• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official South Carolina Thread

Player -0

Smash Hero
I believe there are weeklies there. Besides that they don't host much afaik (I'm upstate so no clue pretty much). Tech Chase is happening on the 11th in Charleston so look for that.

Bad1

Smash Rookie
I'm just hoping to find some sort of training partner around me. I've heard of the OES fellas but I'd rather train with someone a little more my speed.

Player -0

Smash Hero
If you've got tech skill and stuff down it'd be better for you to play people that are better. Possibly ask them to slow down a bit and stuff. They'll be able to explain the game/your habits a lot better than someone near your skill level (usually?).

Where do you live?

Bad1

Smash Rookie
If you've got tech skill and stuff down it'd be better for you to play people that are better. Possibly ask them to slow down a bit and stuff. They'll be able to explain the game/your habits a lot better than someone near your skill level (usually?).

Where do you live?
Right now I live in Elgin, SC right off of I-20 Spears Creek Church Rd. exit

I would say I really have no tech skill minus maybe getting L-cancel off 50/50 if I am lucky. I haven't practiced edge guards or anything further than trying to do aerial combos with Marth since I feel like L-cancel is such an essential skill just for him to be viable at all.

I've been playing on and off for the past month or two and before that I hadn't touched smash since 64 back when I was eight lol.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Can you travel? I can make a post on SC Smash if you haven't (it would prob. be better if you did it actually) asking if Cola peeps are/aren't busy.

As for practicing tech you could try to get some friends to vs. you. Items can be on and stuff, have a good time while getting used to wavedashing and L-Cancelling and stuff. You might even get them interested. For now you should focus on getting basic tech down, after that your mental part of the game (flashy stuff isn't important for you right now). Use dolphin online if your computer can handle it.

Update on the first post: Haven't really been on a computer in a while so not much progress has been made on SC Smash's history. I'll resume when I can, info is still welcome though.

Bad1

Smash Rookie
Dolphin for some reason crashes every 30mins on me, no matter what game I use. I haven't been able to figure out what the reason is.

I can travel but I don't exactly have much time unless it's the weekend. I also did make a post on SC smash but it seems a lot of people near Cola play Smash 4 and not much in the way of melee.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Don't know what AIT is or where Fort Jackson is (geography/maps are hard. Also on mobile so not worth). There is stuff upstate and by Myrtle Beach for the most part. USC/midstate holds weeklies.

Also Clemson Series 4 (I think it's 4?) is on SATURDAY! 1-2 days from now depending if you're counting today done or not. I won't be attending but it'll probably be hype (and run late kappa).
Is there a Facebook page or anything for these USC weeklies?

Player -0

Smash Hero
Not sure if they still happen. So no, afaik.

The hubs for SC Smash are actually more like: Greenville, Clemson, and Charleston. Myrtle Beach holds weeklies but it's a small group afaik.

There are (bi?)weeklies at Clemson so, while a bit of a way to travel, there's that.

I mean, Bad1 made a post asking/talking about the Cola scene if you want to message him.

Bad1

Smash Rookie
Is there a Facebook page or anything for these USC weeklies?
I play with a few friends here but they don't care much to learn techs they just play around with the game.

AFAIK the only tournaments that go on here are about 5 minutes from downtown at "Ready to Play Trading Cards" every last sunday of the month. $10 to get in and from what I understand OES shows up from time to time.

It's a lot of Smash 4 players in Cola tbh.

OhSix

Smash Rookie
Tournament in Myrtle Beach coming up this Saturday! https://www.facebook.com/events/1462538850707109/
It's just a Melee singles and doubles tourney, but it should be fun.

Also a heads up to any Smash players in Columbia. I'm a Smash 4 and Melee player moving to Columbia in a couple of weeks, and I'm trying to get practice for both games, and possibly host at my soon to be apartment.

Bad1

Smash Rookie
Tournament in Myrtle Beach coming up this Saturday! https://www.facebook.com/events/1462538850707109/
It's just a Melee singles and doubles tourney, but it should be fun.

Also a heads up to any Smash players in Columbia. I'm a Smash 4 and Melee player moving to Columbia in a couple of weeks, and I'm trying to get practice for both games, and possibly host at my soon to be apartment.
I'll be living right next to five-points so let me know man.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Hahh... I've been slacking on this thread hard. I did a mini update with what I've been told is the only SC PR from old school days as well as a couple of tournaments. Shoutouts to @TheGreatBo for help on that.

August

1 EXIT 8: Episode IV (Hilton Head, SC)

https://www.facebook.com/events/400708910111212/

8 Tokyo Smash 1 (Columbia, SC)

https://www.facebook.com/events/894133630679760/

22 Tech Shack Tiger Smash III (Clemson, SC) **OES CIRCUIT**

https://www.facebook.com/events/1436433369994850/

30 Sunday Smash Off 9 (Cayce, SC)

https://www.facebook.com/events/1592201147695553/

In regards to the OES Circuit thingy: OES is doing a thing where if you get the highest points or something then they're flying you out to either Evo or Apex or something. I don't remember and I can't find the post. If you're interested/think you're good enough to get it then I guess you can try to find it/message Evan about it.

Yeahhhh...

Bad1

Smash Rookie
I'm definitely not that good at all. I've started to be able to wavedash some but like I said before I have no practice partner so basically 0 experience playing against someone who is a thinking opponent.

GNOX

Smash Rookie
I'd be interested in any tournaments going on at Coastal Carolina/Myrtle beach area

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
The OP has been updated with all SC Tournaments currently slated to occcur from August-November 2015.

Also, I hope you all have been well! I am now capable of actively playing SSBM Sm4sh due to finally having the time, funds, and means to compete. Most importantly, I have the time to monitor and update the thread.

Therefore, as the original creator of this thread, I have relinquished control of it.

A VERY special shoutout to Player-0 for his diligent and dedicated work (and anyone who helped him keep it organized) while I have been away all this time. In the event that I would become inactive to the point to where the OP would become dated and obsolete (regardless of my activity in smash outside the thread), Player-0 will be the one to take over the thread again. Thank you so much!

Everyone, your input means a lot! If I am missing anything in the OP at any time, please feel free to let me know.

Glad to be back!

Last edited:

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
Hey all, I hope you're doing well :3c What are some of the tournaments coming up that you are looking forward to and training up for? I'm going to try to train up to eventually go to Tipped Off 11, but I'm gonna try to make Smash Series 5 for sure. May start playing more Sm4sh as well. How about you guys?

SpikeTheLucario

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spike448
I live in SC (in Aiken, to be specific) and I'm interested in tourneys, training with others, etc. I play with some people in my area once a week, but we don't often do 1v1's and I don't know about any tourneys that are nearby. I'm interesting in getting competitive (at least a little) in Smash 4, Brawl, Melee, and maybe 64 (even though I'm not that good at it...). I was just wondering who and what is nearby.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
I'll try and get more info later but I can't stress the fact more that FB (Facebook) is where the SC community operates.

If you're just thinking, "FB is weird/whatever." Just think of it as a communication device. Make a fake account if you want.

GuardianTalos

Smash Rookie
I live in SC (in Aiken, to be specific) and I'm interested in tourneys, training with others, etc. I play with some people in my area once a week, but we don't often do 1v1's and I don't know about any tourneys that are nearby. I'm interesting in getting competitive (at least a little) in Smash 4, Brawl, Melee, and maybe 64 (even though I'm not that good at it...). I was just wondering who and what is nearby.
I would love to see a tourney that maybe just happens once a year. I would travel to Columbia for it. I'm not sure i could go much further than that though. Anyone know of anything there? i went to myrtle beach and played some matches there. other than that i haven't heard of much in South Carolina recently.

Player -0

Smash Hero
As I said, join the Facebook group.

There are 2 things happening this weekend afaik. I think there are weeklies in Columbia at Ready to Play or whatever. Charleston also has some get fests but with the flood I think people are pre-occupied.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
I would love to see a tourney that maybe just happens once a year. I would travel to Columbia for it. I'm not sure i could go much further than that though. Anyone know of anything there? i went to myrtle beach and played some matches there. other than that i haven't heard of much in South Carolina recently.

Definitely agreeing with Player-0 here. Let it be known though that Smashboards is a perfectly fine place to meet new players, setup smashfests, and to socialize. However, that being said, the SC Smash community eventually drifted onto Facebook and exploded in popularity. It is imperative that you primarily go where everyone else is going, lest you be left out of the chaotic fun which is the SC Smash Group on Facebook.

So ultimately, my advice is to watch the Facebook page primarily, but to still drop by in this thread every now and then.

SO GET TO TRAININ' AND SOCIALIZING SO YOU CAN WRECK FACE AT TOURNAMENTS! YEEEEEAAAAAH
char_694.jpg

GuardianTalos

Smash Rookie
Definitely agreeing with Player-0 here. Let it be known though that Smashboards is a perfectly fine place to meet new players, setup smashfests, and to socialize. However, that being said, the SC Smash community eventually drifted onto Facebook and exploded in popularity. It is imperative that you primarily go where everyone else is going, lest you be left out of the chaotic fun which is the SC Smash Group on Facebook.

So ultimately, my advice is to watch the Facebook page primarily, but to still drop by in this thread every now and then.

SO GET TO TRAININ' AND SOCIALIZING SO YOU CAN WRECK FACE AT TOURNAMENTS! YEEEEEAAAAAH View attachment 77078
Hahaha, alrighty then. Guess I'm making a Facebook

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
I'm pleased to see some activity in this thread! I admittedly grew lax as I began to primarily focus on the SC Smash facebook group.

All is updated!

ThatNintendoDude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATNINTEND0DUDE
3DS FC
3437-3553-0356
Are there any weeklies in the Greenville area? Trying to get more involved in the Upstate Smash 4 scene, and I want to make it out to a Tech Shack weekly in Clemson, but it would be hard to leave work, sit in traffic, and drive up there in time to participate in the tourney, much less warm up/play friendlies.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Unfortunately no.

There used to be 1Up on Tuesdays but they stopped hosting for some reason. You could inquire on the matter on FB because as far as I know there were okay turnouts.

MarkusAgrippa

Smash Rookie
Somewhat new, trying to find people to practice with during the weekdays, my schedule is a little weird lately. Is this the only part of the forums for SC?

Player -0

Smash Hero
On Smashboards this is the go to place for SC.

Fortunately (idk, unfortunately depending on how you see it?) there's another place with more activity/up to date stuff. That place would be Facebook (check the first post in this thread).

Weekly stuff happens in Clemson (weekdays), Columbia (Ready To Play), and Charleston (I think? I think a guy hosts it at his house so you'll have to inquire into that).

Top Bottom