• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Pokkendex: The Attack Triangle

Smashboards has a new Pokken Tournament dedicated forum, check it out here
Recently, Youtuber One Hit Smash alongside others released a new project called "The Pokkendex", which is a channel dedicated to the new Tekken-style fighting game, Pokken Tournament.

In his first video, One Hit Smash explains the "Attack Triangle", which consists of Attacking, Counter Attacking, and Grabbing. He explains the upsides and downsides of every part of the triangle along with a few techs that may help throw out your opponent.

What do you think? Do you plan on playing Pokken? If you have already played it, what are yout thoughts on it? Let us know! You can follow One Hit Smash on his Twitter @OHKOSSB, and The Pokkendex @ThePokkendex.

Don't forget, Smashboards recently launched a Pokken Tournament dedicated forum, you can check it out right here for more information on Pokken Tournament.

Mario "Diosdi" Osuna

Comments

Aside from the off-topic comments that doesn't help this game's meta, this is a tip that shouldn't be skipped over or you'll be free wins online.

Last edited:
If your keyboard is set to US-International you can press the ' key followed by the vowel and you can set the accent: á, é, í, ó, ú. Otherwise you would use ALT and a numeric code combination.
Assuming you have a Windows box. My Linux distro doesn't do alt+whatever (at least not when set to English-US). I don't know what the equivalent is, or even if there is one. I have to pull up the special character map. Not that I could ever remember the Windows codes either, I had to Google it and it was never on the first result.

I immortalblood
True that, I can see it being a great entry level fighter for newcomers of the genre.

And wow... I forgot about renting games! Good call.
Here I am with a no refund $65 digital copy heh.

Why not? it's basically another Nintendo fighting game but with a Pokemon-only theme to it. Not like they'll make these boards Pokemon all of the sudden.
Bu...bu...but it'll distract discussion away from Smash!!! That's bad!!! And.... ::jams finger into the bridge of the glasses dramatically:: ...it's called Smashboards, not Pokkenboards!

::feels superior due to rekting with neckbeard logic::

Its like going to a furniture store and seeing them selling fish
Like this?

In the end, does it really matter if Smashbords features coverage in other related games? When it comes down to it, it doesn't matter and doesn't hurt anybody. There were people ******** about Smashboards covering Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, and Splatoon but nothing bad came from it.

I say the News section should feature articles related to Nintendo as a whole instead of just focusing on Smash.

Last edited:
Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
Toilets aren't furniture... and you won't generally find them in furniture stores. So maybe he should have said, it's like walking into a furniture store and finding toilets.

:: Pushes in glasses and strokes the neckbeard I wish I had for this moment but don't, because I own an electric razor::

Last edited:
Its like going to a furniture store and seeing them selling fish
This is the same mentality people that hate 3rd parties in a "Nintendo-only fighting game" use. Not everyone on this board limits themself to just Smash, much less shun all other facets of Nintendo-based series/discussion (plus we have other partner sites, like Squidboards).

Not only does the site fully support the Pokkén community/scene, but we've done so since the pre-release days (this is far from the first article for it, to boot).

If you don't like it, that's fine. Different strokes and all of that. But at the same time, you could just not comment in articles like this.

Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
Toilets aren't furniture... and you won't generally find them in furniture stores. So maybe he should have said, it's like walking into a furniture store and finding toilets.

:: Pushes in glasses and strokes the neckbeard I wish I had for this moment but don't, because I own an electric razor::
Sometimes but I digress...I only added that as an aquarium toilet is both awesome and cruel awesome for humans and cruel for the little fishies.

Assuming you have a Windows box. My Linux distro doesn't do alt+whatever (at least not when set to English-US). I don't know what the equivalent is, or even if there is one. I have to pull up the special character map. Not that I could ever remember the Windows codes either, I had to Google it and it was never on the first result.
Depends on the Linux Distro I'd imagine. I recall that I used to set it to US-International on Ubuntu install so the option to change it must be in the settings for that distro. As for Mac, hold down the Option Key followed by the 'E' and then input a vowel.

Last edited:
Attack Triangle is certainly the most important aspect of pokken's gameplay, but there will be articles that will also come in handy,

I won't doubt that the folks in Pokkén Arena will have plenty of info regarding the other aspects... especially hidden things like a damage cap for theoretical offenses, and hidden effects in the Duel Phase's high and low stances for each fighter.

it does bother me there are still S**t disturbers making a negative comment and deciding to push the buttons of whoever disagrees... it's one thing to have a negative opinion, but it's another to intentionally screw with people... and frankly, these "warnings" aren't doing anything to stop them.

Last edited:
Good, been playing Pokkén (seriously, people, it's Pokkén, not Pokken. Sorry, it just bothers me), so this will probably end up helpful. I ought to keep an eye on this.

The attack triangle is pretty straightforward overall, but I still see counters getting beat by attacks, attacks by grabs and grabs by counters every once in a while when I feel like they shouldn't, so I wonder what's up with that.
Get bothered weeb.

People talking about not playing the wakeup game just to get chip damage? Are these guys for real? Like CADC isn't a thing.
If you're standing there eating chip while you have movement options to bypass that, you're just bad.
The things you read on Smashboards...

*que Negatibe Nancies to come in and comment how this has nothing to do with Smash Bros. thus not newsworthy enough to be featured on this site*

Glad to see the news section focusing on something other than Smash. I miss these type of articles.
this right here. I miss the Weekly Nintendo news even.

like it or not folks Smash is a Nintendo franchise so any news connected to other Nintendo series with competitive depth is fair game.

Top Bottom