• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Point of No Return...

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996

jk

Seriously though, I think I've hit the point of no return with Ganondorf. I can't play any other character quite so well, nor do I enjoy playing any character quite so much. I doubt I'll ever be maining any other character or knowing so much about another fighter. He's also the only ditto I enjoy playing. I hate any other ditto besides Ganon. Ganon is basically the reason I play Smash 4 now.

Anyone else hit this point with the Dorf?

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481

jk

Seriously though, I think I've hit the point of no return with Ganondorf. I can't play any other character quite so well, nor do I enjoy playing any character quite so much. I doubt I'll ever be maining any other character or knowing so much about another fighter. He's also the only ditto I enjoy playing. I hate any other ditto besides Ganon. Ganon is basically the reason I play Smash 4 now.

I'm pretty committed with Ganon but I play other characters. I see you and Ganon are in a pretty deep relationship and I wish you the best. Have you tried any characters from other series you like? Namely DLC characters (Roy?)

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
I'm pretty committed with Ganon but I play other characters. I see you and Ganon are in a pretty deep relationship and I wish you the best. Have you tried any characters from other series you like? Namely DLC characters (Roy?)
Fox is the only other character I play seriously now. I switched from Sheik to Fox bc I missed being able to kill. Fox has so many fun combos. But he'll never be Ganondorf...

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
My tournament career spans back to about 2010.

Number of times I've used anyone but Ganon in tourney: 0
Number of times I've done friendlies with someone other than Ganon: I think 3.

In other words, yes. :p

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
My tournament career spans back to about 2010.

Number of times I've used anyone but Ganon in tourney: 0
Number of times I've done friendlies with someone other than Ganon: I think 3.

In other words, yes. :p
Impressive.

@ Vermanubis Vermanubis would you be available for some Wii U matches tonight? 9-11 EST is the general range I'm available.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master

jk

Only Ganon and Bowser give me this feeling. The rest of the roster can choke for all I care. Maybe FE Roy and Ryu will grow on me. But so far just Ganon and Bowser.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
I can play almost any character at least decently in almost every aspect.

Except one: killing

I literally let people live up to 150+% because I just cannot land kills when I don't have big stompy boots to net me kills in neutral.

It's why the few other characters that I'll pull out once and a while are all heavies. Other heavies may not have a moveset comprised of 110% kill moves, but they can at least land kills in neutral.

So yeah, this applies to me too. No other character really has the power Ganon has. Which makes sense, causes y'know, triangle doohickey.

Shmeckie

Smash Cadet
NNID
shmeckie
I dunno if I even could. I can't play the same character too many times in a row without my skill starting to decline. I get sort of a single-character exhaustion if I don't switch it up. Actually my roster of characters consists of the game's roster of villains, which works in a kind of "Ganon and his minions" shtick. So I'm pretty happy about that.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

I literally let people live up to 150+% because I just cannot land kills when I don't have big stompy boots to net me kills in neutral.

It's why the few other characters that I'll pull out once and a while are all heavies. Other heavies may not have a moveset comprised of 110% kill moves, but they can at least land kills in neutral.

So yeah, this applies to me too. No other character really has the power Ganon has. Which makes sense, causes y'know, triangle doohickey.
Only Bowser can Kill at around the same damages as Ganon.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Ya, Ganon is definitely the character that "does what I think" on the screen.
I'm so used to him that he feels like a bodypart (no, not that part!)

I can play other characters, but Ganon is the only one I know pretty much all frame-data about, without looking it up.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Well, there's a number of reasons I main Ganon in this game.

First and foremost though, he's the most entertaining character in this game. The whole decision making process behind how he operates is immensely fascinating.

Then obviously, there's his sinister, manly appeal. Ganondorf is a very handsome man.

Another reason for me is because I am pretty bad at things that require really quick fingers, and Ganon objectively speaking is pretty lenient when it comes to that kind of technical barrier.

The Shadow Emperor

Smash Apprentice
Only Bowser can Kill at around the same damages as Ganon.
And Dedede.

One way that playing Ganon has affected me is grabs. I never use Ganon's grab since I feel Flame Choke and Dark Dive are suitable enough, so whenever I play as someone else I never think to use them no matter how beneficial it may be.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
And Dedede.

One way that playing Ganon has affected me is grabs. I never use Ganon's grab since I feel Flame Choke and Dark Dive are suitable enough, so whenever I play as someone else I never think to use them no matter how beneficial it may be.
You should watch Gungnir. Gungnir grabs people all the time with Ganon. Also Ganon's actual throw game is really good, his best source of guaranteed damage at low to mid percents, and the best way for him to set up his devastating edgeguards.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero

Hey man i have a few questions

1. What is Ganons fastest smash attack?
As in least start up lag.

2. What is the best thing to do after someone has rolled forward after being flame choked? I normally run and FAir but it can be blocked only works as a suprise factor?

Run upsmash?
Run and FSmash?
Another Flame choke?

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Hey man i have a few questions

1. What is Ganons fastest smash attack?
As in least start up lag.

2. What is the best thing to do after someone has rolled forward after being flame choked? I normally run and FAir but it can be blocked only works as a suprise factor?

Run upsmash?
Run and FSmash?
Another Flame choke?
1. D-smash, frame 15 (?) or 16

2. Flame Choke forward (run forward and flame choke depending on the character), or dash attack.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
1. D-smash, frame 15 (?) or 16

2. Flame Choke forward (run forward and flame choke depending on the character), or dash attack.
I need to see your Ganon...
Im getting stomped by everyone!

This was me before...

And now im getting smashed !!!
Wth hell is going on

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I started this game as a dedicated Yoshi main carrying over from Brawl, but Yoshi is mega boring in Smash 4. At this stage, I've got 3x more kills on my Ganondorf.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Yoshi boring as in you win every match since all your attacks are safe and all of Bowser's aren't therefore more fun?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Hey guys does anyone spike people with Wizardfoot of stage for a meteor?

I want to start doing it but the timing is crucial...is it the apex of your jump that you do it?

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Yoshi boring as in you win every match since all your attacks are safe and all of Bowser's aren't therefore more fun?
I have a pretty passable Yoshi if you ever want practice against him. I don't think he's as great at higher level play as everyone makes him out to be. I would put him in top 15 most likely, but not top 10.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I started this game as a dedicated Yoshi main carrying over from Brawl, but Yoshi is mega boring in Smash 4. At this stage, I've got 3x more kills on my Ganondorf.
I originally mained Mario and G&W back in Brawl. Mario is also super boring in this game, though Doc reminds me a lot more of Brawl Mario in contrast. And G&W is mostly terrible outside of niche matchups and his new D-throw game is also boring.

I always had a pocket Ganon in Brawl and I was hoping to prove he was better than being just the worst character in the game. I would honestly argue he's likely better than Bowser in Brawl, actually, though they are both by far the two worst characters in the game.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I have a pretty passable Yoshi if you ever want practice against him. I don't think he's as great at higher level play as everyone makes him out to be. I would put him in top 15 most likely, but not top 10.
I know a great Yoshi on NeoGAF. He kicks my ass 50% of the time.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
I originally mained Mario and G&W back in Brawl. Mario is also super boring in this game, though Doc reminds me a lot more of Brawl Mario in contrast. And G&W is mostly terrible outside of niche matchups and his new D-throw game is also boring.

I always had a pocket Ganon in Brawl and I was hoping to prove he was better than being just the worst character in the game. I would honestly argue he's likely better than Bowser in Brawl, actually, though they are both by far the two worst characters in the game.
Now that we're on the subject of horrible Brawl characters, wasn't Ivysaur by itself the worst Brawl character? Apparently it was even agreed early on that Ivysaur was the only character that lost to Ganondorf (back when the individual Pokemon were looked it when diagnosing MUs)?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Now that we're on the subject of horrible Brawl characters, wasn't Ivysaur by itself the worst Brawl character? Apparently it was even agreed early on that Ivysaur was the only character that lost to Ganondorf (back when the individual Pokemon were looked it when diagnosing MUs)?
Could be possible. One of the big reasons Bowser is extremely bad is he's basically the one character in the game who legit can't win on any stage that isn't Battlefield. Probably not completely different for Ivysaur (less so about platform shenanigans, but more just getting screwed by counterpick stages). Granted Ganon also mostly prefers Battlefield, but he's not like...extremely hoplessly neutered by not getting platform shenanigans. Bowser NEEDS Battlefield's platforms to not automatically die to juggles and edgeguards.

Last edited:

Gold_TSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slyger_Magreiva
There was a point where I thought Dorf was the only character I could use well (back in Melee, before I actually got good at the series), but Brawl slowly started opening things up for me at first (got really good with Falcon and Ike). Once I started getting into mods (specifically Brawl Minus), my fundamentals kinda exploded, and I was suddenly able to use a majority of the roster. Thankfully, this carried over into Smash 4, and there's really only a handful of chars that I either can't use well, or can't understand well enough to use at all.

MechanicalRhythm

Smash Rookie
I know exactly how the OP feels. It never used to be this way, Ganon was something I was forced to pick up alongside my friends in brawl (They each got Link and Zelda, its sort of an in-joke) but over time I just accustomed myself to him, and since Sm4sh came out he became by far my best character despite swearing to main BJ and Zard. There's just something special about playing Ganon other chars cannot achieve. You do cool **** with other chars that feels satisfying, and sure they can be cool. But playing Ganon EVERYTHING you do feels good. I just Dtilted you. Felt good. Faired you. Felt great. Got Flame Choke reads on you. Felt absolutely amazing.

It's power. It's addicting. It's Ganon.

Triggerpig

Smash Cadet
NNID
Triggerpigking
I know what you mean man, i'm not exactly good as ganon but he's the only one i'm really competent at and I love playing him waay more then others. I've tried to main mario and marth alongside him but i've not put much effort into it, I dunno maybe i'll try and focus on them specifically on some days.
Tbh I have'nt really played many of the other chars in general, I kinda started smash 4 and immediatly went for what was familiar being ganon and mario, I should probbly be trying the other chars more.

Last edited:

Gold_TSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slyger_Magreiva
Dorf has always been my favorite to play, despite being equally as good or better with certain other characters. I just love the thrill of working for those kills, and that rush when you land a punch or a dair.

The Gallows

Smash Rookie
NNID
RESET_Imp
I played Brawl competitively for years, and by competitively I mean among the Wifi Clans and AIB ladder and all that awful stuff. I played multiple characters at a "high" wifi level. Beat a handful of known players in my day too. Anti, Dabuz, Samboner to name a few. However, Brawl was actually kind of bad and the Wifi was terrible. When my training partner realised the game was not so fun anymore he just trolled with Ganon, and upon ragequitting the game I took up the Gauntlet. Spent a long time just trolling with Dorf... until I could play Dorf well and then eventually couldn't play any character at all.

That's kind of carried over to Sm4sh. I can pretty much only play Dorf.

Top Bottom