• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
I think Omega Ridley gets overlooked a bit. I thought he looked sweet. If only his fight was harder.
I thought he was pretty annoying on Hypermode difficulty. Although I haven't played that for years.

Edit: The Valhalla area in that game had amazing atmosphere. Creepy as hell.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I think Omega Ridley gets overlooked a bit. I thought he looked sweet. If only his fight was harder.
One of my all-time favorite boss fights is the Meta Ridley fight in corruption. So much so that the only regret I have concerning passing up boss Ridley is that the Norion reactor will never be a stage.

SolarKirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolarKirby
So how do you all feel about Ridley having good air game but bad ground gameplay? I saw this on a couple of leaks (They're most likely fake), but I thought it was interesting how almost every leak that has Ridley says that. Examples would be Miahstorm, Rumor Mill QA Leaker and a 4chan leak ( I think?), so it could mean something.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman

i'd love to see a palette swap of Ridley so that he can look like omega Ridley
Edit: i was wrong this isnt Omega Ridley, my mistake

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
So how do you all feel about Ridley having good air game but bad ground gameplay? I saw this on a couple of leaks (They're most likely fake), but I thought it was interesting how almost every leak that has Ridley says that. Examples would be Miahstorm, Rumor Mill QA Leaker and a 4chan leak ( I think?), so it could mean something.
That's pretty much what we all agree on.

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
That is the general consensus here as well. The ying to little macs yang if you will.

edit: damn it :4greninja:'d.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
This. I feel pretty bad for Andrea sometimes. Like with the group photo a while back; it was evidently stressful and it looked like maybe she didn't really want to do it because of that, but people kept asking. Since art takes time and effort too, it's more of a luxury to get free fanart like this than something we're entitled to, and we shouldn't take Andrea's art for granted, nor should we refer to her as "our art slave", even if you were joking. I think Andrea's art is fantastic, but I'd never outright tell her (or likely even ask her) to draw something because I'd feel way too out of line doing so. It ain't my right to command someone to.
I'm so sorry if I made you feel this way, it's just that I suddently felt down and worthless, because I don't know why....maybe because I'm afraid of failing or that I'm not good enough, and the group pic was all my fault, I'm the one who accepted it and put all the weight of the world over my shoulders, I compromised to over 30 people...I just wouldn't feel good if I denied the request, and fail, and it is not even a quarter of what awaits me in the professional world....that is, if I ever reach it...and I'm even afraid of use the digital way of art...even if it someting I'm forced to learn.

Sorry about all this...I should get back to the drawing board.

002 (5).gif

SADLEY...

Last edited:

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
Or better yet
"Here is a trophy of Ridley, fans have been debating whether he'll be a boss or a playable fighter. We will answer that at at any second"
if that were to happen, the detractors will use that to counter our arguments of how sakurai dis confirms characters (meaning they'll think sakurai dis confirmed him when he showed the trophy).

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I've literally read every single page of this thread since a hundred pages before I joined, which I think means since... around page 850?
You deserve an award.

Also, thanks fo explaining that whole "gender-neutral man" thing to them. You did it a lot better than I ever could have.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Or better yet
"Here is a trophy of Ridley, fans have been debating whether he'll be a boss or a playable fighter. We will answer that at at any second"
Make that a year from now.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
Double Posting Warning Received
I personally have always thought Ridley would be an excellent playable character in the Smash Bros. series and he's one of my preferred fictional antagonists. However, I sometimes find people who so passionately advocate for him to sometimes be overwhelming. The same applies to those who so strictly do not want Ridley playable.

But is the desire for Ridley to appear in Smash a desire for the exterrestrial pirate himself, or in actuality a reflection of repressed love for the Metroid series as a whole?

What's the first thing you guys are gonna when Ridley gets confirmed.
Admittedly, I'd show it to an arrogant friend of mine who felt the likes of Lakitu and Rambi the Rhinoceros were better choices than Ridley. Then I'd just smile. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I personally have always thought Ridley would be an excellent playable character in the Smash Bros. series and he's one of my preferred fictional antagonists. However, I sometimes find people who so passionately advocate for him to sometimes be overwhelming. The same applies to those who so strictly do not want Ridley playable.

But is the desire for Ridley to appear in Smash a desire for the exterrestrial pirate himself, or in actuality a reflection of repressed love for the Metroid series as a whole?
I guess for me its a mixture of both. Ridley is one of my all time favorite villains, and Metroid is one of my favorite video game franchises out there.

I really do not like the representation of the franchise in the SSB series, in which we only have Samus and sexy Samus to play as. The fact that Ridley was a Dyna Blade clone in the SSE was adding insult to injury.

Morbi

Scavenger
Admittedly, I'd show it to an arrogant friend of mine who felt the likes of Lakitu and Rambi the Rhinoceros were better choices than Ridley. Then I'd just smile. :)
Honestly, as an adamant Ridley supporter... Rambi the Rhinoceros is a WAY better choice than Ridley.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I'm so sorry if I made you feel this way, it's just that I suddently felt down and worthless, because I don't know why....maybe because I'm afraid of failing or that I'm not good enough, and the group pic was all my fault, I'm the one who accepted it and put all the weight of the world over my shoulders, I compromised to over 30 people...I just wouldn't feel good if I denied the request, and fail, and it is not even a quarter of what awaits me in the professional world....that is, if I ever reach it...and I'm even afraid of use the digital way of art...even if it someting I'm forced to learn.

View attachment 20283
SADLEY...
Hey it's cool, don't push yourself to the point of being uncomfortable! Just do your best, Lord knows your arts already damn good...

Back on topic: if Ridley is announced ill dance. If Ridley is announced with k rool I'll dance while singing the lyrics to one of us at the top of my lungs.

Wise Multishine

Luminary
NNID
Omnireader
I guess for me its a mixture of both. Ridley is one of my all time favorite villains, and Metroid is one of my favorite video game franchises out there.

I really do not like the representation of the franchise in the SSB series, in which we only have Samus and sexy Samus to play as. The fact that Ridley was a Dyna Blade clone in the SSE was adding insult to injury.
"Sexy Samus"

Implying that powersuit Samus isn't sexy. :4samus:

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman

i'd love to see a palette swap of Ridley so that he can look like omega Ridley
This is his Meta form before being Omega. The first time I fought him I honestly thought they called him "Meta" Ridley by accident because he looked so organic. And I still don't see anything mechanic about him.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
This is his Meta form before being Omega. The first time I fought him I honestly thought they called him "Meta" Ridley by accident because he looked so organic. And I still don't see anything mechanic about him.
oh "searches for the REAL omega ridley but finds a concept art of him instead"

i wouldnt mind this as an alternate costume...something about those wings

Last edited:

I've barely played metroid so it is almost entirely space dragon based. . . That and to laugh at toobigots. Which also answers xeno's question. (If I survive the reveal based heart attack)
Edit: typing on mobile yay

Last edited:

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325

View attachment 20283
SADLEY...
Don't you ever feel that way, you hear? The group pic wasn't your fault, missed requests aren't your fault, none of it is your fault, Andrea. Don't be afraid of letting people down here, it isn't going to affect who we are or how we turn out. We're your friends, that's why we joined this thread. Sure we all may be different and have different personalities, but deep down we're all alike. Don't feel pressured to do any requests. It's your life and your drawing tool, use can use them how you want. Don't let yourself get put down, either. I've let myself been put down far beyond where I should have let it gone, and let me tell you, it isn't fun. But this isn't about me, it's about you. Now, I can't speak on behalf of everyone here, but every time you post a new drawing, I thoroughly enjoy it. They're probably my personal highlights of the thread, alongside all of the gifs and random ideas here. So thank you. Personally, i suggest you take awhile to calm down and just enjoy the thread. A temporary leave of absence from all of the requests, if you will. Stop and sniff the roses, as they say. <insert other semi-inspirational saying here>. Don't pressure yourself.

I know that wasn't worded well, because I am a horrible writer, but I'm trying to cheer you up. Somehow.

There was going to be more to this but I forgot it as I was writing the first part...

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
oh "searches for the REAL omega ridley but finds a concept art of him instead"

i wouldnt mind this as an alternate costume...something about those wings
Sigh, the concept art of Retro Studios is a million times better than what they ended up making in the games.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
And when he's deconfirmed?
I'd probably sigh in disappointment but quickly get over it because Rosalina and Robin are in the game. :)

At least Ridley would be here as a boss; a role he has fitted pretty well in the past. Perhaps his chances will be much greater for SSB5 (if they decide to make one in six years or so) after the release of a Metroid title for Wii U. After all, that's why people were talking about Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem, and Kid Icarus characters.

Top Bottom