• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The reasons you've stuck with Melee.

Geist

Smash Master
Obviously, Melee is the superior game.
They took so much time taking things OUT of Brawl just to make it more watered down. How do some people seriously consider it more competitive (or competitive at all)?

FYASKO

Smash Apprentice
lol I don't have a wii either
*internet highfive*
*dances*
im so pisssed stiill..
i've been saying brawl wont be competitive since HOW LONG MAN?
>_>
and when EVERYTHING i said ended up being true,
NNOOOO ONE
admits im right >_>
or apologizes for doubting my greatness.
>=[
EVERYTHING I SAID WAS RIGHT.
EVERYTHING.
BUAHAHAHA.

Geist

Smash Master
That's because you sounded like you just didn't want it for the sake of change. lol it was like 3 months before the first video was released and you were like
NO THIS IS GHEY
If you said you talked to Sakurai himself and said that he WANTED to make it garbage, then yeah.

Maybe you got some bad Brawl vibes from the future or something

I havn't liked the Wii ever since they edcided to call it that.
What was wrong with the Revolution? =[

Corigames

Smash Hero
im so pisssed stiill..
i've been saying brawl wont be competitive since HOW LONG MAN?
>_>
and when EVERYTHING i said ended up being true,
NNOOOO ONE
admits im right >_>
or apologizes for doubting my greatness.
>=[
EVERYTHING I SAID WAS RIGHT.
EVERYTHING.
BUAHAHAHA.
I started calling it when I went to GDC in February and Samus sucked and everything was horrible about the game.

3 cheers for Brawl prophets of doom?

godofrock72

Smash Cadet
I play both Melee and Brawl because Melee and Brawl are two separate games. People who play/have played an MMORPG called RuneScape might understand (I quit just after the 2008 Halowe'en event). Why do people stick with RuneScape Classic or play both RSC and RS2? Because they still like it! Melee is a great game, no doubt about it. Brawl is better, but Melee is also a good game. Plus, some people may not have beaten Melee yet (I did, but then the data got corrupted on my Memory Card). I like the stages on Melee better than the ones on Brawl, but that's probably just because those are the ones I'm used to.

I do like Brawl better than Melee overall, but that doesn't mean Melee isn't a good game, and that's why I still play it!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You just said that Brawl is better in the Melee boards. Please prepare a flame shield.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
I play both Melee and Brawl because Melee and Brawl are two separate games. People who play/have played an MMORPG called RuneScape might understand (I quit just after the 2008 Halowe'en event). Why do people stick with RuneScape Classic or play both RSC and RS2? Because they still like it! Melee is a great game, no doubt about it. Brawl is better, but Melee is also a good game. Plus, some people may not have beaten Melee yet (I did, but then the data got corrupted on my Memory Card). I like the stages on Melee better than the ones on Brawl, but that's probably just because those are the ones I'm used to.

I do like Brawl better than Melee overall, but that doesn't mean Melee isn't a good game, and that's why I still play it!
please, enlighten me. why do you think brawl is better??? is it the slowed down controls that make it possible for a 14-year-old kid to beat the guy who had been best smash player in the world some 10 years running? is it the characters that are easier to spam with in the new physics system? is it the dumbing down of the game by making grabs do 3 damage and let you DI away immediately no matter what? or maybe it's that since it's more floaty it's easier to survive hits and that makes it more user-friendly and less condusive to edgeguarding and combos?

I've asked hundreds of people and never really got a straight answer. WHY IN THE WORLD DO YOU LIKE BRAWL MORE THAN MELEE?!?

unwelc0med

Smash Journeyman
i don't even know why i left.
the other day my friends came over, insisted on playing brawl, i popped it in, and realized how much short hops SUCK.
i convinced them to play 6-7 matches of melee, but one of them didn't like it because he always got 3rd out 3.
the other friend had the game but got bored...

this is not to say i don't enjoy brawl, i just enjoy melee more.
i'm not a melee purist, playing only melee.

it's like 70% melee 30% brawl, while before it was the opposite.
i relearned how to shl, l-cancel, wavedash, every basic had to be relearned... so yeah.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
I stuck with melee because, frankly brawl is not as fun. Melee feels much more cohesive, and the movement is much less awkward. When I play brawl, I feel like I am stumbling around with my character, with less options to move around with. When I play Melee, it feels like more like I am running around like a jack rabbit on coke (I main fox), and it is d*mn fun to do that.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i stuck with melee because i little cousin is 9 and he can chain grab my balls
(no pedo)

Corigames

Smash Hero
Calm Response to New Person

I play both Melee and Brawl because Melee and Brawl are two separate games.
Exactly. And because they are two different games, I can like one and hate the other. Meanwhile, you can like both. I like depth, advancement, competition, speed, and excitement. You... whatever does it for you :/

People who play/have played an MMORPG called RuneScape might understand (I quit just after the 2008 Halowe'en event). Why do people stick with RuneScape Classic or play both RSC and RS2? Because they still like it!
I use to be very into Gunbound. When they came out with new "Season Two" stuff, they Brawl-ified it. They added any more random elements and made it much more accessible to new people. However, they also overpowered paying players, so I quit. I wold much rather play older gunbound, because it catered to me. However, unlike with Melee, that option isn't open to me.

Melee is a great game, no doubt about it. Brawl is better, but Melee is also a good game.
You may have a difficult time giving detailed reasons as to why aside from artistic ones. I believe it's general consensus that Melee's gameplay is more suited for competitive play, any other aspect I wold agree that Brawl is superior in, but the one that most of us care about is simply not true.

I like the stages on Melee better than the ones on Brawl, but that's probably just because those are the ones I'm used to.
Perhaps you like them more because they were designed to be fun places to fight other players on instead of fighting the stages as is in the case of Brawl. In Brawl, you are constantly in toil with the stage itself, whether it's constantly transforming, putting out obstacles, or just straight up attacking you. Many Melee stages aren't like that, and they are a lot more "fun" to play when you are fighting "for real."

You just said that Brawl is better in the Melee boards. Please prepare a flame shield.
It's too expected. I don't think people cares as much anymore, but at the same time it still irks me and other people to see a new face come in and try to say what's what without backing it up.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
YAY i forgot all about coreygames and his entertaining arguments.
where've you been all my life? LMAO

Corigames

Smash Hero
YAY i forgot all about coreygames and his entertaining arguments.
where've you been all my life? LMAO
As far away from the Brawl boards after getting banned twice from SWF for going there. I figure that if I'm going to get in a fight with every poser and scrub and win, but still get banned and have a whole other flock to deal with when I come back... it's not worth it. So, my posting has been almost limited to the Melee Samus boards now which keeps me as a positive member of this site instead of a major downer.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
lmao haha
well maybe i should hit up the melee samus boards once in a while
sucks you're not owning all the scrubs anymore. that was fun.
i used to have your back during the great smash civil war around brawl's release. LOL

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
lol ok. it prolly won't be as aggressive but maybe still entertaining.

3k ur crazy.
the account i had during that time was just "Lumpy.."

but i got banned for spamming, ":mario2::wolf:s:peach:'s:snake:all:dedede:" in the brawl boards haha

FYASKO

Smash Apprentice
mario, wolfs peaches snake all dedede
hmmm
nope i dont get it.

FYASKO

Smash Apprentice
Exactly. And because they are two different games, I can like one and hate the other. Meanwhile, you can like both. I like depth, advancement, competition, speed, and excitement. You... whatever does it for you :/

I use to be very into Gunbound. When they came out with new "Season Two" stuff, they Brawl-ified it. They added any more random elements and made it much more accessible to new people. However, they also overpowered paying players, so I quit. I wold much rather play older gunbound, because it catered to me. However, unlike with Melee, that option isn't open to me.

You may have a difficult time giving detailed reasons as to why aside from artistic ones. I believe it's general consensus that Melee's gameplay is more suited for competitive play, any other aspect I wold agree that Brawl is superior in, but the one that most of us care about is simply not true.

Perhaps you like them more because they were designed to be fun places to fight other players on instead of fighting the stages as is in the case of Brawl. In Brawl, you are constantly in toil with the stage itself, whether it's constantly transforming, putting out obstacles, or just straight up attacking you. Many Melee stages aren't like that, and they are a lot more "fun" to play when you are fighting "for real."

It's too expected. I don't think people cares as much anymore, but at the same time it still irks me and other people to see a new face come in and try to say what's what without backing it up.
**** yeah brawl prophets of doom.
NEW GUY GET RAEPD.
lol i wish every brawl player would just give up on trying to make brawl sound like a better game T.T

Korajen2N

Smash Rookie
My reasons for sticking with Melee

I was one of those (I'm sure there are many) that feel like they started to really get decent and able to play not necessarily impecably, but play well enough to at least be able to hold their own in the competitive sene towards the very end of the Melee cycle. After Brawl came out I found a crew of Melee smashers and didn't feel like I've reached my pinacle with Melee. The first time I played Brawl like many others I was absolutley disgusted than after some time gave it a chance and had some fun with it but am still sticking with Melee.
This is mainly because of what I stated before about not reaching my pinacle with the game, lights with DI, combos, mindgames are still going off for me. Others have stated as well and I couldn't agree more that even when playing Brawl the game felt clunky and sloppy even when they adjusted to the engine of the game, it always felt like a step backwards, not entirely because of AT's being removed but just the game overall the mindset of the game seems very shallow undeveloped, chancy, and seems to lack a real control factor which for all of us Melee loyals we all know the amazing feeling of when yuo're in the zone entirely and feel as though yuo can't be touched because you're entirely in control of the match. IMO Melee's physics and engine will always allow players to find new strategies to improve the game and evolve, not to say Brawl may not have those aspects but Melee seems to be classic and a game on it's own, seems to me once peopel get into the ideas of advanced metagame it becomes apparent Melee is the one to play.

FalcoDude57

Smash Rookie
I have both melee and brawl. I like brawl better because it is more fun for me. In melee it was pretty hard for me because over 99% of people were better than me. In brawl i know it was kind of dumbed down and made easier but that was perfect for me. Overall i like brawl better but melee is also good.

Top Bottom