• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The One Chop Technique?

Derik

Smash Rookie
I think we should gather all the footage of this glitch/technique that we can find in order to see what patterns we see throughout all of the videos. With that said here's an online for glory match against sonic. After I reviewed it and went to training to try it out I was able to do it one more time and never again. The way I did it was by dashing during the watering can frames towards the tree and axing it as quick as possible. I believe there's something about being very close to or even inside the tree with some momentum for the chop to be successful.

SerbianVillager

Smash Cadet
NNID
StevoNaLevo
I think we should gather all the footage of this glitch/technique that we can find in order to see what patterns we see throughout all of the videos. With that said here's an online for glory match against sonic. After I reviewed it and went to training to try it out I was able to do it one more time and never again. The way I did it was by dashing during the watering can frames towards the tree and axing it as quick as possible. I believe there's something about being very close to or even inside the tree with some momentum for the chop to be successful.

It kind of looks like the tree starts to come down right after sonic hits it, no?

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
WCSC? (Watering Can Slide Chop) I think it looks more like a slide than a dash.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It SHOULD be possible from a dash too, since a water can slide is at ground level.

I'm gonna test this.

if so, we can just call it the DOC

Dashing One-Chop

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Sooooo..... Everyone has figured this out right?

Because I am totally lost...

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
We kinda have.

It's all about chopping the right spot with the right timing.

We just haven't mastered it.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
So from what i've read so far...

You chop somewhere inside the tree?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
You dash into the tree and chop it as you're basically inside.

Like if you're chopping with the handle.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
You dash into the tree and chop it as you're basically inside.

Like if you're chopping with the handle.
I completely forgot to say this!

About 30 minutes ago. I was in a 1-1 match and I had tree up. I was fighting Kirby, and I accidently used the axe.

We where close together and the axe came in contact to Kirby, even though I was facing the wrong direction.

I saved it and I might make an edit or an extra post of video footage of what happened, because I think it might solve something with the one chop mystery.

Last edited:

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Has anyone tried doing the one chop facing backwards? Like maybe jumping in while facing backwards?

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Maybe. I was thinking if you need to chop it with the handle, then chopping it backwards may make it easier to hit it with that part. Probably not, but I was wondering if anybody had tried before.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Hmm...I guess that's true. I'll give it a try later.

Haven't been able to do it at all yet, but hey, now we know we don't need to jump, we just need to be inside the tree XD

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Hmm...I guess that's true. I'll give it a try later.

Haven't been able to do it at all yet, but hey, now we know we don't need to jump, we just need to be inside the tree XD
Now we just need to find the final clue of mastering it.

Oh cool, I just imagined Villager dressed up as Sherlock! :D

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
I've gotten this 5 times online by accident without going into training.
Every time it's been during a forward jump with an axe during the start of the falling of a SH, somewhere next to inside the tree.
But I have gotten it once with the very edge of the axe during a SH, didn't make any sense, and the replay was forever ago and unable to be seen cause the patch :/
Best to try keeping the axe inside the tree I guess is the relation we've gotten so far.

Typhy

Smash Rookie
Okay, so I've been pretty consistent with this. 25/40 tries? It's not that difficult. So it deals with your positioning with the tree and timing. You can do it from a jump axe or a dash axe. I think dashing then axe is a lot easier. I don't think it works with a reverse axe. At least for now. You're goal is to go as far as you can into the tree while retaining momentum. The frame window is extremely low to do this so just practicing the timing is tedious and annoying :/

Edit: So I guess you can reverse axe it haha. I guess it's even easier?

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I just got back from a debate tournament. x-x

I'm gonna try this again today.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
I learned it's possible to get the OC just by running into the tree a certain way. You just kinda run into it as far as you can without going past it, then chop it, and it should work. I was able to get it a few times this way.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I learned it's possible to get the OC just by running into the tree a certain way. You just kinda run into it as far as you can without going past it, then chop it, and it should work. I was able to get it a few times this way.
I figured that'd be possible. Still trying to get it down with the waterslide, but knowing we can run into it and chop makes me happy.

Now we gotta start trying this on an opponent.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
I don't think this has to do with being in a tree, I got it earlier as I was falling from a launch, and then I perfect pivot axed, which brought a tree I had not cut up and axed it on the very edge of the pixel, and one cut. This has happened to me 3 times (in different scenarios where I launch at it), and the idiot that I am has forgotten to save it cause I'm smart >_>

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I don't think this has to do with being in a tree, I got it earlier as I was falling from a launch, and then I perfect pivot axed, which brought a tree I had not cut up and axed it on the very edge of the pixel, and one cut. This has happened to me 3 times (in different scenarios where I launch at it), and the idiot that I am has forgotten to save it cause I'm smart >_>
Any time I got it to work, I was extremely close to the tree. Are you saying you one-chopped while being almost outside the cutting range?

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Huh! Very interesting! Never heard of this, but I'll have to practice a lot. In regards to trying to understand how the game allows this to happen - is it that... when the tree comes up it has a hitbox. So when you startup axe...maybe the axe hitbox extends to the tree's hurtbox that counts as one chop and then the rest of the axe hitbox is still active and the tree, now grown, is kinda different in that there's no hitbox - just hurtbox and uhh... then... the axe hitbox hits the tree again cause of the extended... err...

Well in any case it's really neat!

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Huh! Very interesting! Never heard of this, but I'll have to practice a lot. In regards to trying to understand how the game allows this to happen - is it that... when the tree comes up it has a hitbox. So when you startup axe...maybe the axe hitbox extends to the tree's hurtbox that counts as one chop and then the rest of the axe hitbox is still active and the tree, now grown, is kinda different in that there's no hitbox - just hurtbox and uhh... then... the axe hitbox hits the tree again cause of the extended... err...

Well in any case it's really neat!
Can't be, cuz it can be done after the hitbox is gone.

I've done it that way.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Can't be, cuz it can be done after the hitbox is gone.

I've done it that way.
Hm! Weird! Wonder why it works then... Axe only has one hitbox right? Or maybe the game treats the tree growing and the tree grown as two different properties. I guess when it's growing it's a melee move, but when it's chopped it becomes a projectile so... maybe?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Hm! Weird! Wonder why it works then... Axe only has one hitbox right? Or maybe the game treats the tree growing and the tree grown as two different properties. I guess when it's growing it's a melee move, but when it's chopped it becomes a projectile so... maybe?
The theory thus far, is that the axe has a hitbox in the blade AND the hilt, so if you can hit it close enough,you can get it with both of those.
Which would theoretically allow for double axe hits, dealing 32% damage fresh

But that's just a theory.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
Wouldn't that make two sounds? I mean having two hitboxes would work on things not tree if that was the case.
Theory needs reworking

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Wouldn't that make two sounds? I mean having two hitboxes would work on things not tree if that was the case.
Theory needs reworking
Correction, needs testing.
It hasn't been proven yet that you can't hit something with 2 hitboxes of the axe

Also, got any better ideas?

Top Bottom