• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Pokkendex: The Attack Triangle

Smashboards has a new Pokken Tournament dedicated forum, check it out here
Recently, Youtuber One Hit Smash alongside others released a new project called "The Pokkendex", which is a channel dedicated to the new Tekken-style fighting game, Pokken Tournament.

In his first video, One Hit Smash explains the "Attack Triangle", which consists of Attacking, Counter Attacking, and Grabbing. He explains the upsides and downsides of every part of the triangle along with a few techs that may help throw out your opponent.

What do you think? Do you plan on playing Pokken? If you have already played it, what are yout thoughts on it? Let us know! You can follow One Hit Smash on his Twitter @OHKOSSB, and The Pokkendex @ThePokkendex.

Don't forget, Smashboards recently launched a Pokken Tournament dedicated forum, you can check it out right here for more information on Pokken Tournament.

Mario "Diosdi" Osuna

Comments

Cool video! I'm really glad that Pokken is being welcomed by the Smash community! It's such a fun game and I think it has a really bright competitive future.

Good, been playing Pokkén (seriously, people, it's Pokkén, not Pokken. Sorry, it just bothers me), so this will probably end up helpful. I ought to keep an eye on this.

The attack triangle is pretty straightforward overall, but I still see counters getting beat by attacks, attacks by grabs and grabs by counters every once in a while when I feel like they shouldn't, so I wonder what's up with that.

Last edited:
L Laggalot101 the interesting part of the attack triangle is that some moves like lucario's extreme speed actually register as counters. So, a throw would beat it. In other words, some characters have alternate ways of using each pert of the triangle.

*que Negatibe Nancies to come in and comment how this has nothing to do with Smash Bros. thus not newsworthy enough to be featured on this site*

Glad to see the news section focusing on something other than Smash. I miss these type of articles.

Not everyone knows how to do the fancy "é" I had to copy and paste just to prove my point. People call pokémon "pokemon" still so I don't think it really matters tbh.
what you call a "fancy é" is actually not in the english vocabulary. I can do it because i have a spanish keyboard, but it is true. I know it is Pokkén and Pokémon; but the fancy e is not in the english vocabulary

Pokken is already starting to get boring for me. I am quite positive smash 4 will long outlast pokken, it was kinda fun for a bit.
But once you have a full grasp of the game and the characters, it gets meh real fast. When you go back to playing smash it feels really good imo

Last edited:
Pokken is already starting to get boring for me. I am quite positive smash 4 will long outlast pokken, it was kinda fun for a bit.
But once you have a full grasp of the game and the characters, it gets meh real fast. When you go back to playing smash it feels really good imo
You gotta play longer than a few days to get a full grasp on the game bro, it's not that accessible.

Cool video! I'm really glad that Pokken is being welcomed by the Smash community! It's such a fun game and I think it has a really bright competitive future.
If your a fighting game enthusiast pokken is going to get boring real fast. The game IS different and kinda neat at first. But once you get all the games fundamentals down really well and you understand how to fight all the characters, the game gets MEH pretty fast.

I can almost guarantee it won't be at EVO a second time.

People are saying it was on evo lineup before it was even released. Money was doing some talking there

Last edited:
Lol. Speak for yourself bro.
The game has too much to know for you to fully grasp everything about the game in a few days, but w/e Its all good.

EDIT: tbh, what you said could be copy and paste for all competitive games period, since if I get all of the fundamentals from smash 4 down and know how to fight all the characters, it get boring too.

Last edited:
The game has too much to know for you to fully grasp everything about the game in a few days, but w/e Its all good.

EDIT: tbh, what you said could be copy and paste for all competitive games period, since if I get all of the fundamentals from smash 4 down and know how to fight all the characters, it get boring too.
Like I said man. Speak for yourself. This game is fairly simple. It may be complicated to you. But that does not mean it is to others

EDIT: no you can't say that, Street fighter fundamentals have been the same since the early 90s lol. People still have fun playing it. What makes a game boring is not being able to play with your own style, pokken is very straight forward. In smash you have so many movement options to play the game your own way and your own style it's always fun, same with melee..in pokken Most combos are not optimized/not worth doing. The fundamentals are very basic and straightforward. It will get old. This game will not last that long I promise

Last edited:
It's cool that Pokkén got a subforum, it'll help a burgeoning community grow and promote intermingling. But it makes me wonder why Splatoon was relegated to another site? There are plenty of Pokémon forums that support Pokkén, especially compared to the nascent Splatoon scene.
Just wondering what the motivation and criteria are, and hoping Rivals of Aether and other platform fighters likely to feature fan-crossover can get the same treatment in the future.
Also, will there be rankings?

Also, I wouldn't hold individuals to learning the Alt-code for "é" any more than I'd expect them to always use periods, but I do think that doing so in a news article makes it look more professional.

Like I said man. Speak for yourself. This game is fairly simple. It may be complicated to you. But that does not mean it is to others

EDIT: no you can't say that, Street fighter fundamentals have been the same since the early 90s lol. People still have fun playing it. What makes a game boring is not being able to play with your own style, pokken is very straight forward. In smash you have so many movement options to play the game your own way and your own style it's always fun, same with melee..in pokken Most combos are not optimized/not worth doing. The fundamentals are very basic and straightforward. It will get old. This game will not last that long I promise
People still play street fighter for mutliple reasons, one being of good competition, friends, the scene, and other stuff. What play style does pokken lack? You can play whoever you want in this game, I don't see what you mean (gonna have to explain that). Just choose the right Pokemon lol.

And no, the smash games (you mean all smash games right? Because then you're wrong, smash 64 and brawl are limited in movement options. You're gonna have to specify a specific game here) are pretty moderate with the movement options. The exception being melee, PM, and smash 4 (PP along with bidou tech could change the game)

The last part is.....unclear. Are you saying the combos not being optimized lead to the game being boring and straight-forward? Doesn't that mean the opposite since you have to lab it out and find the optimized combos? Like, you haven't really punted anything out important in regards to pokkèn.

Pokkèn doesn't sport the same amount of movement options from smash, but not many fighting games do. Instead, pokkèn sports a very intricate system with characters practically being made with completely different game mechanics from one another with supports and cheer systems to really give the player a lot to chew on. With characters being better in field phase than dual phase and visa-versa, we now have two MU ratings for each match based on if they're in dual phase or field phase. Sceptile vs braxien in the field phase is a 70-30 since braxien has projectiles for days and sceptile really has to be patient to get around her mess. In dual phase, it's much fairer, but now it's 60-40 still in braxien's favor because of the projectiles, we can sap life from afar with Down A if the braixien player is blocking or something.

Like, the game has running stance, flying stance, enhancements (character-specific, or support-based), synergy, support (enhancements, combo starters, combo breakers, interrupters, anti-airs, approach, relieving pressure, blocking, etc..) cheer, wall combos, exceptions in the RPS system, various move catalogs, high mid and low hit zones, more emphasis on advantage and disadvantage, more ambiguous wake up game (33/33/33 instead of 50/50s), debuffs, and more are present in the game. I'm pretty sure there will be many years before this game is completely mastered.

Last edited:

No, Pokken is actually not welcomed by all the Smash Community...

One or two articles is fine and understandable at launch, but please don't flood the front page down the line (doubtful you will)

It's a bad game,
(yes, that's an opinion. Keep having fun if you enjoy it)
and I'd like to see less of it here when possible. I mean I just won't read the articles which is no big deal but as far as community feedback goes, here's just one rando's take.

and Baby_Sneak Baby_Sneak it's not a problem but just letting you know it's "Duel Phase" not dual. The game is way too simple is the problem. Balance is a huge issue, and ultimately it's a rock paper scissors simulator that turns into autopilot combos, and because of the enormous risk involved in losing that rock paper scissors players are more inclined to camp and chip where dmg can be secured safely. It's pretty bad, which is a shame since it looks so good, and is perhaps still fun as a spectator. I still think it has a future since it's so accessible (I don't get why people think it's complicated coming from any other fighting games.... it's just new content you have to chew but once you do it's silly)

Last edited:
Like, the game has running stance, flying stance, enhancements (character-specific, or support-based), synergy, support (enhancements, combo starters, combo breakers, interrupters, anti-airs, approach, relieving pressure, blocking, etc..) cheer, wall combos, exceptions in the RPS system, various move catalogs, high mid and low hit zones, more emphasis on advantage and disadvantage, more ambiguous wake up game (33/33/33 instead of 50/50s), debuffs, and more are present in the game. I'm pretty sure there will be many years before this game is completely mastered.
You saying all this makes me 90% sure this is the only other fighting game that you tried to dig deep into besides smash.

You listing the stances as some unique thing is laughable, it's merely just holding up or down to do different moves, lol.So many of the things you listed are incredibly insignificant, do not add hardly any depth at all and are not complicated to understand.

Last edited:

One or two articles is fine and understandable at launch, but please don't flood the front page down the line (doubtful you will)

It's a bad game,
and I'd like to see less of it here when possible. I mean I just won't read the articles which is no big deal but as far as community feedback goes, here's just one rando's take.

and Baby_Sneak Baby_Sneak it's not a problem but just letting you know it's "Duel Phase" not dual. The game is way too simple is the problem. Balance is a huge issue, and ultimately it's a rock paper scissors simulator that turns into autopilot combos, and because of the enormous risk involved in losing that rock paper scissors players are more inclined to camp and chip where dmg can be secured safely. It's pretty bad, which is a shame since it looks so good, and is perhaps still fun as a spectator. I still think it has a future since it's so accessible (I don't get why people think it's complicated coming from any other fighting games.... it's just new content you have to chew but once you do it's silly)
i was thinking about the RPS aspect too....
Until I started figuring out my pokes, advantage and disadvantages, and playing footsies and started to view the opponent's pattern and cue.

You still have to guess of course, but that's on every fighting game and that's not a bad thing.

You saying all this makes me 90% sure this is the only other fighting game that you tried to dig deep into besides smash.

You listing the stances as some unique thing is laughable, it's merely just holding up or down to do different moves, lol.So many of the things you listed are incredibly insignificant, do not add hardly any depth at all and are not complicated to understand.
Please read what I posted.

I never talked about the high and low stances (some auto-blocks lows and weak attacks, recovers health, synergy and support too but w/e). I was talking about the character-specific traits like flight stance (Zard), Running stance (garchomp), enhancements (Blaziken, braixien, machamp, and gardevior), etc...

The point in me listing all those factors is me showing all the stuff that the game has to offer. Soo much stuff to optimize.

And I've played enough fighting games and delved enough time into enough of them to know what in talking about, can't say the same for you (cuz I don't know you, like you don't know me, but w/e).

Last edited:
User was warned for this post

It's a bad game,

Spot on!

I agree 100%.

I rented this game the day it came out and played online non stop deciding whether or not I wanted to buy it.

Came to the same conclusion.

I'd love to play with baby to show them how simple it really is

Last edited:
Spot on!

I agree 100%.

I rented this game the day it came out and played online non stop deciding whether or not I wanted to buy it.

Came to the same conclusion.

I'd love to play with baby to show them how simple it really is
Nvm PM me. We've already thrown this thread completely off the rails.

Last edited:
Yeesh, didn't think I'd cause such an uproar from simply stating I personally get bugged by people writing 'Pokken' instead of 'Pokkén'. Didn't intend or expect that to become such a big thing. I'm not sure if I should be apologizing for setting people off, but I think you can all calm down by now.

Though honestly, this article's comment section as a whole seems pretty tense.

It's a bad game,

But yes you are definitely spot on with this.

The one thing that pokken might be good for since it is so accessible is introducing a lot of younger players to the fighting game genre. Then after pokken dies, which I don't think will take too long....all these new younger players will move on to a more in depth fighter. Hopefully SF5 or smash

Last edited:
On topic, I think the project is similar in comparison to smash academy, with the basics being introductory and very surface-leveled.

Top Bottom