• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

avgjoe

Smash Cadet
My first encounter with Ridley was playing fusion during holiday season 2002 (one of my first gba games). I was eight years old and man did that game scare the crap out of me. I remember encountering Ridley for the first time and just turning my game off. It took me awhile just to build up the courage to turn the game on and face him again. It was the same with that freakin’ fish boss in sector 4 and pretty much every sequence where you had to run from Sa-x. I love that game, started playing it again yesterday.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
How were you guys introduced to the gloriousness that is Ridley? Official Nintendo Magazine had a Brawl issue, and talked about the SSE with bosses like Rayquaza and Samus's nemesis Ridley. I was a stupid kid and thought Ridley would be some other person in a suit(I barely knew any gaming IPs either back then)Years later, I played Brawl through Subspace, and saw the cutscene with Ridley. "OH MY GOD WHO THE HELL IS THAT!?!?!?!? THAT DRAGON IS FRICKING AWESOME!" is what my reaction might have been, but less cursing, then I saw his name. "THAT'S Ridley?!?!?"And now, we are united!
It was 1998-1999, I was at a Toys R Us store where my parents took me there for my birthday. I wanted a game to play for myself, because back then all the games we had at home belonged to my older brother, and all I did was just watch him play. I remember looking at the SNES games section where I saw a Super Metroid cartridge for sale, and the first thing I noticed was this red dragon-like alien on the cover. I was crazy about dragons back then, so I knew that was the game I wanted to play.

Despite not getting very far into the game at first, I loved every minute of playing it, and the Ridley encounter is without a doubt my favorite (and most memorable) moment in the series. I actually got ecstatic when I found out that Ridley made a cameo appearance in SSB64, and that he was in the intro to Melee. I had no idea about Mother Brain's existence, as well as the other Pirates, so I assumed that he was main villain of the game since the beginning.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

Neither can I :troll:
Obviously the best course of action for Sakurai is to throw them off and troll them by confirming Ridley.
Think of all the butthurt! All the delicious, delicious tears. I know I wouldn't let such an opportunity go.

watch ridley get deconfirmed :(

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
Obviously the best course of action for Sakurai is to throw them off and troll them by confirming Ridley.
Think of all the butthurt! All the delicious, delicious tears. I know I wouldn't let such an opportunity go.

watch ridley get deconfirmed :(
"Picture of today - I decided to go for a BIG reveal this time, so after much waiting... here's Ridley. Also Isaac, King K. Rool and Mewtwo joining the battle!"

...as a boss, assist trophies and Poké Ball respectively.

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Don't get too cocky guys, or the fate of Brawly will fall on Shadowley. (oh the irony)

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
"Picture of today - I decided to go for a BIG reveal this time, so after much waiting... here's Ridley. Also Isaac, King K. Rool and Mewtwo joining the battle!"

TBH, I really don't see how K. Rool can be an AT. He would either be playable, or a boss if he's not a collectible trophy.

Then again, Mother Brain is an AT.

SpacePirate

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4441-9947-2377
Hello Ridley supporters I was a guest that viewed this thread for a while now.
So I made an account since this thread seems fun.

(I hope I'm welcomed because honestly I'm indifferent over Ridley)

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Hello Ridley supporters I was a guest that viewed this thread for a while now.
So I made an account since this thread seems fun.

(I hope I'm welcomed because honestly I'm indifferent over Ridley)
Welcome Space Pirate (That's honestly what we call new guests, what a coincidence). Don't drink the water.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
How were you guys introduced to the gloriousness that is Ridley? Official Nintendo Magazine had a Brawl issue, and talked about the SSE with bosses like Rayquaza and Samus's nemesis Ridley. I was a stupid kid and thought Ridley would be some other person in a suit(I barely knew any gaming IPs either back then)Years later, I played Brawl through Subspace, and saw the cutscene with Ridley. "OH MY GOD WHO THE HELL IS THAT!?!?!?!? THAT DRAGON IS FRICKING AWESOME!" is what my reaction might have been, but less cursing, then I saw his name. "THAT'S Ridley?!?!?"And now, we are united!
I was introduced to Ridley in Brawl, but it's only when I discover how much important he is in the Metroid franchise that he became one of my most wanted Super Smash Bros character.

Also, I don't always read all the post but I was asking myself: do it's possible the Roidley is an alternate costume for Ridley or vice-versa?

Last edited:

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
TBH, I really don't see how K. Rool can be an AT. He would either be playable, or a boss if he's not a collectible trophy.

Then again, Mother Brain is an AT.
I was kidding anyways. I doubt K. Rool would be anything other than playable. Well.. worst case scenario he also becomes a piñata, but I'd like to think he's pretty much a safe bet too. As there really is no reason NOT to have at least one DK newcomer this game (it could still be Dixie, but popularity wise K. Rool wins).

To shoot down my own previous post even more, there is pretty much no way ALL of them are deconfirmed. I'm not sure what else the roster would have if none of them are in. (Aside from like.. Shulk and Ghirahim, etc.)

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I was kidding anyways. I doubt K. Rool would be anything other than playable. Well.. worst case scenario he also becomes a piñata, but I'd like to think he's pretty much a safe bet too. As there really is no reason NOT to have at least one DK newcomer this game (it could still be Dixie, but popularity wise K. Rool wins).

To shoot down my own previous post even more, there is pretty much no way ALL of them are deconfirmed. I'm not sure what else the roster would have if none of them are in. (Aside from like.. Shulk and Ghirahim, etc.)
Oh, I'm not seriously suggesting that K. Rool should be a boss, it's just that I don't think he's AT material.

In fact, I think Ridley is better AT material than boss material, if he wasn't meant to be playable.

Last edited:

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
Oh, I'm not seriously suggesting that K. Rool should be a boss, it's just that I don't think he's AT material.

In fact, I think Ridley is better AT material than boss material, if he wasn't meant to be playable.
Misunderstandings all around then. I'd like to think that K. Rool and Ridley are playable, as they would feel kind of wasted in any other role. I suppose that goes for a number of other characters too but I feel like it's the case with these two especially.

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
So, it seems to be inevitable that we're getting Roidley in Smash (assuming that the big guy himself really is in) and though I don't mind his design I do have a slight preference towards regular Ridley. You guys think they would possibly make him an alternate costume? Or are we gonna get some new Ridley design that's kind of Frankensteining Roidley and Ridley into one?
(Of course, neither one happening is also an option)

Catydoll409

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Catydoll409
3DS FC
0130-1839-1312
So, it seems to be inevitable that we're getting Roidley in Smash (assuming that the big guy himself really is in) and though I don't mind his design I do have a slight preference towards regular Ridley. You guys think they would possibly make him an alternate costume? Or are we gonna get some new Ridley design that's kind of Frankensteining Roidley and Ridley into one?
I myself am also a bit biased towards the original design as well; though a hybrid of the two designs sounds oddly intriguing.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Where did all of the faith in our purple overlord go? Just because Dark Pit was teased (in a completely different way mind you) and is most likely a boss doesn't mean Ridley will share the same fate. Just remember Sakurai's subtle hints and all of the fan service being implemented this time around. We're good guys.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord

WWIII confirmed for smash. Mashpotato Samurai VS The World confirmed. HL3 canceled. The Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse stride into battle!

All I can imagine is Roidley getting palette swaps of his previous incarnations. A real Ridley alt is impossible due to differences in physique.

EDIT
Where did all of the faith in our purple overlord go? Just because Dark Pit was teased (in a completely different way mind you) and is most likely a boss doesn't mean Ridley will share the same fate. Just remember Sakurai's subtle hints and all of the fan service being implemented this time around. We're good guys.
Less of a tease, and more of an oversight on the trailer maker dudes part. That's obviously a debug thing right there, it's in all probability not supposed to be shown.

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Guys Ridley isnt really a character though hes just a boss!! He HAS NO CHARACTER dont bring up gameandwatch or rob on me they were Classic nintendo things so they have acception they also had some character. and people who compare ridley to bowser are ****ing stupid! * ha sorry* his wings dude theyre way too big its more about and his body shape is really flimsy it just doesnt fit. sakarai can still possible change him but i really doubt it.
Dem Youtube comments though......XD

Please kill me

Kevinhend

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kevinhend
3DS FC
1504-5780-8640
I personally don't think Dark Pit affects Lord Ridley's chances in any way. The only thing relating to Dark Pit that has gotten me worried is the amount of people that seem to think he should be his own character like Lucina. And then there's the whole Daisy thing...

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Well, assuming Little Mac get two alternate costumes and that he was highly requested (like Ridley) why not getting the three?

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Dude he basically isnt, hes just some boss thats it, if he had some dialogue or whatever then i could really see him as a character (maybe) and no dude hes too biiig as in his body is too weird(ugly) it would be a turn off with him in the game it just wouldn't fit. agggghh whatever hes not going to be a playable character anyway so yeahh. E3 hurry up and prove all these ppl wrong! ha.
XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

That's it you guys. Ridley has no dialogue. It's over. XDD

Last edited:

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
No he's just jealous of Ridleys body
Well, let us be honest here. Hate on Roidley's design all you want, he is getting all the purple ladies with those big, rolling muscles of his.

this is tempting me to take my drawing tablet out again

Last edited:
Top Bottom