• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The reason that Smash is around

sliceblader

Smash Cadet
About 3 weeks ago i found out what smash is really for.... Advertisement. After just thinking about brawl and looking at the characters i found my self playing Earthbound again and going out to buy Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, and Mother 3. Anyone else fall into Nintendo's trap?

B J

Smash Cadet
well, of course it had some advertisement purposes, as all these nintendo characters/stages/items etc are in it.

Downfall

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo's trap with brawl is to make us buy and play a launch GCN title, a GCN series, and a game we can't even understand if we don't know Japanese? Somehow I doubt it.
Advertising DURR HURR.

I can see them coming out with a new Kid Icarus game this year. Or atleast announcing their plans.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
Meh, if you want to take THAT argument, you could say that every sequal is really just advertising for the prequal. After all, who would care for the first Zelda nowadays if it didn't have such a great series? Etc...

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
I've purchased a lot of games after being introduced to them via Smash Bros. Just the other day I bought Pikmin. However, I don't think that was Mr. Sakurai's main goal while developing the game.

S0crat3s

Smash Apprentice
My Troll-radar is rumbling...

I really don't see what's so bad about it, since most of those games have come out, already...In fact, I replayed most of my old Kirby, Pikmin, Earthbound, Metroid, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Mario, and Fire Emblem games so I know more about the characters I'll be playing as in Brawl...

If anything, Smash is the ultimate in fanservice...They give us anything a Nintendo nerd could want, and then some, and absolutely every inch of this game oozes of Nintendo's rich history and nostalgia (and they even have some current-gen things like Lucario, Olimar, and Ike for those just getting into the Nintendo scene)...

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i did. smash bought me mother 3, earthbound, super metroid, metroid zero mission, fire emblem, and indirectly final fantasy tactics advance.

i'm pretty excited.

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
Caught me too.. But that was since ssb64... Downloaded R0mZ

timbers92

Smash Apprentice
I always thought smash was still around because it was and is crazy awesome. I guess I fell for the trap.

TomatoGod

Smash Rookie
I wouldnt call it advertisment, because if that was all it was for it wouldnt be as awesome as it is, because if youve ever played a game made to advertise, oh say, a tv show or movie, they all suck.

However, i have to adnmit, i havent even played brawl yet, but went, got, and beat kid icarus.

Its also true that smash bros was definitely a huge boost for Samus' popularity which lead to the metroid prime series.

With any luck, the advertising properties of smash bros will just lead to the realease of some brand new Mother, F-Zero, etc. games.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Roy in Melee=Advertisement for Fire Emblem 6(was it the sixth one? Correct me if i'm wrong) in Japan

Marth and Roy=Gave way for Fire Emblem to become International

And now in Brawl

Rumor has it that Factor 5(the makers of Lair for Ps3 and Rouge Squadron for the N64 and GameCube) is going to revive Kid Icarus series

Miyamoto said that he wants to do a new Star Fox for the Wii. New designs of Wolf,Falco and Fox
and the LandMasters mean any thing to you?

New Varia suit Upgrades and a ship similar to Sylux Delano 7 at the end of Metroid Prime 3. Means a new Metroid game?

Hmm Maybe a new F-Zero game is coming to the Wii, hints point to Captain Falcon and Samurai Guroh.

So Smash Bros is not only a Fun game it's also the mega hinter of future games :laugh:

Edit: Adding a few more games

Fire Emblem DS: Marth is back and in a fashion similar to Brawl.
Mario Kart Wii: R.O.B may come back to the Nintendo Racing game and rev up the tracks :laugh:

goodkid

Smash Lord
No, the goal was to create an amazing game, and then make money as a result of the game and the characters.

Dragor

Smash Rookie
On a mountain somewhere in California overlooking
In my opinion, I don't think Smash Bros. is advertisement for Nintendo games, but it has introduced gamers to Nintendo franchises that they never heard of or played before.

If it wasn't for Smash Bros, I probably wouldn't have been introduced to the Metroid and Kirby franchises.

naevorc

Smash Apprentice
About 3 weeks ago i found out what smash is really for.... Advertisement. After just thinking about brawl and looking at the characters i found my self playing Earthbound again and going out to buy Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, and Mother 3. Anyone else fall into Nintendo's trap?
moar dots.

....therefore Capcom vs SNK is also advertisement. Did you even read how Sakurai came to create smash bros. This doesn't need a question mark, the answer is you didn't.

Metaknight15470

Smash Rookie
Well.... maybe, since it's such an awesome game, ppl think the chars in there r from awesome games, so they try them and like them

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
That's part of it, but the other part is that the crossover appeals to people.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Actually the Original goal was to make a Polygon Fighter. Then Iwata and Sakurai asked Nintendo if they could use the most Iconic characters.
And that is probably one of the best decisions they could have done. It's just a part of the whole appeal when the game originally came out even before any of the other parts of the appeal came into existance.

Ekul

Smash Journeyman
Smash Bros introduced me to many new games. Call it what you want, advertisement, trap, whatever. Whatever it is, it got me some fun games, and that's all I care about. When Smash 64 came out, I bought it because of Pikachu and Link. The first video game I ever owned (That is to say, the first video game that wasn't my brother's) was Pokemon Yellow. I would never had played Metroid, Star Fox, Kirby... and later Game and Watch.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I think it is for advertisements in a way. When melee came out. People were like who the hell is marth. Then they got to know fire emblem. And now it's a hit. I just wish sakurai give more series representation. And they need chars like geno, ridley and krystal.

Darkslash

Smash Master
I think it is for advertisements in a way. When melee came out. People were like who the hell is marth. Then they got to know fire emblem. And now it's a hit. I just wish sakurai give more series representation. And they need chars like geno, ridley and krystal.
Geno-Seeing there is no foreseeable sequel to SMRPG:LotSS and the only Mario RPG series out there are Paper Mario and Mario&Luigi.

Ridley-He's in Brawl in all his Boss Glory. Making him a shrunk playable character kinda ruins his evil nature. A more Logical choice would be Dark Samus. She's more stronger and she has a Phazon repeating blaster. How cool is that?

Krystal-Until she becomes more useful and less being chased,less being missed,less crying,less *****ing she is now. I don't see her going into smash very soon.

illphil

Smash Apprentice
Smash is around because it's a classic and it's an awesome game. Please shut up about SSB being insignificant

WaffleGuyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Geno-Seeing there is no foreseeable sequel to SMRPG:LotSS and the only Mario RPG series out there are Paper Mario and Mario&Luigi.

Ridley-He's in Brawl in all his Boss Glory. Making him a shrunk playable character kinda ruins his evil nature. A more Logical choice would be Dark Samus. She's more stronger and she has a Phazon repeating blaster. How cool is that?

Krystal-Until she becomes more useful and less being chased,less being missed,less crying,less *****ing she is now. I don't see her going into smash very soon.
Well, Geno could've still been in. Just because he might not be in any new games shouldn't matter. I mean, the Mother series ended (Itoi said he didn't want to work on it anymore. And no Itoi = no Mother.) but Lucas and Ness are in. Also, both of them were only in one game.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I agree, that's definitely part of it, but not all of it. The game was originally just a bunch of fighting humanoid figures without features, according to Sakurai.

But I wouldn't say I "fell into their trap." The only series I have really gotten into because of Smash Bros is Fire Emblem, and I have enjoyed every North American FE release thus far.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Well i got Metroid. I heard of it way before Smash Bros 64. But I only started getting full interest when I got Metroid Prime Hunters/Corruption.

I had Super Mario bros on my NES

played Star Fox on the SNES, played SF64 and have Star Fox Command(zomg i finished all 9 endings, unlocked all maps)

Has Donkey Kong on by GB(haha at least 149 bucks)

Played All Smash Bros except for brawl(duh :psycho:)

Never heard of EarthBound or Mother until Brawl(well even though Ness was in 64 i never found interest in him)

Well i heard of half the series in Brawl and now I'm Finding new ones. I never got around on getting Kirby, Maybe i'll buy squeak Squad ha ha

DragoonXD

Smash Cadet
NNID
DragoonXD
I agree with what people are say ^^ SSB definately (Roy and Marth) inspired to try Fire Emblem, and it's one of my favorite series now. Actually, I think the only series I'd played before the orignal Smash Bros. were Mario, Legend of Zelda, Kirby, and Pokemon.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I'm sure that it got a lot more people to play Fire Emblem. I didn't play FE until my friend told me how it was, and now it is my favorite Nintendo franchise. RPGsFTW!

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
it is fan service for money. It's closer to prostitution than advertisement :)

cmon guys you aren't here unless you love it.

in fact if I was going to be a conspiracy theorist I wouldn't say that smash bros exists to make you buy the other series, but that they sell smash bros to people who love the other series and they just buy it because they love the other games.

but we all know that isn't true because smash rocks.

BELIEVE IT!

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
The only part of smash that was advertisement was Roy. He was added merely to hype up his introduction in an upcoming Japanese-only release. He was kept in for the worldwide because there was no point in removing him, and people liked the way he played. In brawl one could make an argument about the masterpieces, but that's about it. Other than that it is all incidental and not planned by Sakurai to have an advertisement effect.

Top Bottom