• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Rescue for PAL-smashers - Freeloader for Wii! *Bad news folks*

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Just thought I'd share this with you all.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=150846

Thats a guy who opened up his Wii and cleaned the laser himself. If your Wii doesn't play brawl then this and/or canned air is the only real solution. (I've heard of laser cleanings discs being used, but as the wii can't play normal cds/dvds then it's not gonna be that effective.)

I've ordered a Wii screwdriver off of ebay just in case, It only costs 3 quid including postage and I'd prefer to use the right equipment.

It's weird. I've read about people who keep there launch Wiis in dusty smoke filled basements and have it work fine while i've heard of people who bought machines in the last 3/4 months and now need to send them off.

As a smoker it's got me really paranoid. I wish they'd put "may **** up your Wii" on cigarette packets instead.

Influenssa

Smash Cadet
For those who wonder why the tracking numbers don't work:

"Delivery tracking is not currently available but once the order status has been updated to dispatched you can expect delivery within 1-3 days."

They say that on the Codejunkies FAQ. http://uk.codejunkies.com/faq.aspx
Don't know why there is a tracking number at all or that FAQ might be outdated.

I ordered my Wii Freeloader last thursday and it was shipped Friday. I live in Finland so it might take awhile before I'll get it, if at all. That's quite odd cause a pal of mine ordered one days before I did, but his orders still unshipped. I sent them email on friday and still haven't got any response. Now it seems that the contact us form doesn't work at all. I really can't recommend anyone to order anything from Codejunkies.

I ordered my copy of US Brawl on thursday from play-asia and the order is processing and should be shipped tomorrow at the latest. I'm just worried that it won't work because of the update coming with the Brawl. It won't propably work without the update and the update might brick my Wii. Also I've had my Wii from the launch so I might get those reading problems cause of dusty lens.

Any info about Wiiloader and US Brawl working would be apprecited when someone gets them.

Edit. Yes! My Brawl order status changed to shipped. I just might get it on friday if I'm lucky.

chrisking570

Smash Journeyman
rite, if im right about the customs cost, it should only cost me like £6. i bought brawl for £30 including p&p and i think it's like 20% of that, which i have to pay when it gets here. I think thats ok.

EDIT: thought you should see this. from BMC

Dear chrisking570,

The following item has been despatched. You should receive it shortly.

Item title: NEW DATEL FREELOADER MAKES NINTENDO Wii REGION FREE UK
Web Address: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370028032950
Item number: 370028032950

Total: £15.90

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
For those who wonder why the tracking numbers don't work:

"Delivery tracking is not currently available but once the order status has been updated to dispatched you can expect delivery within 1-3 days."

They say that on the Codejunkies FAQ. http://uk.codejunkies.com/faq.aspx
Don't know why there is a tracking number at all or that FAQ might be outdated.
Thanks for the Info.

Btw has ANYONE heard from any website that someone has got the freeloader?

Ganon875

Smash Cadet
I've ordered my brawl on thursday from play-asia too, and it's shipped!!!!
I didn't get a mail though, but I'm happy nevertheless...

chrisking570

Smash Journeyman
so, i should have my copy of brawl + my freeloader, and my mates freeloader either tomorrow, or wednesday. getting excited now

EDIT: again, just thought you should all see.
i asked 365games if they have tested tested the freeloader with brawl and they replied with;
I can also confirm that this item has been tested and it does work.

Ganon875

Smash Cadet
so, i should have my copy of brawl + my freeloader, and my mates freeloader either tomorrow, or wednesday. getting excited now

i asked 365games if they have tested tested the freeloader with brawl and they replied with;
It makes me happy to see this. :)

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Influenssa

Smash Cadet
That's the best news for a while! If it really works with Freeloader, then my Wii's laser lens must be too dusty to read Brawl. That would be so typical.

chrisking570

Smash Journeyman
wow, glad i bring good news :)

looks like zer is nothing to fear but ze dust zat can attack our lenses

EDIT: just realised i wrote tested twice... i don't even know how dumb look me.

Urser

Smash Apprentice
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I might go ahead and order Brawl and a Free Loader tomorrow. Do 365games.com ship to Australia?

chrisking570

Smash Journeyman
This is for sale on ebay with smash+freeloader

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370030116713

This guy has more than 100.000 positive feedback, so i think he is pretty reliable :)

I wrote him if he has tested it and this is his reply:

"Hi,

Thank you for your email.
I can confirm that this item has been tested and it does work :-).

Many thanks"
lol, not very good at advertising is he?

he has it listed as £44.99 with delivery of £6.99, but further down the listing it has
'RRP: 39.99 - save with xbite' yeah.... save -£10 (thats minus £10 not £10)

EDIT: and thats good to know too, thanks 4 adding to my happy face :)+:)=:bee:

EDIT 2: i do actually realise that he hasnt got the freeloader price included in that RRP

AerionTOFAST4U

Smash Apprentice
Yeah woho!! ....oh god -_- now there's of course another problem...the stupid wii lens THING:mad:

I'm worried it might not work..is there any game I could use for testing or something? if it works?

Cause the wii was on a room with a smoker for some time but he mostly smoked with the windows open...AAAAHHH!! :(

And on my room..i have the windows open fairly often...and the wii is now placed safely next to my xbox360 on this tv....table..thingie

Oh well..guess there's not much to do apart from hoping for the best :D

Ganon875

Smash Cadet
If you've played a lot of different games while your Wii doesn't make a lot of noise and the loading times are not too long, you should be fine. If your Wii sometimes has trouble reading discs, you might get into trouble with loading SSBB

AerionTOFAST4U

Smash Apprentice
If you've played a lot of different games while your Wii doesn't make a lot of noise and the loading times are not too long, you should be fine. If your Wii sometimes has trouble reading discs, you might get into trouble with loading SSBB

I remember ONCE it had a problem reading windwaker :S

But that was borrowed from a friend tho' and..I dont think he threated that game too good =/

man.....I just wanna be secure -_- this just bugs me like a bug coming out of my *******:mad:

DVD Smith

Smash Journeyman
Just canelled my order from Codejunkies, since I went into my local independent games shop today and they said they would be getting (and selling) Wii Freeloaders tomorrow or Wednesday, so hopefully I'll be able to get Freeloader tomorrow without having to pay £5 of postage.

Meanwhile my copy of Brawl is sitting here and taunting me - I'm finding it hard to look away...

leeray666

Smash Cadet
How did you go about cancelling an order with codejunkies? there doesn't appear to be a cancel order option.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I can't think of a time when my Wii has problems reading discs (unless they've been REALLY damaged.)

The fact that it works is definitely good news. I can only pray to Din, Farore and Nayru that my Wii will play brawl come wednesday/thursday.

chrisking570

Smash Journeyman
nice referencing there jellybelly. Yeah, i never had any trouble reading discs, it's always really quick to load them for me, but my wii makes noises a lot. like on character select (DBZBT2) it squeeks every so often :/

DVD Smith

Smash Journeyman
How did you go about cancelling an order with codejunkies? there doesn't appear to be a cancel order option.
There's a 'return order' button, which I used. All it asked for was my name, my email address and a reason why I was 'returning' the item. After I had gone through with the order, it still showed up in my order history but the option to return it wasn't available anymore. All I need now is confirmation of the cancellation.

MrSilver

BRoomer
BRoomer
The reason these lens problems haven't happened with other games is because Brawl is the first game that's on a Dual Layer disk. Single layer disks are easier to read and as such don't get hindered much by a little dust.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
The reason these lens problems haven't happened with other games is because Brawl is the first game that's on a Dual Layer disk. Single layer disks are easier to read and as such don't get hindered much by a little dust.
Precisely

Thats why I'm worried, there is literally no way to tell if my Wii will play a dual layered disc because this is the first ever one.

I've never had disc reading problems but that could mean diddly squat in the grand scheme of things.

I may e-mail Nintendo in regards to sending Wiis to a english location to be cleaned. I doubt they even have an action plan for it yet.

MrSilver

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure they have the ability to clean Wii's in Europe, after all they have fully function tech support departments over here. I also doubt there's gonna be a lot of Europeans with this problem since there probably won't be a lot of Europeans importing (relative to the size of the marker). So from a practical point of view there's nothing stopping Nintendo from fixing such issues for Europeans.

If they'll actually do it is another question since they don't exactly endorse import gaming. It might be they'll only do it for free if your Wii still has warranty or maybe they won't do it for free at all and will charge us the normal fees for technical problems outside of the warranty.

Whatever the case, if your Wii can't read Brawl I'd suggest at least giving Nintendo a call to see what your options are. Before you dig into your Wii with a screwdriver and a prayer that you won't break anything.

chrisking570

Smash Journeyman
Great news everyone! your going to deliver..... (anyone get the reference?)

anyway, the great news. i emailed 365games a second time from an alternate email address asking if they themselves had tested it. here is the reply i got;

'Hi,

Yes we have tested the game ourselves and it works. The freeloader we have is for PAL consoles and does allow them to play the USA version of SSBB. Please note that these are both selling very fast today and we expect to sell out soon.

Regards
www.365games.co.uk'

Makes me wanna dance

Kriegsseele

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I got an answer too. This was my question:
"Hello there, I'm from Germany, and I'm owning a PAL / German Wii console. Myquestion now is if I can use the Freeloader + the NTSC SSBB without anyissues, and if I'm able to play online without issues as well. I heard itcan crash your Wii if you get updates? Please answer, since I really wannaknow. Thanks in advance, yours sincerely, Atsu"

And thats the reply I got today~
"Hi, Thank you for your email. Please be assured the Freeloader will be compatible with your PAL console. The wii freeloader plays the basic game file and that's it, basically. Itignores all update data that is on the foreign game disk that you are tryingto play. It'll basically run the Wii Firmware that is currently on your Wiiconsole. "

Sounds good, doesn't it? o.o
So I think I should order mine...

kereo

Smash Cadet
Great news everyone! your going to deliver..... (anyone get the reference?)

anyway, the great news. i emailed 365games a second time from an alternate email address asking if they themselves had tested it. here is the reply i got;

'Hi,

Yes we have tested the game ourselves and it works. The freeloader we have is for PAL consoles and does allow them to play the USA version of SSBB. Please note that these are both selling very fast today and we expect to sell out soon.

Regards
www.365games.co.uk'

Makes me wanna dance
Hmm, sounds like I should just chance it and order 2 =\

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Brawl just came =[
No freeloader. Uh.

I'mma be reading the manual until tomorrow xD

DVD Smith

Smash Journeyman
I imagine online will work fine:

From ShortFuse's online FAQ thread:
* This is how it works. Nintendo does not host their own servers. They use GameSpy/IGN servers. The Wii connects to the Gamespy server(s). The server responds with you the IP of the person(s) you want to play. After that, the game creates a DIRECT connection to your opponent(s) by means of random Outgoing UDP connections. There is no proxying from the Gamespy servers. If there's lag, that is the latency between you and your opponent(s). It has nothing to do with Gamespy (or Nintendo) servers.
So since Nintendo don't have their own servers, region hacking shouldn't affect online play since it's all done through Gamespy.

Xtreme Starfox

Smash Ace
I imagine online will work fine:

From ShortFuse's online FAQ thread:

So since Nintendo don't have their own servers, region hacking shouldn't affect online play since it's all done through Gamespy.
......O.o Gamespy? When did Nintendo ever admit that?

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Well, guess the only thing we have to worry about is the lens.
Picked up a can of air today though xP

I should be OK. Should be all ready to Brawl tomorrow =D

Top Bottom