• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_judge

Smash Journeyman
Didn't think they'd put Kirby that high, more of the reason for me to keep playing him.

The only char I would actually argue about is Link, though I find his unnecassary changes bad, he has a few options to keep up with mid-high chars.

I really dislike the fact that he's a heavy char now.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Didn't think they'd put Kirby that high, more of the reason for me to keep playing him.

The only char I would actually argue about is Link, though I find his unnecassary changes bad, he has a few options to keep up with mid-high chars.

I really dislike the fact that he's a heavy char now.
Weight doesn't really matter unless their recovery doesn't make up for it, which his doesn't. Hence the low placement

]:

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Oh please. Olimar has an equally bad recovery, and that doesn't hold him back from almost being high tier (which he should be). Opinions aside, recovery doesn't take everything good away from a character.

Barge

Oh please. Olimar has an equally bad recovery, and that doesn't hold him back from almost being high tier (which he should be). Opinions aside, recovery doesn't take everything good away from a character.
Olimar's recovery is NOT as bad as links.
If they weren't being ledgehogged, olimar would make it back, and link wouldnt.
If they were being ledgehogged, olimar has a chance at making it back (hit them off then get on) or taking them down with them (purple/white pikmin spike)
while link would die.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well for recovery purposes, olimar takes the cake. For ledge guarding, Link wins. It's very risky to venture off the ledge with olimar, due to very sneaky tactics. I've done it plenty.

Barge

The only reason you should be going offledge with olimar is to spike :O
Which olimar is quite good at.

the_judge

Smash Journeyman
I think the weight is more of a hindrance than a simple change in movement.

This heavyness transfers to recovery, in which he has less options now, hook shot is pretty short and he is open to a spike a short period of time while hanging.
And upB has little horizontal movement, unless you have enough momentum he almost goes straight up, and also stops rising b4 the last 1-2 slashes.

In everything outside of recovery, I think he's middle, but with possibly the worst recovery in the game I believe that knocks him down to bottom.

Sukai

Smash Champion
It's not as simple as that! Skill is not the only factor. You can't possibly try to defend that it is. Even if you were slightly better than me, you will never beat my MK with Captain Falcon. There has to be a GIANT skill difference for it to even be a remotely even match-up. With everyone else it's just a sliding scale. If you're slightly better than me with DDD, your DDD might be about even with my MK, since I had the advantage there in the first place.
I get what you're saying, indeed Skill does not make it all, but it makes most of it. The Character in question may have some quirks here and there, but in the end the player is what matters. The skill difference isn't that big, take for instance in Melee, I played a **** good Roy, who was Low or Bottom tier if I recall, I've taken down pro Shieks and Marths left and right with him. Indeed, Roy has more weaknesses that can be exploited than Marth and Shiek, but it comes down to the player. My P.I. and Reaction was better than that of my opponent, which is why I came out on top. I'm not saying Roy should be higher tier, I'm saying that the Tier list does not say one character cannot beat another given equal skill level. Becasue that is clearly not true.
I don't play Captian Falcon, but I can sure take you up on your challenge, I'll use Zelda (a Mid tier chick) just to show you my main point.

IC had a lot of capabilities for potential. ICs always have been full of potential as a result of the uniqueness of their character (specifically, the fact that they're two characters).
Riiiight, did you belive that before Chu Dat came in and changed everyone's views?
Be honest now.
That's a result of it being difficult to take advantage of that. You know why that IC player dominated? Because he was good. That doesn't mean that melee ICs are equivalent to Fox.
You just supported my point that it comes down to the player's skill that determines an outcome. I'm not saying that ICs are equivalent to Fox, I'm saying that a good enough player can beat a pro Fox with the ICs.
Now, look at CF. Tell me, what the heck kind of potential can you see trapped in that manly body?
A nice combonation of his speed and air attacks can make a deadly combo if used correctly, the knee can still be used, not to mention his specials. Plus there are the fundamental smash techniques that any character can use. Those alone increases the potential any character can have, depending on how you use it and when.

I don't see how that logic works. Skill allows you to manipulate the situation, but by placing yourself in an inherently disadvantaged situation to start, how does that mean you have an even match against someone who is equally skilled at manipulating the situation to their benefit.
You focus too much on character flaws rather than the skill of the player. Skill in itself can exempt a weakness from being exploited. For example take Ike. He's a slow character, and just about any fast person can take him down. But what if the player shield grabbed alot, played defensively, abused his hit boxes, and timed his attacks to land during a stagger period, the player's skill exempt Ike's general weakness of slow momentum from being abused. Follow?
Or take your precious Meta Knight for instance. He's light, as hell. But you manuever him to a point that his weight is moot, your skill exempt Meta Knight's general weakness of light-weightitude from being exploited.
Can you deny the difference in character flaws? Each has disadvantages and advantages. There isn't a perfect character, of course. However, some have a lot more advantages and fewer disadvantages than other characters.
I know this, but--ugh, just read above.
Skill > Character flaws
For example, let's list MK's disadvantages:
He's light.
He can't kill aat low percentages unless he gets a gimp.
You forgot to mention that all of his specials leaves him without any furthur input until he lands on solid ground.
Or the fact that he's basically predictable and can be dodged easily dispite his speed.
Or the other weaknesses Meta Knight carries, but your level of skill with him exempts these weaknesses from being used against you. See?
Not a long list.

Now, try doing that for Ganondorf. Let's see how they compare.
Again, Skill > Chacracter Weaknesses

First of all, it's "learn to play".
I like learn to player better.
Second, are you trying to insult my ability to play the game?
Only if you're apart of the guilty party who does the mentioned actions I described.
Is that at all releant to the discussion or do you have any reason to do so?
Yeah. It support my entire point. I don't see how you failed to see that.
Third, being "cheap" means nothing in competitive play. If you can get easy kills from fairs and dsmash with MK, why the hell wouldn't you take advantage of that?
Who said I was talking exclusively about Meta Knight?
Of course learning a character will make you much more competitive with him. However, Captain Falcon mains will have to put in a ridiculous amount of skill into their character in order to even approach having a fair match-up against the top characters.
Not really.
This list is based off of high level play against evenly matched opponets.
Noooooo, this list was based off of how many people used what charcater how often and how well.
You can't make the arguement that the list is bs because the CF can always get much better than the MK. The list assumes that isn't the case.
I never said the list was bs.
I said to me, personally, don't care for it, then I gave my reason.
Is this why you decided to lash out at me?
Over a misconception of my general point? Sorry for voicing my opinion, pal. But it stays.:laugh:

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
I get what you're saying, indeed Skill does not make it all, but it makes most of it. The Character in question may have some quirks here and there, but in the end the player is what matters. The skill difference isn't that big, take for instance in Melee, I played a **** good Roy, who was Low or Bottom tier if I recall, I've taken down pro Shieks and Marths left and right with him. Indeed, Roy has more weaknesses that can be exploited than Marth and Shiek, but it comes down to the player. My P.I. and Reaction was better than that of my opponent, which is why I came out on top. I'm not saying Roy should be higher tier, I'm saying that the Tier list does not say one character cannot beat another given equal skill level. Becasue that is clearly not true.
I don't play Captian Falcon, but I can sure take you up on your challenge, I'll use Zelda (a Mid tier chick) just to show you my main point.
I never said that the tier list said one character couldn't beat another. I said that it was based on skill, yet different characters had inherent advantages over others in tournaments. You say you beat Marths and Sheiks with your Roy. Good for you. That means you were better than them, because if you were at an equal skill level, they would have won because their character has a big advantage over your's.
I wasn't serious about the challenge, as there's no way to prove that we are of equal skill, and thus, no way to prove that I would win simply because I'm MK. If you really want to play though, I don't mind.

Riiiight, did you belive that before Chu Dat came in and changed everyone's views?
Be honest now.
I saw that ICs were asking to be exploited. I didn't know how. Chu Dat showed everyone how.

You just supported my point that it comes down to the player's skill that determines an outcome. I'm not saying that ICs are equivalent to Fox, I'm saying that a good enough player can beat a pro Fox with the ICs.
Okay, good, then we agree. It certainly seemed to me that you were neglecting the effect of characters on the outcome of a match.

A nice combonation of his speed and air attacks can make a deadly combo if used correctly, the knee can still be used, not to mention his specials. Plus there are the fundamental smash techniques that any character can use. Those alone increases the potential any character can have, depending on how you use it and when.
Captain Falcon doesn't have combos, much less a deadly one. I would exactly call his knee the epitome of potential, either. Saying that he can do the ATs that everyone else can doesn't make CF equal to everyone else.

You focus too much on character flaws rather than the skill of the player. Skill in itself can exempt a weakness from being exploited. For example take Ike. He's a slow character, and just about any fast person can take him down. But what if the player shield grabbed alot, played defensively, abused his hit boxes, and timed his attacks to land during a stagger period, the player's skill exempt Ike's general weakness of slow momentum from being abused. Follow?
Or take your precious Meta Knight for instance. He's light, as hell. But you manuever him to a point that his weight is moot, your skill exempt Meta Knight's general weakness of light-weightitude from being exploited.

I know this, but--ugh, just read above.
Skill > Character flaws

Again, Skill > Chacracter Weaknesses
Of course Ike can overcome his weaknesses to win. I never suggested otherwise. However, Ike has comparatively massive weaknesses next to MK. Ike can beat MK if he plays well. However, the weaknesses don't suddenly disappear if the player is good. No matter how good you are with Ike, he will still be slow and will still have a mediocre recovery. If you can minimize those and win despite them, more power to you. However, a, say, MK player doesn't really have any massive flaws he needs to learn to avoid. Of course there's plenty of skill involved, but MK doesn't have to deal with any weaknesses as a result of his character (other than perhaps Snake's up-tilt). The MK player can beat an equally skilled Ike. Do you deny that?

You forgot to mention that all of his specials leaves him without any furthur input until he lands on solid ground.
Or the fact that he's basically predictable and can be dodged easily dispite his speed.
Or the other weaknesses Meta Knight carries, but your level of skill with him exempts these weaknesses from being used against you. See?
First of all, MK's specials aren't a weak point. Tornado and SL are both ridiculous. To call individual aspects of those a weakness is like saying ROB's weakness is that his B-side isn't a projectile.
Yes, a bad player will suffer from that by ending tornados and drill rushes in mid-air. The tier list doesn't care about terrible players. Tier lists examine the characters at high levels of play.

I like learn to player better.
Player is a noun, not a verb.

Only if you're apart of the guilty party who does the mentioned actions I described.

Yeah. It support my entire point. I don't see how you failed to see that.

Are you trying to say I need to get better in order to talk about this, or am I completely misinterpreting "Learn to player"?

No one. I used MK as an example. The same goes for every character.

Noooooo, this list was based off of how many people used what charcater how often and how well.

I never said the list was bs.
I said to me, personally, don't care for it, then I gave my reason.
Is this why you decided to lash out at me?
Over a misconception of my general point? Sorry for voicing my opinion, pal. But it stays.:laugh:
Saying that the list is not based off of character strength but off of popularity is calling the list bs. That's not what the list is based off. Read the OP.

I haven't beeen lashing out at you. I've been arguing withyou. That generally tends to happen in forums. Have I been overly rude? I don't think I have. You were the one who told me I needed to "learn to player".

The Bird

Smash Apprentice
Mario?... Low? ;_;
He's in there because so many new characters are top tier (A trend that i hope isn't continuing) so therefore a perfect middle tier would be moved down to a low tier. But im sure it doesn't have to do with FLOYD he was an ok substitute.

Sukai

Smash Champion
I wasn't serious about the challenge, as there's no way to prove that we are of equal skill, and thus, no way to prove that I would win simply because I'm MK. If you really want to play though, I don't mind.
I could use more Brawl friends.

I saw that ICs were asking to be exploited. I didn't know how. Chu Dat showed everyone how.
As long as you're honest.

Okay, good, then we agree. It certainly seemed to me that you were neglecting the effect of characters on the outcome of a match.
No, I wasn't neglecting it, I was saying that it's irrevelant when under the control of a well (enough) skilled player.

Captain Falcon doesn't have combos, much less a deadly one. I would exactly call his knee the epitome of potential, either. Saying that he can do the ATs that everyone else can doesn't make CF equal to everyone else.
He does have combos, I've seen them. I never said that with the fundamentals alone can make him equivalent to every other character, I said that they can increase any character's potential.

Of course Ike can overcome his weaknesses to win.
No, not Ike himself, but a good Ike player.
I never suggested otherwise. However, Ike has comparatively massive weaknesses next to MK. Ike can beat MK if he plays well. However, the weaknesses don't suddenly disappear if the player is good.
I never said they will, I said that the weaknesses cannot be exploited when a good player is is playing so that they can't. There's a difference.
No matter how good you are with Ike, he will still be slow and will still have a mediocre recovery.
Granted, his vertical recovery is bad when trying to gain lateral distance, but his lateral one (side B) is very effective when used right, I'd ba happy to show you when we fight.
If you can minimize those and win despite them, more power to you. However, a, say, MK player doesn't really have any massive flaws he needs to learn to avoid. Of course there's plenty of skill involved, but MK doesn't have to deal with any weaknesses as a result of his character (other than perhaps Snake's up-tilt). The MK player can beat an equally skilled Ike. Do you deny that?
Again, you focus outcomes and senarios emphasizing Character traits other than general skill of the player.
Look at it from my perspective for a second, using my sum up of skill.
Circumstance, P.I. (Personal Input) and Reaction.
Keep in mind that these steps can be altered and manipulated based on Character traits.
Anyway lets say, yeah, Meta Knight vs the Falcon man.
True, Captian Falcon has more weaknesses than Meta Knight, but look at it this way, and imagine them having equal skill level.
Circumstance: Meta Knight rushes in.
Personal Input: The player predicts the MK player will try to grab him and follow up with a f air, so he sets up a neutral dodge and a sheild grab
Reaction: Meta Knight comes in with a dash attack, going through to the other side of Captian Falcon (because the C F player Neutral dodged).
This chain of events changes the circumstances and it repeats.
Now lets go further into the fight.
Circumstance: Meta Knight is going in for the kill by using a down smash to catch him while C F is off the ledge and trying to recover, a down smash is attempted here, because attempts to chase him with air attacks have failed due to air dodging on C F's part.
Personal input: Being used to being chased off stage, the C F player does not know what is to be attempted here.
Reaction: The C F player does not do a double jump untl he is close to the stage, then recovers enough to make it to the ledge, Meta Knight's smash attack failed.

Now outcomes aside, you see that results here are made by input on the player's end, knowing well enough to cover their weaknesses enough to make a fair match.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that a good player, regardless (using the above method) can automatically cover up weaknesses on the character's end. Well, it's complicated.

First of all, MK's specials aren't a weak point. Tornado and SL are both ridiculous. To call individual aspects of those a weakness is like saying ROB's weakness is that his B-side isn't a projectile.
No you didn't read it right. I said that the aftermath of all his specials, leave him in post recovery mode, where he can't do anything, until he lands on solid ground, that can indeed be exploited.
Yes, a bad player will suffer from that by ending tornados and drill rushes in mid-air. The tier list doesn't care about terrible players. Tier lists examine the characters at high levels of play.

Player is a noun, not a verb.
So? Learning to play and learning to player are two different things. Learning to play is grasping the controls and methods. Learning to player is relying on your skills to win by using your own methods and personal tactics instead of relying on character advantages and disadvantages to win.

Are you trying to say I need to get better in order to talk about this, or am I completely misinterpreting "Learn to player"?
You are misinterpreting ther phrase, I'm not insulting your ability to play, nor am I saying that you need to get better, mainly because I have no clue of your skill.

Saying that the list is not based off of character strength but off of popularity is calling the list bs. That's not what the list is based off. Read the OP.
I'm not saying that. Popularity is indeed used to help determine it, because a few Sonic player who have won torneys would not get much rep if there are more Meta Knight players who have done the same. But neither did I say that the list was based entirely off of popularity, if that was the case, then this debate would be moot. Be sure to understand all of what I said in my description of the list.
"Based off of how many people played what character how well"
This means pretty much that more people play Meta Knight well than people who play Captian Falcon, which is why Meta Knight is top and Falcon is bottom, not so much that Captian Falcon is persay a "bad" character.
You can't really say that the list is based off of high level players, how are you so sure to clarify that all the players were at equal skill level? What determines a player to be of equal skill to another? In my opinion, what determines it is equal play between the players, not the effort given for the character used.

I haven't beeen lashing out at you.
Accusing me of insulting your ability to play can get the wrong impression on a guy.
I've been arguing withyou. That generally tends to happen in forums.
I know that.
Have I been overly rude? I don't think I have. You were the one who told me I needed to "learn to player".
I never said that you, exclusively needs to learn to player.
In my first post here, that comment went to all the people who took the tier list too seriously, basing good and bad characters off of what the tier list shows.
if a person learns to player, then the tier list becomes moot, being only a chart of tourney results, such as is my opinion on it.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The difference between the highest character and the lowest character I don't even know how this game is still played competitively. The balance in Melee was sketchy but Jesus Christ, most of Brawl's cast can't even touch few top tiers.

the_judge

Smash Journeyman
Brawl's tier list emphasizes how much more work the lower chars have to do to beat higher chars.

In Melee, about all high tier chars were there because of how great they were when a skilled player plays them.
In Brawl, it is more so which chars are the easiest to win with.
Since Brawl's skill factor is UNDER HALF of Melee's, skill doesn't necessarily define a char's tier position. It's about how much you have to do to win.

Sakurai doesn't like Smash being competitive, so he made it so that anyone can pick up and play quickly.
So when you say skill, your implying that the player has basic knowledge of the char's moveset and hit properties, nothing more.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
I could use more Brawl friends.
Send me a PM sometime then.

No, I wasn't neglecting it, I was saying that it's irrevelant when under the control of a well (enough) skilled player.
We're exclusively talking about skilled players here. If you're saying it's irrelevant among them (as in, a pro top tier player will have no advantage over a pro low tier player of equal skill) then you are indeed neglecting it.

He does have combos, I've seen them. I never said that with the fundamentals alone can make him equivalent to every other character, I said that they can increase any character's potential.
He doesn't have much at all, at the very least, especially compared to Melee CF.
The thing is the point is how they relate to other characters. A universal AT doesn't make CF any less terrible compared to everyone else unless he can do it better than everyone else. For example, having a good wavedash was a plus for characters in Melee. There's no equivalent that CF excells at in this game.

I never said they will, I said that the weaknesses cannot be exploited when a good player is is playing so that they can't. There's a difference.
They can still be exploited. You can minimize weaknesses, but you can't get rid of them. No matter how good you are with Ike, you will still get shield-grabbed/attacked OOS and gimped occasionally.

Granted, his vertical recovery is bad when trying to gain lateral distance, but his lateral one (side B) is very effective when used right, I'd ba happy to show you when we fight.
*Air dodge in front of QD*

Again, you focus outcomes and senarios emphasizing Character traits other than general skill of the player.
Look at it from my perspective for a second, using my sum up of skill.
Circumstance, P.I. (Personal Input) and Reaction.
Keep in mind that these steps can be altered and manipulated based on Character traits.
Anyway lets say, yeah, Meta Knight vs the Falcon man.
True, Captian Falcon has more weaknesses than Meta Knight, but look at it this way, and imagine them having equal skill level.
Circumstance: Meta Knight rushes in.
Personal Input: The player predicts the MK player will try to grab him and follow up with a f air, so he sets up a neutral dodge and a sheild grab
Reaction: Meta Knight comes in with a dash attack, going through to the other side of Captian Falcon (because the C F player Neutral dodged).
This chain of events changes the circumstances and it repeats.
Now lets go further into the fight.
Circumstance: Meta Knight is going in for the kill by using a down smash to catch him while C F is off the ledge and trying to recover, a down smash is attempted here, because attempts to chase him with air attacks have failed due to air dodging on C F's part.
Personal input: Being used to being chased off stage, the C F player does not know what is to be attempted here.
Reaction: The C F player does not do a double jump untl he is close to the stage, then recovers enough to make it to the ledge, Meta Knight's smash attack failed.

Now outcomes aside, you see that results here are made by input on the player's end, knowing well enough to cover their weaknesses enough to make a fair match.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that a good player, regardless (using the above method) can automatically cover up weaknesses on the character's end. Well, it's complicated.
You have to make the players of equal skill! Of course a predictable MK will lose to a highly skilled and reactive CF. You can't use that as an example, though. For every mindgame CF has, MK has a much better one. CF has to be MUCH faster to punish MK than the reverse. CF "shows his moves" in advance much more than MK does. When CF is trying to knee you, you can tell. With MK, if you expect a SL from him, he can bait out the airdodge and punish you with a SL then.

If the CF can predict and react to the MK, the CF will win.
If the MK can predict and react to the CF, the MK will win.
The second of those is a whole lot easier to do.

No you didn't read it right. I said that the aftermath of all his specials, leave him in post recovery mode, where he can't do anything, until he lands on solid ground, that can indeed be
exploited.
That's what I was replying to. The only times you should EVER be ending specials above the ground are tornados (if you've trapped them and send them up, you can get to the ground in time) and shuttle loops, where you can just glide to the ground and then cancel with zero lag. If anyone ends a cape or a drill rush in mid-air you have my permission to usmash them with Ike. My point was that you can't call it a disadvantage for MK that his moves aren't perfect. If used correctly, they are very good. Okay, maybe only tornado and SL.

So? Learning to play and learning to player are two different things. Learning to play is grasping the controls and methods. Learning to player is relying on your skills to win by using your own methods and personal tactics instead of relying on character advantages and disadvantages to win.
*Grammer OCD flips out* I think you mean "learn to be a better player". Player isn't something you can do (a verb), it's something you are (a noun).
I agree wtih your distinction between "learning to play" and "learning to be a better player", though.

You are misinterpreting ther phrase, I'm not insulting your ability to play, nor am I saying that you need to get better, mainly because I have no clue of your skill.
Okay, good.

I'm not saying that. Popularity is indeed used to help determine it, because a few Sonic player who have won torneys would not get much rep if there are more Meta Knight players who have done the same. But neither did I say that the list was based entirely off of popularity, if that was the case, then this debate would be moot. Be sure to understand all of what I said in my description of the list.
"Based off of how many people played what character how well"
This means pretty much that more people play Meta Knight well than people who play Captian Falcon, which is why Meta Knight is top and Falcon is bottom, not so much that Captian Falcon is persay a "bad" character.
That's not how it's decided. It's more of a result than the defining measure of the strength of the character. For example, I've seen a whole lot more Sonics than ICs. That doesn't mean Sonic is better. People play MK and not CF becuase they are top and bottom tier. They aren't top and bottom because people play MK and not CF.

You can't really say that the list is based off of high level players, how are you so sure to clarify that all the players were at equal skill level? What determines a player to be of equal skill to another? In my opinion, what determines it is equal play between the players, not the effort given for the character used.
It's true. It's not an exact science. I wasn't implying that there is some method where a bunch of equally skilled players sit down and the SBR sees who wins among them.

However, they do subjectively pick who they believe would do better if there were equally skilled players.
My point is that "the Ike can always play better and beat the MK" doesn't have anything to do with their ranking.

I never said that you, exclusively needs to learn to player.
In my first post here, that comment went to all the people who took the tier list too seriously, basing good and bad characters off of what the tier list shows.
if a person learns to player, then the tier list becomes moot, being only a chart of tourney results, such as is my opinion on it.
It doesn't become moot. It's an obstacle to overcome if you play low-tier. I fully admit that, if I had dedicated as much time to learning CF and Ganondorf as I did to MK and ROB I would win a whole lot less than I do with MK. I would still beat plenty of players worse than me. However, I'd have an additional (and very big, in the case of CF and Ganondorf) obstacle to overcome that I don't have to deal with with MK. The same is true to a lesser degree for ever other character in the game.

Sakurai doesn't like Smash being competitive, so he made it so that anyone can pick up and play quickly.
So when you say skill, your implying that the player has basic knowledge of the char's moveset and hit properties, nothing more.
I know MK's moves and hit properties quite well. M2K could still kick my ***.

Barge

The difference between the highest character and the lowest character I don't even know how this game is still played competitively. The balance in Melee was sketchy but Jesus Christ, most of Brawl's cast can't even touch few top tiers.
Thats why you pick Mk/Snake.

the_judge

Smash Journeyman
Then that M2K understands what he has to do to defeat your MK.

That means M2K is actually skilled at playing because he can defeat a top tier, but that skill still doesn't define the tier list.
Nor does it mean ur not skillful.

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
Then that M2K understands what he has to do to defeat your MK.

That means M2K is actually skilled at playing because he can defeat a top tier, but that skill still doesn't define the tier list.
Nor does it mean ur not skillful.
Both of us understand our character. Clearly there's something else that makes him so much better than me (hint: it's skill).

Sukai

Smash Champion
Send me a PM sometime then.
I'll add you now, and I'll have you know that I'm mainly available during the afternoon time of just about anyday, feel free to drop in, I'm always up for a challenge.

We're exclusively talking about skilled players here. If you're saying it's irrelevant among them (as in, a pro top tier player will have no advantage over a pro low tier player of equal skill) then you are indeed neglecting it.
Okay then, I'm neglecting it, by your definition only though.

He doesn't have much at all, at the very least, especially compared to Melee CF.
But he still has some.
The thing is the point is how they relate to other characters. A universal AT doesn't make CF any less terrible compared to everyone else unless he can do it better than everyone else. For example, having a good wavedash was a plus for characters in Melee. There's no equivalent that CF excells at in this game.
But these simple things can enhance anyone's game.
They can still be exploited. You can minimize weaknesses, but you can't get rid of them. No matter how good you are with Ike, you will still get shield-grabbed/attacked OOS and gimped occasionally.
Not if you adjust your strategy to prevent that from happening. Anything outside of a stagger period with too little time to tech is avoidable, as long as you take the action to make the result. Keep in mind that this here emphasizes a players input and not some one track strategy based on the character given.
In this case, its not a matter of how good one is with Ike, but how good one is in general.

*Air dodge in front of QD*
That is only if you predict where I release it, I can release it anywhere over the ledge or there at the ledge, or even slightly below it, which would still have Ike grab the ledge. Plus, what if you mis-time it? Failure to complete your plan may result in heavy santions that can tilt the match against your favor. You have to think about these things.

You have to make the players of equal skill! Of course a predictable MK will lose to a highly skilled and reactive CF. You can't use that as an example, though. For every mindgame CF has, MK has a much better one. CF has to be MUCH faster to punish MK than the reverse. CF "shows his moves" in advance much more than MK does. When CF is trying to knee you, you can tell. With MK, if you expect a SL from him, he can bait out the airdodge and punish you with a SL then.

If the CF can predict and react to the MK, the CF will win.
If the MK can predict and react to the CF, the MK will win.
The second of those is a whole lot easier to do.
So you're saying that equally skilled players can't predict each other, at all. Keep in mind that in my latter senario, the C F player could not predict the MK player's plan, so took a safer approach. If one is totally predictable, that wouldn't make them equal players, thats why I included that. I also did that to explain that predictions can go wrong, how Meta Knights player failed at doing so, if he did, then the down smash would have hit..
Not to mention that being predictable does not always mean being avoidable.
For instance if an Ike player were to do a down throw on you with a low precentage, you can predict that the player will follow up with an Aether. You can try to DI all you want, but it will most likely hit either way.

That's what I was replying to.
Well, thats what I said.
The only times you should EVER be ending specials above the ground are tornados (if you've trapped them and send them up, you can get to the ground in time) and shuttle loops, where you can just glide to the ground and then cancel with zero lag. If anyone ends a cape or a drill rush in mid-air you have my permission to usmash them with Ike. My point was that you can't call it a disadvantage for MK that his moves aren't perfect. If used correctly, they are very good. Okay, maybe only tornado and SL.
Yes you can, some moves are not too good, because at some point or another you are too vulnerable. That counts as a disadvantage.

*Grammer OCD flips out* I think you mean "learn to be a better player". Player isn't something you can do (a verb), it's something you are (a noun).
I agree wtih your distinction between "learning to play" and "learning to be a better player", though.
Sigh...
Ease up. Sure the phrase "Learn to player" isn't grammar perfect.
But im shur therz wurse 1s tooo lolollolooololollo...

That's not how it's decided. It's more of a result than the defining measure of the strength of the character. For example, I've seen a whole lot more Sonics than ICs. That doesn't mean Sonic is better. People play MK and not CF becuase they are top and bottom tier. They aren't top and bottom because people play MK and not CF.
I beg to differ.
ll ll
ll ll
v v

2. Instead of measuring match outcomes, tiers are more a measurement of potential of characters against the rest of the cast in a competitive, 1v1 tournament environment. It shows general strength of a character's abilities in a specific tournament environment.
This alone contradicts your say that it's more of a result than the measure of the strength of the character.

3. This list is based on a combination of tournament result data, extensive discussions with top players and tournament hosts and looking at general trends in play in the current competitive metagame.
These trends can pretty much be how many people play a certain character and how well they play them.
Hmm, didn't I say that?
I think I did. :p
And, you know what? I think something else was said about the list that supports my arguement, what was it?

Tiers are not absolute measurements of match outcomes.
There we go, see, this is my entire argument, that one sentence.
I was just explaining how and why.

It's true. It's not an exact science. I wasn't implying that there is some method where a bunch of equally skilled players sit down and the SBR sees who wins among them.

However, they do subjectively pick who they believe would do better if there were equally skilled players.
My point is that "the Ike can always play better and beat the MK" doesn't have anything to do with their ranking.
I know, I was supporting this too.

It doesn't become moot. It's an obstacle to overcome if you play low-tier. I fully admit that, if I had dedicated as much time to learning CF and Ganondorf as I did to MK and ROB I would win a whole lot less than I do with MK. I would still beat plenty of players worse than me. However, I'd have an additional (and very big, in the case of CF and Ganondorf) obstacle to overcome that I don't have to deal with with MK. The same is true to a lesser degree for ever other character in the game.
Try learning Captian Falcon, then afterwards relying on your personal skill to come out on top, in contrast in believing that you are limited by Captian Falcon's alleged lack of versatility.

I know MK's moves and hit properties quite well. M2K could still kick my ***.
Ok, his PI and Reaction is better than yours, you train and practice and learn and you will become equivalent to his and perhaps exceed his.

dougal

Smash Rookie
Lol my first thoughts after 4 months of having the game is for Meta Knight to be bottom tier and Cptn Falcon to be high. But i dont care cos i use toon link, pikachu and ike

popsofctown

Smash Champion
What happened to the official brawl tier discussion? Did the Meta Knight ban thread swallow it both metaphorically and in reality?

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
I'll add you now, and I'll have you know that I'm mainly available during the afternoon time of just about anyday, feel free to drop in, I'm always up for a challenge.
Okay, perhaps I'll see you on sometime.

Okay then, I'm neglecting it, by your definition only though.
What definition are you using in which you aren't neglecting it?

But these simple things can enhance anyone's game.
So how does that make Captain Falcon have equakl potential to everyone else? He has tools that players can use superior skill to win with, but everyone else has those same one plus additional (and better) ones.
Thus, CF < everyone else.

Not if you adjust your strategy to prevent that from happening. Anything outside of a stagger period with too little time to tech is avoidable, as long as you take the action to make the result. Keep in mind that this here emphasizes a players input and not some one track strategy based on the character given.
In this case, its not a matter of how good one is with Ike, but how good one is in general.
*Sigh* We're talking about players of equal skill. That means as much as you make the hypothetical Ike player improve at covering his weaknesses (for example, using spacing to get around his slow speed) the Ike's opponent will get equally more skilled at abusing those weaknesses. A good Ike can minimize his slow speed disadvantage with good spacing. A good opponent will be able to bring that speed weakness back through equally good spacing and timing.

That is only if you predict where I release it, I can release it anywhere over the ledge or there at the ledge, or even slightly below it, which would still have Ike grab the ledge. Plus, what if you mis-time it? Failure to complete your plan may result in heavy santions that can tilt the match against your favor. You have to think about these things.
You don't even have to predict the QD, you can just react to it. Fall at the same level as him and air dodge when you see the QD released. If you drop to the level of the edge, I know for sure you're going to grab the edge and can just edgehog you.

Also, keep in mind, even if I get hit by QD off the stage, you still fall to your death and die.

So you're saying that equally skilled players can't predict each other, at all. Keep in mind that in my latter senario, the C F player could not predict the MK player's plan, so took a safer approach. If one is totally predictable, that wouldn't make them equal players, thats why I included that. I also did that to explain that predictions can go wrong, how Meta Knights player failed at doing so, if he did, then the down smash would have hit..
Not to mention that being predictable does not always mean being avoidable.
For instance if an Ike player were to do a down throw on you with a low precentage, you can predict that the player will follow up with an Aether. You can try to DI all you want, but it will most likely hit either way.
I never said equally skilled players can't predict eachother. Let's have two equally skilled MKs play eachother. Both will attempt to predict the other and will successfully do so part of the time.

Now, let's make one play CF, who telegraphs his move much more than MK does (and doesn't have the same potential for mindgames (like baiting airdodges without risk)). Won't the MK who is equally skilled with the CF be able to predict the CF much more? CF will occasionally predict the MK and land a dsmash. However, the MK will outspace/dodge/shield the dsmash far more often and land a fair or dsmash of his own. It's a lot easier to see CF's smashes coming than it is to see MK's dsmash coming.

Yes you can, some moves are not too good, because at some point or another you are too vulnerable. That counts as a disadvantage.
The tornado and SL, as a whole, are still amazing moves. Thus, neither move can be considered a disadvantage for MK.

This alone contradicts your say that it's more of a result than the measure of the strength of the character.

2. Instead of measuring match outcomes, tiers are more a measurement of potential of characters against the rest of the cast in a competitive, 1v1 tournament environment. It shows general strength of a character's abilities in a specific tournament environment.
I'm sorry, what?

These trends can pretty much be how many people play a certain character and how well they play them.
Hmm, didn't I say that?
I think I did. :p
And, you know what? I think something else was said about the list that supports my arguement, what was it?

There we go, see, this is my entire argument, that one sentence.
I was just explaining how and why.
What do you think the tier list is, then?
It's not just an outright ranking of match-ups. DDD wouldn't be where he was if that was the case.
Instead, it's a ranking of characters potential in tournament environments. That doesn't mean that MK is at the top because the most people play him. It means a combination of MK being the current best and having the tournament results to back that up.

Try learning Captian Falcon, then afterwards relying on your personal skill to come out on top, in contrast in believing that you are limited by Captian Falcon's alleged lack of versatility.
I've taken a look at CF. I play him as an alt for fun (he's too manly to ignore). He's bad.

Ok, his PI and Reaction is better than yours, you train and practice and learn and you will become equivalent to his and perhaps exceed his.
There aren't nearly enough hours in the day to ever achieve that, especially when I've got college apps to take care of. >_<

Grimwolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grimwolff
Me and my friends never played MK and all thought he was complete trash. I've been trying to get the hang of him now after everyone claiming he is broken but my friend who plays Marth just completely eats me alive when I'm MK.

Sukai

Smash Champion
What definition are you using in which you aren't neglecting it?
By saying that it doesn't exist. That would be neglecting it.
So me saying that weaknesses cannot be exploited because a good player prevents it so, is not neglecting it. I am well aware that a weakness is there, thats why I adjust to my strategy to keep it from being exploited. I am clearly acknowledging the weakness by trying to keep it from being abused.
That's not neglecting it, but you're saying it is. I can't bring up a word for it, but if I could, "neglect" would not be on the list.

So how does that make Captain Falcon have equakl potential to everyone else? He has tools that players can use superior skill to win with, but everyone else has those same one plus additional (and better) ones.
Thus, CF < everyone else.
I never said that he had equal potential, point out where I said that please.
I said that these simple things can increase any character's potential, not it balances them out.
Lets use numbers as an example.
Captial Falcon: Potential--13
Sonic: Potential--20
Meta Knight: Potential--70
Now then, lets put in the fundamentals, which would increase all character's potential by, I don't know, 10 or something.
Captial Falcon: Potential--13+10=23
Sonic: Potential--20+10=30
Meta Knight: Potential--70+10=80
This is what I was saying, not;
Captial Falcon: Potential--13+x=(13+x)
Sonic: Potential--20+x=(20+x)
Meta Knight: Potential--70+x=(70+x)
That would put them in a unknown amount of potential, essentially equal, I'm not saying that.
Now then, after all this you still rely on character traits to determine outcomes.
Yes, CF < everyone else.
How about Good Player who just happens to use CF >(or equal to) everyone else.

*Sigh* We're talking about players of equal skill. That means as much as you make the hypothetical Ike player improve at covering his weaknesses (for example, using spacing to get around his slow speed) the Ike's opponent will get equally more skilled at abusing those weaknesses. A good Ike can minimize his slow speed disadvantage with good spacing. A good opponent will be able to bring that speed weakness back through equally good spacing and timing.
No, a better opponent would.
Now I noticed you are acknowledging spacing here.
Spacing is a more descriptive version of Circumstance, PI and Reaction.
Here, strengths and weaknesses don't matter as much as they normally would, because the general outcome is determined by the player's skill.
Now what you're saying is that a (much) better player can take down a pro Meta Knight if he was Ike. Does this mean that if the better player chose Meta Knight, even after never touching him at all, he can own the other player, who have dedicated all his training into Meta Knight?

I'm not saying skill is everything, because you have to learn the character first, before learning to player properly, but after you learn the character, it's all chalked up to skill from there.
So skill is most of it, like 75 percent of it. It doens't take long to grasp a character.

You don't even have to predict the QD, you can just react to it. Fall at the same level as him and air dodge when you see the QD released. If you drop to the level of the edge, I know for sure you're going to grab the edge and can just edgehog you.
That takes prediction. You have to know when he'll release it to react to it, or else your timing may be wrong, plus Ike moves to an almost straight line when releasing a good charged Quick Dash, falling at the same rate won't fix the problem, because Ike will stop falling and move horizontally, right over your head, while you waste a moment to counter air dodging. And again, timing, if not prediction, is essential if that plan is to work.
Also, keep in mind, even if I get hit by QD off the stage, you still fall to your death and die.
True, but you will launch upwards to the stars and die, your goal (should be) is to stay alive and take your opponent down. Even if we both had one stock left, depending on how high up I am when I release it, you may die before I do.

I never said equally skilled players can't predict eachother. Let's have two equally skilled MKs play eachother. Both will attempt to predict the other and will successfully do so part of the time.

Now, let's make one play CF, who telegraphs his move much more than MK does (and doesn't have the same potential for mindgames (like baiting airdodges without risk)). Won't the MK who is equally skilled with the CF be able to predict the CF much more? CF will occasionally predict the MK and land a dsmash. However, the MK will outspace/dodge/shield the dsmash far more often and land a fair or dsmash of his own. It's a lot easier to see CF's smashes coming than it is to see MK's dsmash coming.
This is half true, again we are talking about equally skilled players.
Meta Knight is very predictable, I should know, I fight him alot against better players than I.
And Captian Falcon may be predictable as well, but in that, he can space, dodge, shield, moves as well, plus he can launch his own. You don't need smash attacks to win, so the CF player can adjust his game to make use of his other moves and launch a smash when it's a sure thing.
Again, predictable does not always mean avoidable.
And avoiding it is all up to the SKILL OF THE PLAYER.

The tornado and SL, as a whole, are still amazing moves. Thus, neither move can be considered a disadvantage for MK.
What if they were to miss? And Meta Knight enters hapless mode until he hits the ground?
I'm not directly talking about the move itself, but the effect the move produces on the character using it.
Take Ike's Quick Dash, like you mentioned above, if one was to air dodge in fron of it, Ike will be forced to plummet to his doom, thus preventing from be a good recovery.
Thats a disadvantage.
If Meta Knight were to do Mach Tornado and miss, he will fall, unable to do anything and gets the up smash of a lifetime.
Thats a disadvantage.

I'm sorry, what?
Ah, you must have forgotten what you said in your last post. Allow me to remind you.
You said this,
M3D said the exact opposite.
You say, its not character measure, its result.
M3D say, its not result, its character measure.
Thats what I said.:p

What do you think the tier list is, then?
It's not just an outright ranking of match-ups. DDD wouldn't be where he was if that was the case.
Need I quote again?

It shows general strength of a character's abilities in a specific tournament environment.
That sounds like it's based on outsomes to me.
Instead, it's a ranking of characters potential in tournament environments. That doesn't mean that MK is at the top because the most people play him. It means a combination of MK being the current best and having the tournament results to back that up.

I said that most people play him helps him make top tier.
But in order to know the potential, you must play the character, right?
So it is a ranking of outcomes.

Alas, you still ignore my main point.
The Tier list show potential of the charcater, not the potential of the player.
I'm focusing on the potential of the player, because a good enough player can win regardless of the character chosen.

My point, in a way, supports the tier list, why can't you see this.
I'm not saying it's bs, and if I am? So what, it's my opinion!

My whole spin on the list is that I DON'T CARE FOR IT, because it ignores the "learn to player" half of the battle. It, like you, focuses on character traits to determine general out comes at equal play level.
I focus on player skill that determines general outcomes period. If two equal players went at it, then it's anyones game, thats what I'm saying.
In the process of learning to player (or "learning to be a better player" for your grammar obsessed sake{no offense}) you automatically learn to cover or minimize a weakness, it doesn't take any more effort to do that than to muster up a kill.

I've taken a look at CF. I play him as an alt for fun (he's too manly to ignore). He's bad.
Say that to a guy who plays him seriously.

There aren't nearly enough hours in the day to ever achieve that, especially when I've got college apps to take care of. >_<
Sucks for you.
I'm in college, but I still find enough time to train in smash.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I don't want to get into this, because it's already way too heated. I will say however "learn to player" isn't just grammatically incorrect, it makes no sense.

Epic peanut gallery post right there.

Sukai

Smash Champion
I don't want to get into this, because it's already way too heated. I will say however "learn to player" isn't just grammatically incorrect, it makes no sense.

Epic peanut gallery post right there.
Well, I'm not the first to say the term.
If you read lower, you get a good description of the term.
But I guess it all comes down to opinion.
Use what phrase you like, but Learn to player sums it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom