• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well the Dragon Quest Hero and Banjo Kazooie are confirmed.
There are now only two spots left in the fighters pass. Its interesting that neither characters will be coming out today but later.

Hopefully Layton will manage to become one of the last two fighters remaining....

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Well the Dragon Quest Hero and Banjo Kazooie are confirmed.
There are now only two spots left in the fighters pass. Its interesting that neither characters will be coming out today but later.

Hopefully Layton will manage to become one of the last two fighters remaining....
Well now speculation is basically back to square one right now.

Maybe I just still too hyped from the ending of that direct, but I actually feel optimistic about our chances!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well now speculation is basically back to square one right now.

Maybe I just still too hyped from the ending of that direct, but I actually feel optimistic about our chances!
We got the Megaman of the N64, Banjo.
C'mon Sakurai, give us the Megaman of the DS too please.....
Give us the Prof....

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I feel good about our odds. Not sure why, it's weird to have no clue about what's going to happen beyond 'obviously third parties'.

Here's hoping it pans out.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I said it before, but a normal Nintendo direct is probably are best bet. E3 is prime real estate for reveals, DQ has had a major push towards the west recently and it makes sense to reveal a western character at a western event. Layton doesn’t honestly need anything too special for him to be revealed.

With Banjo and Erdrick out of the way, it really begs the question, who is left? Almost all of the big name characters are already in Smash. I honestly think Layton is one of the front runners right now, his only real competition I see is another Capcom or another Namco character.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I said it before, but a normal Nintendo direct is probably are best bet. E3 is prime real estate for reveals, DQ has had a major push towards the west recently and it makes sense to reveal a western character at a western event. Layton doesn’t honestly need anything too special for him to be revealed.

With Banjo and Erdrick out of the way, it really begs the question, who is left? Almost all of the big name characters are already in Smash. I honestly think Layton is one of the front runners right now, his only real competition I see is another Capcom or another Namco character.
I hope you're right, there aren't too many characters left, but likewise, neither are the amount of spots left for the DLC unless we get a second fighters pass (Which by god I hope there is. I'm just not confident enough in the remaining two spots...)

Seeing Layton do well in many polls is quite reassuring to see, particularly this exit poll, where Layton is now in the top five remaining characters that aren't in the game yet in any way. (Sora, Jibanyan, Phoenix Wright, Arle Nadja, Professor Layton)

There is also that 5Chan rumour where Layton also apparently did pretty well in the fighters ballot. At least well enough to catch Sakurai's eyes.
franchises not yet present in Smash said:
Sora, Phoenix Wright, Tales(total), Monster Hunter, Layton, Dante, Touhou(total?), Master Chief,
Crash Bandicoot, Fate characters, Minecraft, Yokai Watch(total), Ryu Hayabusa, Okami,
Resident Evil(total), Kat, Puyopuyo, Oliver, Mai Shiranui, Neku Sakuraba, Tekken, Spyro,

Full list here.
Among other polls he did well in, but still, those are just polls at the end of the day so we can't be sure how much close attention they pay to these.
Not to mention that there is also Yokai Watch that may potentially gets prioritised over the Prof.

For now, I just wish that the Layton fandom could become more vocal again for the Prof. Like they did today, It was wonderful to see them all rally for the Prof to show up in today's Direct. We really need to step up and get our voices heard. I think that's the best option for us...

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think despite being pretty silent, the Layton fandom probably came out in hordes for the ballot. I can imagine him doing crazy good amongst third parties.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I just kinda realized something. But this guy.
DragonQuestVIIIRender.png

Isn't he from the Dragon Quest game that Level-5 developed? I think it was coincidentally also the very last one they developed before they created the Professor Layton series with Curious Village.

I don't know the very nitty gritty part of things since I don't really follow the Dragon Quest series, wether or not Square created this character beforehand and just let Level-5 make a game with him at some point. Square probably still fully owns the character regardless.

But if he did first appear in a Dragon Quest game that Level-5 developed. Then I guess we finally sort of got some part of Level-5 in the game...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I just kinda realized something. But this guy.

Isn't he from the Dragon Quest game that Level-5 developed? I think it was coincidentally also the very last one they developed before they created the Professor Layton series with Curious Village.

I don't know the very nitty gritty part of things since I don't really follow the Dragon Quest series, wether or not Square created this character beforehand and just let Level-5 make a game with him at some point. Square probably still fully owns the character regardless.

But if he did first appear in a Dragon Quest game that Level-5 developed. Then I guess we finally sort of got some part of Level-5 in the game...
Dragon Quest VIII was indeed developed by Level-5.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Dragon Quest VIII was indeed developed by Level-5.
That's very interesting.
Again Square probably fully owns the character, but it would be interesting if Level-5 may have been contacted as well for their blessings, or maybe some of the music or spirits official artwork they may have made. (but again, Square probably fully owns those too)

Wether or not that would increase the chances of us seeing a fully owned Level-5 character or not, probably not...
But would still be an interesting thing to think about.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
It will be necessary to wait for the contents of the Hero DLC to know more about the Costume theory and possibly about the other Level 5 contents. For the rest, there is not much more on what to theorize. As far as I'm concerned I support the column theory, which makes Layton possible, which boils down to this image:

column-theory.gif

According to this representation, It would stay in competition for the last two DLC :
-> Switch : any new portage or indie game (ex: Dark Souls, Katamari, Touhou, Undertale...),
+ GB : Tamagoshi...
/ GBA : Ace Attorney, Crash, Rhythm, Tekken...
/ NDS : Cooking Mama, Inazuma Eleven, Ni no Kuni, Professor Layton, Rune Factory, Xenosaga...
/ Wii : Monster Hunter, Okami, Samurai Warriors...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It will be necessary to wait for the contents of the Hero DLC to know more about the Costume theory and possibly about the other Level 5 contents. For the rest, there is not much more on what to theorize. As far as I'm concerned I support the column theory, which makes Layton possible, which boils down to this image:

View attachment 227633

According to this representation, It would stay in competition for the last two DLC :
-> Switch : any new portage or indie game (ex: Dark Souls, Katamari, Touhou, Undertale...),
+ GB : Tamagoshi...
/ GBA : Ace Attorney, Crash, Rhythm, Tekken...
/ NDS : Cooking Mama, Inazuma Eleven, Ni no Kuni, Professor Layton, Rune Factory, Xenosaga...
/ Wii : Monster Hunter, Okami, Samurai Warriors...
So wait, what's the column theory all about? That's the first I've heard of it...

As for the Mii costume theory, we're probably getting an extra pack again like last time during drought times, so I wouldn't really put too much stock into it. At least not for now when we have only gotten one pack so far.

Also, its quite curious how Level-5 apparently hasn't commented at all in regards to the Dragon Quest content being in Smash. (at least none that I've seen so far from either the company or Hino) Particularly the fact that the Dragon Quest VIII protagonist is now in, which they worked with. Even Rare/Playtonic responded when K.Rool was confirmed as well as many other third party dev's whenever any content related to them made it into Smash, no matter how minor it was.

This makes me more interested to look up into the history of Dragon Quest VIII and learn more about how much of a stake Level-5 had into it. Might be worth looking into...

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
The Dragon Quest VIII Hero was created by Level 5. So the contents of the pack could disconfim Layton. However, in Ultimate, King K. Rool already came from Rare and that didn't stop Banjo after that.

Column theory is my crafted-theory for fun, of which Banjo and Layton are compatibles, but it remains in a full opposition phase.
This is a sub-theory of pillar theory that makes the assumption that every third party Fighters would be distributed on different Nintendo consoles (except for the NES), referring to these three points:
• First, it reinforces the idea of pillar, based on the fact that the DCL Fighters, which licenses do not appear on NES, represent different Nintendo consoles.
• Then it takes over the first appearances of the licenses on Nintendo console, and thus reclassifies the licenses born on arcade.
• Finally, it is assumed that Castlevania and Dragon Quest would definitely be NES licenses, so Nintendo licenses on NES are strictly two-thirds party-licenses (12 first-party IP / 6 third-party IP). Like Bayonetta at the time of Sm4sh, it is also supposed to be a representative of the latest generation of Nintendo console (any Switch rep).

All series appearing on a console already having a representative would be disqualified :
- NES : Bubble Bobble, Gradius, Momotaro Dentetsu, Ninja Gaiden, Space Invaders, Puyo Puyo...
- SNES : Fatal Fury, Samurai Shodown, Harvest Moon, Tales of, DOOM...
- N64 : Resident Evil,
- Cube : Soulcalibur,
- WiiU : Minecraft,
- 3DS : Yo-kai Watch.
and all series in conflict of license with Dragon Quest would be disqualified :
- GB : Tomb Raider,
- GBA : Kingdom Hearts,

Replies
All of this seems completely irrelevant; it doesn't seem to matter what console or console generation a character first appeared in. If Sakurai, the developers, or the fans want a particular character in, the people who make these decisions aren't going to go "well, we already have six third party franchises that originated on the NES, so I guess we can't add another one."
19 likes
You're looking into it too much. I doubt Nintendo cares that at all about the debut system of each newcomer. It's not like they're gonna add Sora then just say "NOPE!" to Phoenix Wright, Crash, or Spyro just because they all made their Nintendo debut on the GBA (Crash/Spyro's GBA entries aren't even the most memorable entries from their series). The fact that the NES already has a ton of third party reps means that they could just do the same for the other systems.
14 likes

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If Level-5 created the Hero from Dragon Quest VIII then that makes it even more odd that they haven't acknowledged his inclusion...

It might be interesting to check if they get credited at all for his inclusion once the DLC is out.

Now I'm wondering whether or not they may have a character they actually fully own by themselves in the pipelines they rather want to save their excitement on until those are revealed....
Why comment on a character from a franchise you babysit a few times when you have a character from a series you fully own that is coming along too?
I'm probably looking too much into this and setting myself up for disappointment but still....

Oh I see, I suppose that might work, though I'm not sure if Sakurai himself commits to something like that, but I guess we'll see...

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Most theories can be countered by invoking Sakurai's authority. Wear Sakurai in front is useful to express a personal rejection, but I prefer to encourage the theory crafting that I find amusing.

Another thing that is not authoritative, and to encourage participation, I see that Layton is top 4 RTC forecasts.
- Crash - another Western platformer cartoon character - ≈48.5%.
- Lloyd Irving - another heroic fantasy RPG hero - ≈48%.
- Ryu Hayabusa ≈42.5%.
- Professor Layton ≈35%.
- Capcom rep : Phoenix Wright ≈33%, Monster Hunter ≈30.5% and Leon S. Kennedy ≈29%.
Each character should really be re-evaluated to have updated forecasts. Personally, I bet on an upcoming DLC from an exclusive license at Nintendo. Layton / Yo-kai Watch are the most serious candidates.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wouldn't exactly rely too much on RTC personally.
But its nice to know that Layton did fairly well there, despite not being discussed as much on this site.

GreenSpirit

Smash Rookie
Well, for what it's worth, I just went and check the mentions on the official website and while Microsoft was added, Level-5 is still left out and I don't see them being added later on, just for good measure.

I'm guessing it means Square Enix is considered the sole owner of that character. I don't think it means Level-5 wasn't approached, just that they won't be credited for a character they have created as it legally belongs to a serie from another company.
It's honestly hard to say as I don't know much about the kind of deals, contracts and legal stuff that goes behind all of that.

But that aside, I too am confident about our dear professor's chances to finally get in !
Both the remakes were still missing from this presentation, so there's hope for a tie-in announcement ! (Or perhaps he could get announced alongside a new game, but I might be too hopeful there)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, for what it's worth, I just went and check the mentions on the official website and while Microsoft was added, Level-5 is still left out and I don't see them being added later on, just for good measure.

I'm guessing it means Square Enix is considered the sole owner of that character. I don't think it means Level-5 wasn't approached, just that they won't be credited for a character they have created as it legally belongs to a serie from another company.
It's honestly hard to say as I don't know much about the kind of deals, contracts and legal stuff that goes behind all of that.

But that aside, I too am confident about our dear professor's chances to finally get in !
Both the remakes were still missing from this presentation, so there's hope for a tie-in announcement ! (Or perhaps he could get announced alongside a new game, but I might be too hopeful there)
I guess its another K.Rool/ Diddy Kong type of deal. Where the character was created by Level-5, but is fully owned by Square to do with as they please. They might have been approached for their approval though, but its hard to say..
Thanks for bringing that up. Still doesn't really explain why Level-5 didn't really acknowledge his inclusion but oh well. Guess they'd rather wait for a character they actually fully own.

Level-5 has their vision conference, in October if I recall, I don't think they would personally announce Layton there, but it might potentially be a good time to reveal character 4 there as Hero and probably Banjo would be released by then. Probably to be released later on in December or something. Guess we'll see and hopefully that character will be the Prof.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I have a good feeling about either Phoenix, Layton, or a similar demographic character. Nintendo has said in meetings they're trying to court different demos, and I feel like next up has got to be something more casual or universal - and both Phoenix and Layton are iconic Nintendo-heavy puzzle games with large female demographics and both characters seem to have placed well in the ballot across the board. Here's hoping one or both of them makes it!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I have a good feeling about either Phoenix, Layton, or a similar demographic character. Nintendo has said in meetings they're trying to court different demos, and I feel like next up has got to be something more casual or universal - and both Phoenix and Layton are iconic Nintendo-heavy puzzle games with large female demographics and both characters seem to have placed well in the ballot across the board. Here's hoping one or both of them makes it!
I hope you're right.
I don't really want Level-5 to get left behind in terms of content for this Smash game. I suppose they sort of got the Hero of DQ VIII in there now, but it doesn't seem like they are all that interested in his inclusion. I think their waiting for a character they actually fully own for themselves to make it in.

There is of course that female demographics that they could tap into with him. I think someone in the character thread made some kind of theory about the newcomers in the base game parallelling the ones for DLC. With Isabelle, Animal Crossing is a series that is highly popular with female gamers and casuals. Likewise the Layton series is another franchise that is highly popular with females and casuals so if that theory held much water, then that would work for the Prof.

The best case scenario would be a dual reveal with Layton and Phoenix though. Maybe something in reference to the original reveal trailer of their crossover game.

Maybe have Zelda there instead of Espella and the audience can be the other characters.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I hope you're right.
I don't want Level-5 to get left behind in terms of content for this Smash game. I suppose they sort of got the Hero of DQ VIII in there now, but it doesn't seem like they are all that interested in his inclusion. I think their waiting for a character they actually fully own for themselves to make it in.

There is of course that female demographics that they could tap into with him. I think someone in the character thread made some kind of theory about the newcomers in the base game parallelling the ones for DLC. With Isabelle, Animal Crossing is a series that is highly popular with female gamers and casuals. Likewise the Layton series is another franchise that is highly popular with females and casuals so if that theory held much water, then that would work for the Prof.

The best case scenario would be a dual reveal with Layton and Phoenix though. Maybe something in reference to the original reveal trailer of their crossover game.

Maybe have Zelda there instead of Espella and the audience can be the other characters.
or maybe its exactly the same until the judge is reveal to be mario

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
or maybe its exactly the same until the judge is reveal to be mario
Hmm in that case that might work better in a regular Direct then.
Potentially fool people that the crossover is getting a sequel/HD port to the Switch and then reveal that it was a Smash trailer all along.
I don't know how fans who are hoping for an actual sequel to the crossover would feel about it but I guess it wouldn't the be the first time they mislead people into thinking a new long awaited game was coming, but it was Smash.

RIP Kirby fans who thought a new Air Ride was coming, or Kirby in Mario Kart 8.... :ultrosalina:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Hm! With such huge ballot winners getting in, other big names as assist trophies or spirits, and only twooo spots left, the competition is getting real narrow and tense! Layton, huh? Hm...to be honest, I never took him that seriously! I've played most of the series, and while I like the puzzles (though they can mess with the pacing since I'm mostly interested in the mystery) and the music, and aesthetic, the overall mysteries and endings have always felt real cheap to me! Even Layton vs Ace Attorney, I absolutely loved the game...halfway through...the ending felt bad to me. And the 5th Layton game, I mean, as soon as I started it the main mystery was solved so... Anyway!!

I still think the Layton series is pretty neat for what it is, if I approach em as puzzle games rather than mystery games, then hey, they sure get me to think while enjoying a cute aesthetic and nice music! I remember being at a sleepover, and everyone went to sleep! Sleepovers, you're supposed to party all night! So I left and made my way home around 4am I think, it was really gray and foggy out, I couldn't see ahead of me that well, at least that's how I remember it. I was still a kid, it was kinda spooky, but instead of being scared, I kept my DS open and listened to The Veil of Night, which made the stroll much, much better, and now it's a real magical experience and memory!

Hm~ A Layton stage would be really pretty...no doubt his moveset, victory screens and everything would be fun... Honestly, I still really need Phoenix to get in first, but I can imagine a great trailer with both! Starts in a courtroom with Phoenix sweating, audience thinks "Oh, an Ace Attorney port or something?" Phoenix is going "Agh, I'm finished..." pan over to prosecutor's bench, there's Layton, audience goes "Oh! A sequel to their crossover!" Layton goes "So sorry Mr. Wright...perhaps we should try..." pan over to the witness stand where Mario and some other Smash Bros are fighting "another form of combat?" Ha, something like that!

Anyway! If I'm not already there (can't remember if I visited here before...) you can slap me on that support list! The stage, music, references, that would all warm my heart haha...but if he gets in over Phoenix then my grudge against him...oof, I'm still not over how...uh, in Layton vs Ace Attorney
Darklaw basically goes "Oh, I just wanted Layton, didn't mean to bring you here Phoenix" and Phoenix is just like "oh" and she doesn't go "But thanks anyway" it's just yup Layton is perfect and knows everything, I get Phoenix gets teased, but wow, that was a slap in the face!! Pwsh, ohhh welllll

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hmm in that case that might work better in a regular Direct then.
Potentially fool people that the crossover is getting a sequel/HD port to the Switch and then reveal that it was a Smash trailer all along.
I don't know how fans who are hoping for an actual sequel to the crossover would feel about it but I guess it wouldn't the be the first time they mislead people into thinking a new long awaited game was coming, but it was Smash.

RIP Kirby fans who thought a new Air Ride was coming, or Kirby in Mario Kart 8.... :ultrosalina:
well if they were like me theyd be so happy to have them both they wouldnt mind

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hm! With such huge ballot winners getting in, other big names as assist trophies or spirits, and only twooo spots left, the competition is getting real narrow and tense! Layton, huh? Hm...to be honest, I never took him that seriously! I've played most of the series, and while I like the puzzles (though they can mess with the pacing since I'm mostly interested in the mystery) and the music, and aesthetic, the overall mysteries and endings have always felt real cheap to me! Even Layton vs Ace Attorney, I absolutely loved the game...halfway through...the ending felt bad to me. And the 5th Layton game, I mean, as soon as I started it the main mystery was solved so... Anyway!!

I still think the Layton series is pretty neat for what it is, if I approach em as puzzle games rather than mystery games, then hey, they sure get me to think while enjoying a cute aesthetic and nice music! I remember being at a sleepover, and everyone went to sleep! Sleepovers, you're supposed to party all night! So I left and made my way home around 4am I think, it was really gray and foggy out, I couldn't see ahead of me that well, at least that's how I remember it. I was still a kid, it was kinda spooky, but instead of being scared, I kept my DS open and listened to The Veil of Night, which made the stroll much, much better, and now it's a real magical experience and memory!

Hm~ A Layton stage would be really pretty...no doubt his moveset, victory screens and everything would be fun... Honestly, I still really need Phoenix to get in first, but I can imagine a great trailer with both! Starts in a courtroom with Phoenix sweating, audience thinks "Oh, an Ace Attorney port or something?" Phoenix is going "Agh, I'm finished..." pan over to prosecutor's bench, there's Layton, audience goes "Oh! A sequel to their crossover!" Layton goes "So sorry Mr. Wright...perhaps we should try..." pan over to the witness stand where Mario and some other Smash Bros are fighting "another form of combat?" Ha, something like that!

Anyway! If I'm not already there (can't remember if I visited here before...) you can slap me on that support list! The stage, music, references, that would all warm my heart haha...but if he gets in over Phoenix then my grudge against him...oof, I'm still not over how...uh, in Layton vs Ace Attorney
Darklaw basically goes "Oh, I just wanted Layton, didn't mean to bring you here Phoenix" and Phoenix is just like "oh" and she doesn't go "But thanks anyway" it's just yup Layton is perfect and knows everything, I get Phoenix gets teased, but wow, that was a slap in the face!! Pwsh, ohhh welllll
That sounds nice. To be fair, the story of the crossover was written by the writers of the Ace Attorney series. I think they tried to not show any bias so they may have glorified Layton a bit too much over Phoenix there. (Kind of like how Sakurai tries to not show any bias with the Kirby series in Smash so he tries to be as modest as possible with them) Not that Layton himself was handled any better there, his constant "a true gentleman this, that" got pretty annoying after a while. Layton uses his lectures in his home games too, but much much more sparingly. I would never really recommend that game as a starting point for either Professor Layton or Ace Attorney fans trying to look into the other series, or newcomers who are interested in trying out both series.

As for Layton's popularity, he's been up there and has been consistently more requested than Jibanyan globally as far as Level-5 franchises go, especially in Europe. I think he's been fairly well requested. Especially during the ballot period. His series has also done really well. Having sold over 17 million as of last year.

Whoever makes it in first though, I hope there is no ill will or bullying towards fans of the other. I hope they both make it in eventually.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
That sounds nice. To be fair, the story of the crossover was written by the writers of the Ace Attorney series. I think they tried to not show any bias so they may have glorified Layton a bit too much over Phoenix there. (Kind of like how Sakurai tries to not show any bias with the Kirby series in Smash so he tries to be as modest as possible with them) Not that Layton himself was handled any better there, his constant "a true gentleman this, that" got pretty annoying after a while. Layton uses his lectures in his home games too, but much much more sparingly. I would never really recommend that game as a starting point for either Professor Layton or Ace Attorney fans trying to look into the other series.

As for Layton's popularity, he's been up there and has been consistently more requested than Jibanyan globally as far as Level-5 franchises go, especially in Europe. I think he's been fairly well requested. Especially during the ballot period.

Whoever makes it in first though, I hope there is no ill will towards each other. I hope they both make it in eventually.
Ah, yeah, I was real glad when I heard Shu Takumi would write the game, but the ending reminded me of the Layton games I'd played! I always suspected and finally checked a few months ago and yup, they got the writer of the first 5 Layton games to help out with Layton vs Ace Attonrey. But hey, I hear Layton 6 got a new writer and people loved the story of that one the most so that's cool, hope the series is still doing well, maybe I'll pop back in someday!

Sounds good! Yeah, even if Layton got in and Phoenix got snubbed by some Resident Evil rep, I'll of course be happy for all the fans and say congrats! When Banjo was announced I wasn't like "But what about Phoenix!!" I was just real happy for the fans, and even if I tease a bit, I definitely support!

aaronarium

Smash Rookie
Made an account just to say Layton is my #1 character for Smash.

I am worried though, if an L5 representative had to be chosen, there's no way they're not going to pick Jibanyan. Yo-Kai Watch is exorbitantly popular in Japan after all.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I am worried though, if an L5 representative had to be chosen, there's no way they're not going to pick Jibanyan. Yo-Kai Watch is exorbitantly popular in Japan after all.
Hey welcome to Smashboards aaronarium, and thank you for supporting the Prof. I'll add you to the supporters list.

Yeah, the possibility of them picking Jibanyan over Layton is a very real thing. However, Layton does seem to be the more popular request between the two and Sakurai has picked the more popularly requested character over ones that come from more popular franchises before. Megaman over Ryu, Banjo over Steve or Master Chief, Cloud over DQ Hero.

In the case of Final Fantasy and Dragon quest, the latter is more popular in Japan, yet Sakurai still prioritized the one that was more popular globally first.
Which is a similar case with the Layton and Yokai Watch series. though even then, the Layton series is still Level-5's highest selling franchise last I checked.

So I guess it really depends on who they go with I suppose...

But here's hoping for the best. Even if we got Jibanyan over the Prof, it would be reassuring to know that he would more or less be the biggest frontrunner for Level-5 after that for the next Smash (if there are no further fighters passes), especially once they got their foot through the door with one character in.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I don't believe in the many coincidences recently, like yeah sure, we'll probably get someone with at least a lil blue on em for a blue background on the site, but the "color" theory and "companion" theory are both just coincidences! ...buuut, it is fun to realize that like ooh, Phoenix could be Blue and bring Maya, and Layton could definitely be Orange and have Luke tag along!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I don't really follow any of these theories myself. Their fun to speculate, but best not to take them for gospel. but oh well, whatever gets Layton and Phoenix more discussed I guess...

Same goes for the Mii costume theory, especially since we still only have one instance of it. I don't really see Square and Microsoft churning out 6-7 costumes at once (Since that's the average we seem to be getting since the last game) just to have a whole pack dedicated to themselves. Nor do I know how many things they can reasonably pull to fill out that number...
That's not even mentioning a potential extra pack with additional Mii costumes during drought time.

But that's just me.

Edit: Alright I looked a bit more into the whole "color theory" seems to be more like a "rainbow theory" if you ask me. With only Blue and Orange missing. Mix that up with the companion theory with Maya and Luke and.... yeah this is too good to be true.... Better not get our hopes up for Phoenix and Layton for this, even if it fits them perfectly...

Last edited:

Matthjass

Smash Cadet
NNID
MathsJass
3DS FC
0602-7469-3826
Switch FC
SW 8578 0545 0012
Hi ! Like Aaronarium I just made an account to post on this thread…

So Professor Layton is also my most wanted DLC character for Ultimate. Back in Smash 4 I didn’t vote for him in the ballot because at the time there weren’t new Layton games for a few years so I didn’t really think of him as a likely fighter. But I’m actually a huge fan of the series since the Curious Village in 2008 ! I bought all the games and now I fully regret not to have voted Layton in the ballot, because I realize he really has a lot of potential to be in Smash.

One year ago I made a thread about Layton on jeuvideo.com http://www.jeuxvideo.com/forums/42-...ree-du-molentary-express-a-destination-de.htm (I’m Swiss so it’s in french, sorry…) and I included some of my ideas like a trailer, a moveset, a stage, musics, an assist trophy, spirit battles and an echo. I also posted some elements I found interesting in this thread and in the one you did for Layton in Smash 4... Seriously you guys have a bunch of cool ideas for the professor, like the codecs and all ! I actually read both threads in one or two weeks, yeah I’m crazy.

However, there isn’t much support for Layton on my thread : we’re only a few french supporters of the gentleman… (at least on jeuvideo.com) It looks like Layton has much more support on SmashBoards so it’s why I came here. But anyways, we have to believe in his chances ! Imo he could totally be the 4th or 5th DLC. He has everything a Smash character needs to have, except maybe a sufficient popularity. Let’s just hope that Level-5 shows something about him : the leaked remasters on Switch, a new game… Anything as long as we get new Layton content.

Oh and what exactly are these « color » and « companion » theories you’re talking about ? It looks interesting !

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

So Professor Layton is also my most wanted DLC character for Ultimate. Back in Smash 4 I didn’t vote for him in the ballot because at the time there weren’t new Layton games for a few years so I didn’t really think of him as a likely fighter. But I’m actually a huge fan of the series since the Curious Village in 2008 ! I bought all the games and now I fully regret not to have voted Layton in the ballot, because I realize he really has a lot of potential to be in Smash.

One year ago I made a thread about Layton on jeuvideo.com http://www.jeuxvideo.com/forums/42-...ree-du-molentary-express-a-destination-de.htm (I’m Swiss so it’s in french, sorry…) and I included some of my ideas like a trailer, a moveset, a stage, musics, an assist trophy, spirit battles and an echo. I also posted some elements I found interesting in this thread and in the one you did for Layton in Smash 4... Seriously you guys have a bunch of cool ideas for the professor, like the codecs and all ! I actually read both threads in one or two weeks, yeah I’m crazy.

However, there isn’t much support for Layton on my thread : we’re only a few french supporters of the gentleman… (at least on jeuvideo.com) It looks like Layton has much more support on SmashBoards so it’s why I came here. But anyways, we have to believe in his chances ! Imo he could totally be the 4th or 5th DLC. He has everything a Smash character needs to have, except maybe a sufficient popularity. Let’s just hope that Level-5 shows something about him : the leaked remasters on Switch, a new game… Anything as long as we get new Layton content.

Oh and what exactly are these « color » and « companion » theories you’re talking about ? It looks interesting !
Hey there Matthjass Matthjass welcome to Smashboards, I've added you to the supporters list too.

We're happy to hear that you have been an avid supporter for the Prof for so long, He also seemed to have been a popular request back during the Smash 4 day's, most particularly in Europe so don't worry too much about the ballot.

Unfortunately I'm unable to read French but I'm sure you've had a lot of great idea's for the Prof over there, its great that you've been campaigning for him too.
Hah, the codec's have been a bit of a silly side project looking back, but I'm happy that you still enjoyed them.

Support for Layton has been quite mellow for the Prof these days. Especially compared to the smash 4 day's. Though I'm assuming that has probably more to do with the fact that the series itself has been taking things a bit slow these days. With the next entry still being unknown to us at the moment. A lot of fans did come out of the woodworks to support the Prof during the E3 Direct so its reassuring to know that there is still a lot of interest for him to join the roster regardless.

In regards to the Color/Rainbow and companion theories.
People have noticed that the current DLC characters on the official website are represented with the following colours.
Piranha Plant = Green
Joker = Red
Hero = Purple
Banjo & Kazooie = Yellow

These are the main colours of the Rainbow with only Orange and Blue missing. So some are speculating that whoever the final two characters are, they will most likely be represented and related with those two colours. Thankfully, orange fits Professor Layton very well. With Blue being able to work for Phoenix Wright as well.

The companion theory is more due to a set of coincidences found with the current three DLC characters and that they are joined with another character along with them, most notably in the mural, but also in their taunts and whatnot.
Piranha Plant is seen watering a Pikmin, (a bit more of a stretch for this one)
Joker is joined by Morgana
Hero is joined by Slime
Banjo is joined by Kazooie.

So some are speculating that the final two characters might also be joined along with a companion of some sort by their side.
Layton also thankfully has Luke by his side, who I can see showing up in his taunts and victory screen.
Phoenix also has Maya along with him too, and I think he used her as part of his moveset in that Capcom fighting game too....

I think that's more or less the general gist from what I understood.
Maybe its for the best not to get your hopes up with these theories, but still, its something for now I suppose....

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Welcome to the thread! Your support is very welcome and I hope you stick around.

At this point Yo-Kai Watch is dying out even in Japan, while Layton has worldwide popularity. I don't think Jibanyan is any competition.

Welcome to you as well! Curious Villager Curious Villager beat me to it, but yeah, those theories are just stuff that sprung up in the Smash fandom. It helps our case quite a bunch, but it's better not to hang out hopes on them (much).

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Something interesting about the color theory is that each color revealed has contrasted with the other on a wheel. Green and red. Yellow and purple. And now in theory Orange and Blue. Again it's a crazy theory that's mostly for fun, but when you consider how Phoenix and Layton would make a wonderful dual reveal it does get to be a bit exciting.

Matthjass

Smash Cadet
NNID
MathsJass
3DS FC
0602-7469-3826
Switch FC
SW 8578 0545 0012
Curious Villager Curious Villager Thanks for adding me to the list, that makes us almost 40 times more numerous than the supporters on jeuvideo.com ! XD

I have some free time now so I'll try to translate my main ideas on Layton so you can read it as well !

Yeah I found the codecs really cool, sometimes touching and sometimes absolutely hilarious... XD My favorite ones were the Bowser / Ice Climbers / Meta Knight / Pit / Lucas / Wii Fit Trainer / Sonic ones.

I agree, the lack of Layton presence these days doesn't play in his favor... Although we had the Lady Layton anime last year, at least. I find it pretty cool by the way, I'm currently watching it and I'm at the 18th episode. A few days ago I found this (I don't remember seeing it on this thread) : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2019/24/5/1560545302-screenshot-2019-06-14-08-09-50.png It's Master Hand and Crazy Hand on the book ! Nah just kidding, I just found the picture funny. x)

Oh I see... I didn't pay attention to these details but the two theories are pretty interesting. Yeah they really don't prove that Layton and Wright will be the 4th and 5th DLC (if that ends up being the case I'm having a heart attack). But for me that just makes two more arguments for Layton, who already has a lot of them. We must stay realistic but we also can't lose hope until the last DLC reveal.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If Layton and Phoenix were revealed together I would probably cry.
I honestly don't know what I would do, these two characters are literally my most wanted characters for this game. If we by some miracle really got them both in. I'd probably cry as well.

The fact that they managed to dodge so many bullets from the game's reveal up to now and the many potential hints that could lead to them...

Somewhere I want Vergeben or whoever to just put me out of my misery but at the same time. If we really are getting both these characters, then I think I'd rather keep it all a surprise.

Here's hoping for the best, everyone...

Curious Villager Curious Villager Thanks for adding me to the list, that makes us almost 40 times more numerous than the supporters on jeuvideo.com ! XD

I have some free time now so I'll try to translate my main ideas on Layton so you can read it as well !

Yeah I found the codecs really cool, sometimes touching and sometimes absolutely hilarious... XD My favorite ones were the Bowser / Ice Climbers / Meta Knight / Pit / Lucas / Wii Fit Trainer / Sonic ones.

I agree, the lack of Layton presence these days doesn't play in his favor... Although we had the Lady Layton anime last year, at least. I find it pretty cool by the way, I'm currently watching it and I'm at the 18th episode. A few days ago I found this (I don't remember seeing it on this thread) : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2019/24/5/1560545302-screenshot-2019-06-14-08-09-50.png It's Master Hand and Crazy Hand on the book ! Nah just kidding, I just found the picture funny. x)

Oh I see... I didn't pay attention to these details but the two theories are pretty interesting. Yeah they really don't prove that Layton and Wright will be the 4th and 5th DLC (if that ends up being the case I'm having a heart attack). But for me that just makes two more arguments for Layton, who has already a lot of them. We must stay realistic but we also can't lose hope until the last DLC reveal.
Oh I'm happy to hear that, I looked through your thread and I believe you did translate some of these. I don't remember what I wrote for them, but eitherway, I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Hah, that's really cool, would be neat if that was a hint, like the supposed upside down Smash symbol in Curious Village HD but yeah, most likely means nothing.

Yeah, their just little things to note of for now I guess. We probably won't have any concrete answers unless Datamines spill the beans again or some reliable insiders say something.

Last edited:

Matthjass

Smash Cadet
NNID
MathsJass
3DS FC
0602-7469-3826
Switch FC
SW 8578 0545 0012
Curious Villager Curious Villager Yeah I translated my favorite codecs, but unfortunately practically nobody is reading them. :/ Too bad because it’s such a fun idea...

About this color theory… Let’s suppose it’s true. We first had a secondary color (Piranha Plant), then a primary one (Joker), then a secondary color again (Hero), then a primary one again (Banjo). The next color should be the last secondary one : orange... That means Layton might be the next DLC ! (Even though if Layton and Wright are indeed the last DLCs I think they will be announced at the same time…)

Alright, so here are my main ideas for Layton. I will only post the ones I don’t remember seeing on this thread. Tell me if you don't understand something, I am not used to speak english... ^^'

(Note : I wrote this text one year ago, a few weeks before the E3 2018.)

The Molentary Express will now enter the station...

Those are the words a man heard while he was waiting at a train station in London. The person took the strange letter he received a few days before out of his pocket. He didn't know who was the sender, but the content of the letter clearly showed the sender knew who he was. The sender also told him to take the Molentary on june 12 in the morning : a ticket for the travel was attached to the letter. Surprised, the man followed these indications and entered the train. He then faced a door with something on it : « Entry for guests only » The man hesitated a while, wondering if he had the necessary permissions to keep going. He looked closer at the door and saw the same cross symbol as the one on his letter : he was at the right place. He decided to enter.

There were a lot of people in this car and the seats looked pretty comfortable. The man then noticed a bunch of strange individuals. First he saw two sleeping kids with a blue and a pink anorak. In the middle hallway a blond haired boy was playing with another boy with a red shirt. Further, a beautiful black haired lady was nonchalantly lounging. And even further, a man with military attire was chatting with a... humanoid wolf ?! Our man was puzzled as soon as he saw other strange creatures like turtles, monkeys and even a blue hedgehog... But eventually he reached his seat. In front of him a young lady in sportswear was trying to carry her heavy bags in the luggage rack above her. Our gentleman quickly offered her his help, that she willingly accepted. The two people then sat down while the train was leaving.

??? : Thanks for helping me, it's very kind of you.
The man : All the pleasure is for me...
??? : I'm Daisy. Are you also a newcommer ?
The man : Well… I guess we can say so. (What does she mean by "newcommer" ?...)
??? : Don't worry, you'll quickly get used to it.
??? : After all, we also arrive only recently...
??? : Oh but I forgot to introduce myself. I am Robin.
??? : And I am Corrin.
The man : Nice to meet you…
:ultdaisy: : By the way, what's your name ?
The man : Oh forgive my manners, I'm confused... My name is-
??? : We don't care about who your are.

The person who roughly interrupted the conversation of the quatuor was standing next to them and looked nastily at the man. For an unknown reason he didn't seem to like him. However our man stayed calm and waited to see how things would turn.

??? : You look pretty weak... Are you sure you've been invited here ? Furthermore it looks like you don't even come from Nintendo...
:ultrobin:: Ike… You could be more friendly.
:ultcorrinf:: Imagine yourself in his place.
:ultike:: Quiet, you two. Don't forget I am the elder here. The boss should have exiled you since the last game... Unlike you I have charisme and I come from a real game, not a waifu simulator.
:ultcorrinf:: You know, charisme doesn't matter for the boss.
:ultrobin:: We all know the major selection criteria is the originality of gameplay, and at this level we're far better than the poor swordfighter you are.
:ultike: : What did you just s-
:ultrobin: : Back to our man here. He could just show us his invitation and that would prove he earns his place among us.
:ultike: : Pff, every tourist can show up with a fake invitation. It's not because this "gentleman" has a little piece of paper that his arrival here is authorized.
:ultcorrinf:: Well I don't see why he would lie to us. Anyways, if that was the case we will figure it out when :ultrob: will perform the identity checks.
:ultike:: It won't be necessary. I'm going to check it now, it will be faster. Hey you, prepare yourself ! I'll rate your strength.
:ultdaisy: : No Ike, wait !

Too late. The swordfighter threw his blade, caught it in the air and attacked the man with all his strength. The impact was violent and created a lot of smoke. The first voice that sounded in that mess was the one of the train driver.

:ulttoonlink: : What's going on ?! Shouted Toon Link through the speaker. I forbade you to fight in the train you idiots !
:ultike:: Uh, not this annoying kid again...

The mercenary looked at the seat in front of him. His attack completely destroyed it. But the man was not here ! Ike turned around and saw him a few meter further, unscathed.

:ultike: : How did you dodge my attack ?...

The man : I don't usually choose the path of the fight... But it is time to make things clear, once it for all. He pointed his finger towards Ike. I am Hershel Layton and I think I solved this case !

Ftilt : Layton takes a piece puzzle out of his coat and uses it to smash the face of the opponent ; if the move reaches someone, the puzzle breaks into pieces and there is some ending lag.

Dtilt : He bends down and throws a die who quickly disappears. The move can trip someone up.

Dash : He does the sword move he did just before Anton went crazy in Pandora Box.

Nair : He takes the Pandora Box out of his coat and opens it. A light emerges and shines all around him. It’s a multi-hit like :ultpalutena:’s Uair.

Uair : He takes of his hat and uses it to hit above him. During the move he keeps an arm on his head so we can’t see what’s below his hat.

Up Smash : It would be funny if he does something like Hisoka in here : https://youtu.be/8PvGFPYnJXo?t=32 (because you know there are often cards in Layton puzzles)

Neutral B : He throws a chess piece. When Layton does the move for the 33th time, he throws a chess board instead, which is much more powerful.

Down B : He bends down to hide one of his puzzles in the ground. (there can only be one buried puzzle at a time) It works like :ultsnake:’s C4, but when Layton activates the puzzle, it stuns the opponent above it. The stun duration varies according to the difficulty of the puzzle.

Final Smash : Well of course it’s the puzzle solving animation ! The closest you are from Layton’s finger, the farthest you get launched. Layton can also cancel the move and do the incorrect puzzle solving animation. In that case all opponents in the air turn into helpless state.

Victory Pose : He sits in a sumptuous armchair and silently drinks tea. (it would be so disrespectful lol)

There is also that video I recently saw : https://youtu.be/8G_879311lY It's a fun animation of what his special moves could be !

The Azran Sanctuary ! http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2018/21/7/1527456450-maxresdefault-2.jpg

It’s funny because I actually imagined the stage and then one year later I see someone on SmashBoards already thought of an Azran Sanctuary stage... But I think mine is a bit different.

So we begin in the room on the picture above. The blastzones on the left and on the right are pretty closed, the fire of the torchlights hurts and the stairs can collapse like the bridge on :ultpalutena:'s Temple. One of the two following events occurs after 40 seconds :
- The water level ascends and submerges the lower part of the stage. The torchlights go out and become platforms.
- The camera of the stage turns of 90 degrees left or right. The two torchlights are now aligned with the boat to the left or to the right. This stage event references the fact that we often have to turn things in Layton puzzles.

40 seconds later, a big platform appears in the middle of the stage and takes the fighters somewhere else. Then… https://youtu.be/6ozSGz3of1A?t=1m8s Everybody is now outside on the ancient azran flying machine. The platform can lean to the right or to the left like Vah Medoh from Zelda BOTW. On the ground we can see some cities and village : Kodh, Froenburg, the place with the bad guys in Azran Legacy but I don't know the english name lol, and why not even St-Mystere, Folsense, Misthallery and Monte d'or. The Bostonius sometimes flies in the sky.

Then, 20 seconds later, some azran golems appear in the background and shoot their deadly lasers ! The lasers shine on the fighters for a few seconds and then boom, they are heavily ejected. The attack of the golems finishes after 20 seconds. Eventually the ground collapses and the fighters are back in the first room.

This place is very important in Azran Legacy, highlights the archeologist side of the professor and gives a good impression of the ambiance of the series, so that is why I chose this stage.

Well I guess we all know which musics Layton can bring in Smash... But we can also have some medleys, like one for the puzzle themes and another for the main themes. I tried to do both if you want to hear it : https://youtu.be/1_pzqEbuEnU and https://youtu.be/cyeYgo91JzI

The Masked Gentleman from Miracle Mask !

First he appears on the stage and says « 1, 2, 3, 4, did you miss me, Monte d’or ? » (fun fact : in French each time the MG appears he only says 3 numbers), then he flies around with his wings.

Next he says « 5, 6, 7, 8, no one can escape their fate. » and does one of the following actions :
- He turns some fighters into rock ; they become metallic.
- He throws two smoke bombs.
- He makes everybody fly ; the gravity effect is reduced.

Eventually the MG says « 9, 10, 11, 12, just how deep do you want to delve ? » and spills a sand avalanche on the stage. It does no knockback but it deals a lot of damage.

If Layton is in a team battle and if the Masked Gentleman appears, he tells the professor his team should be worried because he « heard Layton has a history of letting his friends down. »...

Here are some spirit battles I imagined… You can try to figure out the references !

Stage : Ferox Arena. Opponent : Team :ultrob: with killing edges. Opponent often use side special attacks. Ally : Violet :ultroy:. Items : Traps.
Stage : Castle Dracula without stage hazards. Opponent : Violet :ultmarth:. Ally : :ultlucina:. Poisoned air. Stamina Battle.
Stage : Fountain of Dream. Opponent : Giant :ultgnw:. Ally : Giant blue :ultkingdedede:. Items : Assist Trophy Ashley. Fog.
Stage : Find Mii. Opponent : :ultbayonetta1:. Ally : Yellow :ultinkling:.
Stage : :npc: without stage hazards. Opponent : Team :ultsnake: with Nintendo scopes. Ally : :ultlink: and blue :ultyounglink:.
Stage : Unova Pokemon League. Opponent : :ultrobin:. Item : Assist Trophy Black Knight.
Stage : :smashville:. Opponent : :ultdoc:. Items : Motion-Sensor Bombs.
Stage : Mushroom Kingdom II. Opponents : :ultwolf:, :ultjigglypuff: and :ultivysaur:. Free for All. (that one is pretty difficult lol)

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Matthjass Matthjass Oh that quite unfortunate. I am happy that you enjoyed them eitherway.

You've got some nice idea's there, very well done.

As for your spirit battle idea's.
I'm assuming the first one are the robot armours from the Ace Attorney crossover
2nd one, Anton
3rd one, the Specter
4th one is that witch lady from the crossover, forgot her name, and espella.
5th one is Targent

The last three escape me, memories of the series is kinda foggy lately, should probably replay them.
Those are nice idea's though.

By the way, this just came up.

Looks like we might finally get some Layton news soon. Or at least, a confirmation of the English localization of the anime or the release of Pandora's Box HD (or both) maybe...

Also Xander Mobus (The voice of the announcer in Smash Ultimate) is apparently showing up there. Someone ask him to shout "Professor Layton" for us if he does requested voice lines lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom