• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official SBR Brawl Tier List v1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
DDD's CG's/infiniates and bair alone make him top tier.
Yes, that does give him the upper hand in so many matchups.

But it's the small, fast characters that have the potential to take him down. I've played against some DDD's with Sheik, ZSS, Kirby, G&W, Metaknight, and especially Diddy Kong. If you watch Gano play against some of Japan's top DDD's, you can see that Diddy might have a pretty clear advantage. I can see why DDD is top tier because of his grabs, but it may blind some to the fact that he has some terrible matchups in the small characters.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
Bob Dole thinks Bob Dole likes Captain Falcon. Therefore Bob Dole does not like this tier list because it makes Bob Dole unhappy as Bob Dole believes Captain Falcon deserves top tier.

Bob Dole.
Bob Dole said that Bob Dole mains Bob Dole. Bob Dole only mains top tier Bob Doles and Bob Dole is clearly top of Bob Dole tier.

Bob Dole

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Yes, that does give him the upper hand in so many matchups.

But it's the small, fast characters that have the potential to take him down. I've played against some DDD's with Sheik, ZSS, Kirby, G&W, Metaknight, and especially Diddy Kong. If you watch Gano play against some of Japan's top DDD's, you can see that Diddy might have a pretty clear advantage. I can see why DDD is top tier because of his grabs, but it may blind some to the fact that he has some terrible matchups in the small characters.
I see some of what you're trying to depict. When Dedede, I have a tough time dealing with characters with quick airials that are usually used to keep characters off balance (Kirby's dair, squirtle and diddy's fair, ect.). A reason Dedede is so high is that he has strong counters to specific characters, if he doesn't have a strong counter against set character, the match-up would almost be even, sometimes against Dedede.

In my list (in sig), I have Dedede below G&W and Falco because Dedede strongly counters a lot of characters with d-grab and bair, but nimble, airial-based characters can deal some damage on him.

i c fox rising really soon myself
Please use proper grammar, others will take you seriously.

Also, double posters deserve to die.
*Insert CD-i Ganon pic here*
YOU MUST DIE!!!!!

Harsh are we?
I find this a little iron- *gets throat slashed by a flame war ninja*

We all love you, Mr. Coreygames...

M@v

Subarashii!
I see the opposite really :ohwell:
I see fox going up. Hes really good vs snake and holds his own against MK. Tornado is only real issue with mk to fox, and fox can di out of it early. G&W and falco are fox's only hard top tier matchups.

DDD cant CG fox, and fox can combo him like a madman. But DDD makes it near impossible for fox to get close.

Basically, fox does overall decent vs the top tiers, which will likely be the most popular tourney characters. So if more people play fox, he should be able to start placing decently.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I see fox going up. Hes really good vs snake and holds his own against MK. Tornado is only real issue with mk to fox, and fox can di out of it early. G&W and falco are fox's only hard top tier matchups.

DDD cant CG fox, and fox can combo him like a madman. But DDD makes it near impossible for fox to get close.

Basically, fox does overall decent vs the top tiers, which will likely be the most popular tourney characters. So if more people play fox, he should be able to start placing decently.
problem is... from what I can see... fox is already being used very well... I just question how much better he can be used... while other charcters around him in the tier list (like zelda and toonie) ar barely played... it's not that fox CAN'T improve.... just that others around him have more potential...

Toonie, for example, is good against snake and decent against MK from all I've heard.

Zelda goes even against MK and Snake, is AMAZING against DDD, is good against falco and ROB... hell her only problems up there are marth and G&W... and yet look at her position.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Actually zelda is mid-tier because she's such a direct and one dimensional character. If she had a few more tricks up her sleeve she'd be higher. It's only the pure awesomeness of some of her moves (downsmash/tilt) that has her mid instead of low.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Dedede, Snake, Bowser (or maybe I am just biased against the potential of heavy characters.)
I have the opposite view.

As time goes on, people will learn to escape more and more combos and the game will come down to trading hits. Heavy characters have the weight to take a lot of hits and return stronger blows.

I think MK and GW will slightly shift down because of this.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Actually zelda is mid-tier because she's such a direct and one dimensional character. If she had a few more tricks up her sleeve she'd be higher. It's only the pure awesomeness of some of her moves (downsmash/tilt) that has her mid instead of low.
(see down+B)

blu_7

Smash Rookie
so this must be the "real" tier list. I am personally satisfied with this placement( high or low). I won't be surprised if Sonic moves up to the top 3 middle in version 2.0 or later.

BTW if a character is placed low in a tier, does that mean that its potential was not as exploited this time around?

just wonderin ^_^

Kadet4

Smash Cadet
Nice tier list. I wish Toon Link were a bit higher, but I agree with this for the most part.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Zelda and sheik are two different characters. They're listed as two different characters and have always been considered such by the... non-scrubs. As soon as you change we're analyzing sheik not zelda.
yeah... not in brawl... I thought this at first too... but they really CAN be used AND WELL in tandem... and if you don't accept that... then there's no use talking any longer

Takumaru

Smash Lord
dude... I'm just explaining why zelda is where she is on the tier list. Sheik has nothing to do with that placement. Yeah sure as a whole you cover some weaknesses but the two are still different characters on the tier list. Please don't drag this argument into this topic, Zelda and sheik vs Zelda/sheik is a different discussion for a different topic.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
dude... I'm just explaining why zelda is where she is on the tier list. Sheik has nothing to do with that placement. Yeah sure as a whole you cover some weaknesses but the two are still different characters on the tier list. Please don't drag this argument into this topic, Zelda and sheik vs Zelda/sheik is a different discussion for a different topic.
yes
I agree with this.... Zelda/Shiek SHOULD be a char on the list

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
yes
I agree with this.... Zelda/Shiek SHOULD be a char on the list
There completely different! There both different characters and unlike Pokemon trainer you aren't forced to switch. You can play sheik and not play Zelda but it's almost impossible to only play 1 of PT's Pokemon. Therefore they should be seperate.

exidid

Smash Journeyman
There should be three characters for Zelda/Sheik: Zelda, Sheik and Zelda/Sheik.

I thought this was common knowledge.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
There completely different! There both different characters and unlike Pokemon trainer you aren't forced to switch. You can play sheik and not play Zelda but it's almost impossible to only play 1 of PT's Pokemon. Therefore they should be seperate.
But you can also choose to use both of them if you want. Which is some grounds to add a Zelda/Sheik combination to the list.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Who here actually use Zelda/Sheik instead of Zelda OR Sheik though...

I....do? Alot of times I build up damage with Sheik, and then change to Zelda to land some easy kill moves. Plus, it is a nice change of tactics that can avoid some bad matchups.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
Okay, you got me there... :p
@hyperknee: Alright, so I don't know much about how tier lists work, but I don't care because they don't apply to me. I do know this: there are counters for every character, including Meta Knight. I'm going to stop here about that because I don't want to start a flame war about Brawl and Melee or anything like that.
that actually makes sense, they don't apply to you cuz you're not at a high/professional level of play (i mean no offense, i'm just stating facts). if your friends or whoever you play with don't know how to use meta right, you can own them. simple logic

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Who here actually use Zelda/Sheik instead of Zelda OR Sheik though...
a lot of us.... more shiek mainers than zelda mainers have switched... but a LOT of us dual main... and, also... aren't n00bs <_< (@ other poster)

goateeguy

Smash Ace
Hay, Marth is like Byakuya Kuchiki from Bleach and is very sexy. XD

And Ike is like.... Ichigo Kurosaki. :p
i'm sorry, i do believe you've just used the word 'marth' and the word 'sexy' in the same sentence. you are under violation of the laws of common sense and are hearby ordered to bludgeon yourself repeatedly about the head rapidly and with force.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
i'm sorry, i do believe you've just used the word 'marth' and the word 'sexy' in the same sentence. you are under violation of the laws of common sense and are hearby ordered to bludgeon yourself repeatedly about the head rapidly and with force.
but marth is the prettiest girl in brawl :ohwell:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sheik/Zelda IS a VERY viable option. To say otherwise is ignorant. Currently, sheik/zelda users are doing better in tourneys than they do alone. It's a fact. There's absolutely NO reason to separate them.

This is totally different than melee. Zelda sucks and sheik is great. There's no reason to use zelda over sheik because sheik can both rack and kill well. In brawl, sheik is much better than zelda at racking damage, and zelda is much better at killing. When you separate them, you're just taking away sheik's best kill move, or Zelda's racking. You might as well make a tier list like this:
MK
Snake
DDD
GaW
Falco
Rob

High
Falco without upsmash
Snake without ftilt
Marth

like 2 people and random scrubs that don't know what the SBR is.
Several smart players, a couple including Ankoku and RyokoYaksa, use sheik/zelda.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Sheik/Zelda IS a VERY viable option. To say otherwise is ignorant. Currently, sheik/zelda users are doing better in tourneys than they do alone. It's a fact. There's absolutely NO reason to separate them.

This is totally different than melee. Zelda sucks and sheik is great. There's no reason to use zelda over sheik because sheik can both rack and kill well. In brawl, sheik is much better than zelda at racking damage, and zelda is much better at killing. When you separate them, you're just taking away sheik's best kill move, or Zelda's racking. You might as well make a tier list like this:
MK
Snake
DDD
GaW
Falco
Rob

High
Falco without upsmash
Snake without ftilt
Marth

Several smart players, a couple including Ankoku and RyokoYaksa, use sheik/zelda.
more like
MK.... MK without sword
Snake.... Snake without tilts
DDD.... DDD without MK clearing out his bad matchups <_<
GaW.... GaW without aerials
Falco.... Falco w/o chaingrab
Rob... ROB w/o recovery
etc...

you get it

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Why vids? Go out and watch the matches IRL, unless you don't have any SheikZelda users in your area.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Vids please? Because I never see Sheik/Zelda.

Also, "Snake without ftilt" and "Falco without U-Smash" is a stupid comparison.
If you've never seen a dual sheik/zelda user, then you've no room to say anything. My comparison was very accurate.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
r u trying to tell me olimar is the eighteenth best character in the game? I mean thats just ridiculous. The fact that olimar placed in the top 10 in tournament rankings for a long period of time alone gives him credibility. Olimar has better matchups with top tiers than almost anyother character. Are people in the backroom blind? I could see you placing olimar at the bottom of high tier but middle tier.... NO, im sorry yall are just wrong. What this tells me is this list is rushed and heavily opinionated with little or no knowledge of the actual metagame.

Olimar is one of the best characters in the game, believe it.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
If you've never seen a dual sheik/zelda user, then you've no room to say anything. My comparison was very accurate.
indeed... shiek is FRIGHTENINGLY efficient at wracking up damage... so shiek doesn't have much trouble getting an enemy to about 100% damage..... then you switch to zelda... who has nothing but beffy attacks... and they will ALL be COMPLETELY fresh.... she has moves that are effective at close trange (Dsmash and Nayru's) and then can devestate at the extent of her range with everything else.... and some of her atttacks can even kill bowser in double digit damage O.O

it is a GREAT combination.... plus they have a few transformation tricks which make transitioning rather easy.

seriously... Zelda/Shiek has some of the most potential in the game

Mush head

Smash Cadet
that actually makes sense, they don't apply to you cuz you're not at a high/professional level of play (i mean no offense, i'm just stating facts). if your friends or whoever you play with don't know how to use meta right, you can own them. simple logic
Ouch... That was brutal honesty lol (it's okay.)... Actually, that's not why I said that. I meant that it doesn't apply to me because tier lists this time around don't work as well as in previous Smash games. (I'm not saying that they don't exist.) My friends are really good at Brawl and that's not an overstatement. As for me, I have a professional mindset in Brawl. Still, thanks for your opinion. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom