• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Official Technical Issues Q&A thread (TV's, Controllers, gamecubes, etc)

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hey so I'm really trying to setup so I can play some netplay melee but I'm having issues. So I have the newest dolphin version and a 1.02 melee iso. I've followed the guide on smashladder done all the settings correct and all but whenver I start the melee iso I get this warning:
. I'm very bad at computers in general, can someone cexplain in an easy way how to fix this?
Update your graphics driver.

Y-L

Smash Champion
But I was having no issues playing it before on another dolphin version?
Dolphin requires more from the GPU as it becomes more accurate /less demanding on the CPU.

Dolphin can utilize current drivers now so that's why your out of date ones have trouble.

Last edited:

Laser Knugen

Smash Rookie
Dolphin requires more from the GPU as it becomes more accurate /less demanding on the CPU.

Dolphin can utilize current drivers now so that's why your out of date ones have trouble.
But can it really be that big of a difference? I mean it was running smoothly no frame drops no lag etc etc. on an earlier version to not even being playable. It's the same ISO as before.

Y-L

Smash Champion
But can it really be that big of a difference? I mean it was running smoothly no frame drops no lag etc etc. on an earlier version to not even being playable. It's the same ISO as before.
There's been 5000+ changes from 652 to 6554... Just update your graphics driver... takes 5 minutes......

Laser Knugen

Smash Rookie
There's been 5000+ changes from 652 to 6554... Just update your graphics driver... takes 5 minutes......
Ok I thought that you meant buy a new graphics card first haha. However I tried updating the graphics driver but I already had the latest version. This is just really frustrating, can you think of anything else causing this?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Ok I thought that you meant buy a new graphics card first haha. However I tried updating the graphics driver but I already had the latest version. This is just really frustrating, can you think of anything else causing this?
Try switching graphics backends in Dolphin. (OGL to D3D or vice versa)

rrivera992011

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4511-0949-3065
Excuse me, but does the Nintendon't emulator for Homebrew Wiis have any input lag issues with Melee? I want to use it to train.

SNSL

Smash Rookie
It emulates the real thing, so there shouldn't be any input lag. I've noticed some loading lag (e.g. between main menu and char select) but that might just be because I was using an old non-HC SD card to load the ISO off of.

flame&watch

Smash Rookie
Hey new to smashboards, looking for some help with Dolphin on mac, and setting up melee without lag.

PC Specs:

iMac (20-inch, Early 2009)
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
5 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

The problem im having is running the game without lag. I can get it to around 60 FPS but when i start the game the lag continues to go up and will not stop raising, sometimes if i let it run long enough ive gotten the lag to like 15,000, its crazy. I have looked up optimizing the speed and fixed all of my settings according to my research but when I run the game the lag will not stop. It seems like no matter what I do i cannot stop the lag.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hey new to smashboards, looking for some help with Dolphin on mac, and setting up melee without lag.

PC Specs:

iMac (20-inch, Early 2009)
2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
5 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

The problem im having is running the game without lag. I can get it to around 60 FPS but when i start the game the lag continues to go up and will not stop raising, sometimes if i let it run long enough ive gotten the lag to like 15,000, its crazy. I have looked up optimizing the speed and fixed all of my settings according to my research but when I run the game the lag will not stop. It seems like no matter what I do i cannot stop the lag.
Your hardware is 6 years old. It's just too weak to run the game. You'd need new hardware.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Does anyone know which part of the L/R trigger I would need to sand down so that it doesn't "click" when fully depressed (on a standard GC controller)?

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
Does anyone know which part of the L/R trigger I would need to sand down so that it doesn't "click" when fully depressed (on a standard GC controller)?
You need to take out the rubber plates from the back shell of the controller. Sanding them down would help, but sanding rubber doesn’t work that well I think. I usually perforate them with a scissor to decrease click resistance instead.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
You need to take out the rubber plates from the back shell of the controller. Sanding them down would help, but sanding rubber doesn’t work that well I think. I usually perforate them with a scissor to decrease click resistance instead.
Thanks Kadano, I just watched your video on it and it looks perfect.

On my old L button, the center part is completely detached from the rubber ring--when I took the controller apart it actually fell out (backwards) and I had to slide it back in place. I really like this button because there's no resistance at all to press it down, and I've been using it for 8 years. The problem I'm having is that the rubber ring sometimes contracts slowly, making my lightshield stay out after I've let go of the button. Is there any way to fix this problem, or am I better off just creating a new one by perforating it?

Legendre

Smash Rookie
I want to practice my fox tech, things such a SHFFLing, waveshining, lasering, wavedashing, etc. However I only have a computer with dolphin/20xx and a GC-USB adapter. Will it hurt my tech skill in the long run to practice on this setup or will I easily be able to transition to a CRT at a tournament?

Kadano

Magical Express
The problem I'm having is that the rubber ring sometimes contracts slowly, making my lightshield stay out after I've let go of the button. Is there any way to fix this problem, or am I better off just creating a new one by perforating it?
The lightshield issue shouldn’t be there if the spring is still in there. Did you take it out (to have a depressed L trigger)? If so, put it back in. You can still have the L trigger almost fully depressed by inserting small plastic pieces into the upper part of the L sliding potentiometer.

I want to practice my fox tech, things such a SHFFLing, waveshining, lasering, wavedashing, etc. However I only have a computer with dolphin/20xx and a GC-USB adapter. Will it hurt my tech skill in the long run to practice on this setup or will I easily be able to transition to a CRT at a tournament?
If you have a recent 3 GHz+ Intel processor and a fast gaming LCD, you should be fine as long as your Dolphin settings are correct (no vsync, exclusive fullscreen, direct connect for the GCC). The difference to console+CRT should be quite little so transitions shouldn’t be a problem (except for the first 5 or 10 minutes).

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
The lightshield issue shouldn’t be there if the spring is still in there. Did you take it out (to have a depressed L trigger)? If so, put it back in. You can still have the L trigger almost fully depressed by inserting small plastic pieces into the upper part of the L sliding potentiometer.
The spring is intact. When I took the controller apart, it looked like the rubber ring was slightly sticking to the plastic enclosure before going back up. After the center piece fell out and I slid it back in, the problem went away temporarily but it comes back intermittently.

Do you think it could be because the center of the ring is fully detached, instead of just perforated?

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
The spring is intact. When I took the controller apart, it looked like the rubber ring was slightly sticking to the plastic enclosure before going back up. After the center piece fell out and I slid it back in, the problem went away temporarily but it comes back intermittently.

Do you think it could be because the center of the ring is fully detached, instead of just perforated?
Yeah, seems like it. In your place I’d first try glueing the rubber plate back together with a little bit of epoxy. If it doesn’t work after that like you want it to, take a new one and perforate that, yeah.

Legendre

Smash Rookie
If you have a recent 3 GHz+ Intel processor and a fast gaming LCD, you should be fine as long as your Dolphin settings are correct (no vsync, exclusive fullscreen, direct connect for the GCC). The difference to console+CRT should be quite little so transitions shouldn’t be a problem (except for the first 5 or 10 minutes).
Thanks! Can you expand on those optimal settings? So V sync off, Use Fullscreen on, and then what other settings in order to have direct connect and such?

Kadano

Magical Express
Thanks! Can you expand on those optimal settings? So V sync off, Use Fullscreen on, and then what other settings in order to have direct connect and such?

If you have the Mayflash 4-port GCC adapter, you need to put the hardware switch into Gamecube / console mode (not PC). If you have the Nintendo 4-port adapter, it will be in the correct mode automatically. The cheaper Mayflash adapter with one or two GCC ports don’t support direct connect.

Legendre

Smash Rookie
If you have the Mayflash 4-port GCC adapter, you need to put the hardware switch into Gamecube / console mode (not PC). If you have the Nintendo 4-port adapter, it will be in the correct mode automatically. The cheaper Mayflash adapter with one or two GCC ports don’t support direct connect.
Is this done under graphics -> backend? Should I be using Direct3D?

Last edited:

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
I'm presuming this is the place to discuss netplay as well, so I was just wondering if my laptop can run a melee dolphin set up.
Here's my specs:
4 GB RAM
64 bit OS
AMD E2 - 3000M APU with Radeon HD graphics 1.80 GHz
I play TF2 on this, and it seems to run pretty well, so is there any way I can get a dolphin set up to play melee, or will I have to build/buy a better computer?

Kadano

Magical Express
Is this done under graphics -> backend? Should I be using Direct3D?
Direct Connect is in the controllers submenu.

I'm presuming this is the place to discuss netplay as well, so I was just wondering if my laptop can run a melee dolphin set up.
Here's my specs:
4 GB RAM
64 bit OS
AMD E2 - 3000M APU with Radeon HD graphics 1.80 GHz
I play TF2 on this, and it seems to run pretty well, so is there any way I can get a dolphin set up to play melee, or will I have to build/buy a better computer?
1.8 GHz AMD? I think it’s very unlikely or even impossible for you to have a good Dolphin experience with that.

Build a 300$ Intel machine with a G3258 and you should be fine.

mgets

Smash Rookie
Hello! I was just wondering if anyone knows where you can get really nice custom controllers. My sticks dying on mine thanks!

Smog

Smash Journeyman
So I am trying to put a white controller circuit board into a purple controller case with the purple triggers, but the part of the controller on the opposite side of where the z button is doesn't squeeze together tightly. Is there a way to fix that?

Firefreak

Smash Rookie
Should i get the raphnet double adapter(n64+gc adapter)
or the mayflash one? What works best with the new dolphin version?

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
So I'm thinking of going to a dolphin emulator and playing Melee on a PC, but I just wanted to know if there are any differences with the ROM version and the actual thing played on a CRT?

rrivera992011

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4511-0949-3065
It emulates the real thing, so there shouldn't be any input lag. I've noticed some loading lag (e.g. between main menu and char select) but that might just be because I was using an old non-HC SD card to load the ISO off of.
All right. Thanks for the help

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Should i get the raphnet double adapter(n64+gc adapter)
or the mayflash one? What works best with the new dolphin version?
They both work fine, as well as the official Wii U GCN Adapter. Though there might be some tiny difference in input delay, it will be negligible when compared to netplay lag.

So I'm thinking of going to a dolphin emulator and playing Melee on a PC, but I just wanted to know if there are any differences with the ROM version and the actual thing played on a CRT?
Depending on your setup, the PC version might feel a bit laggier or have some small input delay, but mechanically everything is the same and will transfer over to the console version.

My 1.02 Melee iso doesnt have any cheat codes,which i need for netplay. How can i fix that?
With Dolphin, you right click Melee on your game list, go to properties, then check the 'AR Codes' and enable the 'Global Melee Netplay Settings'

m0ll0y

Smash Cadet
Hi , ive been trying a download melee to my pc for a while but had no luck , every time i try to download winrar or a rom of melee i get some virus and ended up crashing my computer twice . Can someone please , link me to the most recent and safest , dowload of winrar , dolphin , and the melee rom please .

Spud@CMU

Smash Rookie
They both work fine, as well as the official Wii U GCN Adapter. Though there might be some tiny difference in input delay, it will be negligible when compared to netplay lag.

Depending on your setup, the PC version might feel a bit laggier or have some small input delay, but mechanically everything is the same and will transfer over to the console version.

With Dolphin, you right click Melee on your game list, go to properties, then check the 'AR Codes' and enable the 'Global Melee Netplay Settings'
No, that wasn't the problem. It was that the boxes i should check simply arent there at all. It actually turns out my ISO is 1.01, not 1.02

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Hi , ive been trying a download melee to my pc for a while but had no luck , every time i try to download winrar or a rom of melee i get some virus and ended up crashing my computer twice . Can someone please , link me to the most recent and safest , dowload of winrar , dolphin , and the melee rom please .
It's illegal to share links to a Melee .iso on this site. Non-one will be able to help you directly through Smashboards.

If you have a physical copy of Melee and a homebrewed Wii, then you can rip an .iso from the disc using CleanRip (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/CleanRip). You can also rip it with your PC, but that's more problematic because only certain disc drives are compatible (https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-howto-dump-wii-or-gamecube-games-with-pc-no-wii-needed).

The WinRAR files download from the official website will be safe (http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm). You could also use 7Zip instead (http://www.7-zip.org/).

Last edited:

CarlTheLama

Smash Rookie
i have a problem with melee on the pc, i tried everything but dolphin still wont recognise the controller. tried 2 adaptors, a mayflash and the 4p official nintendo one (with replaced driver) and i tried 4 different gc controllers, none work.
i have tried different versions of dolphin but still no luck, does anybody have an idea what may cause this and how to fix it?

bBiz

Smash Rookie
First time poster longtime smasher, just recently (one year) got interested in competitive smash. Started looking to get a CRT today and found somebody giving away a free Trinitron near me. From what I have read trinitron's are either godly or non-usable, I've searched far and wide but can't find solid stuff on the model i'm looking to pick up. It's an hd-Crt which I have heard do carry some lag on them but just thought i'd get solid advice from smash community.

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-kv-hs510/

let me know if i should pass or pick it up

Kadano

Magical Express
First time poster longtime smasher, just recently (one year) got interested in competitive smash. Started looking to get a CRT today and found somebody giving away a free Trinitron near me. From what I have read trinitron's are either godly or non-usable, I've searched far and wide but can't find solid stuff on the model i'm looking to pick up. It's an hd-Crt which I have heard do carry some lag on them but just thought i'd get solid advice from smash community.

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-kv-hs510/

let me know if i should pass or pick it up
These lag often (if not always). Don’t buy.

SaucyWizard

Smash Rookie
"Our own inspiration and achievements are simply an extension of the experiences, passion and vision of others."

RESPECT YOUR ELDERS

Top Bottom