone being "too big" makes perfect sense (I'm not even touching the Baby Samus thing), but the majority of this fanbase (at the very least, this thread) wouldn't even try comparing Ridley to Giga Bowser, much less canon size Bowser. I mean this with as little offending demeanor as possible, but to see anyone so convinced that something as frivolous as size should keep someone from being playable/making a lot of fans extremely happy, well, it just depresses me. Not referring to you specifically, but the "Ridley is too big" argument has in fact popped up here enough times that we're all tired of dealing with it.

Whether he is or isn't in, fits better as a boss or not, and whether Ridley truly is the exception to everything is irrelevant as to why he does or doesn't make it. Individuals (even Sakurai himself) thinking someone is something like too big doesn't make it "right" or true. Even then, Sakurai himself has said if they put their best efforts into it, they could probably come up with something. If he didn't this time? Oh well, Ridley still could've been resized in our eyes.
But what about his wings? Did you think about them?
Or his tail?
Too big.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Oh, @BaganSmashBros I wanted to ask you something, since I have only seen Brawley flying, I have been always curious on how he would look walking on all fours....and as much as I have tried to study Omega's walk cycle, I can't see a **** thanks to the lighting in the Leviathan...and he's paralyzed, so.......do you think you could do a little animation of Brawley walking?

Like this one?
View attachment 21263

Sure, it won't be as simple as making him walk on 2, but i will try.
That is why I'm curious to see he looks walking like that! An animation of him walking on his hind legs could be also useful for me, specially with my Catrin Ridley, since I always draw him standing in two legs.
I nearly finished THIS animation (or at least 2nd version of it), i just need to animate other parts of the model. I have 2 other animations like that, one of them is Ridley walking, other one is Roidley walking. If only there would be same thing in BrawlBox for feet like in MMD...then i would do that faster.

So, Meta Knight is disconfirmed somehow? Bulls*** since he is one of Sakurai's characters (right?) and there is no reason to cut him instead of a clone veteran that isn't even a semi-clone *coughToonLinkcough*.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Warning Received
Tail can hang next to his body. Wings can be folded up, or if it's really necessary, they can be modified.
What about his purple color? We havnt had anything that big AND purple on the TV's before. It wouldn't make any sense.
DECONFIRMED.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
What about his purple color? We havnt had anything that big AND purple on the TV's before. It wouldn't make any sense.
DECONFIRMED.
Bu
I
Drat, hadn't thought of that before.
Wait, no. Ridley IS in the game, but you can't play as the purple colour, instead you can only play as his alts.

Zynux

Smash Lord
To the size discussion a dozen or so pages ago; using "canon" as a reason why Ridley can't be resized is fallacious because Ridley has no canonical size. Objectively. Point me to any Metroid concept sheet that deals with Ridley's canonical size and then I'll believe you. Even better, show me canonical evidence on why Ridley can't keep a consistent size throughout the series, from being monstrously huge to only twice the height of Samus.

Now, if you're going to argue that Ridley should probably be a certain scale/proportion compared to Samus, then that much more of a fair argument (though subjective). Ridley may not have a canonical size, but he is consistently larger then Samus, and many Ridley supporters agree that this should hold true to this game as well. We believe a good balance can be made. Personally, striving toward Ridley's body size and height from Super Metroid, Prime 1, and Other M are a good place to start for his size.

As for hitbox issues, Ridley's wings will either be folded or hanging off to the side often, so most of the time it won't be an issue. Admittedly the tail will be problematic, and it may be slightly weird for Ridley having a smaller tail, but his tail is known to extend farther then it actually is when he attacks. Even if he does have a smaller tail, his tail during attacking with it I can guarentee you will be very long (or should be, anyway).

---

And Ridley being a "clone" of Charizard? Certainly possible, but oh boy what a sad day that would be, as it would go against Ridley's design philosophy in many of his boss fights. Aerial control, aggressive assaults from the air (especially from his tail and Plasma breath), swooping grabs, all point to that Ridley should be an Offensive Aerial Fighter. The only character that seems to come close to this is Jigglypuff, but Ridley would be unique in having a more Grappler playstyle with most of his viable moves being offensive airborne attacks that assault ground players.

Ridley even being a semi clone of Charizard would be a huge waste.

Size doesn't matter in Smash Bros.
:love: Embarrass :4peach::4zelda::4sheik::4samus::4zss::rosalina::4wiifit::4palutena::4lucina::4robinf::jigglypuff:Embarrass :love:............................:4marth:
^
:troll: These lovely Super Bash Sisters on the roster say otherwise! I mean, why else do you think they want Ridley in Smash?! Merit? Popularity? Uniqueness Potential? Please, they just want some 1v1, items optional with that Mr. Too-Big Purple :troll:

...I apologize, that was crass of me. I'll see myself out.

No no, it's okay. I can get the door myself...

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
But what about his wings? Did you think about them?
Or his tail?
Too big.
I would argue Charizard has some proportionally big wings, but they aren't much of an issue considering they're often folded up.

Smash 4 Heavyweights.png

DECONFIRMED.
...And I'd argue you're a little too bored.

Captain Soviet

Smash Apprentice
Okay, I've been lurking on this thread basically since the April direct (Shadowgate? Shadowgate.) I've seen plenty of detractors come and go, and I've seen the words "too big" thrown around like Tommy Wiseau's football. So I thought I'd throw in my two pennies about Ridley's size.

Is Ridley's size important to him as a character? Abso-freaking-lutely.

Now, I'm not talking canonically, I mean thematically. Let's look at Ridley's size compared to some other Metroid bosses.

Metroid Zero Mission-We have our "Main Three" bosses; Mother Brain, Ridley, and Kraid. Now, if I showed someone unfamiliar with Metroid a size comparison of Ridley and Kraid, who would you expect them to chose as the most dangerous? Kraid, because look at him. Dude's the size of a two-story house. Pay attention, I'm going somewhere with this.

Metroid Prime, one of my first Metroid games (I got Prime and Fusion at the same time). Ridley-or Meta Ridley as he's known in the Prime Trilogy-is the penultimate boss. The last major fight before the eponymous Metroid Prime boss itself. But he's far from the biggest boss or even second biggest boss in Prime. The Omega Pirate, Thardus, and even Flaeggra (pretty sure I spelled that one wrong) are all bosses that I remember as much bigger than Ridley, and that's just off the top of my head.

Metroid Prime 3, since he wasn't in 2. Ridley actually changes size in this game, from Meta Ridley early on, to Omega Ridley much, much later in the game. If I remember correctly, he's either the penultimate boss, or the boss before the penultimate one. What's impressive here, and most conducive to the point I'm getting to is that Ridley actually shrinks in size. He was bigger in his Meta Ridley form from Norion than he was as Omega Ridley.

I think we're wrapping up here. Earlier in this post I talked about Ridley's size as thematically important. And then I went on about other bosses in comparison to him. What's interesting that, except for Metroid Prime, every boss I named was fought before Ridley. And that goes to the theme of the character. Ridley is one of the hardest boss fights, and most dangerous creatures in every game he's in. And he does it without sheer size. He does it by being strong, powerful, and vicious as all Norfair. Ridley is one of the single most dangerous things in each game (and the story of the series as a whole) despite being physically dwarfed by the likes of Kraid.

"Resizing" Ridley (some thing I find hilarious as an argument, dude shrunk over the course of one game) to make him playable size is not some great betrayal of the character. It is an affirmation of his design philosophy.

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
Okay, I've been lurking on this thread basically since the April direct (Shadowgate? Shadowgate.) I've seen plenty of detractors come and go, and I've seen the words "too big" thrown around like Tommy Wiseau's football. So I thought I'd throw in my two pennies about Ridley's size.

Is Ridley's size important to him as a character? Abso-freaking-lutely.

Now, I'm not talking canonically, I mean thematically. Let's look at Ridley's size compared to some other Metroid bosses.

Metroid Zero Mission-We have our "Main Three" bosses; Mother Brain, Ridley, and Kraid. Now, if I showed someone unfamiliar with Metroid a size comparison of Ridley and Kraid, who would you expect them to chose as the most dangerous? Kraid, because look at him. Dude's the size of a two-story house. Pay attention, I'm going somewhere with this.

Metroid Prime, one of my first Metroid games (I got Prime and Fusion at the same time). Ridley-or Meta Ridley as he's known in the Prime Trilogy-is the penultimate boss. The last major fight before the eponymous Metroid Prime boss itself. But he's far from the biggest boss or even second biggest boss in Prime. The Omega Pirate, Thardus, and even Flaeggra (pretty sure I spelled that one wrong) are all bosses that I remember as much bigger than Ridley, and that's just off the top of my head.

Metroid Prime 3, since he wasn't in 2. Ridley actually changes size in this game, from Meta Ridley early on, to Omega Ridley much, much later in the game. If I remember correctly, he's either the penultimate boss, or the boss before the penultimate one. What's impressive here, and most conducive to the point I'm getting to is that Ridley actually shrinks in size. He was bigger in his Meta Ridley form from Norion than he was as Omega Ridley.

I think we're wrapping up here. Earlier in this post I talked about Ridley's size as thematically important. And then I went on about other bosses in comparison to him. What's interesting that, except for Metroid Prime, every boss I named was fought before Ridley. And that goes to the theme of the character. Ridley is one of the hardest boss fights, and most dangerous creatures in every game he's in. And he does it without sheer size. He does it by being strong, powerful, and vicious as all Norfair. Ridley is one of the single most dangerous things in each game (and the story of the series as a whole) despite being physically dwarfed by the likes of Kraid.

"Resizing" Ridley (some thing I find hilarious as an argument, dude shrunk over the course of one game) to make him playable size is not some great betrayal of the character. It is an affirmation of his design philosophy.

Great points. And another thing. No character is a copy of their canon self. If Smash worked that way, sonic would be impossible to even touch, Mewtwo could have just mindcrushed any opponent, and there would be no limit to flying characters. Instead, fast characters are just fast. Strong characters are strong. And large characters are large. So ridley should be big in comparison to most others, but he shouldn't be 3x bigger.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Will do. Have a manga excerpt as an apology.
That's alright. I'm sorry if I came across as rude. And that scene from the Metroid manga looks cute and heartbreaking. Sad that she tried to befriend the one who would eventually kill both her parents. By the way, thanks for showing us the commercial. :)

Edit: Yes, I know I should have replied earlier. I'm sorry for bringing this up now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom