• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Polyglot Thread

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
It's safe to say we're all big Smash Bros nerds and/or gaming fanatics in general.

I'm curious how many of you guys are also language nerds, so I thought I'd make this thread as I couldn't see another elsewhere. Maybe we can find language practice buddies to nerd out with.

It's safe to assume that we all understand English, the primary language of the site.

My question for those interested, what languages do you speak and what languages are you interested in?

Personally I'm fluent in French and would love to learn a third language. I'm interested in Spanish, German and Japanese, struggling to decide on which to commit to :chuckle:

D

Deleted member

Oooooh, this thread could be quite fun.

You know, I am a native spanish speaker who has English as their secondary language. Also know a bit of french and chinese.

Would love to learn Japanese and Catalan.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Oooooh, this thread could be quite fun.

You know, I am a native spanish speaker who has English as their secondary language. Also know a bit of french and chinese.

Would love to learn Japanese and Catalan.
Ahh cool! How much Chinese have you learnt? I tried for a couple of months way back in 2016 but the four vocal tones of Mandarin made it just too hard for oral comprehension so I switched to French haha.

It was a cool language though and I remember the grammar being surprisingly straight forward.

D

Deleted member

Ahh cool! How much Chinese have you learnt? I tried for a couple of months way back in 2016 but the four vocal tones of Mandarin made it just too hard for oral comprehension so I switched to French haha.

It was a cool language though and I remember the grammar being surprisingly straight forward.
I know very basic stuff. Some food and drinks, various ways of greeting people and asking them about their day and life, countries and such.

And yeah, the grammar is very straight forward funnily enough. Was surprised when I started learning It.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Japanese is a mother to learn. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you don’t mind losing your sanity.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I tried learning Spanish in school. I was awful at it. Maybe it was just the teachers/environment, though.

If I could learn something new I would probably go with ASL or something non-Romantic (do want to learn Spanish and French one day I just need a break after like 10 years of zero progress in school)

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Ooh now this is the thread for me! I know English, Spanish, and French, and I'm always itching to learn more. It's tough, but learning new languages is so fun and honestly really fulfilling. Makes me feel more connected to the world somehow.

I recommend Spanish to anyone willing to learn. Not only is it mega useful in the USA, but it's the only language I've ever seen where the written version is pronounced exactly as its written. 99% of the time, every letter makes the same sound every time, and you only have to pay attention to stress syllables, and thank goodness for that.

fripp

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
NAIL#187
3DS FC
2252-1766-2463
I've been studying German for about two years now, and I really like the flow of it compared to English. Considering learning Spanish as well, since so many people speak it where I'm from. Though, I'm not a huge fan of how Romance languages feel on the tongue... Slavic and Germanic languages are a bit more satisfying to speak in for me, I guess?

D

Deleted member

If it counts, I've been studying Japanese myself. Not enough to speak fluently unfortunately, it's just a hobby of mine. (I did get taught words like "itadakimasu", "Tanabanta", "yukata", "mochi", "mushi-pan" and "hanami" from "Alice's Wonderland Bakery", of all places, due to the Mad Hatter's descendants somehow becoming Japanese)

Lioncache

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
LION#321
learning languages is so cool... unbelievable amounts of jenny say quoi every time i see a calque used in mysterious ways...

Top Bottom