• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Official Technical Issues Q&A thread (TV's, Controllers, gamecubes, etc)

recme

Smash Cadet
NNID
recolorme
3DS FC
4871-4881-3739
hey guys, i just installed nintendont on my wii and i was wondering if i can actually play the original disc of melee through nintendont. homebrew and dios mios kinda ****ed up loading gcn games normally, so im just wondering if i can load melee through nintendont and how i can do that.

ive read on gbatemp that you can, but it doesnt mention how you can do it. when i load nintendont, it just gives me an option of sd or usb

Vanitas

Smash Ace
My controller has been acting up as recently. I have a white gamecube controller (non Smash 4 and not generation 1). Sometimes when I'm playing a game, it decides to hold the R button (I know it is the R button because I am still able to air dodge with L). Any other attempts in pressing the R button becomes void until I mash it around crazily until eventually it starts working again or I take it apart and wipe it down. However it is still liable to hold the R button again randomly. I believe it is a problem with the circuit board because I have gone through 3 other back shells already. What are the best solutions to this? I'm guessing buy a new controller but I definitely prefer the control stick on my controller.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
My controller has been acting up as recently. I have a white gamecube controller (non Smash 4 and not generation 1). Sometimes when I'm playing a game, it decides to hold the R button (I know it is the R button because I am still able to air dodge with L). Any other attempts in pressing the R button becomes void until I mash it around crazily until eventually it starts working again or I take it apart and wipe it down. However it is still liable to hold the R button again randomly. I believe it is a problem with the circuit board because I have gone through 3 other back shells already. What are the best solutions to this? I'm guessing buy a new controller but I definitely prefer the control stick on my controller.
You can transfer stickboxes between controllers, so you could use a different controller's circuit board with your broken controller's stick. Because it's a White controller, it will have a type 3 stickbox, which can be unscrewed and interchanged with any other type 3 stickbox. See this thread for details: http://smashboards.com/threads/tech...n-gamecubes-controllers-tvs-recording.335040/

Last edited:

Vanitas

Smash Ace

Y-L

Smash Champion
Does anyone know if there are advantages to using one loader over another (Dios Mios vs Nintendont in particular)? I know that Nintendont doesn't have to use your gc ios (is that bad for accuracy? idk anything about it) and has support for virtual memory cards (pretty sick). Dios mios has always been easy and quick to boot for me which is a plus.

But from a technical standpoint is one better than the other? I know @ Kadano Kadano you have said at some point that Nintendont was reported to have input lag (I definitely know there is a quote of you saying that somewhere). Is one more accurate/or less laggy than the other?

Kadano

Magical Express
Does anyone know if there are advantages to using one loader over another (Dios Mios vs Nintendont in particular)? I know that Nintendont doesn't have to use your gc ios (is that bad for accuracy? idk anything about it) and has support for virtual memory cards (pretty sick). Dios mios has always been easy and quick to boot for me which is a plus.

But from a technical standpoint is one better than the other? I know @ Kadano Kadano you have said at some point that Nintendont was reported to have input lag (I definitely know there is a quote of you saying that somewhere). Is one more accurate/or less laggy than the other?
They added a “native input” mode or something and with that it should be fine.

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
So I purchased the Diamond VC500 on Amazon, because it claimed to work for windows 10. I've got it now and of course the damn drivers aren't working.

Anyone know a way to get this thing to work in windows 10, it appears some people might of had some success with it in windows 10? If not, whats another capture card in that range that works with win10?

In the mean time, I will continue to be really infuriated with windows 10 blanking another device of mine.

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
Can anyone recommend a particular brand or viscosity of silicon lubricant that for lubricating the trigger mechanism in a controller? I have some silicon grease, but it appears to be too thick and sticky to be useful, and I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Also, for anyone who has perforated the rubber plates for the triggers in order to reduce their resistance: would you recommend making many smaller perforations or fewer larger ones? When I originally did this to mine, I made 4 perforations of about 1/8 of the circumference of the plate in size, distributed evenly (1/8th perforated, 1/8th intact, etc.). This has worked fine for a while now, but I worry about it compromising the integrity of the plate with time (I accidentally tore one completely when trying to do this and had to replace it).

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
Can anyone recommend a particular brand or viscosity of silicon lubricant that for lubricating the trigger mechanism in a controller? I have some silicon grease, but it appears to be too thick and sticky to be useful, and I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Also, for anyone who has perforated the rubber plates for the triggers in order to reduce their resistance: would you recommend making many smaller perforations or fewer larger ones? When I originally did this to mine, I made 4 perforations of about 1/8 of the circumference of the plate in size, distributed evenly (1/8th perforated, 1/8th intact, etc.). This has worked fine for a while now, but I worry about it compromising the integrity of the plate with time (I accidentally tore one completely when trying to do this and had to replace it).
I use this silicon oil: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00BFSDQ16/ref=pe_386171_37038021_TE_M3T1_dp_1

I use about the same perforation sizes as you and it’s worked fine so far.

reverie2

Smash Apprentice
I'm having a strange issue with shield dropping (using axes method of moving stick to the right/left, then going into the 45 degree angle). It's extremely easy whenever I do it on my 20xx emulator on dolphin, or when i play on netplay, and it's really smooth. But for some reason whenever I play on an actual copy of melee on gamecube/wii, it becomes so much harder to do it. Is there an explanation for this? It's really hurting my play because when i play on netplay i rely heavily on shield dropping, but am not able to do it when im playing people in person

Kadano

Magical Express
I'm having a strange issue with shield dropping (using axes method of moving stick to the right/left, then going into the 45 degree angle). It's extremely easy whenever I do it on my 20xx emulator on dolphin, or when i play on netplay, and it's really smooth. But for some reason whenever I play on an actual copy of melee on gamecube/wii, it becomes so much harder to do it. Is there an explanation for this? It's really hurting my play because when i play on netplay i rely heavily on shield dropping, but am not able to do it when im playing people in person
1. Which adapter do you use to play with your GCC on Dolphin?
2. Did you enable "direct connect" in the Dolphin GCC options?
3. Do you have your GCC connected from before starting Dolphin or do you plug it in after launching the game?

Kadano

Magical Express
1. Mayflash GC adapter with 2 available ports http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089NVTDM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00
2. yes
3. yes

Dolphin just seems much much easier to shield drop for whatever reason than on a gamecube/wii.
These old 2-port Mayflash adapters don’t do the same calibrating that console does. So effectively your neutral position is shifted a bit, which just so happens to move your notch values into the correct zone.

You can shift the notch using my video tutorial on it. Afterwards, it will work on console (but probably not on Dolphin any longer).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUq17FNSucw

reverie2

Smash Apprentice
These old 2-port Mayflash adapters don’t do the same calibrating that console does. So effectively your neutral position is shifted a bit, which just so happens to move your notch values into the correct zone.

You can shift the notch using my video tutorial on it. Afterwards, it will work on console (but probably not on Dolphin any longer).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUq17FNSucw
Thanks for the response. That's actually so strange that the neutral position would be shifted so that shield dropping is perfect on netplay. Is there a way to make it so Dolphin calibrates the same way as the console does? Would buying a different adapter help or changing some Dolphin setting?

Kadano

Magical Express
Thanks for the response. That's actually so strange that the neutral position would be shifted so that shield dropping is perfect on netplay. Is there a way to make it so Dolphin calibrates the same way as the console does? Would buying a different adapter help or changing some Dolphin setting?
Yeah, using a four-port adapter (Nintendo or Mayflash) and having Direct Connect (& Wii mode for Mayflash) enabled should give the same calibration as for console.

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
Hi.
I have some questions on what does playing on a flat screen actually do.
Me and my friends either play on PC with Dolphin + 20XX
Or on GC with a flat screen (LCD) oh, and we live in PAL-Land, if that changes anything.

I definitely notice a difference between the two, like there's a frame of lag on the flat screen, but I'd like to know what it does exactly.

Sry if this has already been answered a jillion times.

Kadano

Magical Express
Hi.
Or on GC with a flat screen (LCD) oh, and we live in PAL-Land, if that changes anything.

I definitely notice a difference between the two, like there's a frame of lag on the flat screen, but I'd like to know what it does exactly.

When you play on an LCD TV with your console, the composite video (480i) needs to be converted from analog to digital, deinterlaced and scaled. All of that takes some time (2-20 frames on LCD TVs usually).
When you play on Dolphin, the picture in the frame buffer is directly digital, so the LCD monitor does not need to do laggy processing.

Sempai

Smash Ace
Hi.

The true struggle, trying to convince your scrub friends that there is actually a difference...

Also, You look familiar... :D

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
The true struggle, trying to convince your scrub friends that there is actually a difference...

Also, You look familiar... :D
Yo Sempai. Sup !
Yeah I'm not gonna call my friends scrubs because I'm by far the worse of our little group (train hardest ... get whacked the hardest. **** me right ?)

But hey, at least we agreed not to play on the flatscreen anymore. So now I can't even play decently until I get used to the change, while they made the adjusment in one handwarmers.

reverie2

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, using a four-port adapter (Nintendo or Mayflash) and having Direct Connect (& Wii mode for Mayflash) enabled should give the same calibration as for console.
I got my mayflash 4port today, and it seems to be the exact same as the mayflash 2 port (with direct connect). So basically shield dropping is perfect on dolphin, but on an actual gamecube, it's harder to shield drop for sure. When you say Wii mode, does that mean the switch on the side of the adapter? If i switch it to Wii mode, my dolphin doesn't detect the mayflash adapter

I'm on dolphin 4.0-7840 if that matters

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
I got my mayflash 4port today, and it seems to be the exact same as the mayflash 2 port (with direct connect). So basically shield dropping is perfect on dolphin, but on an actual gamecube, it's harder to shield drop for sure. When you say Wii mode, does that mean the switch on the side of the adapter? If i switch it to Wii mode, my dolphin doesn't detect the mayflash adapter

I'm on dolphin 4.0-7840 if that matters
You need to put it into Wii mode, yes. To get Dolphin to recognize it then, install the drivers with Zadig.

Last edited:

reverie2

Smash Apprentice
You need to put it into Wii mode, yes. To get Dolphin to recognize it then, install the drivers with Zadig.
Sweeet i got it working. I have another sort of related question.

My main controller has a comfortable control stick which i'm really used to, but shield dropping is not that great on it. I have another controller that just happens to have excellent shield dropping. If i just unattach my control stick and move it to the 2nd controller with excellent shield dropping, will that give me the same feel as the first controller and at the same time have excellent shield dropping?

Kadano

Magical Express
Sweeet i got it working. I have another sort of related question.

My main controller has a comfortable control stick which i'm really used to, but shield dropping is not that great on it. I have another controller that just happens to have excellent shield dropping. If i just unattach my control stick and move it to the 2nd controller with excellent shield dropping, will that give me the same feel as the first controller and at the same time have excellent shield dropping?
Most likely not. The value precision required by Melee is effectively greater than the production quality precision. In other words, the variance of stickbox element shape and alignment to the octagon gate is larger than the range values allowed by the game.

If your good-stick-controller’s stickbox happens to be aligned to the PCB almost exactly the same as the good-shielddrops-controller’s stickbox, it’d work. But from experience and looking at the table here, this can not be counted on at all.

Your best bet is following my tutorial on how to do A3 yourself for your good-stick-controller. Be very careful, it’s easy to mess up when you don’t have a lot of experience with the process.

1ne Up

Smash Rookie
NNID
1ne_Up
I currently do not have a CRT will this be detrimental to practicing frame perfect tech/tech in general?

Stride

Smash Ace
I currently do not have a CRT will this be detrimental to practicing frame perfect tech/tech in general?
You can still learn on a laggy display, but you'll have to adjust your timings pretty dramatically for a CRT once you play on one. If you've never played on a CRT or rarely get to do so, then practicing on a laggy display is better than no practice; I'd only consider it a problem if it's messing up the techskill you've already learned with the correct timings (for a CRT). It's easier to adjust to executing a tech with a new timing than it is to learn a tech for the first time.

Focus on practicing things which don't require a visual cue (and will therefore be unaffected by lag), such as wavedashing. Do what you can to minimise lag (TV game modes, component cables/progressive scan, etc.).

HopE_eX

Scholar
There seems to be a recurrant issue with certain controllers (old and new alike) that cause slight "turn inputs". This is particularly noticeable when short hop lasering with Falco out of a dash dance; in spite of inputting the correct direction, certain controllers will turn the bird around. It is almost as if the neutral position is hyper sensitive or as if the stick "shakes" into the other side.

It has been addressed before, but the specifics have been scant.

Could someone explain possible reasons for this happening, and offer solutions? I've bought four controllers, hoping to have a backup, and every one has had this issue.

GarrBear

Smash Rookie
I was wondering, if I already have the component cables for my Wii, would it be worth it to get the HMDI converter for it? And would it also enable progressive scan mode like the component cables do? Would they reduce lag or upscale the picture at all? If you have any suggestions for good ones, that'd be great too. Thanks

SenpaiGravy

Smash Rookie
After purchasing a new laptop, I downloaded dolphin to play melee and it works fine, I use the MayFlash adapter (Four slots) Then just today I decided I wanted to play Project M, but when I booted it up I started to have Issues. I can't sprint in any direction, roll, or throw (except upwards)

GarrBear

Smash Rookie
I was wondering, if I already have the component cables for my Wii, would it be worth it to get the HMDI converter for it? And would it also enable progressive scan mode like the component cables do? Would they reduce lag or upscale the picture at all? If you have any suggestions for good ones, that'd be great too. Thanks

myK

Smash Rookie
Running into serious problems with my controllers.

Is there a better way to make the L/R shoulders more stiff? I rest my right finger over the R button and sometimes touch it from the back and it sticks the light shield.

All of my clear backs with white internals get stuck in light shield until I press down and back up to reset it.

It's super annoying...

Gearitz

Smash Apprentice
I had a question about controllers my current one is worn out and my friends say the control stick feels sticky and jank. I decided since the cover came off and it's would like try a different one. So which one is the best? Is there a difference between colors or is it just random?

Dan

Smash Lord
How big of a deal is it if I Netplay by plugging my laptop into my TV and playing that way (lag-wise)? Will it really **** me up when I play on a normal setup?

Michelangelo

Smash Cadet
I currently play on a CRT which only allows PAL colors because i'm from EU.
I believe there are CRT's which allow NTSC colors but i'm not sure.
If so, is there a way to know if a tv allows NTSC colors without having to test them?

TheFlipside

Smash Rookie
I just started playing melee (about two weeks ago) and I'm playing using my old Indigo GC controller from when I was a kid. It's not broken but it's really worn out and the analog stick has a lot of play to it, and the Y button isn't very tactile any more. So I was thinking about buying a brand new in box controller. I was interested in the new Smash logo controllers until I saw the issues plaguing it mainly the triggers. So I was thinking of getting one of the 2008 White Japanese Controllers instead. The price difference between these controllers is pretty drastic on Amazon something like $23 bucks for the new White smash controller and about $75 with prime for the older White Japanese controllers. I was thinking that I could just get the White Smash Controller and fix the L/R buttons. I was wondering if there are any other build quality issues with the new controllers that would have me replacing it in a year or less (I want a controller that will last a long time). Like are the Analog/C-sticks just as good, any PCB issues...etc?

TheRagenCombo

Smash Rookie
im trying to connect a wii to a portable dvd player but it has its own video and audio in so is there an adapter if so were do i find one

ThunderCat

Smash Cadet
How can I tell if I have a good controller? What kind of criteria do you look for when testing controllers?

Top Bottom