• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
They said it's a character from a franchise they've already done, so it's not Krystal
Yeah, and they also said it's from a franchise in Smash Bros., so that narrows it down to either a DK character or an Earthbound character. They also said the characters background would be yellow... I think, they didn't make it totally clear, but if that is the case that makes sense for Dixie, because of her big yellow ponytail. Pink makes more sense, but I mean Shovel Knight has a purple background and Isaac has a blue one.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Alrighty everyone. The final month of the ballot is upon us and within the 1st week of October, Sakurai will close the floodgates. In the time between then and now I'll be finishing up my moveset concepts for the girl with the whirl, hopefully inspiring everyone and reinforcing the fact that Dixie HAS potential to be unique.

Before I begin, I gotta warn y'all now: this is the largest post I've ever made. If many of you find this to take up an annoyingly huge amount of space, just tell me and I'll wrap collapse tags around it. Let's start.

Forward Throw:
So, y'all may have noticed that in my moveset, Dixie grabs with her hands, not her hair. Weird right? That doesn't make sense; why have her do that?? Using her hands over hair seems like a missed oppurtunity--one that's too iconic for her to pass up, right? Well it would be, if her Neutral Special didn't have it covered, and that's a topic I'm saving for later. For now, let me show you what happens when you throw enemies forward.

Ready for one last demonstration, Sandbag? Good, 'cuz when Dixie throws someone forward, you get her:
Cargo Grab:

After pressing forward while holding a foe, Dixie tosses and rolls them onto her ponytail and wraps it around them tightly. Man, Sandbag's in for it now...

With her victim snugly squeezed, the blonde kong is able to walk around with them, like DK but with her own differences. For one, she walks on all fours so she doesn't sacrifice speed, but her jump height depends on the weight of her victim. She's a middleweight, so characters lighter than her barely affect her jumps, but those with more weight than her do. Heavy fighters put a noticeable dent in this, and Super Heavyweights like Bowser and DK ensure she barely leaves the ground at all, reducing her to short-hop heights at best. She can't even jump if carrying a Metal Bowser. Her speed remains unaffected though, and her Cargo Carry's faster than DK's equivalent.

So, we know what happens when Dixie uses her Cargo Grab, but what about her Cargo Throws? Let's start with her Forward:
Cargo Forward: Cruel Catapult

As the name implies, Dixie effortlessly shifts her body forward and catapults her victim. The strength behind it is reliable, but not a guaranteed killer.
Cargo Down: Hair-Hamma Slamma

Dixie slams her foe down HARD. They bounce up with intensity, as this move is actually stronger than her regular Down Throw. There's no fire involved, I just got carried away with the ink.

Something about the name of the throw reminds me of that DKC cartoon...
Cargo Back: The Bucking Back Kick

Dixie rolls her foes of the tip of her hair and nails them with a mean back kick, like a wily horse unseating its rider. It's only a tad stronger than her standard back throw, but it has less knockback.
Cargo Up: Hair Hurl

Lastly, Dixie uses her hair to swing victims upward at a curved arc. It's far less powerful than her normal up throw, and the trajectory is less vertical than its counterpart too.

The Throws are finished and Sandbag can finally rest. I wanna extend a huge congrats to it for putting up with not 4 but 7 demonstrations as well as one massive thank you! Oddly enough, Dixie has a total of 12 throws in my moveset--more than any fighter ever. She has the potential to be a grapple-oriented fighter, the likes of which Smash has never seen, and it's all thanks to that huge arm growing out the back of her head. I've shown 8 (all these plus her Down Air) of her throws, the last 4 will be shown later, and each of them are very Special. Thankfully Sandbag won't be demonstrating, and what's even better, is that the next entry won't be as humongous as this. Hope y'all enjoyed this set, and keep the Dixie hype alive!

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Sorry that I haven't been active lately; I haven't had the motivation to check this thread with the information drought.

Alrighty everyone. The final month of the ballot is upon us and within the 1st week of October, Sakurai will close the floodgates. In the time between then and now I'll be finishing up my moveset concepts for the girl with the whirl, hopefully inspiring everyone and reinforcing the fact that Dixie HAS potential to be unique.

Before I begin, I gotta warn y'all now: this is the largest post I've ever made. If many of you find this to take up an annoyingly huge amount of space, just tell me and I'll wrap collapse tags around it. Let's start.

Forward Throw:
So, y'all may have noticed that in my moveset, Dixie grabs with her hands, not her hair. Weird right? That doesn't make sense; why have her do that?? Using her hands over hair seems like a missed oppurtunity--one that's too iconic for her to pass up, right? Well it would be, if her Neutral Special didn't have it covered, and that's a topic I'm saving for later. For now, let me show you what happens when you throw enemies forward.

Ready for one last demonstration, Sandbag? Good, 'cuz when Dixie throws someone forward, you get her:
Cargo Grab:

After pressing forward while holding a foe, Dixie tosses and rolls them onto her ponytail and wraps it around them tightly. Man, Sandbag's in for it now...

With her victim snugly squeezed, the blonde kong is able to walk around with them, like DK but with her own differences. For one, she walks on all fours so she doesn't sacrifice speed, but her jump height depends on the weight of her victim. She's a middleweight, so characters lighter than her barely affect her jumps, but those with more weight than her do. Heavy fighters put a noticeable dent in this, and Super Heavyweights like Bowser and DK ensure she barely leaves the ground at all, reducing her to short-hop heights at best. She can't even jump if carrying a Metal Bowser. Her speed remains unaffected though, and her Cargo Carry's faster than DK's equivalent.

So, we know what happens when Dixie uses her Cargo Grab, but what about her Cargo Throws? Let's start with her Forward:

As the name implies, Dixie effortlessly shifts her body forward and catapults her victim. The strength behind it is reliable, but not a guaranteed killer.

Dixie slams her foe down HARD. They bounce up with intensity, as this move is actually stronger than her regular Down Throw. There's no fire involved, I just got carried away with the ink.

Dixie rolls her foes of the tip of her hair and nails them with a mean back kick, like a wily horse unseating its rider. It's only a tad stronger than her standard back throw, but it has less knockback.

Lastly, Dixie uses her hair to swing victims upward at a curved arc. It's far less powerful than her normal up throw, and the trajectory is less vertical than its counterpart too.

The Throws are finished and Sandbag can finally rest. I wanna extend a huge congrats to it for putting up with not 4 but 7 demonstrations as well as one massive thank you! Oddly enough, Dixie has a total of 12 throws in my moveset--more than any fighter ever. She has the potential to be a grapple-oriented fighter, the likes of which Smash has never seen, and it's all thanks to that huge arm growing out the back of her head. I've shown 8 (all these plus her Down Air) of her throws, the last 4 will be shown later, and each of them are very Special. Thankfully Sandbag won't be demonstrating, and what's even better, is that the next entry won't be as humongous as this. Hope y'all enjoyed this set, and keep the Dixie hype alive!
OP updated with both of your recent posts. It's all coming together! I'm excited to see what you have planned for Dixie's specials, since that's what most people debate over. It seems like you have something very different planned from what I've seen or come up with, since you say that they are all throws.

@VeemonTamer That's awesome that you got Retro to retweet your moveset, and that you might be able to send out Dixie support to a lot of people on stream! I hope that can garner a little more push as we approach the end of the ballot period.

I can't wait to see what Omni does with Dixie if he is planning to Smashify her. If he does that, we should ask him if it's okay to put the image in our OP.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Has anyone seen this tweet by Smashified yet? They're asking people to reply either #TeamDixie or #TeamKumatora. You already know where my vote went.

https://mobile.twitter.com/smashified/status/639279904966754304
This is great news! I would love to see them take on Dixie and this is our chance to let them know. We gotta get this to happen.

Sorry that I haven't been active lately; I haven't had the motivation to check this thread with the information drought.

OP updated with both of your recent posts. It's all coming together! I'm excited to see what you have planned for Dixie's specials, since that's what most people debate over. It seems like you have something very different planned from what I've seen or come up with, since you say that they are all throws.

@VeemonTamer That's awesome that you got Retro to retweet your moveset, and that you might be able to send out Dixie support to a lot of people on stream! I hope that can garner a little more push as we approach the end of the ballot period.

I can't wait to see what Omni does with Dixie if he is planning to Smashify her. If he does that, we should ask him if it's okay to put the image in our OP.
Thank you very, very much for the updates and positivity. I'll have more to show soon, but I may have worded things wrong in regard to the Specials; I actually only have 1 Special that results in a grab while the other 3 don't. It's like how Marth's Dancing Blade in that it behaves differently based on the inputs. I thought I should just say it now.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I never said it was. But seriously think about it, all the hints they've been giving about the next smashified character apply to both Dixie and Kumatora, and then they ask fans to choose who's more popular? Hmm...
Dixie is probably getting Smashified next, but I was just saying that Smashfest (what they call the contest) doesn't relate to their characters they pick.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman

Forward Throw:

Cargo Grab:

After seeing these, I want this Dixie in the game!....unfortunately, I can't Sakurai doing anything REMOTLY as interesting as what I saw here...I Don't know how to feel anymore...

DixieJiggly

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZATCH BELL
3DS FC
0903-2824-3011
TeamDixie for Win! we will give all our vote in this poll twitter, I'm dying to see a Dixie smashfield

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
After seeing these, I want this Dixie in the game!....unfortunately, I can't Sakurai doing anything REMOTLY as interesting as what I saw here...I Don't know how to feel anymore...
why? Sakurai designes in a beautiful and interesting ways his characters. Without exaggerations, of course. Plain and simple, but interesting and efficient

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Appeartly the next Smashified character features the color blue, so it's not going to be Dixie
Tiny Kong Kongfirmed
They could have Dixies' blue guitar in her artwork, but that'd be a bit weird.

Appeartly the next Smashified character features the color blue, so it's not going to be Dixie
Tiny Kong Kongfirmed
Are they seriously doing Kumatora before Dixie? I love Kumatora, I really do. Bu doing her before Dixie after the backlash from Travis is just silly. Dixie is such an awesome character and they want to do someone far less popular and likely?

*sigh* I was really really looking forward to Dixie's artwork too :/

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Tiny Kong Kongfirmed
That could be possible, I dunno but the way he says it implies that there wouldn't be a lot of blue, however Kumatora's whole outfit is blue... Or I'm just hopeful and looking to deeply into things

DixieJiggly

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZATCH BELL
3DS FC
0903-2824-3011
If they Kumatora before Dixie, hate Smashfield, that child is much less important than Dixie, Earth Bound is not as important as DK is also more popular saga Kumatora Paula (I neither knew) is not fair, Dixie deserves more respect once more what I said, apparently long as no surveys of any kind and Dixie is in it who cares who put him as a rival, everyone preferred over Dixie met, but I hate so, look at the twitter survey Smashfield and people voting overwhelmingly this Kumatora wtf? so it is normal that Sakurai not want to put poor Dixie in Smash, everyone underestimates, sorry for the fans Kumatora that are in this thread, I really have nothing against it, but that gives me a lot I always vote for any character rather than Dixie, if K.Rool, if Kumatora, enough, Dixie must win ever not? This is shocking to me that Smashfield enfin stay with their Kumatora, we have the 3D render made with much love @VeemonTamer , I prefer to render, if you value her Dixie as she deserves not as fools Smashfield

Sorry if some things are not well understood, as translator use

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
This is great news! I would love to see them take on Dixie and this is our chance to let them know. We gotta get this to happen.

Thank you very, very much for the updates and positivity. I'll have more to show soon, but I may have worded things wrong in regard to the Specials; I actually only have 1 Special that results in a grab while the other 3 don't. It's like how Marth's Dancing Blade in that it behaves differently based on the inputs. I thought I should just say it now.
Oh. I didn't even think of that possibility. That makes me even more intrigued to see what you have come up with.

On the other subject, it sounds to me like the next Smashified is likely going to be Kumatora. If it is Kumatora, I can't say that I'm not disappointed that they chose her over Dixie, but oh well. They've already made their decision. Besides, I love Mother 3, and Kumatora was one of my favorite characters. I feel that she should have been added as a bonus alt for Lucas, like Alph.

I really hope we get a fighter announcement soon. This info drought is killing me. After I got bodied hard by a really good Mario at a tournament recently, I've started to lose interest in this game competitively. The only thing that keeps me invested at this point is the possibility of what's to come as DLC. I'm pretty sure that Dixie being added will be the only thing that gets me back into it, save for a massive Palutena redesign/buff (which I'm not holding out for).

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
If they Kumatora before Dixie, hate Smashfield, that child is much less important than Dixie, Earth Bound is not as important as DK is also more popular saga Kumatora Paula (I neither knew) is not fair, Dixie deserves more respect once more what I said, apparently long as no surveys of any kind and Dixie is in it who cares who put him as a rival, everyone preferred over Dixie met, but I hate so, look at the twitter survey Smashfield and people voting overwhelmingly this Kumatora wtf? so it is normal that Sakurai not want to put poor Dixie in Smash, everyone underestimates, sorry for the fans Kumatora that are in this thread, I really have nothing against it, but that gives me a lot I always vote for any character rather than Dixie, if K.Rool, if Kumatora, enough, Dixie must win ever not? This is shocking to me that Smashfield enfin stay with their Kumatora, we have the 3D render made with much love @VeemonTamer , I prefer to render, if you value her Dixie as she deserves not as fools Smashfield

Sorry if some things are not well understood, as translator use
Kumatora isn't even an Earthbound character tho

MrNantendo

Smash Cadet
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/05/dk-jr-ds/

So everyone here is obviously a Donkey Kong series fan and wants Dixie, and while i do think Dixie is probably most deserving, i did a write up for Donkey Kong Jr. and how he might play because Sakurai loves his obscure characters and i could easily see him putting DK Jr. in as a donkey kong rep.

Reila

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/05/dk-jr-ds/

So everyone here is obviously a Donkey Kong series fan and wants Dixie, and while i do think Dixie is probably most deserving, i did a write up for Donkey Kong Jr. and how he might play because Sakurai loves his obscure characters and i could easily see him putting DK Jr. in as a donkey kong rep.
The only issue with DK Jr. is that according to Sakurai himself, the following DLC characters will all be fanservice. DK Jr. wouldn't really fit that criteria.

Reila

She's in the Earthbound series dude. I call it Mother, some others call it Earthbound. She's in Mother 3.
First, I am not a dude. Second, Kumatora comes from the game called Mother 3, not from Earthbound or Earthbound Zero, therefore she isn't from Earthbound.

MrNantendo

Smash Cadet
The only issue with DK Jr. is that according to Sakurai himself, the following DLC characters will all be fanservice. DK Jr. wouldn't really fit that criteria.
True. I think he is very likely for Smash 5 because between him and Sheriff there is not really any other meaningful retro character left. Then again he could be fanservice to those old Nintendo fans who grew up playing Donkey Kong.

MrNantendo

Smash Cadet
Excitebiker...
I think he fits more into the retro category that Ice Climbers and Pit take up. Same for Balloon Fighter or Takamaru.

There are two retro categories for Sakurai. The regular one as said above and then the surprise/meaningful one that Game & Watch, ROB and Duck Hunt fall under. That is what DK Jr. would be.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I think he fits more into the retro category that Ice Climbers and Pit take up. Same for Balloon Fighter or Takamaru.

There are two retro categories for Sakurai. The regular one as said above and then the surprise/meaningful one that Game & Watch, ROB and Duck Hunt fall under. That is what DK Jr. would be.
You mean hardware characters. DK jr. isn't really a hardware character.

DixieJiggly

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZATCH BELL
3DS FC
0903-2824-3011
Kumatora isn't even an Earthbound character tho
I'm sorry for my Earthbound and Mother 3 it is the same, because after all it is the same series, but looks Smash, Ness and Lucas are put in the same series, with the same logo of the franchise

Top Bottom