• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Pichu Video Thread

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXWcHfMwzhI

The first match was as Pichu, and the second was my crappy Fox. I really need to work on my reactions and edgeguarding.
what is this crazy ass camera lmao. Did you throw a stabilizer on it?
anyway, critique ****:

I don't like nair to utilt very much when you land in front of a shield. I would suggest trying a rising uair or nair through it after landing, or just opting to roll/spotdodge (very viable options if used correctly)
In general, against marth especially, I would recommend always trying to nair through the shield, but it can be hard to space that because of his DD.

On the subject of rolling, both of you were rolling a lot in neutral. It's a pretty tough habit to break, but definitely worthwhile. The less you have to shield/roll the better.
everytime you shield or roll you're giving up space or control of the stage. Just something to keep in mind.

watch those approaching jolts too, I know how tempting they are, but it's a really bad habit as well. I still fall back into that one every once in awhile and it almost always results in being punished.
You seemed to be getting away with it due to your opponent mis-spacing all his moves though.

for marth, I don't like to go offstage to edgeguard him unless I know I can get away with it (generally via combo, or if he's lost his double jump).
I'm a huge fan of invincible nair from the ledge if I can land it or using the marth slayer (roll to the edge, lightshield, hold down and away toward the ledge)
The other thing you want to do if knock him out of his double jump or his sideB (generally via jolt). For that you just have to look for his recovery patterns or situations where he has to jump.

If you can't get the ledge, it's pretty easy to punish his back to stage options. If you run up and shield near the ledge, he basically has to roll, since you can shield grab any of his aerials if they aren't spaced correctly.

I didn't watch the match as fox, but I play spacies too, so if you want I could give you some advice on it as well.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
what is this crazy *** camera lmao. Did you throw a stabilizer on it?
anyway, critique ****:

I don't like nair to utilt very much when you land in front of a shield. I would suggest trying a rising uair or nair through it after landing, or just opting to roll/spotdodge (very viable options if used correctly)
In general, against marth especially, I would recommend always trying to nair through the shield, but it can be hard to space that because of his DD.

On the subject of rolling, both of you were rolling a lot in neutral. It's a pretty tough habit to break, but definitely worthwhile. The less you have to shield/roll the better.
everytime you shield or roll you're giving up space or control of the stage. Just something to keep in mind.

watch those approaching jolts too, I know how tempting they are, but it's a really bad habit as well. I still fall back into that one every once in awhile and it almost always results in being punished.
You seemed to be getting away with it due to your opponent mis-spacing all his moves though.

for marth, I don't like to go offstage to edgeguard him unless I know I can get away with it (generally via combo, or if he's lost his double jump).
I'm a huge fan of invincible nair from the ledge if I can land it or using the marth slayer (roll to the edge, lightshield, hold down and away toward the ledge)
The other thing you want to do if knock him out of his double jump or his sideB (generally via jolt). For that you just have to look for his recovery patterns or situations where he has to jump.

If you can't get the ledge, it's pretty easy to punish his back to stage options. If you run up and shield near the ledge, he basically has to roll, since you can shield grab any of his aerials if they aren't spaced correctly.

I didn't watch the match as fox, but I play spacies too, so if you want I could give you some advice on it as well.
idk, wasn't running the stream. critique is always appreciated, but you don't have to.

shuall

Smash Apprentice
Hey, long-time lurker. This is a recent match I had with a friend. I appreciate (followup/combo/etc) suggestions and critiques if you're inclined. General stuff like landing aerials behind him and not relying on shield so much are appreciated as well, but already noted. I've got to get the streamer to put this up on youtube so twitch doesn't throw it out.

http://www.twitch.tv/bill_king_/c/6360485?t=1h10m20s
EDIT: YT: https://youtu.be/XDaINKkqh9o?t=1h10m20s

Stuff I've been thinking as I watch it:
PAWD (pichu agility wave dash) is alright, but seems not to follow up as much as I would hope (granted I missed plenty, but even when I got it, I still wasn't in a position to follow up; except that thunder (1:11:18), that was cool)

my fair and dair timings need work if I want the grab. I really want the quake to do enough shieldstun for a grab, but is it actually positive on shield?

I like that low% nair leads to a grab because it has little knockback 1:12:40
It's also after this point that I realize I want to try out dairs on shield so I do a couple within the next 20 seconds to no effect.

fishing for upsmashes (OoS) at 1:12:10

dthrow doesn't have much hitlag for anything (at least on ness) 1:15:02 and I get punished for trying it

ICG is convinced thunder leads to damage. I, however, have to work on not letting them down for free when I pop them up with it.

For the second game, it was a little sillier, but I just want to remark that I weirdly didn't get hit by many of the G&W nairs, I don't know if pichu is just too short, or I was extremely lucky, but there are times when it seems like I was inside the parachute and didn't get hit. especially after 1:19:45

Also dthrow seems to lead to tech chases on G&W so maybe I was too hard on it.

WHY DOESN'T PICHU'S CROUCH GIVE YOU BACK 1% FOR EVERY SECOND? THAT WOULD MAKE SENSE.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
you're rolling in weird spots where i feel like it's not necessary sometimes. rolls are good sometimes, but you can just dash dance or wavedash away. you were also missing a lot of jump cancel grabs. sometimes you jump off the stage when you could have just dash danced or done something else that gives up stage control, which pichu needs. also try to use nair slightly better in general.
10:43 short hop fair is a really bad idea since you can just nair or even tomohawk. fair in general is a niche move and gets outclassed a lot. it has its uses like doing a pseudo pillar and as a mixup option for combos, but that's generally it.
11:10 the second thunder was a bit questionable, but it worked i guess. the ness player may have been able to punish you, but i think you may have been able to buffer roll out if necessary (not sure). i also don't know if pk fire could've punished you.
11:18 swag
11:19 you could've naired to hit him to the left instead which would have been infinitely better.
12:04 f smash in neutral is usually a really bad idea. he was at high percent so you should have just nair'd him again anyway.
12:44 nair>bair unless you know something i don't (i don't know the ness mu much lol)
14:59 come on, you can do better than a jolt. i don't blame you for not trying to punish it for you too much though. i feel like you could've done it somewhat safely if you full hopped and nair'd/dair'd (dair would be slightly easier but nair can convert better unless you plan on using the dair quake) him.
15:09 up throw was a better option
15:32 that was a really bad approaching jolt. approaching with jolt is really bad in general unless you know it will work. you could've just nair'd and done the same thing.
16:22 this is what i meant by fair being bad a lot.
17:21 i've noticed that it's not particularly good to commit against people on the ledge since they can just react and get back on stage.
18:07 that thunder was a really bad idea, as you probably already know. i feel like you should have dash danced and waited to see if he was going to throw out an aerial and then reacted to what he was going to do.
19:35 i hope you never do that again.
PA isn't particularly useful as a whole, but it has some good uses. it can be used a movement tool or to catch people off guard in weird places or when they just aren't expecting it.

fair and dair to grab aren't guaranteed. i personally only elect to use fair to grab when my opponent is coming down to the ground when they don't put an aerial out so they end up falling to the ground with nothing quick enough to come out so i can get it. dair with the quake kind of works; like fair, it's not guaranteed, but i find it more reliable. dair is not positive on shield. nair is actually positive and leads to grabs at varying percents with both the strong and weak hit. i'm not so sure about the weak hit comboing into grab since i haven't tested it but i feel like it has potential at mid-percents.

only up smash when you know you can land it or you get a read. fishing for it is really bad since it doesn't have anything notable about it other than power.

i think there are some combos that you can get from down throw on opposing pichu and other characters at varying percents. you're right about it otherwise.

they can, and you got some mileage from it, but up air can be used to do the same thing a lot the time and is much safer.

you can tech chase other characters with down throw as well.

for the nairs i feel like he was trying to catch you in it from either approaching, agility into it, or whatever else.

Last edited:

shuall

Smash Apprentice
11:19, truth, I need more presence of mind. I would say that's what I was going for, but that would be a lie, I was just trying to hit him with anything there.
12:44 that was an input error, I was trying to go backwards and nair at the same time and messed up, twice.
14:59 thanks for the ideas. I'm so nervous in those situations, because I often panic and run right into it, and look foolish, all my friends laugh, my parents disown me, etc.
15:09 I'll definitely try that next time on floatier chars, maybe fthrow? bthrow and dthrow seem like they leave few options

My fairs were bad. I feel like if I overshot them and tried to land behind I could've gotten lcancel and grabs, but I didn't. Plus, like you said, they're a commitment that doesn't have much priority. Is it better in other matchups?

Thunders were bad. I couldn't get them to work. I'll try making it a thing to try to punish their landing attempts instead of going for thunders, especially floaties which give me plenty of time as they descend.

15:32 I'm glad I didn't get punished for the approaching jolts. Thinking about jolts, can you get a jolt out and PAWD in behind it fast enough to follow up?

19:35 = 18:35? I guess that's the stupid sideb. That was silly and I shouldn't have done it. I was hoping he would go for more aggressive SH nairs next to me, but he ran to the other side of the stage. I was lucky to not get punished for it.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
forward throw doesn't work unless you think you can predict what they're going to do next.

even if you l canceled it still wouldn't have been a good idea since nair is just better and they aren't in hitstun that long. you might have been able to get it he got hit and didn't react fast enough. overshooting aerials as pichu is very good. the only time i wouldn't overshoot is if i would want to bait out a shield grab with a non-stale nair (it is +1 on shield if thrown out as late as possible) and get a grab or whatever.

if they get hit by the jolt and you PA immediately, i think you can grab or nair.

i meant the fair at 18:35 or around that time. it was another short hop fair. xD

oh hey you're in Philly. have you had the opportunity to play cactuar? i got to play a few friendlies with him and he 3 stocked me in pichu dittos...

Last edited:

shuall

Smash Apprentice
forward throw doesn't work unless you think you can predict what they're going to do next.

even if you l canceled it still wouldn't have been a good idea since nair is just better and they aren't in hitstun that long. you might have been able to get it he got hit and didn't react fast enough. overshooting aerials as pichu is very good. the only time i wouldn't overshoot is if i would want to bait out a shield grab with a non-stale nair (it is +1 on shield if thrown out as late as possible) and get a grab or whatever.

if they get hit by the jolt and you PA immediately, i think you can grab or nair.

i meant the fair at 18:35 or around that time. it was another short hop fair. xD

oh hey you're in Philly. have you had the opportunity to play cactuar? i got to play a few friendlies with him and he 3 stocked me in pichu dittos...
Ha, yeah. He beats me in IC dittos too, and he beats my ICs with pichu; really, he beats my everyone with anyone. I was on his and Zhu's stream a week or two ago as their 'scrub of the week' and he played a little with me and gave me general pointers (I rely on shield too much), and specific ideas for the Marth MU (as ICs).

I know this video's old. https://youtu.be/oC74-uDN5F4?t=40s at this point, I know the fair's hitstun is so little that the falco has enough time to get a shield up, It seems a lot harder to get a grab from a nair. Do you go for grabs as much out of aerials other than upair? I'm still confused where to use the quake from dair effectively, but I feel like it might be alright, I've seen it shieldpoke and pop up leading to a grab. Maybe dair on shield to get shieldstun from the strong hit and poke from the quake? (<woah, stream of consciousness, sounding like tcll or ICG)

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Ha, yeah. He beats me in IC dittos too, and he beats my ICs with pichu; really, he beats my everyone with anyone. I was on his and Zhu's stream a week or two ago as their 'scrub of the week' and he played a little with me and gave me general pointers (I rely on shield too much), and specific ideas for the Marth MU (as ICs).

I know this video's old. https://youtu.be/oC74-uDN5F4?t=40s at this point, I know the fair's hitstun is so little that the falco has enough time to get a shield up, It seems a lot harder to get a grab from a nair. Do you go for grabs as much out of aerials other than upair? I'm still confused where to use the quake from dair effectively, but I feel like it might be alright, I've seen it shieldpoke and pop up leading to a grab. Maybe dair on shield to get shieldstun from the strong hit and poke from the quake? (<woah, stream of consciousness, sounding like tcll or ICG)
God damn it another IC/Pichu? why.

I wish my flash player wasn't broken, or I'd critique.

anyway, some stuff about what's being said in here:
PA sucks. It's sooo fun, but it sucks so hard. Except in a few situations where it's dope. Personally, I'm a fan of PA OoS. It has a bit of startup though, so you can't just throw it out whenever you want, but it's really effective on some laggier moves that you can't punish with wd OoS (i.e. ganon's spaced fair->jab)
I'm a huge fan of it from the ledge too, since you have invincibility during the startup.
It is also good coming down from platforms, but that's a lot harder to explain.

oh and I'm not really sure if jolt->pa grab should ever actually work, you can for sure get away with it though.
sucks if they powershield the jolt though.

All your aerials should combo into grab at the right percents/spacings (bair->grab is super fraudulent though).

Also dair is amazing. I made a huge writeup of it in my lil guide thing: http://smashboards.com/threads/derfmws-big-pichu-guide.369436/

in short, dair quake is the coolest thing on he planet. It's pichu's best tool to deal with CC, since it combos into grab particularly well on CCing opponents.
It has a lot of application on platforms and with edgecancelling the quake into nair or uair.
It can also jab reset (although I usually prefer to fair in those situations).

Last edited:

shuall

Smash Apprentice
God damn it another IC/Pichu? why.
I have no idea why, I've noticed this too.
...It has a bit of startup...
I think this is it's biggest weakness, next to the fact that you can be hit out of it and it has no hitboxes (like pikas) so it's only use is movement. Everyone hears "1 frame of endlag" and they're like "Woah, super useful" but that endlag seems most useful just on recovery mixups, because it means if you can get on stage, you shouldn't be punished (by reaction).
I'm a huge fan of it from the ledge too, since you have invincibility during the startup.
This, messing around with it in slow-mo, it seems a PA from the edge onto center stage retains ledge invincibility for slightly more than half the length, more than enough to get through someone trying to pressure you on the edge. PA to ledge is also an invincible stall similar to pika's but also extremely hard to do perfectly. Since it has no hitboxes, I would only see it being useful if someone were trying to recover and knock you off the edge (like marth), or if you were able to do it perfectly between some other character's upb hitboxes.
It is also good coming down from platforms, but that's a lot harder to explain.
sideways and diagonal down across the stage from platform to edge guard, or battlefield platform chasing illusion-style are things I really want to get at some point. Maybe in teams.
oh and I'm not really sure if jolt->pa grab should ever actually work, you can for sure get away with it though.
sucks if they powershield the jolt though.

All your aerials should combo into grab at the right percents/spacings (bair->grab is super fraudulent though).

Also dair is amazing. I made a huge writeup of it in my lil guide thing: http://smashboards.com/threads/derfmws-big-pichu-guide.369436/

in short, dair quake is the coolest thing on he planet. It's pichu's best tool to deal with CC, since it combos into grab particularly well on CCing opponents.
It has a lot of application on platforms and with edgecancelling the quake into nair or uair.
It can also jab reset (although I usually prefer to fair in those situations).
Been reading your guide. I will spend some more time with quake. The fair seems the easiest, since it's like an aerial jab: plenty of hitboxes, not a lot of hitstun, but catches players offguard if it gets them during autopilot movement; which also means I won't get it if people ever start taking my pichu seriously, but there's little risk of that happening.
I played a falcon on FD today and dropped the chaingrab everytime I got a chance.
Upair....to grab whiff. Upsmash OoS...to grab whiff. Upthrow.... you get it.

I'd love to see more videos up here, though, even friendlies, if they're not just pichu and mewtwo trying to go under battlefield; so, I guess 'seriouslies' (that kind of excludes my second game against the g&w, where we were admiring pichu's crouch for a bit).

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
pika's quick attack definitely has a hitbox.

btw you can full jump nair and then PA back to the ground, which i'll try to play around with

do you guys think i could do back throw > wavedash to ledge > waveland to regrab them from illusion before they can act if i'm fast enough?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Rofl seriously tho, there are so many IC/Pichus its stupid.
There's delphiki, me, grim tuesday, ICG, chu dat, and like a ton more.

In regards to PA, yeah the startup is the major drawback. Im not a fan of over using it for that reason. Its 13 frames iirc (+4 off the ground since you have to wait for jumpsquat to end to get the wd)

Its definitely a very useful tool to have though.

Pichu also has like 3 or 4 different stalls with upB, but they are dumb and really difficult to do consistently for extended periods, I usually just use them to refresh invincibility while edgeguarding or stall on the edge momentarily when recovering.

@ Comet7 Comet7 for the bthrow thing, you should be able to, but its a tight window and they can easily avoid that position or stall so you can't invincible waveland (thus getting hit).
You can also accomplish the same thing with neutral get up from the ledge if you react quick enough.

In that situation I usually go for invulnerable reverse hit nair, I find it a lot easier and with a better pay off for lower risk.

shuall

Smash Apprentice
pika's quick attack definitely has a hitbox.
It has hurtboxes, including the weird one that stretches pichu out in the middle similar to pika's, however I thought unlike pika's there are no hitboxes, so you don't damage someone when you upb through them.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7

PsychoSoldier

Smash Cadet
To tell the truth you just got read the entire match. You probably outclass that guy in combo game (with both your falco and pichu) but you made it easy for him to tell when you were going to approach. Also I thought you weren't utilizing Pichu's tilts well enough (there was a sick up tilt combo that I have to mention) nor the grabs - and I mean off of nair (L-canceled Nair > grab at low percent is excellent against Non floaties that don't weigh much including marth and sheik) if they're not CCing. Another important thing - probably the most important - is that you (i dont actually know if you knew) didn't notice that he didn't know the match-up well. Sheik has an insane chaingrab game against Pichu even when Pichu DI's. You did a LOT of things right from some technical standpoints but capitalizing on the other players options (or mistakes) is where you didn't do so well.

Anyways - I hope to see more from you.....because the other Pichu's I've watched so far I haven't cared for in terms of their play. I wish my matches from this year were recorded. The match I linked were actually from when I had just picked up Pichu (like before I falsely discovered the "wavechu" that you guys call it - every time I think I discover something it has already been done.....except the kirby teleport)

Graymatter

Smash Cadet
To tell the truth you just got read the entire match. You probably outclass that guy in combo game (with both your falco and pichu) but you made it easy for him to tell when you were going to approach. Also I thought you weren't utilizing Pichu's tilts well enough (there was a sick up tilt combo that I have to mention) nor the grabs - and I mean off of nair (L-canceled Nair > grab at low percent is excellent against Non floaties that don't weigh much including marth and sheik) if they're not CCing. Another important thing - probably the most important - is that you (i dont actually know if you knew) didn't notice that he didn't know the match-up well. Sheik has an insane chaingrab game against Pichu even when Pichu DI's. You did a LOT of things right from some technical standpoints but capitalizing on the other players options (or mistakes) is where you didn't do so well.

Anyways - I hope to see more from you.....because the other Pichu's I've watched so far I haven't cared for in terms of their play. I wish my matches from this year were recorded. The match I linked were actually from when I had just picked up Pichu (like before I falsely discovered the "wavechu" that you guys call it - every time I think I discover something it has already been done.....except the kirby teleport)

Yeah I went into this match believing I was going to lose plus the set-up was "laggy" but I agree with you 100%

Graymatter

Smash Cadet
nice. sheik is a struggle. i don't agree with counterpicking YS, but w/e.i noticed that when you're in the corner, you tried to nair into center stage after a second or two which got you baired.
I'm most comfortable on yoshi's (reason for counterpick) also I hated my "panic nairs," thanks for the tip though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom