• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Olimar and Alph Social thread!

Do you think Alph should become a clone?

• Keep him as an Alt.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Give him the Lucina and Dark Pit treatmen (plus Rock Pikmin).

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Actually, it's hard to imagine Louie having alternate skins of other characters, given what his taunts and whatnot would be like.

D

Deleted member

Hey.

Just to let you know guys, that tomorrow is the last Smash Ultimate Direct before the game releases, i wanna mention that i plan to leave Smashboards after the Direct happens (either by requesting a perma ban or by terminating my account), and therefore if anyone wants to take ownership of this social, please say so. That way the ownership will be transferred to someone else.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
The new throw animations are crispety crunchety. Prob not gonna help an Olimar main but it will help new players understand variable arcs.

Shrumbus

Smash Rookie
The last smash direct proved that Olimar's signature bulging eyes have still been included, so I got everything I wanted. I'm still wondering what blue pikmin will do if grab-color is removed, though.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Grab differences between colors is still in. A few people got to play him and confirmed that the first color in your line dictates the attributes. So a blue in front will still kill with up throw.

Jeck

Smash Journeyman
Grab differences between colors is still in. A few people got to play him and confirmed that the first color in your line dictates the attributes. So a blue in front will still kill with up throw.
That is a breath of fresh air. Although honestly, nothing was pointing toward them removing the skill from Olimar in the iteration.

Shrumbus

Smash Rookie
YUUUSSSSSS

Expected, but I'm still really relieved. Grab-color is probably my favorite part of Olimar's design. (mechanically, that is)

I've been disappointed with the comparative lack of Olimar footage available, but with the upcoming hands-on events hopefully that'll change soon.

Last edited:

Shrumbus

Smash Rookie
I've seen a few do it actually. Pikachu and Olimar are pretty much the first 2 on most that I've seen. I can't say I know much of why but it's pretty common.
I hope Olimar's overall tier-ing never puts him within the top 10 like in brawl. I don't like players that pick up characters based on perceived viability, and I don't feel like smash 4 Olimar needed any significant buffs.

Or maybe years of Olimar exposure has turned me into a total hipster.

Axicos

Smash Rookie
I hope Olimar's overall tier-ing never puts him within the top 10 like in brawl. I don't like players that pick up characters based on perceived viability, and I don't feel like smash 4 Olimar needed any significant buffs.

Or maybe years of Olimar exposure has turned me into a total hipster.
Olimar is a hard character to learn, because of how his Pikmin mechanic needs a lot of knowledge of the character to be used on a top level. Sure, there might be some people who play him for the high skill floor and reward, but I doubt he'll be seen as much compared to Pikachu, for example.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I wouldn't say things are that definitive yet by any means, but they speculate that pika will be among the very top tier.
I'll ride the Dabuz train thanks
but if that's true then doesn't that mean pichu won't be very far behind him

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'll ride the Dabuz train thanks
but if that's true then doesn't that mean pichu won't be very far behind him
Yup, hilariously Pichu is generally ranked higher than like, half the cast. I think there are othe Melee clones that they're legit ranked better than (even if you don't count Ganon, cos that's a given:p)

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Yup, hilariously Pichu is generally ranked higher than like, half the cast. I think there are othe Melee clones that they're legit ranked better than (even if you don't count Ganon, cos that's a given:p)
Pichu is gonna be like, top 20

Valand43

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone, I'm unsure if this is the thread to ask, but would there by anychance be an Olimar Discord I can get a link to? Olimar main here looking to really get a lot better in Ultimate.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Hi everybody! I'm surprised I've never posted here before, but I'm a huge Pikmin fan and so I used to main Olimar alongside Snake back in Brawl, but for several reasons I dropped him in For, but now in Ultimate I want to go back to him, so as any of you any tips for a fellow Olimar main wanna be?

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Hi everybody! I'm surprised I've never posted here before, but I'm a huge Pikmin fan and so I used to main Olimar alongside Snake back in Brawl, but for several reasons I dropped him in For, but now in Ultimate I want to go back to him, so as any of you any tips for a fellow Olimar main wanna be?
Note that pikmin throw applies extra shield pressure especially after an aerial such as fair. Also pikmin throw should be spammed to the high heavens. If the opponent shields a latched pikmin they get more shield stun meaning that they can’t punish as easily as they could. Olimar is primarily about scouting habits with pikmin and using olimar himself to bypass those habits

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Note that pikmin throw applies extra shield pressure especially after an aerial such as fair. Also pikmin throw should be spammed to the high heavens. If the opponent shields a latched pikmin they get more shield stun meaning that they can’t punish as easily as they could. Olimar is primarily about scouting habits with pikmin and using olimar himself to bypass those habits
Probably that's my biggest problem. Back in Brawl I had no problem using Pikmin throw, but now that he is limited to only 3 I keep fearing that if I thow them they will easely be defeated and I will remain powerless, especially since plugging them can be punished quite easely on small stages like Final Destination or Battlefield.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Question fellow Olimars,
In which order should I prioritize my kill moves? Like which should I be hoping to land most often compared to others.
To put it in another way, What are Olimar's best kill moves in order from best to worst?

dtm

Smash Rookie
Hey, does anyone know where I could find a link to the Olimar discord?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
He can be very explosive with his punishes and make the most out of little openings, mix that will the difficult wall he can put up as well as force a response from the opponent and you get a character that can deal with most options or make the opponent play a way they may not find ideal. He's also small which can be hard to hit, has solid range on attacks, one of if not the best kill throw in the game, transcendent aerials, and one of the best combo break tools in the game.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
He can be very explosive with his punishes and make the most out of little openings, mix that will the difficult wall he can put up as well as force a response from the opponent and you get a character that can deal with most options or make the opponent play a way they may not find ideal. He's also small which can be hard to hit, has solid range on attacks, one of if not the best kill throw in the game, transcendent aerials, and one of the best combo break tools in the game.
Aha, what’s the best way to play Olimar? Campy or more offensive?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
It's totally dependent on your lineup, stage, and matchup. The nice thing about Olimar is that he can do both very well.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Well 2 purples and yellow can serve as either but can be quite potent for aggressive play since you can pressure with purple side-b and the yellow range. White, blue, purple could serve as more defensive since the white Pikmin has longer grab range for baiting and you can use more retreating side-bs to try and force an approach. Those are just broad examples and you could play offense/defense with either of them.

Last edited:

Chosen_Hero

Smash Rookie
I'm really trying to get better with whistle. I do not use it nearly enough, and by that I mean, not at all to break combos.

....I know I know, I'm missing out on a great tool. Does anyone have any advice on how to practice it besides just throwing it out over and over until I get the feel for it? Every time before a match I tell myself, "use whistle.," but I always seem to forget. I'm happy to do the throwing out method, just didn't know if there was another way to practice it.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I know some people like to practice it in training mode with falco lasers or a green shell between a wall. But if you're forgetting to use it then it's probably a different issue. Just keep reminding yourself mid game.

Chosen_Hero

Smash Rookie
Is anyone else pretty peeved about olimar’s shield STILL not being fixed? I figured that it would be a 4.1 fix, but since there was of course no 4.1, maybe 5.1 will save us? It’s just super annoying to make the right play, be ready to punish, but oh no I got shield poked with a full/near full shield.

Especially because Pikmin themselves are so finicky. When you fast fall through a platform, I’ve had some occasions when they fall with me, then some when they get stuck on the platform. They get stuck running at the end of a platform and can’t seem to get off. Of course at the edge sometimes they are floating right next to the edge trying to get to you, and sometimes they’re right next to you at the ledge but the attack just doesn’t come out because I guess they are running back and forth trying to get in line. Sometimes they’re RIGHT NEXT TO YOU but because I think they ran too close too you and are in the process of backing up slightly your attack just doesn’t come out. I’ve had Pikmin issue after Pikmin issue. I know that I should work on my movement to prevent these, and I am, but it’s still very annoying because ledges and platforms aren’t their only issue. Sometimes when I empty hop and plan to punish, the Pikmin decide that this time they want to be more floaty in the air than usual and fall back more slowly so I can’t attack with them.

Sorry for the mini rant, but I just find it a bit annoying that everyone called for olimar’s nerfing when they don’t even realize how buggy Pikmin already are.

On a more constructive note, if anyone could please tell me some movement or timing options to help with preventing the previously mentioned Pikmin issues, I would be really appreciative!

Last edited:
Top Bottom