• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I'd see it less as "Japan VS The West", and more:

Takamaru - Japanese rep
Little Mac - "AMERICAAAA, **** YEEEEAH!!!!"
Layton - British rep

Japan, America, and Britain are probably the three most popular settings for fictional material. So having those three in the game would be great.

Mario VS Sonic VS Mega Man - Battle of the Gaming Kings
Takamaru VS Little Mac VS Layton - Battle of the Cultures
As much as it seems that Takamaru is the Japanese equivalent of Little Mac in terms of popularity, that would actually be Roy! Roy is HUGE in Japan, and is second only to Mewtwo, and not even by that much! Many Japanese fans would be perfectly fine with the Brawl roster plus Roy and Mewtwo! So Roy better represent Japan if we are talking about popularity.

Though if you are talking about physical appearances, it would indeed be Mac vs. Layton vs. Takamaru. This would be friggin' awesome! Battle of the countries!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So yeah, Layton for Smash for the win. Please add me to the Supporters List.
Sure, welcome on board Mega Bidoof. ^^
I like the idea about the Layton Universe however! That would explain all the Robots-but-no-London-eye-thing....
Either that or the London-Eye was demolished at some point in the future for some reason, it would also explain Layton's meet up with Phoenix as his games take place a bit further down into the future.... Assuming the crossover is canon of course...

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
man, I hope layton gets included. If there's a new third party I would rather have Layton over anyone (other than quote).

he should be next up on the priority list. however, this game seems like his last chance.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It does seem like this game is his first and last chance, depends what Level-5 decides to do with this series. If they decide to create one more trilogy after the originals involving Layton as the main character again, I'd say he may still have a shot after Smash 4. Assuming recency is really that much of a big deal for everyone. (Then again, there are plenty of other characters people support who haven't shown up in any games in years)

I do hope they make at least one last sequel trilogy with Layton as the main character again, there are just so many hints pointing towards it that it would just feel like a huge cliffhanger or hole within the storylines or something.... :/

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I haven't actually played a Layton game. I plan on getting the Phoenix Wright crossover, since I'm such a big fan of that series, and if the Layton half is good enough for my liking, I might try the other Layton games.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I don't play the games either, but I knew Layton since 2009, and I think he needs to be in this game now with the amount of connection he has with Nintendo. He makes way too much sense, and personally I would be surprised if he wasn't in.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I haven't actually played a Layton game. I plan on getting the Phoenix Wright crossover, since I'm such a big fan of that series, and if the Layton half is good enough for my liking, I might try the other Layton games.
Oh alrighty, well if you do decide to give the series a go, I'll wish you a lot of fun then. ^_^

It's the other way round for me though, I started playing Ace Attorney after I became a huge fan of the Professor Layton series and heard of the crossover, now I'm hooked on both. :p

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Oh alrighty, well if you do decide to give the series a go, I'll wish you a lot of fun then. ^_^

It's the other way round for me though, I started playing Ace Attorney after I became a huge fan of the Professor Layton series and heard of the crossover, now I'm hooked on both. :p
Ironically, the reason why I like the Ace Attorney so much started at these boards.

....actually, same with cave story, but that's unrelated.

He makes way too much sense, and personally I would be surprised if he wasn't in.
I wouldn't be surprised either way, to be honest.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I first learned about Ace Attorney through message boards too, that's where I sometimes saw people putting up those animated sprites and pretended to be within "court discussions" and all. Like Groose usually does at the Rate their Chances thread, however, as I had no DS at the time, I didn't pay it much mind.

As for the Professor Layton series, I learned about it when the UK was making a huge fuss about Professor Layton and the Curious Village as it became a huge hit when it was first released, it got even rated as the best DS game of the year alongside Super Smash Bros Brawl as the best Wii game of the year during one of the issues from the Official Nintendo Magazine. However, sometime later when I first got a DSi, my sister brought us Professor Layton and the Curious Village and I quite enjoyed the charming puzzles, story and the characters it featured in that game so I went over and tried out the Elysian Box and Unwound/Lost Future too. Then I got hooked to the series.

Welp, look at me babbling on. Eh, that's how I got to know the two series basically... ^^

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Hey, I was the same! Good ol' Layton and Phoenix Wright crossover... still pumped for it.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Playing through Azran Legacy has made me realize two things.
1) Layton really is my most wanted character for Smash. Which is kinda disappointing considering this may be his last chance to really be desired by many to be in the game. Layton's future is also currently unknown, aside from the Mobile game that nobody is really excited for... So even if he's considered for a future game, he probably won't seem nearly as "appetizing" as others will seem. So really, if he's a no show now. He'll probably never show up.
2) Aurora has literally become my favorite character and I'm barely in chapter 3 help

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah this does seem to be his biggest chance to make it into the games now that he is still fresh in many people's minds. After that it might become more difficult to see him in any newer games. Especially since so many people have such strong beliefs towards recency (despite that Sakurai really has ever talked about Pokemon with such a thing ever mattering due to how difficult GameFreak is to work with).

However, so long as those who support Layton will keep on supporting him in the future and don't just give up just because he isn't recent anymore, then he may still have a shot though.

Honestly, his creator is more than happy to see him in Smash, all he really needs is to hear that the fans agree on wanting to see him in Smash and he might just approach Sakurai one day to request him to be a part of the series.

But that's just my opinion really. We should just try and keep his support up for now.

As for Aurora. She was a pretty interesting character I guess.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Aurora is adorable because she has a legitimately accurate Irish accent and you don't see that enough in games and movies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I did like how they actually went out of their way to hire voice actors who can do legitimate Irish, English and Scottish accents in the games. They didn't really do that in the original trilogy besides Maria Darling who voiced Luke in the UK version because they didn't like the way Lani Minella voiced Luke in the American version. And Christopher Robin Miller (The voice actor of Layton, Chelmey and Don Paolo) despite not actually being from the UK, did make a pretty convincing enough voice acting of an actual English gentleman, which was good.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sorry for the double post but I've made an interpretation of how Layton's trailer would be like in the character reveal trailer thread, so I thought I might as well post it here too. Feel free to post what you think Professor Layton's reveal trailer would be like too if you want. ^^

I guess this could be one way I could see Professor Layton's reveal trailer panning out, it would basically do the same as the Rosalina and Villager Trailers did and make the audience first think that it's actually a video for a new Professor Layton game. It would be animated like the animated cutscenes from the series.

It starts with Luke running into Layton's office and shows him a letter for a brand new case whilst a remix of The Curious Village main theme plays in the background.​

Professor! A new letter came in today, it seems to have a very curious looking seal attached to it.
Oh, let me have a look at it my boy.
What does it say, Professor?
My word, this isn't a letter for an ordinary case, this is actually an invitation. I guess I'd better head to it straight away.
Ooh can I come with you Professor?!
I'm afraid that it's far too dangerous for you my dear.
Yes Flora, you should stay here while the Professor and his trusty appre--
It's too dangerous for you too my boy!
W-What!?!
Layton grabs his trunk as he heads for the door.​
This is a case that involves a lot more violence than puzzles, it's for the best that you two both stay here out of harms way. How about you both solve some puzzles to pass the time? I'll call up Emmy to look after you two for now. I'll be back once it's all done, take care.
As Layton exits the University, he enters his Layton mobile and makes his leave whilst Luke and Flora wave him good luck.​
I hope the Professor will be alright.

Oh I'm sure he will, Flora. Don't you worry.

Afterwards, a fight between Mario, Sonic and Megaman is in progress at St.Mystere as the Laytonmobile makes a stop right among them. The three fighters jump out of the way as Layton steps out of his automobile, the Professor Layton theme plays then in the background.

Hello gentlemen, I do hope it isn't quite the puzzle to include one more challenger into the battle.

Professor Layton
Puzzles the competition!
Because if not, let's just say that "Every puzzle has an answer!"

Gameplay footage gets shown with Layton kicking everyone's butt as usual.

Afterwards he's shown happily drinking a cup of tea whilst Mario, Sonic and Megaman are on the ground knocked out as the trailer ends.

Also, I've made two new Layton sprites which I've included in this post too. Feel free to use them if you wish.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Heres my idea for the trailer:

Mario, link and kirby are shown looking ready for a fight
The camera pulls back and shows the're standing in a row they begin interacting with something
The camera flips behind the and shows they are looking at a floating puzzle screen and were putting in an answer
Link hits the submit button it comes up "incorrect" the trio hang their heads in disappointment
A familiar arm reaches in puts in an answer and it comes up "correct"
The trio turn to see professor Layton standing there
He points the screen freezes and the caption reads: Layton joins the battle
Cut to gameplay montage showing of Layton's moves
Trailer ends with the professors picarat count increasing

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Nice one, fogbadge, I can imagine them doing something like that for Layton's trailer.

Perhaps I should put a section in the OP to include ideas for a reveal trailer.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've been thinking of ideas for Layton reveal trailers myself, but the idea of him receiving a letter never crossed my mind for some reason.

I may type up my idea this weekend.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I've been thinking of ideas for Layton reveal trailers myself, but the idea of him receiving a letter never crossed my mind for some reason.

I may type up my idea this weekend.
It's how the series always starts with Layton receiving a letter for a case (I don't think we have seen him with letter in Azran Legacy though unless you count the bit at the very end, that's a first.) And even in Smash Bros, Villager and Snake had also received an invitation to join the Super Smash Bros series so I kinda felt it would only make sense that in Layton's trailer it would start off with him receiving a letter inviting him to join the battle too. But I guess that's just me. :p

Anyway, will be looking forward to your idea. ^^

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Heh, the Layton series did take some inspirations from the Dr. Kawashima games if I recall correctly.

Also, Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney will be coming out soon for Europe, the US still doesn't have a set release date yet if I recall correctly, hopefully it won't be as long as the wait between Azran Legacy for you guys.

D

Deleted member

I didn't realize it was coming out here so soon, thanks for the reminder Kikwi-Kiwi.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I STILL need to beat Azran Legacy...and buy Dual Destinies...
I need AL, and I've beaten DD.

In other news, I'm super hyped for Layton 6. After I complete it, I'm going to re-play the entire series, and 100% them all at the same time.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Just finished Azran Legacies last night...I'm not gonna spoil anything...I'll just say that the ending was one of those "This is why I play videogames" moments. It's a personal tie with Unwound Future's for most tearjerking ending on a Professor Layton game, I think this thread's the right place to say this...thank you, Level-5, for the Layton games, because no other series has made me experience the same feelings of happiness, sadness, surprise, anger, etc...

I would seriously cry once more if Professor Layton made it into Smash at this point, he's a legend and I'm pretty sure he'll go down in history as one of the greatest characters of videogame history...one of the things I liked more about Unwound Future, Miracle Mask and Azran Legacies is that they had a great deal of focus on Layton himself...

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Heh, seems like ONM did a feature for the Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright crossover and made a list of other games they'd like to see him in and made a fun little writing about him starring in Smash.

Just thought I'd might share so here.

Oh, and before a misunderstanding arises like that one "Layton joins the grand Smash tournament" stuff. This is not a leak. It's just ONM poking some fun.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
"Luke...if I don't return, you'll be a good gentleman for dear Flora, won't you?"

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I think he has a good chance and I could see him in it.

Also that thingy is incorrect, it's not a fight to the death, it's friendly competition. Oh well, I guess it seems more interesting if it's "a fight to the death".

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think he has a good chance and I could see him in it.

Also that thingy is incorrect, it's not a fight to the death, it's friendly competition. Oh well, I guess it seems more interesting if it's "a fight to the death".
Nah it's just ONM made things more sinister than it actually is. Like I said, it's just them poking some fun. Here's one about Ocarina of Time for example.

Anyway, it's nice to see them still supporting Layton for Smash Bros. And I agree, he can fit in really well in Smash Bros. I'm not sure if his chances are great though... :/

D

Deleted member

Vintage ONM right there. Bang on the money for a Layton reveal, though, a Layton reveal trailer would be so hype and such a good surprise.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
In this case, we simply never had a famous third party who got his real fame after Brawl's release. I think it's why you guys are less confident on the gentlemen.
If he's going to take consideration from all regions and Little Mac was considered, Layton has gotta be up there in the roster consideration.
I'm just not sure on why I seem to be the only supporter confident that he's in the game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
In this case, we simply never had a famous third party who got his real fame after Brawl's release. I think it's why you guys are less confident on the gentlemen.
If he's going to take consideration from all regions and Little Mac was considered, Layton has gotta be up there in the roster consideration.
I'm just not sure on why I seem to be the only supporter confident that he's in the game.
Well I would have given him a higher chance had Sakurai not said that "third parties need to be legendary" requirement, which may or may not hurt his chances by quite a bit. The series had achieved huge popularity when it first came out. Lost Future was a very critically acclaimed game. Miracle Mask was the game that gave the 3DS the boost in sales in Japan that no other launch game achieved. And the series is overall very well loved among many people, including Nintendo themselves. But would he still be considered "Legendary" I'm just not sure...

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I still think Layton has a chance, especially since the creator himself said he's OK with the idea. A lot of people's arguments against Layton are "fighting doesn't suit him/it's out of his character", and while we all know he can fight when he needs to, the creator outright saying he's OK with Layton being in a skirmish kills the argument entirely.

@ Curious Villager Curious Villager : There's a reason for the Layton VS Wright crossover, you know...

Last edited:
Top Bottom