• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official WV Thread! (***NEWS AND ADDITIONS as of 2/29***)

Banee

Smash Cadet
Hey. I'm in the Athens/Princeton area in Mercer County. I am really interested in getting into the tournament scene and am willing to drive a fair distance to attend any serious tournies. I try to keep up with the competitive community, the various discoveries/techs. Although, the only real practice I get is with my friends so my experience is pretty limited, but I wish to fix that.

I'm also willing to play online just about any time. Just PM with your friend code.

Also, I can bring friends and a wii (possibly 2) for any tournies held. I am completely willing to drive to Madison or Charleston and perhaps farther. Just pm me and let me know of any tournies being held in the region.

killaxmayne

Smash Apprentice
We are trying to get a tourney going in Madison though we are being a bit held since this is Prom weekend but hopefully the show will get on the road soon. I am hopeful that we could bring 10+ from the Madison area to a tourney even if one took place in Charleston.

Banee

Smash Cadet
Any word on the madison tourny? I have a few friends, including myself of course, who would love to go to a tourny. Again, I can bring probably 2 wii's and possibly a tv.

BeveRAGE

Smash Rookie
Me and Snad (both in Huntington) should be able to attend if you guys have a tourney, but I might not be able to make it if it's on a Sunday.

killaxmayne

Smash Apprentice
UPDATE: There is going to be a Smash/H3/GH3(?) tourney in Madison at the VFW center. I do not have an exact date on that yet though I know it will be around mid-June. The Guitar Hero is still iffy right now because Kyle hasn't mentioned it to Jay. It may be there just for fun. However, there will be a Smash/H3 tourney in June unless Jay says anything otherwise.

We held a mini-tourney at Kyle's graduation party and a dude named Rob won it. He used Yoshi, who is definitely a lot better than what I thought (that bair has no lag at all). I did alright but he put out both Jacob and I. I am currently 0-2 with Rob and Jacob is 1-1. We will hopefully have some videos up soon.

Banee

Smash Cadet
UPDATE: There is going to be a Smash/H3/GH3(?) tourney in Madison at the VFW center. I do not have an exact date on that yet though I know it will be around mid-June. The Guitar Hero is still iffy right now because Kyle hasn't mentioned it to Jay. It may be there just for fun. However, there will be a Smash/H3 tourney in June unless Jay says anything otherwise.

We held a mini-tourney at Kyle's graduation party and a dude named Rob won it. He used Yoshi, who is definitely a lot better than what I thought (that bair has no lag at all). I did alright but he put out both Jacob and I. I am currently 0-2 with Rob and Jacob is 1-1. We will hopefully have some videos up soon.
Awsome. I should definently be able to attend. Keep us posted on dates and such.

D

Deleted member

Hi I live in Williamstown, WV (near Parkersburg)

IF you want my code and such PM me

snadmonkey

Smash Journeyman
So, someone needs to hold a tournie in WV to determine who the best player in WV is. Then we can send him off to beat the other states =D.

Anyone capable of holding a tournie, there is a place we could host one here in huntington, but its kinda pricey and its on the edge of the state.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Actually, if any of you care or remember me, I'll be moving back to WV sometime this year. I'm not too excited about that fact, but whatever. However, I want to get the WV Melee scene up and going. I'm not sure how much I can do since I'm sure I don't hold a lot of your respect, but I'll work on it.

I have no doubt that I could give plenty of you a difficult time, and I would be willing to participate in any event someone holds. If we could, I would like to get a big tournament somewhere during the Christmas-ish time when everyone is off from work and school so that we can have the best out come.

AZ has been completely destroyed by the introduction of Brawl, so I want to at least see if I can keep Melee alive in my own state. Thanks for listening.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
Yeah our scene basically got demolished too because of Brawl. Except for us, we don't play much Brawl OR Melee anymore. We're definitely up for more meleeing though, and since I guess we do have some respect within the state, we can definitely play a role in starting it back up again.

killaxmayne

Smash Apprentice
Actually, we haven't been playing much of either here lately; Rock Band seems to be the game to play in Madison now.

I know that Jay is still trying to do a Brawl tourney.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Well, I do like me some Rock Band, but I would much rather play Melee.

I'm not sure when I'm moving back, possibly in October. When I do though, I'll just see what happens.

balladechina212

Smash Ace
I am moving to Louisiana July 25th, so if you Madison kids want to come up on a random day (doesn't even have to be a weekend), let us know and we'll hang out. Kyle can talk to me about it.

killaxmayne

Smash Apprentice
I'm game.

We definitely need to play some Rock Band soon (I am straight nasty on vocals; I've had the game for less than a week and I am tearing up Flyleaf and Coheed and Cambria up on hard)

killaxmayne

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry, I'll update you.

I've had the game for less than a week and I beat "I'm So Sick" on Expert for vox so I am better than what I originally said on here. Give me a couple more weeks and that will be a FC.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Ok, just letting everyone know that TC is (tentatively) going to a tournament in NJ and is going to absolutely clean up. Imma MM Mew2King, and it really shouldn't be much of a problem for me now.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'm just bumping this thread to see if anyone still cares about it.

I know now that I'm permanently moving back to WV after Thanksgiving. If there is no scene, then I will try to make one. If I can't, then I'll give up on smash then. there's no point in trying to play a game competitively if there are no other competitors near you :p I know that most of you that were here and playing are going to college now, so you won't be as readily available or whatnot. However, I think that, if you continue to play, I'll be hosting events for people to participate in.

I'll try to hold some tournies when I can. I'll set dates for smashfests. I don't have a car, yet, so I don't know about traveling to other states as a group, but whatever. I really care a lot about the Melee scene and my home state, so I would like to have them both working together.

So, if anyone is interested in helping me run Melee WV, then please post something or PM me.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
I'm going to be back in Charleston for Thanksgiving and Christmas break, and I'm definitely up for playing some melee, whether it's a tournament or just for fun.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Sweet, that's at least someone interested then. Ok.

I'll see if I can start organizing something around Christmas time (since I think it's too close to Thanksgiving for a well-planned tournament). And, please, don't let this one just end up being me and one guy from Huntington again >_>

:3

Banee

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if you're talking exclusively about Melee, but I have a small group that like to play competitively among ourselves in Brawl. We watch videos, learn the techs, and generally keep up with the competitive scene.

The problem is, their are no easily accessed tournaments besides these terrible FFA items on tourny's at a semi-local hobby shop. We dont bother with that.

But, we would be willing to travel most places in the state and even somewhat out of state (Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky). So, if their is interest in starting a WV brawl scene we would be all up for it. We would be able to bring up to 6 Wii's, and possibly 2 or more TV's to any event. Just keep me informed via this thread if their are any events planned.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Personally, I don't give any sort of small woodland creature's backside about Brawl. That game... well, I'll just say I'm not for it. I was basically talking about keeping a Melee scene. However, if I am unable to breath life into a Melee scene, then participating in a Brawl one seems like the only other oprotunity to stay Smash Happy.

I guess we'll just see what happens. Oh, and if anyone was wondering, I didn't have internet until today because my Mom shut it off while she was away :( So, I think organizing something this weekend might be a bit out of grasp considering the short notice and everyone either still hanging with their families and/or leaving to go back to school over the weekend. Still though, I am going to have something planned for December, and it would be helpful if everyone could post when they are coming in for christmas break or are just off. This way no one is left out due to negligence.

Medafighter X

Smash Journeyman
If you do have some kind of tourny(melee) set up for december or january, i can more then likely make it. i have maybe three other friends who might be down as well.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Ok, so here is the plan. I'm going to be holding a tournament here at my house in South Charleston on Saturday December 20. I figure that it's close enough to Christmas that people will be off from school but far enough away that it doesn't interfere with family matters.

I'll make an official tournament thread and link it to this post in a few minutes, but I want to throw this info out here:

4404 Jones St.
South Charleston, WV 25309
(Next to Sunset Memorial Cemetery)

Time:
If there are enough people for doubles... doubles sign up will start at 11am.

After doubles ends, we will have a break to get lunch (not provided by me. Sorry, I lack cash) until singles. There is a Taco Bell and Schlotzsky's within walking distance and a Wendy's, McDonald's, and Long John Silver's within driving.

Singles sign up will start at 4pm.

This is my house. I would appreciate it if you respected the property by not making a mess of things. I have 1 dog, and he doesn't bite. So, if you are allergic, please take medicine if you plan to come.

Price:
Doubles - $10 a team ($5 each)
Singles - $5

If you have any Money Matches you want to take care of, please do it either during the break or after the event is over. I don't want to fight people for control of TVs during tournament time!

Equipment:
I have-
2 TVs
1 Wii
1 Smash

If you bring any of these items, I will take a dollar off your fee to both tournaments ($4 for singles $9 for doubles). If both members of a team bring something it will be reduced twice ($8).

If 10 people or less show up to this even by the time it starts or I don't get enough RSVPs to meet that number, consider this a smashfest instead. Too few people makes it not worth the money, time, and travel for a lot of people.

So, if you want to come, please either sign here or at the tournament thread that will be made shortly.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
I'll bump this up let let everyone know that I'm in on this tournament (and most likely 3-5 others from my crew). Let's see if we can get a decent amount of attendance going.

Top Bottom