• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for SSB4 thread!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So apparently today, Level-5 announced a new Layton game for the 3DS, IOS and Android and Hino wasn't kidding when he said that it would be completely different from what we are used to.... I guess I will just show the images.

This is Layton 7. It's a Role Playing Puzzle game.

Looks kinda London Life-esque. I'm not really sure what to say, I think I need to see some more images and gameplay videos before I can make some concrete judgement since we know so little about this but oh well. What do you guys think?
I'm kind of weirded out by this announcement....

The art style looks suspiciously similar to Wallace and Gromit.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Now that you mention it Falkoopa, it does kinda have a Wallace and Gromit-esque feel to it. Especially when you look at how claylike it looks and plays.

Even when I heard of the news of Layton not being the main character, I was kinda having the impression that a different existing character like Luke or Emmy would take over. But this looks more like a spin-off than something that is apparently a part of the main series storyline... (At least that's the impression I'm getting from the fact it's called Layton 7) :/

Groose

Smash Champion
From what I can see (which is admittedly very little) it looks like a game designed for iOS that will be ported to the 3DS... normally, it's the other way around.

I'm kind of glad they're breaking series tradition and avoiding making the game stale... but I'm not sure of how this new game will play out.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I suppose so. By the way, here's a video of the game.

I do appreciate that they are trying to avoid letting the series go stale. After all, you can only do so much with a point and click puzzle solving mystery game but this wasn't really what I imagined when Hino said that we could explore a 3D London... Oh well, maybe I'm prejudging the game too soon. I think we should just wait for more info to come along since we still know very little about this. :/

Groose

Smash Champion
I suppose so. By the way, here's a video of the game.

I do appreciate that they are trying to avoid letting the series go stale. Afterl all, you can only do so much with a point and click puzzle solving mystery game but this wasn't really what I imagined when Hino said that we could explore a 3D London... Oh well, maybe I'm prejudging the game too soon. I think we should just wait for more info to come along since we still know very little about this. :/

I don't even really know how the game will play. They simply couldn't call it 'Layton' if it lacked logic puzzles... could they? I don't know, I'm getting a vibe that it's just an explore a Layton-esque version of London. Puzzles will be incorporated in some way, but not the traditional way, methinks.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah perhaps it might play out like a mix of London Life and the traditional Layton games. You create your own avatar and then as you explore London by walking around finding hint coins and puzzles, talking to people and then solving whatever mystery there is that needs to be solved in this game.

If it plays out like that I would at least like to see some familiar faces here and there. You know, Layton, Luke, Flora, Emmy etc just to give it a bit of a familiar feel. But oh well, like I said, we still know too little about this game I guess... :/

Actually on further inspection. This is probably just a spin-off game and not something that is actually a part of the Layton canon. Notice how in this image there are 7 characters?

Perhaps the name "Layton 7" is just referring to those seven characters. So it's nothing really anything to do with the Layton Canon, It's just another Spin off game like Layton Brothers. :)

Hoots

Can Be Combative
**** everything about Layton 7. I thought we were supposed to get a sequel trilogy, not some half-assed iPhone game. Absolutely unacceptable.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I have mixed feelings about Layton 7... one part of me wants to say; Oh, more Puzzles!

THEN the more rational, less naive part of me says...

Zombies Level-5? Really? Give us a London-Life IOS port... -_-

The Mask is not pleased.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Will we one day get that sequel trilogy? I honestly don't know. I've actually been waiting ever since I finished Unwound/Lost Future. Hopefully Level-5 will bring the Prof and his friends back someday. (Or at least him with Luke and Flora... Emmy too I guess.)

Right now I'm not very fond of the direction they have been taking this series in but oh well... Only time will tell I guess. Lets just hope that Level-5 knows what they are doing.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well, the good ol' Professor has survived here on the Boards! Welcome back Layton fans!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh yay, this site is back up and running again. I kinda started missing it but then again, I was kinda busy with real life stuff anyway in the meantime.

Oh well, Welcome back Laytonites. :)

D

Deleted member

I am back-thank the world for the site working again.

Also, sorry for my long periods of absence; after I said I would do the codecs my internet went down for a few days, and when I got back on the site was down.

D

Deleted member

Also, regarding Layton 7...as the official evil Professor Hershel Layton from ten years into the future, I disapprove of Layton 7.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's most likely just another spin off like Layton Brothers and Layton Royale anyway so there's nothing to worry about.... Except if Level-5 is even willing to make another trilogy, Which I hope they do.... At least one last trilogy taking place after Unwound/Lost Future would be nice.... :c

D

Deleted member

It's most likely just another spin off like Layton Brothers and Layton Royale anyway so there's nothing to worry about.... Except if Level-5 is even willing to make another trilogy, Which I hope they do.... At least one last trilogy taking place after Unwound/Lost Future would be nice.... :c
Yeah; honestly, I don't like the idea of Layton 7 at all anyway, even if it's a spin-off for one of the many reasons I hated Layton Brothers; it looks nothing like an actual Layton game, it just has his name on it so it can sell.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well that's what spin-off's usually are but yeah I see where you are coming from. The lack of familiar faces is really what disinterests me the most out of this game. :/

D

Deleted member

Well that's what spin-off's usually are but yeah I see where you are coming from. The lack of familiar faces is really what disinterests me the most out of this game. :/
Not exactly; look at Mario Kart or pretty much any Pokemon Wii game-they're radically different from the main series formula, but at least incorporate elements from said main series into them (the items in Mario Kart being based off items from the main series like shells and mushrooms, or the use of the Pokemon attacks in...well...yeah), and include familiar faces as part of them. Look at the Layton spin-offs...they literally have nothing to do with Layton other than the title-but lets not get into an argument over it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I thought spin off's where just sidegames featuring familiar characters but in completely different (non-canon) roles than they usually are. Such as Mario and friends competing in Mario Kart and other sports and party titles instead of Mario (along with Luigi and occasionally some Toads) heading out to safe Princess Peach or Link and other Zelda characters doing certain activities in Tetra's Trackers and Link's Crossbow Training.

I don't mind seeing some extra games featuring Layton and friends doing stuff in some non-canon games (London Life and Layton Royale) since they do help in giving more screentime to characters who got very little of it (Flora and Don Paolo etc) or bringing back some popular one-shot characters (Anton and Claire etc) especially if some people want to see more of them.
What I'm not to fond of is when they choose to develop some games featuring completely unfamiliar characters and try and sell the game under a popular and well known name instead of trying to make it stand on its own two feet (Layton Brothers and Layton 7) since that kinda feels like a very cheap way to get money. (Then again, I guess spin-offs in general are kind of there to make some extra money on popular names so...)

D

Deleted member

I thought spin off's where just sidegames featuring familiar characters but in completely different (non-canon) roles than they usually are. Such as Mario and friends competing in Mario Kart and other sports and party titles instead of Mario (along with Luigi and occasionally some Toads) heading out to safe Princess Peach or Link and other Zelda characters doing certain activities in Tetra's Trackers and Link's Crossbow Training.

I don't mind seeing some extra games featuring Layton and friends doing stuff in some non-canon games (London Life and Layton Royale) since they do help in giving more screentime to characters who got very little of it (Flora and Don Paolo etc) or bringing back some popular one-shot characters (Anton and Claire etc) especially if some people want to see more of them.
What I'm not to fond of is when they choose to develop some games featuring completely unfamiliar characters and try and sell the game under a popular and well known name instead of trying to make it stand on its own two feet (Layton Brothers and Layton 7) since that kinda feels like a very cheap way to get money. (Then again, I guess spin-offs in general are kind of there to make some extra money on popular names so...)
I see what you mean, but what I'm trying to essentially say is that I don't mind spinoffs as long as they have something to do with the franchise they're based on; Layton Brothers and Layton 7 fail to accomplish that.

By the way, have we ever talked about potential music choices here? I don't think we have, but I'm not sure.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Then I guess we are both essentially agreeing with each other. (if I'm understanding you correctly that is...)

Well some people did suggest some songs a number of pages back. If you want to suggest some more songs, feel free to share. ^_^

D

Deleted member

Then I guess we are both essentially agreeing with each other. (if I'm understanding you correctly that is...)

Well some people did suggest some songs a number of pages back. If you want to suggest some more songs, feel free to share. ^_^
I believe we are.

Well then, we have a lot to choose from...Layton's Theme is definitely a must.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Sure, I'll add them later though since now I can't since it's getting late now and I need to get up on time. Feel free to share more songs if you like. (With a youtube video link included would be very much appreciated.) See you later. ;)

D

Deleted member

Sure, I'll add them later though since now I can't since it's getting late now and I need to get up on time. Feel free to share more songs if you like. (With a youtube video link included would be very much appreciated.) See you later. ;)
See you then.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Anybody remember that post by "TopHatProfessor" on Twitter? It said he was invited to a Grand Smash tournament and was angry due to the fact that they forced him to fight a "blue robot boy, a possessed doll and a tiny boxer?" This may be a hint of some sort (going in with the Layton puzzle theme) that Little Mac, Layton and Geno may be in. However, due to the fact that Sakurai's limiting third-parties, I'm doubting we'll have Sonic, Mega Man, Snake, Pac-Man, Geno AND Layton all together.

D

Deleted member

Say, looking back at when there were suggestions for Luke to work as an IC style partner, I had an idea.

Perhaps Layton could primarily fight on his own, but one of his specials/Final Smash could call in Luke to fight as his partner?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
planning on getting the layton/ace attorney crossover, if I can afford a 3DS by then, that is.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
planning on getting the layton/ace attorney crossover, if I can afford a 3DS by then, that is.
It's going to be awesome. I almost had a fanboy attack when they announced it!!! Have you listened to the music? It's great!

Also: Were did you get that avatar? Is that Donkey Kong cos playing as Gumshoe?

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Ahh, I certainly love Layton and his games but this would sure be strange! Not saying I don't want him in, if the website updates and I see him there I will be prettyyy happy. But better not get my hopes up, ya know? Sure he's been on Nintendo platforms and this and that but...what a strange character choice! And those scary dot eyes...would he fit in very well? I'm not sure at all. It's very unlikely but if it happens: cool!

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
Ahh, I certainly love Layton and his games but this would sure be strange! Not saying I don't want him in, if the website updates and I see him there I will be prettyyy happy. But better not get my hopes up, ya know? Sure he's been on Nintendo platforms and this and that but...what a strange character choice! And those scary dot eyes...would he fit in very well? I'm not sure at all. It's very unlikely but if it happens: cool!
I feel that he would fit right in (The Villager's eyes and Wii Fit Trainer's eyes are the scariest). He'd definitely be a unique character as well.

EDIT: I support, and I made a signature if you wanted it.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

If you are used to Ness and Lucas's dot eyes you'll be just fine with Layton's. ;)

EDIT: I support, and I made a signature if you wanted it.

Oh cool, thanks. I'll include it to the OP and I'll include you to the supporters list. ;)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Any new ideas?? Anything... I feel like I'm the necromancer of this thread. Always reviving. :p

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
I don't see why they wouldn't add him to the game, other than the game company makes games for other systems, but still.

Top Bottom