• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Original Girl With the Whirl: Dixie Kong Support Thread

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Full render here
This is so adorable! I have to admit though, Dixie looks....REALLY young here. But, doesn't bother me as much as the initial Smashified look for Isaac. I can even picture Dixie looking SOMEWHAT like this for Smash. BTW, I'm not he only one who gets a Diddy Kong vibe from this, right? I mean Diddy's artwork from Smash 4, and that...might not be too in Dixie's favor. But still, you'd have to be a bit immature to let that bother you too much.

Reds94

Smash Cadet
@VeemonTamer Looks like you were 100% right on their blue hint referring to their color mixing! I really like how she turned out in the Smashified, she matches next to Diddy's render really well.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
Elma confirmed. :troll:

Congrats on Dixie since I've been waiting for her to be Smashified since they had finished K. Rool.
Fixed that for you because of her blue eyes. :troll:

Edit: How rude of me. Congratulations to all of the Dixie Kong fans! I know I don't post a lot here, but I really do want (and need) her in Smash.

Last edited:

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I think the only issues that I have with the render are that I think the head looks too big (which makes her look really young, as people have said), and I think the ponytail looks a little too small. Other than that, I think it looks really well done. While the mirroring of Diddy's render doesn't help the "she would be a clone" situation, I still think it's a really neat idea artistically. Diddy and Dixie have always been similar in design, and I think that it should be reflected in something like this. Also, I love Nathaniel's arrangement of DKC2's music. It makes me giddy with nostalgia to hear it.

As far as the ballot goes, I think we've done all that we can for Dixie, and now we just have to wait and see how this all turns out. I'm hoping she's done as well as people have been reporting.

DixieJiggly

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZATCH BELL
3DS FC
0903-2824-3011
Yes! Dixie got its Smash Field! looks beautiful, I'm glad I finally chose Dixie Smash Field, and takes very little to see if Dixie really will be in Smash, only 3 days more, I thought I would leave today's update will see characters, but apparently only scenarios costumes (Dixie still without a suit, which gives you an opportunity to be playable, or in the worst case, that Sakurai not want or suit)

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
I don't think we will know the results the 3 october...
Actually I think they'll say us who will be the first dlc character(s) without saying us the final ranking, and they will say that only at the end of month

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I don't think we will know the DLC characters resulting from the ballot until they are almost ready to be released. I also don't think they will share the results at all.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I love the detail put into Dixie's Smashified render, the way the colors pop match the bright colors of official art so that's a huge plus, and I gotta give them props for the idea behind her pose. From a design perspective, they're 100% right--these two kongs were made for each other and you could see it back in DKC 2. The fur flows nicely, the eyes look beautiful and that cartoony monkey look has been nailed.

The only things I take slight (key word) issue with is the kong herself. They want it to match Diddy's work, but when you line them up side by side as intended Diddy makes her look even younger than she already does. The head's not in proportion to her body, and while the hair is gorgeous, the ponytail is a bit short. Dixie's fur is also lighter than Diddy's nowadays; in DKCTF's cutscenes for example, Dixie's fur leans more toward the yellow side of the color spectrum. There's some brown in there but it's a yellowish brown--you see it especially when the lights shining on her fur; it's as if Dixie's hair is more of an extension of her fur with a prominent yellow color while her fur is more on the brown side but still has the yellow tone. This kinda blurs the line between what her fur is and what her hair is--which I like Retro for making this, and while it may be a matter of taste, I wish Smashified did something similar. Other than this I think it's a good render; the music was great for blending not only K.Rool Returns, Jib Jig and the Boss Theme of DKC2, but also Aqueduct Assault from Tropical Freeze. Good stuff overall, and while not "perfect" (subjective I know right?) I'm happy with it.

And now that I've critiqued someone else's art, I'd like to open myself to criticism and show yet another idea, likely the last before Oct 3 comes and goes. Let's begin:

Forward Special: Sound Blast

Dixie takes out her guitar from Tropical Freeze and strikes with a wave of sound! Simply press the input and you'll get a small wave, but smash the input like Samus's Missiles to get a wave like the one above. The closer the opponent is to the guitar itself, the stronger the strike--it's like when you put your ears too close to a microphone, only weaponized in this case.

The result can be deafening, but the wave isn't far-reaching even when pressed with force. It travels almost as far as the starbits from Rosalina's Luma Shot, and those that are hit by the wave are pushed away and may be stunned, depending on how close they were to the instrument. When it comes to damage, it's laughable, but the real power comes from the knockback--which isn't spectacular, but very reliable for pushing people away--as well as the hitstun, which really kicks in for those who get too close. The most potent blast comes from the inner blue circle--those hit by that will be pushed through the entire wave and paralyzed at the same time, about as long as a fully charged shot from Zero Suit Samus. That will no doubt give Dixie time to hit you or catch with her Neutral Special, which is a grab, so be careful. Luckily though, that only applies to those caught in a full blast; if you're only caught in the outer wave of a full blast you'll be stunned for a second and still be pushed back, and if you're hit with a regular blast you'll be moved back without any hitstun.

This move is mainly defensive, meant to teach close-quarter opponents about personal space and allow Dixie to unleash some mean hair attacks. Those at the edge of the wave won't be feeling the strength of this strike, and while the inner circle isn't deadly like Jigglypuff's Down B or Luigi's Up B, it's still a potent force.

That's the concept for the Forward Special. I wanted her to use her guitar but I wasn't sure which one at first. DKC2's is nostalgic but I like DKCTF's more so I used that, and as a musical instrument attack I looked at DK64, Jungle Beat, DK's Final Smash and Barbara's AT for inspiration. I wanted it to be like a depowered version of DK's and focus on one direction as well as be defensive. I also colored it in a way that separates it from the latter 2's sound attacks. This is likely to be the only Special I can show you guys in time however--I might have Squawks ready but I doubt it. I'll still finish what's left but as these threads might get locked after Oct 3rd, I'll probably upload these somewhere else. Hope you guys and gals like the drawing!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just cast a vote for Dixie... this is what I wrote:

Dixie has always been my favorite character in Donkey Kong games. I love how versatile her hair is... she can use it to pick up large heavy objects and spin it to float in the air and use it to whip enemies. Contrary to popular belief, she can be a very unique fighter who has nothing in common with Diddy Kong. Maybe Dixie could have Ellie the Elephant and Kiddy Kong as part of her moveset! It also would be nice to have Kongo Jungle from Melee (the waterfall one with the logs) as a DLC stage to accompany Dixie. Please don't bring back Rumble Falls from Brawl.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Another interesting Dixie's move involving her ponytail could be a mid-distance command grab...which can be used also mid-air !

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Another interesting Dixie's move involving her ponytail could be a mid-distance command grab...which can be used also mid-air !
Oh yeah that's the idea for my neutral special, in which she swings her hair to grab then automatically throws you opposite of the direction foes were grabbed from.

Spatman

Smash Ace
the thirst of Dixie brings me to buy DKC2 at the e-shop, though I have many tasks to do and some games to complete (among them, Tropical Freeze).
But I fear that this game make my hype increase and to be consequently even more disappointed if Dixie won't be in...

anyway... I'm voting for Dixie on Smash Ballot. I wrote this: "Dixie is the last main character of one of the most important Nintendo series who still misses from Smash Bros. She can provide an unique playstyle thanks to the combination of her body structure with her ponytail. Moreover she can brings in Smash some still missing features of Donkey Kong Country series, such as barrels (cannon), animals and her guitar. I would love a dlc bundle with playable Dixie and K Rool "

are there grammatical errors I should correct?

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
the thirst of Dixie brings me to buy DKC2 at the e-shop, though I have many tasks to do and some games to complete (among them, Tropical Freeze).
But I fear that this game make my hype increase and to be consequently even more disappointed if Dixie won't be in...

anyway... I'm voting for Dixie on Smash Ballot. I wrote this: "Dixie is the last main character of one of the most important Nintendo series who is still missing from Smash Bros. She can provide a unique playstyle thanks to the combination of her body structure and her ponytail. Moreover, she can bring features of the Donkey Kong Country series that are still missing in Smash, such as barrels (cannon), animals and her guitar. I would love a dlc bundle with playable Dixie and K Rool "

are there grammatical errors I should correct?
I fixed the errors for you. Really hoping Dixie makes it in Smash.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I fixed the errors for you. Really hoping Dixie makes it in Smash.
Thank you! ;)
Me too... but... I'm a bit pessimistic about her possibilities...
Anyway! My vote has been submitted. Tomorrow I will use all my other devices to submit other 5-6 votes

Ps: DKC2 is still a wonderful masterpiece

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Thank you! ;)
Me too... but... I'm a bit pessimistic about her possibilities...
Anyway! My vote has been submitted. Tomorrow I will use all my other devices to submit other 5-6 votes

Ps: DKC2 is still a wonderful masterpiece
I think her chances ride on whether or not Mii costumes disconfirm characters. I saw K. Rool and Inklings as the most likely DLC newcomers, but if the Mii costumes of them mean they won't be playable then I find Dixie to be a lot more likely.

Reds94

Smash Cadet
I personally think she has a pretty high chance. The only person I think could get in before her would be Wolf. Though I also thought she'd be in the base game so my predictions aren't too great.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
yes and no
yes 3 characters. it looks like 3 stages. Another tweet he corrected himself and there are 6 slots. Half of which go to omega mode.
so 3 and 3 (assuming nothing changes)
I see.

Maybe Wolf, a Zelda newcomer, and a Donkey Kong newcomer... people have been complaining about how SSB4 cut Wolf and didn't add newcomers for Zelda and Donkey Kong for over a year.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Just gonna sneak this on in here

Things just got a Little less competitive.
a little MORE competitive, I guess...
until now I thought there will be at least 4 new characters (Wolf + 3 from the ballot), and maybe 4 more characters (2 other veterans and 2 other newcomers from ballot). Now suddenly it seems we will have 3 characters and no more, and I fear there aren't slot for Dixie :(
Godzilla is right, it depends much by the meaning of K Rool's and Inkling's costume, but... for me these costumes don't mean necessarily something, so...

bonus pic from my new game of DKC2:
12094975_10208321143613084_8211556422447205829_o.jpg

Diddy leaves our little lady by feet :(
...aaand.... she is doing something really weird to Rambi, I guess...

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Just gonna sneak this on in here

Things just got a Little less competitive.
This is really exciting. It makes sense to have a final pre-ballot fighter and then 2 post ballot ones. If the pre-ballot choice is a cut veteran than that should eliminate all the votes for that character, making newcomer choices easier to spot hopefully.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Pirate ship was predicted by so many people I really don't see why it matters.

Especially because of how unlikely bomberman is.

Also that first and last paragraphs are common tells that a leaker is fake.
I'm not saying it's definitely true, but it does seem possible. Not only did he predict the correct returning stage without guessing others at the same time, but he also said there'd be three characters, which the datamining suggests is true.

Also where is that K. Rool render from? It uses his costume textures.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
I don't believe that leak, but if it should be real, well, it will be not only disappointing, but also quite awful. Only 3 characters? With a veteran and...bomberman?!? That's horrible. And no Dixie, of course...
No female characters at all.
And bomberman... my god... what shameful design.. what a boring concept..
I know there are Bomberman's fans, maybe here too, so please consider that this is only my personal opinion and tastes

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
If I'm being honest, I think it's incredibly telling that there isn't a Dixie hat/ponytail Mii costume yet, whereas there is a K Rool one. I've got a sneaking suspicion that this thread will be celebrating soon. But it's the same ESP feeling I had about Robin 4 days before he was unveiled (Disregard the fact that I also said Ridley at the time).

If I'm wrong then just forget I said anything.

I don't believe that leak, but if it should be real, well, it will be not only disappointing, but also quite awful. Only 3 characters? With a veteran and...bomberman?!? That's horrible. And no Dixie, of course...
No female characters at all.
And bomberman... my god... what shameful design.. what a boring concept..
I know there are Bomberman's fans, maybe here too, so please consider that this is only my personal opinion and tastes
I'm not a huge Bomberman supporter but I think there are far worse choices. I often compare Bomberman and Megaman as being very similar cacti and tbh I think he'd fit well. I don't think he'd be unlikely at all, either.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
If I'm being honest, I think it's incredibly telling that there isn't a Dixie hat/ponytail Mii costume yet, whereas there is a K Rool one. I've got a sneaking suspicion that this thread will be celebrating soon. But it's the same ESP feeling I had about Robin 4 days before he was unveiled (Disregard the fact that I also said Ridley at the time).

If I'm wrong then just forget I said anything.

I'm not a huge Bomberman supporter but I think there are far worse choices. I often compare Bomberman and Megaman as being very similar cacti and tbh I think he'd fit well. I don't think he'd be unlikely at all, either.
Maybe it means only that Sakurai thinks people wouldn't buy a mii costume based on Dixie... it would be really sad...
How much it would be wonderful, if you was right...

Reds94

Smash Cadet
Bomberman is my only other character I'd like to see. I've kind of dismissed him since Konami got a hold of him but I would like to see him if he does make it in somehow. I agree with Kevandre Kevandre , I've got a feeling she's coming. With no new DK reps in the base game and K.Rool getting a Mii costume, I think she's the front runner for the front running series. Just my thoughts doe.

Top Bottom