• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Operating System thread

SmashChamp

Smash Cadet
Okay taking a cue from my good friend Sage; The Official Operative System thread is about, well, you guessed it everything to do with operating systems; Not particularly targetting solely windows hell can be anything.

*Have a question about an Operating System or need something a bit more specific ask in here.

Though, I do confess not to posses a very strong grasp on every operating system (old or present) out there and do hope fellow smash members wouldn't mind helping out with whatever request. With that said...Welcome!

Well still looking for more people to come lend a hand so please join.

Friendly O.S. helpers:
GOTM
Sensai
snoblo
Eight Sage
AltF4(Our champion & most excellent friend, yes, local moderator)

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
I finally got rid of Windows completely on my desktop computer last month, and installed Ubuntu Gutsy, and I have to admit, i'm very glad i chose it =)

Though there's still a small problem that I have, (if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it alot!).
Sometimes, when i'm away from the computer, and then come back, I find my internet is disconnected for some reason. I use a linksys wireless adapter (but i don't think that's the problem). The fix takes just a few seconds, going to System->Network and uncheck and recheck the box next to Wireless connection, but it is a slight annoyance. =[

Otherwise, I've actually been impressed with the hardware recognization by it. From my previous experiences with Linux distros, hardware recognization has always been a big issue, but Ubuntu Gutsy recognized my printer instantly (BIG SURPRISE! =D), and my external hard drive, which windows xp previously had trouble recognizing (like more than half the time, it wouldn't recognize it and I would have to keep on rebooting until one time it finally sees it!), and i'm still trying to figure out why my laptop with windows xp can't recognize it at all...

enough digressions

anyway, this thread is win =)

SmashChamp

Smash Cadet
@snoblo: I thank you for the kind words.
1)What type of computer do you have, year and model?

2)Linksys huh, had that similiar experience on my laptop; wouldn't pick up WIFI nor stay connected for a period of time. I don't know if u have compatibility issues going on here...curious, have u tried updating the driver(s)?

3)Linux isn't my area of expertise; Someone, please help give snoblo the answers he/she seeks. Thanks in advace!

vista looks pretty...thats about it

its incompatible with most software, its real buggy and their showing no signs of a service pack anytime soon.

<3 ubuntu
I concur, currently undergoing the same senario of poor instability with vista. Unbutu, no one really did help explaining how to run, operate, execute, the dang thing?? Grr!

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
To run, operate, execute the dang thing (a.k.a. Ubuntu)
1. Go to the www.ubuntu.com and download the iso
2. Burn iso on CD
3. Restart your computer (make sure in your BIOS your cd-rom drive is set a higher priority than your hard drive)
4. Install (following the prompts). I was quite surprised that the installation for me took like 15 minutes, as opposed to the almost-one-hour for Windows xp.
5. You're done. Congratulations!

Sensai

Smash Master
/agrees with Eight Sage.

It's hard to disagree with free freedom (a la Ubuntu). It's my main OS, although I dual boot with Vista (gross) for games.

Vista is prettier then XP, but you can achieve MUCH more interesting things with even the most rudimentary of Linux distros for half the computer resources.

And sign me up to help.

Sensai

Smash Master
Eight Sage: What are you going to be using it for? Personal use or business stuff?

My money is in the Vista Home Premium (what I have) if it's for personal. The only real reason to get Ultimate would be to get Premium AND business...which isn't all that necessary if you don't want Business.

Do you use Remote Desktop a bunch?

(Also: do you need Vista? If you're going to go with a Windows OS, why not XP?)

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
I'm using XP right now, I'm not planning on changing it for now. But I'm going to buy a new PC with a lot of RAM, HDD, etc. and I thought it was a good idea to install Vista on it.

I'm not sure about the remote desktop thing, but I guess I'll do it some day when I have more than one good PC on my house, because now they're the slowest :p

I thought Ultimate was the choice, but it's sooo expensive, so my guess is I'll use Home (my needs are Internet, programming, play games a little, etc.) So my doubt will be to buy Home basic or premium, and 32 or 64 bits, I don't want to buy premium if I'm not gonna use some of his features.

Sensai how is Vista Home premium so far? do you program with it? if so, did you find problems on that?

Jammer

Smash Lord
Wow, Ubuntu is huge on these boards. I use Gutsy myself.

Vista is horrible, I'm told. It's won several "horrible tech product" awards for 2007.

But has anyone heard of Haiku? It's an open-source version of BeOS, if anyone knows what that is (I certainly wasn't around when it was big). It looks totally sweet, but it's still very early in development. I can't wait until they get a LiveCD so I can try out it's multi-threaded goodness.

I pride myself on having used Windows, Linux, Solaris, Macintosh, BSD, and BeOS. Several kinds of each, except for BeOS, which I tried for like an hour on a legacy computer and got bored. My favorite of all time is Ubuntu, which I think says a lot.

Yep, <3 Ubuntu. Also, Fedora, but not as much. Fedora 8's looking to be real hot, though.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
i used Ubuntu. i now use Leopard. i like Leopard but not as much as Ubuntu. i am going to get Ubuntu Cracking on my mac. i just got my mac region free. i was going to flash it but VLC does not ask for the region. i tried the gusty live CD but it did not boot Ubuntu. lol

Jammer

Smash Lord
Well, you're going to need to get the version of Ubuntu made specifically for PowerPC's, if that's the kind of computer you want to run it on (a Mac from like a year or more ago, I think).

Don't forget that, Gerudo.

Jammer

Smash Lord
No, I don't think anything's changed.

This is what confused me:

but i don't need the live CD. i know how to download and install it
How can you download and install it without the LiveCD?

When you download the iso image and burn it onto a CD, that CD then becomes a LiveCD. It's called a LiveCD because you can run the operating system without installing it, but you probably already knew that. Were you thinking that it's only called a LiveCD if you get it by mail or something?

Or maybe you're using the advanced CD, which is not a LiveCD--instead, it's just an install CD, like the type Microsoft uses for Windows. But I don't know why you'd want to use that one.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
i meant the LiveCD as in the one you order. it takes too long to order. i have two ordered ones which i pre-ordered when you could.

so. do you know why it did not boot into ubuntu?

Jammer

Smash Lord
Just so you know, a LiveCD means that you can boot the operating system without installing it or doing anything permanent to your computer. It has no relation to whether you burned it yourself or got it in the mail. I'm not sure by what you've said if you're aware of that.

But it should have booted. I would expect that it would have no trouble booting on an Apple computer, because the components should be well-supported. Do other Linux distros boot? You might want to try Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu--for me, that helped, even though it really shouldn't have.

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm using XP right now, I'm not planning on changing it for now. But I'm going to buy a new PC with a lot of RAM, HDD, etc. and I thought it was a good idea to install Vista on it.

I'm not sure about the remote desktop thing, but I guess I'll do it some day when I have more than one good PC on my house, because now they're the slowest :p

I thought Ultimate was the choice, but it's sooo expensive, so my guess is I'll use Home (my needs are Internet, programming, play games a little, etc.) So my doubt will be to buy Home basic or premium, and 32 or 64 bits, I don't want to buy premium if I'm not gonna use some of his features.

Sensai how is Vista Home premium so far? do you program with it? if so, did you find problems on that?
I go for 32 bits because I haven't honestly found the reason to switch to 64 yet...I mean, unless you need it. You know.

I don't mind it...I mean, it's Vista. It comes with a lot of stuff that I'll never need or use. It looks pretty...I mean, not Linux pretty, but it looks decent for a M$ OS. The problem is it takes up so much RAM and CPU...

And no, I don't program on it. Not much of a programmer. :-D

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
turn of aero to save some of your RAM. the start bar lags on computers that aren't powerful enough. vista is made for powerful machines. Keep that in mind.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Gerudo Warrior: But if you turn off Aero or any of the stuff that makes Vista Vista, then you're left with a (even more) shotty OS that has compatibility problems that rival some Linux distros.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
but a least you are saving some RAM. Oh vista is a screw up. my mates laptop has vista it was lagging a movie so we turned of Aero. What do you loose by turn it off. so you don't get full use out of it but at least you making it Operative.

Dark Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Neoshade
I used XP and Vista alot, and If you had the choice, pick XP over Vista. Ubuntu is also a great alternative (only used it a little bit). Vista takes alot of RAM to run, and uses alot more resources than XP. If you are able to get Vista SP1 (currently in Beta1 phase), the resource usage does drop significantly, so at least Micro$oft is working on it. Also, XP SP3 is coming soon I believe it is already in a release candidate phase.

Sensai

Smash Master
SP3 for XP is BY FAR better then SP1 for Vista...people are reporting 10% performance increase in XP whereas in Vista it does very little.

But, Dark Link's right....XP over Vista. I mean, if you're getting a new laptop and plan on keeping it for a while, I'd choose Vista (simply because it's where the market will _eventually_ be getting to)...but it'd be a sad decision.

...it WAS a sad decision.

Oh, I convinced my girlfriend to get a Mac instead of a Windows machine. Woohoo! It'll gimme something to fool around with (I know so very little about Mac machines).

Sensai

Smash Master
/agrees with snoblo

Especially Vista. I mean, XP is fine...but Vista is trouble.

I like the simplicity, sex appeal (yep, I said it), and the customer relation that Apple has with Macs more then I like the clutter, clunkiness and terrible 'do-it-yourself-attitude' MS has with its customers.

Sensai

Smash Master
****in'...

New pet peeve about Vista: Not owning permissions to anything. This is just ****in' stupid.

No, no, I know; other OSs have their versions of permissions...but they're always understandable. I mean, with Linux it's just a simple 'sudo' most of the time and you've got what you want. XP, you don't really have to worry about it unless you want to.

But in Vista...for ****'s sake, it's annoying. I'm trying to delete **** like Windows Calendar and all that ('cause when does someone use **** like that?), but I CAN'T. 'Cause I don't have permission to.

(I ended up finding a guide that helped me out if anyone else has a similar problem. Just ask, and I'll give it.)

Just wanted to *****...figured since this is closer to the 'I Hate Vista' thread then the OS Thread, I'd do it here.

Sensai

Smash Master
Oh, one MORE thing...

Why is it that my harddrive magically fills up as I use my computer. I understand caching files and all that ****...but really. Sometimes it's upwards of like, 2 gigs.

And my help from up there (the changing of security permissions and that ****) ended up only working for one thing, the others (Windows Journal, Windows Collaboration) are apparently 'important files,' with which I cannot change permissions.

Pfft. This is ****in' terrible. I tried to like you, Vista...tried to boot into you every once in a while...but NO. You would have none of it.

Top Bottom