• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The portrayal of LGBTQ characters

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
No the point was that there are no gay guys playing the roles of anything but the stereotypical ******s.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
*Grey's Anatomy
*Skins
*United States of Tara

These all beg to differ.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
You're still missing the point... :054:
I'm kinda confused now. You said that gay guys only get cast for flamboyant gay roles, right? I believe Nathan Lane is a decent counterpoint to that since he's gay and is in a fair number of roles that aren't FAAAAAABULOUSLY gay.

Not to mention Ian Mckellan though he's been brought up already.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Yeah I'm pretty confused. I've countered everything you said, so whatever your point is, it must not be something you've actually said yet...

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I'm kinda confused now. You said that gay guys only get cast for flamboyant gay roles, right? I believe Nathan Lane is a decent counterpoint to that since he's gay and is in a fair number of roles that aren't FAAAAAABULOUSLY gay.
Thank you. Also, let's not forget Neil Patrick Harris. ♥

Zero_Saber

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I'm pretty confused. I've countered everything you said, so whatever your point is, it must not be something you've actually said yet...
So I don't agree with him but his argument is that if a gay actor plays a gay character then they are always flamboyant. Not that all gay actors are forced to play gay characters, but that when they do they play flamboyant homosexual's rather then non-flamboyant homosexuals. I think it's a stupid distinction to make, and can probably be dis proven with some more research, but I don't know where to start.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So I don't agree with him but his argument is that if a gay actor plays a gay character then they are always flamboyant. Not that all gay actors are forced to play gay characters, but that when they do they play flamboyant homosexual's rather then non-flamboyant homosexuals. I think it's a stupid distinction to make, and can probably be dis proven with some more research, but I don't know where to start.
Okay, I totally get it now. I'll be honest, I currently cannot think of any examples off the top of my head where an actual gay actor playing a gay character hasn't portrayed said character as flamboyant.

Top Bottom