• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Waluigi Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Hippie

Smash Cadet
We all know who Waluigi is and most people really don't like him. Essentially, Waluigi was created to be a filler character. Way back when Mario Tennis 64 was still in development, there was one small question that puzzled everybody: Who would Wario's doubles partner be?Then came a great idea, they would create a new filler character to be Wario's partner.

Then thoughts go back to the Mario brothers. Mario has a rival and Luigi doesn't and we need things to be symmetrical. Wario is essentially a shorter and fatter version of Mario. Mario is the short and fat Mario brother. By contrast, Luigi is the taller and skinnier one. So there's an idea: A new taller and skinnier character would be created. The new character could fill the role of Luigi's rival. Perfect, right?

Since Waluigi has been in a bunch of Mario canon games and is well known for being a filler character. He has never starred or even really been mentioned in a real game, a game with a plot and conflict and everything.

That is the greatest arguement against him whenever someonee suggests that he should be included in SSBB. "He is just a stupid rip off of character that serves no real purpose" or "He isn't worthy since he has never been in any real games" and "He shouldn't be in because we don't know anything about him."

While all that is true, I for one believe that Waluigi should be added to the Super Smash Brothers cast. The fact that we know virtually nothing about him is great for Sakurai and the rest of the developers. They have so much freedom in creating a great moveset so him, just like the did with Fox and Captain Falcon (I'm sure you can agree that both characters have great movesets"

Anyway thats my two cents, what are your thoughts?

Stay Groovy,
Dead Hippie

Dead Hippie

Smash Cadet
Zodiak-Lucien said:
I personally never liked him and "He is just a stupid rip off of character that serves no real purpose"
Exactly my point. I don't really particularly like him either. All I'm saying is that while he serves no real purpose he is a part of the Mario cast now whether we like it or not. The lack of knowledge about him will make it freakishly easy for Sakurai to include him since the developers have so much freedom when thinking of a moveset. There are no pre-established set of abilities to associate with Waluigi so there is really a lot of original things they can do with the moveset.

So again, thoughts?

Stay Groovy,
Dead Hippie

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I'm one of those people who actually likes Waluigi a lot. I used him in Mario Tennis 64, I used him in Mario Party 3, 4, 5 and 6 (didn't play 7), use him in Mario Kart DS and Double Dash, etc. Waluigi will be a sure shoe-in for SSBB. The way I see it, they'll pull the old "Well, we've got Mario, Luigi and Wario... may as well put Waluigi in."

asianpride3491

Smash Ace
I like him. His somatic form would make his moves vary greatly from other mario characters (he's a lot taller and longer, his limbs are more defined). He would be less of a clone than luigi and wario.

Anyone Else see an Event match just waiting to happen?

PZX2DN4F

Smash Apprentice
I also like Waluigi, but I think he needs to get some personality. Right now he is just Wario infamous sidekick.

nomis

Smash Journeyman
I would like to point out that you have a quotation mark at the end of your passage. Please change it to a parentheses because I won't be able to respond as it is an opening for a quote, leading me to say that you have more to add.

+1

PZX2DN4F

Smash Apprentice
asianpride3491 said:
He has personality. His crazy and mischievous.Wario is just anti-mario, but waluigi is more than just anti-luigi.
Wario is much more than anti-mario. The Wario in SSBB is the Wario from Wario Ware, who has a lot of personality on his own. This Wario isn't really connected to Mario in any way, other than his appearance. Waluigi has just appeared in party games and sports games. No "real" game = bad personality.

Gonzales

Smash Journeyman
Cashed said:
I'm one of those people who actually likes Waluigi a lot.
I'm also a Pro-Waluigi person. I always use him in Mario Kart/Party games. Something about him has always appealed to me, I don't know why.

I'd like to see what kind of moves they would give him. His unnaturally long limbs could lead to an interesting moveset.

Exodecai101

Smash Apprentice
Waluigi has been my favorite Mario Character since he debuted in the game world, this could be the chances for Waluigi rise to stardom if in this game

5kaboss

Smash Rookie
Well, Since the MK:DD special item for the two was a bomb, Mabye they could have a team move.

Yeah... a special team attack move...

Conidering Waluigi is IN the **** game =\

Falling Whistness

Smash Apprentice
Waluigi is an ill-conceived character. We already have too many characters from the Mario universe. If they're going to add more (and I would bet there will be at least one new Mario characters,) it should be the good ones.

Zodiak-Lucien

Smash Lord
Dead Hippie said:
Exactly my point. I don't really particularly like him either. All I'm saying is that while he serves no real purpose he is a part of the Mario cast now whether we like it or not. The lack of knowledge about him will make it freakishly easy for Sakurai to include him since the developers have so much freedom when thinking of a moveset. There are no pre-established set of abilities to associate with Waluigi so there is really a lot of original things they can do with the moveset.

So again, thoughts?

Stay Groovy,
Dead Hippie
hmm that has to be the most valid arguement I have heard on this board. I see your point and it would be interesting to see what they do with him

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Waluigi is the most unoriginal and uninteresting characters ever made but he still one of my faves (I would rather have Daisy in first she has a lot more personality)

Black Metal

Smash Cadet
I don't see the problem I like Waluigi and he's gonna be in the game. It's common sense. Anyway he has long arms, he's tall, but he's skinny so it'll be like playing as a lightweight, weak Ganondorf. That's just speculation on my part of course.

Ember Joe

Smash Cadet
WaLuigi is an obvious filler character. He serves the purpose of filling the gap as Wario's other, just like Luigi is Mario's other. To be honest, WaLuigi is more original than Luigi. I have found Luigi to be a very 1 dimensional sidekick to Mario (except in none Nintendo games, particularily the RPGs) who is only really accepted because he has been around for so long.
I think the freedom with WaLuigi could do him good, allowing him to develop as a character, possibly giving inspiration for abilities in a future appearance in a platformer as a proper character (I would love a Wario Bros/Wario Land 5 with W&WL together)

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Ember Joe said:
WaLuigi is an obvious filler character. He serves the purpose of filling the gap as Wario's other, just like Luigi is Mario's other. To be honest, WaLuigi is more original than Luigi. I have found Luigi to be a very 1 dimensional sidekick to Mario (except in none Nintendo games, particularily the RPGs) who is only really accepted because he has been around for so long.
I think the freedom with WaLuigi could do him good, allowing him to develop as a character, possibly giving inspiration for abilities in a future appearance in a platformer as a proper character (I would love a Wario Bros/Wario Land 5 with W&WL together)
Luigi is way more original than Waluigi as Waluigi is not original whatsoever, he has no personality, no history and is not original whatsoever

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
I don't mind if Waluigi makes it into SSBB.

But I do believe it would be too soon for him to make it into a Smash Bros game. He just hasn't been in enough games to really show the world what he can do. Sure the developers could do whatever they wanted to him because he hasn't been in many games. But what makes Smash great was using character's moves from their own games into a fighting system. Of course they did wonders with Fox and Captain Falcon.

But yeah, I don't mind the ugly lug, I just think he hasn't been too deserving to fight in this game. He's sneaky like that.

asianpride3491

Smash Ace
Gonzales said:
I'm also a Pro-Waluigi person. I always use him in Mario Kart/Party games. Something about him has always appealed to me, I don't know why.

I'd like to see what kind of moves they would give him. His unnaturally long limbs could lead to an interesting moveset.
My thoughts exactly.

And as that guy said, no game doesnt = bad personality, it equals a more open ended interperetation of personality.

nomis

Smash Journeyman
Well, you can just change the animations but keep the same moveset. Uppercut, diving headbutt, helicopter spin... they all seem to work for me. The only thing I think that should be changed is the running attack... make it a clothesline or something.

And Luigi can have a vacuum or something. He was in that one game too, Mario's is Missing!, so maybe they can extract some moves from that (although I don't think he really did anything in that game).

This way it would be much easier to add Waluigi in the next Smash, because I care about the programmers, and this would be the laziest - I mean easiest idea to do for them.

asianpride3491

Smash Ace
The exectuion of the moves just dont really work. Especially not Luigi's floatiness in it. Waluigi needs to be long, quick, hard. Not short and floating (dont know any floaty synonyms).

smoothballer

Smash Rookie
He'll probably just be a quicker, weaker clone of Wario....that would be the most sensible (and easiest) thing to do.

nomis

Smash Journeyman
asianpride3491 said:
Waluigi needs to be long, quick, hard.
:chuckle:

That's true though.. hmm.. well, they can just not make him floaty. I know this might upset some Luigi fans, but I think it would actually make him a potentially better character if he wasn't so slow.

And isn't it kind of funny, how Luigi is like a Ken if compared to Street Fighter, where Ken is slightly a faster fighter but Luigi is slower.

What if Waluigi becomes the Ken of SSBB?

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
asianpride3491 said:
Anyone Else see an Event match just waiting to happen?
Am I the only one who saw that? Mario and Luigi vs Wario and Waluigi... Sounds almost as exciting as Mario vs Sonic.

Antiself said:
I want him in the game so I could kick the snot out of him!

Most people hate him, why not kick his butt?
That the same reason I want Tingle in the game.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Waluigi is a fine character BUT he has no personality or originality whatsoever BUT this game would give him a chance to prove his originality BUT he better not be put in before Diddy Kong BUT all waluigi does is make you :laugh:

Azukki

Smash Apprentice
He is a filler character.

thus he should fill a role in SSBB.

After all, it's what he was MADE for.

there's my opinion.

Also, it would be nice if he had an original moveset, but something tells me he'd steal some luigi moves to save time and money in the game's devolopment.

I'd like to see him being able to make actual bob-ombs. Explosions are ALWAYS fun.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Azukki said:
He is a filler character.

thus he should fill a role in SSBB.

After all, it's what he was MADE for.

there's my opinion.

Also, it would be nice if he had an original moveset, but something tells me he'd steal some luigi moves to save time and money in the game's devolopment.

I'd like to see him being able to make actual bob-ombs. Explosions are ALWAYS fun.
I imagine he would be a cross between Wario and Luigi so people don't think that he's a clone

The Other Wind

Smash Apprentice
I am generally indifferent regarding Waluigi, but I would like to see him in the game. With his long limbs he'd probably have quite a bit a range on his grab/attacks, which intrigues me.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
If he's in give him atleast the Waluigi-Swim move from Mario Power Tennis. :D That one is hilarious.

Ember Joe

Smash Cadet
Ferro De Lupe said:
Am I the only one who saw that? Mario and Luigi vs Wario and Waluigi... Sounds almost as exciting as Mario vs Sonic.

That the same reason I want Tingle in the game.
More like Mario vs Wario vs Luigi vs WaLuigi (Free For All) event... named... Mario Bros.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Nevermind, after reading this thread I'm convinced that Waluigi sucks.

Dead Hippie

Smash Cadet
Thank-you Zodiak, I tried to make a valid arguement.

Anyway, its nice to see that most of you see where I am coming from. With that said, Waluigi should absolutely be original and shouldn't under any circumstances become a clone. That would defeat the entire purpose of putting him in the game. As of right now, Waluigi is a useless filler character with very little purpose. Aside form his some what unique character model, right now Waluigi is a pretty dull and generic baddie of a character. The only reason to add him to the Super Smash Brothers cast is to put in something new to the series. Being a clone would completely kill him.

Again he has never been in a game that has an actual storyline and therefore has little depth as a character. All we know is that he has some affiliation with Luigi and Wario, and we know that he is a little goofy and mischievious. This means that there is still a lot of room for developement and it means that Sakurai can be as creative as he wants with Waluigi's moveset. Be has no pre-existing abilities given to him in a previous game. That means that he has no limits as to what types of moves he can have.

For example, when developing the original Super Smash Brothers I am sure that they had a little difficulty when devising a moveset. In previous Mario games he was given the ability to jumb and collect coins from enemies, shoot fire balls after getting the fire flower power up, given a cape as a power-up, and he could spin to destroy blocks when he was big and a power-up. Other then those abilities, Mario had nothing else to draw from when it came to a moveset. He was a pre-established character. Sure they can just create a new ability, but that just wouldn't seem right (At least in my eyes)

Then one might point out that Captain Falcon and Fox were added although they never had those abilities prior to the game. Well, we had never seen them out of their vehicles so in a way they had some freedom with the moveset. Being the first time they would ever do anything outside of their respective vehicles, the developers had quite a range of things to draw from based on the mood of their games.

So Waluigi really has little to no restrictions when it comes to a move pool. It would be so easy for Sakurai and the developers to include him because then can be as creative as they want. It would be hard not to include him under these circumstances. He can be as unique as your heart desires, being the tall, wiry, and lanky fellow he is. Waluigi can bring something new to the Super Smash Brothers cast.

Besides, as previously stated this could inspire possible other games for Waluigi. Abilities given to him in this game could inpsire someone to make a platformer or something starring Waluigi. (Its not like we have never seen something similiar to this before this before, Diddy Kong Racing would some how inspire Conker's Bad Fur Day)

One last thing, Luigi was possibly even more unimaginitive as Waluigi. Back in the days of Jump Man (Before Mario had a name) in the Donkey Kong Arcade games Luigi started off as lame recolor of our pixelated hero. It was quite a few years before they actually differentiated Luigi from Mario with personality.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I'm not really a Waluigi fan. If they want to put him in, fine. I've got four characters (beyond those mentioned) that I REALLY want to see in the game

Sonic
Skull Kid with Majora's Mask
Geno
Diddy Kong

Beyond that, whoever else they want to add is fine with me. I won't play with Waluigi, but if they have the above four (and three of them are fairly likely (I don't know about Skull Kid, I'd say his chances are lower than the other three, but still high)), then I don't really care who else they add.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom