• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Solid Snake Discussion Thread

tsl

Smash Apprentice
I finally started playing Snake yesterday and ... DEAR GOD he's amazing.

Snake is an UNGODLY free for all character. There are just so many nasty tricks you can pull off.

The moment anyone is hit away from the stage, I immediately jump out to heel-spike them to steal the kill. The Cipher combined with bomb jumping allows you to do this with near impunity. It's especially nasty to spike people who are swimming on water stages, and the water usually means that you don't even need to worry about recovery. I find that the Cipher is good a spiking-deterrent too; I don't know if you can be spiked off of the Cipher or not, but people don't seem to try, lol. Although sometimes you have to worry about the adventurous C. Falcon or Toon Link player that will follow you out to try to overkill the overkill, lol. But typically after you spike two or three people and float safely back to the stage, people learn to not chase after you over the ledge.

Sticking people with C4 when they're preoccupied fighting others is rather evil too. It's almost an art in and of itself as you can come up with endless ways to screw people over with it. I find the Smash Ball / Final Smash is your best friend in this area. When there's a Smash Ball out, everyone nearly stops fighting each other to grab it. Just wait for someone to jump up and miss it. You'll be waiting right for them to stick them when they land. Usually, the Smash Ball's floated away somewhere else by then so you don't even need to worry about the other two players getting in your way. Also, Final Smashes such as Marth's or Ike's that require aim/proximity will have everyone else running away from that player to escape certain doom. Just predict their path of escape and stick them while they're trying to run away. This is especially easy on platform stages like Castle Siege Second Transformation with flying / floating characters like Kirby or Pit. Naturally, they'll try to use their jumping abilities to get to higher ground. Just lie in wait on a middle or upper platform and stick them as they try to fly upwards. It's almost a guaranteed kill at that height too.

Planting Claymore mines on high platforms is especially disgusting as well. When everyone else is preoccupied fighting, just plant a fully charged D-smash on the highest part of the level. All the other players will take note of you and think they're so smart, "Oh, well I'll just make sure to avoid that platform." Of course, then suddenly someone is hit upwards at 80% INTO your mine and you instantly steal the kill. You can't really avoid a mine you took note of when you're hit into it, now can ya? The worst part about this one is that there's nothing they can do. The moment everyone sees that one poor person being hit upwards into a direct path toward the mine, you can literally feel the room tense up as everyone knows what's about to happen. Even the person who hit the poor fella up feels bad.

Stealing Smash Balls / Final Smashes with the Nikita is fun too.

God ... I could go on all day. Inventing ways to screw people over with this character is a like a sick little game within the game. Too much fun. And the LULZ you get makes it worthwhile for everyone in the room ... Although I find that eventually, people get pissed off and start gunning for you. Right about the time that happens, I switch characters, LOL. Snake's best in FFA when he's unnoticed. Hide and find the opportune moments to sweep in for the kill.

He's definitely a very difficult character to 1 v 1 with. It takes much practice, and I'm not even anywhere near mediocre yet. His playing style in terms of technique is in the "tricky" category, like Peach or Young Link from Melee. You have to be VERY good with all the items at his fingertips. But the thing that makes Snake so different is that you have to come up with ways to set up your opponent for traps and kills. You definitely have to be able to think a few steps ahead of your enemy in order to make the most of this character, which is the hardest part for me because I'm more of a "think quickly on your feet," reactionary-type player. You have to be able to control the game with Snake, make the opponent play at your pace and on your terms. The level of mindgames is Over 9000.

Playing Snake is going to become an art of its own. When this game comes out to everyone, the Smash scene is going to go crazy over Snake. In my opinion, he's the character with the most depth behind his game.

So sick ... I can't believe they put a character like this in the game. It's just too amazing.

tsl

Smash Apprentice
sounds like to be good with him you have to be really good with strategies.
Yes, which is why I suck right now. -.-

...except for FFA. :D

Oh, I discovered another gross cheat for C4 planting today. This one is usable for 1v1 too (if items are on.) Do you ever find yourself in the situation where both you and another player spot an item at the same time and you both race to get it ... but your opponent got there JUST before you did? Well, if that particular item happens to be an Assist Trophy, you're in luck. Whenever anyone grabs an assist trophy, they always spam "A" to crack that baby open as fast as possible, because one, you can't use any "A" attacks while holding it, two, you don't want it knocked out of your hands, and three, Assist Trophies are amazing. ATs are basically the new Pokeballs. Anyway, your opponent grabbed the AT just a split second before you did. What do you do? Safely plant C4 on him. That's right, I said safely: The time it takes for his character to crack open that trophy is JUST enough time for you to plant your evil and run away. During that entire trophy startup time, your opponent has no way of attacking you or avoiding your plant. ATs aren't like Pokeballs where it can be thrown at an enemy, and your opponent is completely vulnerable while he is in the AT startup animation. Plus, you're probably not going to be liking whatever comes out of that trophy anyway, so get the hell away from there. So you lost the trophy, but make your opponent pay a price for getting it first.

There was a whole series of mindgames going on today in our crew over Assist Trophies because of my evil Snake tactics, LOL. People would be hesitant to pick up ATs whenever I was near, because they knew I'd run right in to stick them. But at the same time, they didn't want me getting the trophy either. We'd have whole BATTLES over ATs, sometimes multiple stocks, and it wasn't until the trophy started disappearing that people would force themselves to make a move, LOL.

I'd imagine that this would work with any other items that require some sort of startup time and that an opponent would want to use right away ... I can't really think of any others besides ATs off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are probably a few other items you can use this trick with. ATs are just the most ideal because of the perfect window of vulnerability it puts your opponent in.

But the best noob character is probably mario, i found that hes the easiest for smash newbies.
I'm inclined to agree. Plus, Mario has a familiarity about him simply because everyone knows about the character. Although, I'd have to say that most of the characters in Brawl are fairly easy to pick up (for anyone comfortable with video games, anyway.)

Hardcorenesser, I'd have to say no on Snake. He seems like an exception. I mean, I'm not saying a newbie can't have fun with him, but he's a very difficult character to play proficiently. As it's been mentioned before, there's a learning curve. Every time we had new people come over and play (and by new people, I mean new to Brawl, not newbies. Some of them were very good Melee players,) one of the first characters they'd always try was Snake. Everyone is always so excited about Snake. And then the round would begin and they would almost always mutter something like, "OH MY GAWD, HE SUCKS SO MUCH, HE'S SO SLOW" and then promptly switch characters after one round and never touch him again. So ... that's what I mean by learning curve. But again, I'm sure a COMPLETE NEWB (again, I don't know how good your dad is at video games) can have fun with any of the characters. I would just put him on random (you can select "Random" at the character screen) until he finds someone he likes.

Brawl looks like it will start out with a pretty flat tier list. Just a few GOD TIER characters like that cheap assh*le Marth, and then a REALLY BIG middle tier list, and then a few low tier characters. Sakurai wasn't lying when he said anyone can get good with nearly any character fairly easily in this game (I emphasize "nearly.") Oh, and for those of you thinking that I'm exaggerating about Marth, I'm really not. They UPGRADED him from Melee. Yes, you heard that right. They made him better than he already was. Not cool.

But barring my Marth-hate and all, my comments on "tiers" simply applies to the current metagame, which is not very advanced at all. As we move forward, I'm sure a more complex tier list will develop.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the advice. My dad has no video game experience whatsoever (I know. Terrible, isn't it?). I was just thinking my dad would like snake cuz he was in the army and stuff and snake has all the cool gadgets. I guess I'll start him out on random but I wish you had the choice to know who it was though, just so you don't end up the same character twice in a row. Perhaps I'll just have my dad go down the line, from left to right. Thanks again!

tsl

Smash Apprentice
I would say to just start him out on Snake. For someone who's never played video games to get into it, having something personal to connect with really helps them get interested. And since you were planning to put him on random anyway, it can't hurt.

verditude

Smash Journeyman
You can stick C4 to an opponent then hit him with a dash attack or run past him like with a gooey bomb and it will stick to you.

hypeman

Smash Apprentice
I'm a snake, marth, and zelda in training.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
You can stick it on to your opponents don't know if you can to yourself. Here is a video of him sticking it on Captian Falcon http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rMnJhiRwyrs&feature=related. You hear some squishy sound when it attaches you see it on the last kill.
I was actually thoroughly impressed with how well he was able to connect with the air moves. Too bad the C. Falcon wasn't the best of opponents. On the topic of the C4 though, did it just change hands multiple times cause I heard the squish a couple times.

hypeman

Smash Apprentice
I'm a snake, marth, and zelda in training.
I was actually thoroughly impressed with how well he was able to connect with the air moves. Too bad the C. Falcon wasn't the best of opponents. On the topic of the C4 though, did it just change hands multiple times cause I heard the squish a couple times.
just read on Ign that it works like the gooey bomb if the person snake attaches it to makes contact with another it sticks to them instead

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Oh man that's a pain. I could imagine losing track and managing to attach it on myself after doing a dash attack. xD

Zink

Smash Champion
guys I've been playing since yesterday, and I already found fun stuff. CHARGE the dsmash mine whenever you can, it gets a lot more powerful.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Got a bit of useful information: Snake's Cypher neutralizes Toon Link's DAir completly. Had it happen 3 times on wifi, Snake just stops the attack and pushes TL to the side.

The Enemy

Smash Apprentice
I noticed in vids that when Snake lands soon after doing a BAir he is lying in the crawling position. Is it possible to immediately crawl after Short hopping this move or is he still stuck in the lag?

Dx-pyrohunter64

Smash Apprentice
lol it's fun sticking the c4 on people, for fun doubles matches, pair up snake with sonic and have your friend be sonic. stick a c4 on them by walking up to them and pushing down b, then have sonic go attack someone and the c4 will stick onto them, then detonate whenever you want =] probably already been discovered just thought I'd mention it

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I don't think he was really asking a question, but what he asked was just a statement for him being surprised that you could do that.

Thanatology

Smash Rookie
Anyone else having trouble against Squirtle? My friend mains Pkmn Trainer, and I have the hardest time landing any hits when he's Squirtle. The guy is so fast that I have to resort to nade->shielding to get any damage off. Do you guys have any tips against the speedy characters?

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Spam Ftilt. If the first hit connects, then attack with the second hit. If the First hit doesn't connect, then shield or run away to avoid getting hit. If you can shield cancel, you can also throw out jabs, and if they hit shield cancel into ftilt.

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
How do you guys deal with meat knight? Sheild bombing and solid sliding work well but i need more than that. His high priotry and attack speed seem to be a counter to a snake player who needs to keep his distance. And his tornado passes right threw the Nikata witct really sucks cause the nikats my bread and butter and long range.

Any tips on beating meta knight or any other fast small charicters?

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Dtilt -> ftilt/nair, depending on his percentage. If he drills, drop a grenade. His shuttle loop is fast and can catch you off guard, but if he spams it, keep away. Get explosives everywhere. If he's staying in the air, launch mortars. Do an uncharged dsmash ona platform, too, to catch him off guard.

SanjiWatsuki

Smash Cadet
Not sure if this has been said, nor does it have any use in 1v1, but his down throw looks like it has some super armor of some sort. If you place a Down Smash mine then immediately grab someone next to you and use your down throw, and they don't tech, then when you lay them down the mine will go off. Both of you take damage, but you appear to have SAF and don't move.

Completely useless random SAF. =)

Stryks

Smash Hero
Im starting to use snake, at 1st I found him kinda hard to get used to, and thus didnt wanted to use him, but I really like the character and his games, and thats how I choose my characters, not by brokeness or techniques, but on how I like them, and yeah I decided ill try and master him, tough he'll be my secondary...

Angelic gerudo robot combo ftw

kevc

Smash Cadet
lol forward smash is a pretty crazee move, i find if you limit their movements with c4s, mines and grenade, and all of the sudden you pull out the rocket launcher it can cause them confusion

so far it works if i charge forward smash, especially if i catch them right infront of me they'll try to shield it out or it might cause them to make a wrong move and roll into me where ill release it

but yea the obvious flaws are there too

Blackadder

Smash Master
One question, one very important question, and that's it.

Snake has "Tasty!" as one of his sayings in Sound Test. I squeed tat they put this in. Where is it in game? I MUST know.

Or I will torture all of your groins. :bee:

Top Bottom