• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

the Prince of Altea

Sauron_The_Great

Smash Apprentice
NNID
drewsauron
Sauron_The_Great submitted a new guide:

the Prince of Altea - kickin @$$ with Marth

Marth- he's top tier, quick, is a good choice for rookies, and has a great move set, but it's hard to get really good at him. For Starters, here's a list of Pros and Cons:
Pros:
Fast
spaces like nobody's business
quick 4-hit combo with the dancing blade without much vulnerability if you input the right combo or cancel mid-move.
Great Throws and combos.
good spike with dair if tipped
Fair and Nair are fast and combo easily
D-tilt edgeguards well
Smashes are fairly strong if tippered.
Counter is...
Read more about this guide...

djmath

Smash Apprentice
great guide. 10/10. 100% accurate and new info. Changed my life. would read again

Gannonspetmoblin

Smash Apprentice
Why do all the newer players make guides and not the veterans? Perhaps Socrates knows.
"This man, on one hand, believes that he knows something, while not knowing (anything). On the other hand, I — equally ignorant — do not believe (that I know anything)"

I mean gj putting yourself out there and everything, Sauron, but you should really have a broader knowledge base before you disseminate your thoughts on Marth in a guide.

Edit: I'll give you constructive criticism because I enjoy setting people back on the straight and narrow.

quick 4-hit combo with the dancing blade without much vulnerability if you input the right combo or cancel mid-move
Not quick, not really a combo if they DI, pretty vulnerable. Sometimes I can get all 4 upward hits of it on Falcon and lead it into other things, but that's definitely not a staple in his game

mindgames like a boss
Huh? Not particularly more or less than the rest of the cast AFAIK (actually I'd probably say less)

Counter is easily punished
Which is why the Marth metagame features almost no counters, which makes this a non-issue

Dolphin slash has bad horizontal reach and easily punished.
Once again, is why you stick with your other, better options 95% of the time

he cant rack up damage without tipping.
Against non-fastfallers, non-tippered fair is more likely to combo than tippered unless they're low on damage. Nair (apparently) has no real "tipper" and his grabs obviously don't tip. And anyways, is that even a con? It's pretty easy to hit with the tip of his sword.

Bad matchups vs top tiers characters
Huh? Sure, Sheik sucks to fight against, but fox and falco are fine and marth gives jiggs a hard time if the puff doesn't know what they're doing (and there's what, 5 good puffs out there?) Peach is in his favor, I'd argue Falcon is in his favor and most people would argue Icies are in his favor as well (I'm super biased though because me vs icies is insanely in the icies' favor)

I don't think Marth has a hard time against Young Link, Marth can outrun him and swat away his projectiles without much problem.

He is limited by a lack of a projectile and tipper
What even does this mean

Standard attack combo
Ftilt- dash attack- nair/fair.
Ken Combo
Dsmash-u-tilt-u-air.
Standard attack combo = A + A + A +...? Terrible combo
Ftilt to dash attack? I feel like at any %, with any DI, this will never combo
Ken Combo: Why not explain that this is a string of fairs to dair? The audience might not know what this is. If they do know what a Ken Combo is, why bother listing it in a guide in the first place?
Dsmash + utilt + uair: Once again, does this even hit? You'd need a fastfaller at mid % to DI the dsmash in, this is such a specific combo, and if you miss the Dsmash you'll get hella punished.

Overall, this isn't a guide, it's a list of pros/cons. It's not really well thought out, it's lacking in info, the formatting and editing are poor, you'd really do well to play and study the game a lot more before you try to make yourself an authority on the subject.

Sorry if this was a little harsh but I like to tell it like it is and I'm an asshole anyways, this is probably what everyone reading your guide is thinking anyhow. Better luck next time.

Last edited:

Sauron_The_Great

Smash Apprentice
NNID
drewsauron
Sorry. About the combos: tippered ftilt to dash should be tippered fsmash to dash attack sorry. ken Combo most people know how to do, and I mena an uncharged dsmash to uair. The dolphin slash comment was to talk about his recovery. thanks for the comments.

townes

Smash Apprentice
Fsmash tipped or not does not combo into dash attack ever. You're making a guide so you can't fill it with basic info and then leave out exactly how to do the ken combo otherwise why make a guide. Ken combo is really important and there are dozens of different variations nowadays. Dsmash in any way shape or form will never combo into uair or probably anything else for that matter. And yes, dolphin slash goes up not sideways. You got that one.

Gannonspetmoblin

Smash Apprentice
Dsmash in any way shape or form will never combo into uair or probably anything else for that matter.
Ok, I'm gonna play devil's advocate and sort of call you out here, only because earlier I said dsmash would combo. I took a video of me getting dsmash to uair. Keep in mind the CPU had to DI in and it only worked at this percentage on falco, trying it above 45% on fox and falcon did not work at all. Also, you obviously can't see from the video but falco can jump just a couple frames after I hit him. In other words, it's still a terrible combo and will probably never be done in competitive smash (I think it took me about 10 minutes to get this combo off...)

Also it bears mentioning that the "standard attack combo" or jab attack only combos at high percentages and will only get a 2 hit combo with neutral DI before the enemy is pushed too far away. If the opponent is against a wall and DIs down you can get more hits in, but if your opponent is that dumb, you've already won.

Sauron_The_Great

Smash Apprentice
NNID
drewsauron
Fsmash tipped or not does not combo into dash attack ever. You're making a guide so you can't fill it with basic info and then leave out exactly how to do the ken combo otherwise why make a guide. Ken combo is really important and there are dozens of different variations nowadays. Dsmash in any way shape or form will never combo into uair or probably anything else for that matter. And yes, dolphin slash goes up not sideways. You got that one.
Look, ken combo is the simple f air sequence into dair. Fsmash to dash attack is easy if timed correctly, or if your opponent recovers right into the dash. I can do this easily vs. Fox or Falco.

Gannonspetmoblin

Smash Apprentice
Look, ken combo is the simple f air sequence into dair. Fsmash to dash attack is easy if timed correctly, or if your opponent recovers right into the dash. I can do this easily vs. Fox or Falco.
Fsmash to dash attack is never a combo, period. If your opponent is dumb enough to get hit by those attacks in succession, it's because your opponent is dumb, not because you have a foolproof combo. Combos require your opponent to be in hitstun the entire time.

townes

Smash Apprentice
Go into training mode. Do your fsmash to dash attack and come back and tell us what the 'consecutive hits' says. Or I can save you the time by letting you know that the number will be 1. Because the hitstun from fsmash will never in any case on any character be so long that you can get a dash attack to hit guaranteed to follow up. Guides are appreciated generally, but you have to play marth like every day for a couple years or at least go wreck face with him in tourney before you'll probably have any new solid advice to give on him. Literally everything you mentioned here that wasn't blatantly wrong is already easily accessible in various forms on the stickies. And i'm butthurt.

Boomy

Smash Apprentice
Without intentionally trying to be toxic, I think mods should do this guy a favor, delete this, and prevent further embarassment. Whether he's trolling or not, this is a place where people are trying to learn, and not only is this a waste of time and space, it's misleading.

Sauron_The_Great

Smash Apprentice
NNID
drewsauron
Go into training mode. Do your fsmash to dash attack and come back and tell us what the 'consecutive hits' says. Or I can save you the time by letting you know that the number will be 1. Because the hitstun from fsmash will never in any case on any character be so long that you can get a dash attack to hit guaranteed to follow up. Guides are appreciated generally, but you have to play marth like every day for a couple years or at least go wreck face with him in tourney before you'll probably have any new solid advice to give on him. Literally everything you mentioned here that wasn't blatantly wrong is already easily accessible in various forms on the stickies. And i'm butthurt.
Yeah, I haven't played for a while and i really just combo whatever i can, so it' not like i'm Ken or anything.

Top Bottom