• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The *Official* Pittsburgh Melee Weeklies Thread of the LoL WoW Love

xyt

Smash Lord
good games today guys!
sheesh it's become so hard to get a win around here = /
y'all are gettin good! hehe
see everyone next friday!!
wish the few of us that are goin luck XD hehe
pce!

R0H + COL

Smash Rookie
Smash was good yesterday, I always learn something new from watching, and with my whole freshman year ahead of me, I should be able to significantly improve.

Good Luck in Lancaster, and have fun with the 5 hour drive haha

A-Laon

Smash Master
Doesn't sound like too great of an event in the end, having so many players drop out, MMs hardly go down, and the whole apparent heat issue (surely not as bad as Pound?).

pockyD

Smash Legend
no it wasn't really that great

but it was pretty fun and almost all the relevant people were there so i don't really regret it

pockyD

Smash Legend
the people i missed that i wanted to see there were renth and (on a much lesser scale) mow

maybe reik for some people but i played him moderately recently anyway so didn't care that much

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
Edit: Should I make this its own thread with a poll or not?

Anyone interested in the idea of trying to put together a Biweekly Tournament somewhere? I was personally thinking Morewood would be pretty nice once the weather chilled out if that wouldn't be an issue. The way it looked the last time we were there we could fit 4 TVs, which is what we had at the old Nitespot. Or if anyone else as any better ideas for somewhere to hold it that'd be great.

Here are some reasons I would like to address why it would be a good idea to try and put a biweekly together.

1) It gives good preparations for more serious tournaments. Friendlies are great and all, but I personally (and I know this applies to many other players) feel I play much better under tournament pressure (I believe Rob, Taki, and Alan can contest for that if you don't believe me). On the opposite side of this I know just as many players play worse under the tournament pressure and this would be a good way for them to work on that. The main idea of this point is that tournaments bring out that seriousness and competitiveness that friendlies lack, whether "you" (vague) want to admit it or not. So a biweekly would help those that don't play well under pressure learn to cope with it and play better and help those of us who play better under pressure play everyone more seriously and see how we size up.

2) Biweeklies provide excellent and cheap tournament experience. This is more geared towards those of us who don't get out to many tournaments, if any at all. It also works in favor of the tourney vets too though for the same reasons. Biweeklies would help us in prove on Set play, which is largely different from friendly play. More particularly stage banning, level counter picks, and character counter picks which can make or break a set. So obviously this would be a good thing to practice, even if you are particularly good at the aforementioned aspects of the game it never hurts to try new ideas or continue to perfect those aspects, or even share your knowledge with other players. I mean when else are you going to be able to finish a set, turn to the player next to you and discuss why you or he lost the set. Which brings me to my next point...

3) Community. We already have a great thing going with our friendly weeklies, and I know that I go into Fridays with the hopes of getting better and getting tips from all the people better than me or even the people on my level or below me, everyone has some type of knowledge to offer as far as I'm concerned. I am going to use an example from this past Friday of something I saw that pertains to this point and that will help me relate it to the idea of a biweekly. I noticed when doubles got started up on the one TV and Sheik and Tim sat together to practice for the tournament that Tim was providing a lot of tips about doubles play to Sheik. About communication, teamwork, and many other things, because they were getting prepared to possibly play as a team in a tournament situation. Now flash back to the point at hand, imagine that we will be in a tournament situation every other week and imagine the amount of tournament knowledge that will not only be gained from playing in these tournaments but also passed around. I felt that the amount of tips and ideas floating around this past Friday was more than usual because some people were prepping for a tournament. The idea here is that people tend to give more advice when they feel the advice is more critical and important to be noted as soon as possible. As a community these biweeklies could help us grow closer and help us to be more willing to share the knowledge we have of this game.

4) The next point I would like to make is in concerns to the money involved. I have researched a little by looking at some of the other biweekly threads floating around to get an idea what it is all about before I made this post, and in particular I was looking at the money in many of these threads and the correlation it towards attendance. What seems to be the most average price is $5 for singles $10 for doubles ($5 a teammate). Now that is a decent amount of money for us college kids and also those of us that don't have jobs, but it is still not the $15 plus gas money us Pittsburghers are forced to pay to attend a decent tournament. Alright so we have our little $5 entry fee and we get our roughly 20 people to attend thats $70/$20/$10 payout. Nothing special but its nice for just a local tournament. Heres where it can get interesting though. "You" (vague) might be saying, "Whats the fun/point in playing the same exact people every other week for $5", I say to that, we never had anyone from anywhere else come to our weeklies because there was little draw. For people in Ohio what was the point of them driving 2+ hours to play us when there was nothing in it for them, but to play people from Pittsburgh that they would get to play if they just hosted a tourney on their home turf. The same thing goes for other people in the area. We now could possibly have something to entice other players to come. Furthermore maybe like Chu's Biweekly we could do special weeks that the entry fee is increased to entice players from further out to come and play.

I think that covers all the points I wanted to make, if I forgot some I'll just add them in later. This is just a suggestion that I would like everyone to at least consider and please discuss. We as community of smashers are getting better and we are getting recognition for it, so this idea is more possible than ever, people are going to want to come play some of the best in PA the idea of a tournament and money just make it more enticing to come play us. I just feel if the opportunity is out there why shouldn't we take advantage of it. I of course would be more than happy to do my best to make this work and to try and get it in motion if everyone is in favor of it.

So yeah, discuss, please share your views, its very important that we hear everyone out on this. If no one or very few like the idea then we can scrap it we shouldn't ruin a good thing if thats the way everyone feels and we do have a good thing going already. I just wanted to present the idea and put it out there for discussion.

Thanks for reading my post and hearing me out, feel free to tear it apart if you'd like, you're not going to hurt my feelings or get me mad, I think everyone of you guys are awesome people and I wouldn't trade our community of smashers for any other ones (ok maybe the midwest, but they have Drephiano son) and people voicing their opinions and arguments even if against mine won't effect my opinion of you.

Peace.

Edit: Should I make this its own thread with a poll or not?

pockyD

Smash Legend
yes we've had this idea before and it flopped because of the inability to find a good place to hold it

we decided that involving money at the nitespot was a very bad idea, and (though this wasn't discussed back then) morewood really just can't be a set location because we are unable to reserve the room and it is commonly used for all sorts of stupid things, and unlike the nitespot, even one other person using the room puts it pretty much off limits for smash

Naka tried to run a tournament at the YMCA and it was actually pretty fun IMO, but we can't support low-money local tournaments there because there is a significant venue fee type thing

i could maybe actually hold events at my house if people show interest and at least a few bring TVs, but boo hoo, transportation, etc

Nakamaru

Smash Master
My house is just a few blocks away from the YMCA. If people bring enough TVs and my parents dont mind the noise. I'd have no problem holding some tournaments here. Although its a little tight on space, but its not that much of an issue. If we keep them smallish, like the nitespot crew. I could see it. Also the transportation to my house is another issue because i know it took pocky a good hour extra each way.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
My house is just a few blocks away from the YMCA. If people bring enough TVs and my parents dont mind the noise. I'd have no problem holding some tournaments here. Although its a little tight on space, but its not that much of an issue. If we keep them smallish, like the nitespot crew. I could see it. Also the transportation to my house is another issue because i know it took pocky a good hour extra each way.
It's not just for Pocky, all of us from Pittsburgh spent that same hour doing it. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I think it would need to be a more centralized Pittsburgh location, because that's where the smash base is.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
if ohio has biweeklies relatively close then plz LINK ME( i have a hard time finding threads i need) to it(relatively being like 2hr drive give or take 30min).

given that there is some biweekly in ohio or like a monthly that goes on in ohio, I would suggest to go out there bring them this very idea and immedately plan something in alternation with their biweeklies. you know get direct opinions form ppl etc because anyone can say anything online >_>.

this way u show attendence to their tourney and they'll be more likely to return the favor. We need to establish the ohio guys b4 anything imo. they come, then others come. like im not talking omg we need dope vidjo-ish but just OOSers in general. that way we'll have ohio dudes then the velocities and the reiks may come here for stuffz.

as for getting a place to play......thats tough, like i could try and apply to become a club/organiztion to get a place here @ pitt with like funds and stuff but i dont know how long that takes. i have alot of time on my hands tomm so maybe i'll go see if its worth it.

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
Ohio has a tournament roughly every month. I don't think it is planned to be that way, but it just sorta happens. The next Ohio tournament is the 22nd and I know Rob and I talked about going, so we could always talk to some of the Ohio guys that like us Pittsburghers and see if they would show interest in coming to some Pittsburgh tournaments. I think Rob has been to something like 5 or 6 Ohio tournaments so we have already put ourselves out there for them, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind coming here if we asked them to, its just we never had anything put together recently.

i could maybe actually hold events at my house if people show interest and at least a few bring TVs, but boo hoo, transportation, etc
Would it really be possible for us to hold this at your house because that'd be the best way to do it. Where exactly do you live in proximity to CMU? If we could hold them at your house I think it would be better to consider Saturdays as a better day. I know personally Rob and I could both drive on Saturdays and thus be able to help get people together and even maybe bring a TV or 2.

I think we should look more into having them at Pocky's house if it is indeed ok to do that. We could even just hold a tournament once a month like the Ohio guys kinda do, which I'd like to mention most of the time are held at people's houses.

Na!l

Smash Journeyman
i'd be all for it. i get nervous at tourneys, so id like to work on that. I have no idea where tho, kuz im nowhere near u guys, ud be better at finding that out

A-Laon

Smash Master
Personally, I don't think it would be a terrible idea to reconsider Duquesne's potential for such small cash tournies. I was originally an opponent of the idea during the discussion in the past, but quite frankly, I think that managing to overcome any potential issues with passing a few fives around at Duquesne would be a more desirable route, especially over the long-term, than trying to relocate to a spot we can't even determine yet, supplying it with complete set-ups every time, working within any potential time or space restrictions, and dealing with the ever-reoccuring transportation problems.

EDIT: We should also have GH tournies afterwards: $10 a person, 1st takes all.

ReadySetGo

Smash Ace
first takes all is a little much. I think we should still split it 1st-3rd
He was talking about Guitar Hero if you didn't notice, Alan is a beast at Guitar Hero and is just trying to steal our money.

Personally, I don't think it would be a terrible idea to reconsider Duquesne's potential for such small cash tournies. I was originally an opponent of the idea during the discussion in the past, but quite frankly, I think that managing to overcome any potential issues with passing a few fives around at Duquesne would be a more desirable route, especially over the long-term, than trying to relocate to a spot we can't even determine yet, supplying it with complete set-ups every time, working within any potential time or space restrictions, and dealing with the ever-reoccuring transportation problems.
This actually isn't to bad of an idea, I mean honestly the people working at the Nitespot are students after all and probably couldn't care less. The thing is tough even if we get all 4 TVs it would still take a rather long time to play out the tournament, I would feel more comfortable if we could set it up at someone's house, but if we can't we should try and work with what we got.

A-Laon

Smash Master
For the record:

With Unreal Tournament 3's 360 version getting royally shafted, I've decided to fork out the cash for a system upgrade so I can support the PC version releasing this November and officially come out of retirement. Depending on how it all goes, these next few months will possibly be the last of my smashing.

Matt -- Join me. Play Gears too. :chuckle:

Na!l

Smash Journeyman
I will smash 4 life with u rob. But im also getting Halo 3, and UT3, and I'm kinda lost in bioshock right now.

Top Bottom