• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Pokemon Food Chain (Updated/Finding Top and Bottom!)

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Pokemon Food-Chain

What is this? Well, the title makes it pretty obvious. It's a Pokemon food-chain! Ever wondered if a Togekiss would eat a Happiny...maybe a Chimecho? Well then, this is the place for you. Below these lines of text you will see a list of Pokemon I have compiled to start with. I've started with Pokemon that don't really have an animal that you can match them to, so it can be a lot more interesting and just not your Bio class all over again. We have to get through some rules before we get started though.​

• You can base your ideas on what Pokemon eats the other in pretty much anyway. Don't feel limited by just Pokedex entries, use all your resources. "Because he's cooler." is sadly not a viable argument however.
  • Don't be an idiot. :)
  • Global Rules apply.
  • I can add more rules as the thread progresses, so be sure you know your limits.
  • Suggestions are very much welcome. This is uncharted territory for me, and I'm probably missing a few interesting Pokemon.
  • Are the .gifs a bit much?
:Top:

:Second Batch:

:Third Batch:

:Fourth Batch:

:Fifth Batch:

:Sixth Batch:

:Seventh Batch:

:Bottom:

OK! Suggest Pokemon you feel should be taken down/put up now!

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
What is this? Well, the title makes it pretty obvious. It's a Pokemon food-chain! Ever wondered if a Togekiss would eat a Happiny...maybe a Chimecho?

• You can base your ideas on what Pokemon eats the other in pretty much anyway. Don't feel limited by just Pokedex entries, use all your resources. "Because he's cooler." is sadly not a viable argument however.
  • Are the .gifs a bit much?
Does it have to necessarily be eating? I mean, consider Lunatone's lack of a mouth.

GIFs are fine, IMO.

ndayday

BRoomer
Absorbing/using energy works. Scavengers, whatever. I realize not everything can physically eat another.

So yeah, do whatever works.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
So, what are we supposed to do? Suggest what Pokemon the ones you listed eat? If that's the case we can exclude Budew, Shaymin and Leafeon, since it's mentioned that they use photosynthesis.

ndayday

BRoomer
Then they'd be at the bottom, no? Other things would have to eat them.

And yeah, basically. If there are Pokemon that you guys don't agree on, we can vote.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Proposal to get rid of all NFEs that are not significantly different from their fully-evolved counterparts?

And Phione.

EDIT: One way we could do this efficiently is to split up all the "qualifying" Pokemon into 10-20 groups, sorting them, and then combining.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
hey does man go on top? really if I saw a random pokemon around I might eat it and what about the ghost pokemon? do they eat souls?

ndayday

BRoomer
hey does man go on top? really if I saw a random pokemon around I might eat it and what about the ghost pokemon? do they eat souls?
We'll exclude man.

And that's for you guys to figure out I guess.

@annoying: That works. I'll eliminate the NFEs and sort them into 23 Pokemon groups. I tried to get rid of as many IRL-like Pokemon as possible, but suggest any up there that should be gone.

I'm going with annoying's proposal, so wait until I get the Pokemon up.

Mewter

Smash Master
It looks like you went to a lot of trouble to put these pictures up!
But maybe you should move them to a photo-sharing account so you don't take bandwidth and so they can't pull the switch on you. :)

ndayday

BRoomer
^Thanks, that's a good suggestion. o_o

Done. Keep suggesting Pokemon to be up/down, don't you all jump at me at one time now.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I think all the worm pokemon must be at the bottom (and examples include wurmple, caterpie, and wurmple) I mean birds eat them no?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Psyduck, Wartortle, Drifloon, Happiny, Gible, Mime Jr., and Budew should be removed.

IMO.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
IIRC Sneasel's pokedex entry mentioned eating eggs, so I guess Sneasel could > Exeggute, lol.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
:First Batch:

:Eighth Batch:

OK! Suggest Pokemon you feel should be taken down/put up now!​

How are these organized? I don't get what order they're in right now...

ndayday

BRoomer
They're just in rough groups that I designed by the order I added them to this thread.
Just do like annoying did, unless you think it's fine the way it is.
I got rid of all the guys he suggested.

This will be awkward with me being gone all weekend, but now they have to be organized. Something like this:

Bugs: blablabla

sammy p

Smash Lord
i think all the legendaries shoud be moved to the top... unless im COMPLETELY missing the point, (which i probably am) what pokemon is goind to eat a legendary??

from what it looks like now, this is making me think that a spoink can eat a legendary like lugia! :laugh:

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Ah okay, I got it now.

Going up:
Fearow, Charizard, Gyarados, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Feraligatr, Giratina, Metagross, Salamence, Tyranitar, Garchomp, Rampardos

Going to bottom (eight batch) - these guys don't eat Pokemon:
Aggron, Hypno, Magnezone, Electrode, Rotom, Sableye, Snorlax, Meganium, Unown, Wobbuffet, Blissey (with that much fat I'd be hunted too, no?).

Okay, so... I know there are some legendaries that would obviousy eat something, but what about the ones like Darkrai, which feed on dreams? I doubt they are going to be hunted, since they can put to sleep anything which attempts to, but in turn they don't eat anything else.

And... Claydol is in batch three and four, it seems. :)

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Ah okay, I got it now.

Going up:
Fearow, Charizard, Gyarados, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Feraligatr, Giratina, Metagross, Salamence, Tyranitar, Garchomp, Rampardos

Going to bottom (eight batch) - these guys don't eat Pokemon:
Aggron, Hypno, Magnezone, Electrode, Rotom, Sableye, Snorlax, Meganium, Unown, Wobbuffet, Blissey (with that much fat I'd be hunted too, no?).

Okay, so... I know there are some legendaries that would obviousy eat something, but what about the ones like Darkrai, which feed on dreams? I doubt they are going to be hunted, since they can put to sleep anything which attempts to, but in turn they don't eat anything else.
Honchkrow, Ariados, Banette, and Noctowl could hunt Darkrai, as they are all insomniacs and wouldn't fear being put to sleep. The same goes for Hypno obviously, although Hypno feeds on dreams just like Darkrai. Interestingly enough, this means that Darkrai would be lower on the 'dream' foodchain than Hypno when it comes to the ability to eat dreams, as Hypno could eat Darkrai's dreams and Darkrai could not eat Hypno's.

And as for what eating dreams exactly does when speaking through the terms of sleep, it would basically just affect memory retention (iirc). I don't know exactly what effect that could have on a Pokemon, but I bet it could give something if thought about enough.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Honchkrow, Ariados, Banette, and Noctowl could hunt Darkrai, as they are all insomniacs and wouldn't fear being put to sleep. The same goes for Hypno obviously, although Hypno feeds on dreams just like Darkrai. Interestingly enough, this means that Darkrai would be lower on the 'dream' foodchain than Hypno when it comes to the ability to eat dreams, as Hypno could eat Darkrai's dreams and Darkrai could not eat Hypno's.

And as for what eating dreams exactly does when speaking through the terms of sleep, it would basically just affect memory retention (iirc). I don't know exactly what effect that could have on a Pokemon, but I bet it could give something if thought about enough.
lol. :laugh: Darkrai, one of the most feared Pokemon in the metagame without the sleep clause, is reduced to dinner for Honchkrow, Ariados, Banette, Noctowl, and Hypno.

So... he should be at the bottom of the food chain, then?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why is charizard on the bottom?

...His fire breath can melt stone...

That's enough to turn flesh into mush...

Riddle

Smash Lord
:First Batch:

:Eighth Batch:

OK! Suggest Pokemon you feel should be taken down/put up now!
Arceus Up; Shaymin down; Glaceon down; Leafeon down; Munchlax down; Bonsly down; Regigigas up; Heatran up; Palkia up; Probopass down; PorygonZ down; Tangrowth down; Togekiss down; Roserade down; Gabite down; Garchomp up; Drifblim down; Roserade down

That's all I had the attention span for.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Ditto would be top of the food chain.

I'd say Kyogre is high too, it's just so huge that it'd act like a Whale Shark and just swallow anything in its path, possibly unintentionally.

ndayday

BRoomer
Completely updated.

And it'd been great so far, but let's just find the bottom and top first, then we can work our way into the soft marshmellow-y center.

Metal~Mario

Smash Lord
Where's Remoraid?

He's significantly different from Octillery and is obvious food for any predatory water type.

LOL at Magikarp, bottom of the chain (if he was allowed) and he evolves into something to be feared by the entire poke-kingdom.

phish-it

Smash Champion
Snorlax on the bottom? Even if it is a vegetarian whats going to eat something as huge as it? Elephants are herbivores but that doesn't mean they are on the bottom of the food chain. What about machamp? You can't expect that guy to get so jacked without eating any type of meat!?

The bottom shouldn't apply to what they don't eat, but everything that eats them.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Snorlax on the bottom? Even if it is a vegetarian whats going to eat something as huge as it? Elephants are herbivores but that doesn't mean they are on the bottom of the food chain. What about machamp? You can't expect that guy to get so jacked without eating any type of meat!?

The bottom shouldn't apply to what they don't eat, but everything that eats them.
Yeah, blue whales only (Purposely) eat plankton but you don't see many blue whale hunters out there in the ocean.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Yeah, blue whales only (Purposely) eat plankton but you don't see many blue whale hunters out there in the ocean.
Actually, there's a completely different reason why we don't hunt blue whales. It's illegal. They were hunted to near extinction during the early part of the 20th century, and then finally in the 60s they were internationally protected so we could make sure they didn't face the same fate as Dodo birds.

So if I had to guess, there probably would be a lot of Pokemon attacking a Snorlax. I mean come on, all it does is eat and sleep. It's like the perfect target for a huge meal.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Its probably comparable to Lion versus Elephant

I'd say that at the very lease a pack of Houndoom's could take it down.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Or anything else that you would expect to pack, really. I'd assume about any dog/wolf-like thing would go after it, as well as any birds that you would expect to pack. Such as Fearow.

Also, assuming that evolution is still a factor, Munchlax would be a prime target for many things thanks to its bulk yet relatively smaller structure, meaning that getting to the stage of becoming a Snorlax would be extremely hard to begin with, as it would be hunted incessantly.

Life is hard for Snorlax in the world of Pogeymanz.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Actually, there's a completely different reason why we don't hunt blue whales. It's illegal. They were hunted to near extinction during the early part of the 20th century, and then finally in the 60s they were internationally protected so we could make sure they didn't face the same fate as Dodo birds.

So if I had to guess, there probably would be a lot of Pokemon attacking a Snorlax. I mean come on, all it does is eat and sleep. It's like the perfect target for a huge meal.
I meant animal hunters...Not human hunters.

I don't think animals care about human laws.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
CRASHiC covered that then.

EDIT: Although I would like to point out that, although we do seem to have improved sentience when compared to the others, we are still animals. Not saying my point wasn't wrong. Just more of an FYI. :)

Mewter

Smash Master
I think Ninetales should move up some, or at least one batch.
Really, it's a fire-breathing fox! :laugh:

Top Bottom