• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sukai

Smash Champion
I think Lucas is low tier, because he can't dominate well in 1vs1s.
He's a beast in 3-4man brawls though.
I've never seen anything regarding the chain grab thing, but that'll support his low tier position as well.
Being easily chain grabbed can lower any character's potential. If it weren't for that, I'd say Lucas would make a fine Mid or (bottom of) High Tier guy.

Afropony

Smash Lord
^I doubt being easily chain grabbed would change your tier position by 10 spots^

Anyone else think Ice Climbers will go down because of restrictions on chain grabs?

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Unless the rules on chaingrabbing have been updated, in general they're still allowed, but some TO's might be having restrictions on it to suit their needs.
I don't think they'll move down at all, they have MASSIVE potential. If anything they'll move up a limited amount (2-4 places(?)), they'd be worthy of high-high/low top IMO if they weren't so easy to seperate, if Nana wasn't pants-on-head ********, and if Popo could hold his own by himself.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
the tier is simply based on tournament results (success rates, etc. with certain characters)...
No lol.
At the time the tier list was made, Sonic was about 22nd, yet still ended up 4th bottom.
On the other extreme, Bowser was near bottom but still ended up comfortably mid tier.

Read M3D's explanation of how it was made on OP. He's a cool guy.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
the tier is simply based on tournament results (success rates, etc. with certain characters)... so it doesn't even apply to a single player, just the group as an estimated whole.. in your personal tier of characetrs you are good with, pk trainer and peach are your top tiers
Luigi is evidence enough that this is not true.

You have to keep in mind that some characters were over or under-repped in some regions which may have caused inflation or deflation; as well, the greater majority of tourneys tended to be less than 20 people, which allowed a lot of characters to get top 8s they might not have gotten in a large scale tourney.

I so called Sonic. /smug

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Luigi is evidence enough that this is not true.

You have to keep in mind that some characters were over or under-repped in some regions which may have caused inflation or deflation; as well, the greater majority of tourneys tended to be less than 20 people, which allowed a lot of characters to get top 8s they might not have gotten in a large scale tourney.

I so called Sonic. /smug
Luigi was last in the rankings list a few months ago, now hes in the middle. =/

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Is there a thread for guessing and discussing how the Tier List v1.1 will turn out?

If so, give me a link, please.

If not, I'd gladly start one.

Barge

I don't think it will go from 1.0 to 1.1 unless like, 1 or 2 character were moved, my guess its going to be 1.5 or if a big change, 2.0

yggdrasil325

Smash Rookie
My main concern with tier lists is the division between "top," "high," etc. In my mind, each category should have an equal number of characters. But that's just me.
I wonder if each of PT's pokemon should be listed separately? Some people only use Squirtle (or in my case, Charizard, who I'm sure is what made PT low tier :laugh: ).

Barge

My main concern with tier lists is the division between "top," "high," etc. In my mind, each category should have an equal number of characters. But that's just me.
I wonder if each of PT's pokemon should be listed separately? Some people only use Squirtle (or in my case, Charizard, who I'm sure is what made PT low tier :laugh: ).
You can't list them as seperate characters because the game makes you switch when you die, and fatigue makes you WANT to switch due to weakened attacks.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
The tier divisions are made wherever there is a significant jump between characters. For example, the fact that Marth is in high and not top means that the difference between Falco and ROB is close than between ROB and Marth.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Anyone who uses just one pokeman is a fool.

kr3wman

Smash Master
the divisions in the tier list are gaps in the overall matchups numbers between the characters. The Gap between ROB and Marth, Wolf and Toon Link and Sheik and Lucas are bigger than the other ones.

And just search the thread -I think it's a button you can click on on top of the thread- to find the answer to that.

Too late for that.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
OK, here's a question, how do you avoid placing people on a tier list due to a high amount of popularty (or, in simple terms, how do you accurately place someone on a tier list when certain characters are popular [Meta Knight and Snake, for example] while others have a base small enough to fit into a small SUV and still have room for stuff [ex. Pokemon Trainer and Yoshi])

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
eventually character potential will show through tournament results. if one player is so successful with one character (futile is an example of that already) he will affect that character's placement on the tier list already. same with azen and lucario. (and chudat's ice climbers in melee)

popularity definitely is a big factor, but it's also the main reason why the character ranking list has historically had huge differences with the actual tier list.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Oh. Well, can you explain why currently it somewhat dictates the current tier list? I mean, If you look at the current list, it serves as an argument for anti-tiers (I'm not one of them, but the cracks are showing). The back room should be working on the second tier list soon, so that they can at least pull the rug on the anti-tiers.

SMBEffect

Smash Apprentice
Well, I do have to agree that character potential will probably be more accurate, but the Tier list doesn't look horribly bad. I see a few things that struck me as odd, but it seems like a solid first attempt.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
no charizard, i know that popularity will always have a big effect. popularity only means that the character will be pioneered faster and further than other characters. if it "stagnates" the metagame, then so be it. there will always be those low tier enthusiasts who keep trying to make their character better anyway, so more power to them.

gantrain05

Smash Master
. there will always be those low tier enthusiasts who keep trying to make their character better anyway said:
yup, try maining basically EVERY character from mid to low tier, except for sonic and falcon, believe it or not, i actually play ganon as a counter to lucario lol, im 4-0 so it seems to work for me, also staying true to your character will eventually raise thier spot on the tier list, i mained peach from the beginning when everyone said she was garbage, and now i can't remember exactly but she's top of mid tier i think?

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, everyone said peach stunk, but her forward air made up for the nerfing of her down smash.. her grabs are so smooth because if you main her it just kinda works... I used her in melee... her air combos are godly

Alphicans

Smash Hero
When I hear people say how brawl nerfed characters moves I kind of laugh, especially the peach one. To me it's not nerfing, it's fixing :p.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
no charizard, i know that popularity will always have a big effect.
Still, popularity doesn't seem to be always the case.
Toon Link, Peach and Bowser would like to have a word with you.

(I liked your old avatar:()

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Some nerfs from Melee were a little drastic (Sheik's dair says hi), but Sakurai intended for the characters to be more balanced by the nerfs. (interesting to see what types of nerfs MK will have in SSB4 >_>) Nerfs are in no means used to keep one from maining the nerfed character, if you like/enjoy set characters playstyle, go ahead. Peach mains will still main Peach, Sheik mains will still main Sheik, and Lord knows that Falcon mains will still main Falcon!

GrayPlague

Smash Apprentice
I can see MK becoming what he really should have been: a character with ridiculous priority and speed, but literally no killing moves. Oh, and the Shuttle Loop will see a HUGE nerf, I can tell you that.

Barge

Finally, it's back up, hope they fixed the avatar problem, anyways, I believe lucas should move up at least a few more spaces, he has so much potential its ridiculous D:

kr3wman

Smash Master
Some nerfs from Melee were a little drastic (Sheik's dair says hi), but Sakurai intended for the characters to be more balanced by the nerfs. (interesting to see what types of nerfs MK will have in SSB4 >_>) Nerfs are in no means used to keep one from maining the nerfed character, if you like/enjoy set characters playstyle, go ahead. Peach mains will still main Peach, Sheik mains will still main Sheik, and Lord knows that Falcon mains will still main Falcon!
Well, since Falcon's playstyle was doing combos, I sure as hell can't play Brawl Falcon like Melee Falcon.

But he's still the most fun character in there, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom