• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Operating System thread

platnum

Smash Lord
you should google search (or search on the ubuntu forums) your wireless adapter. Most likely you won't have to do much to get it working (you just have to get the drivers, use ndiswrapper, etc)

good luck!
The driver isn't my problem.

When I try to connect it asks for the password, I type the password, I click connect, nothing happens, I try again, get the same result, try again, then the network icon in the taskbar disappears.

Can someone help?

Sensai

Smash Master
I assume you mean the password for the WEP key or something like that?

I had the same problem for a bit, but finally realized it was just me being dumb and not accurately telling the system what the encryption type was.

platnum

Smash Lord
I assume you mean the password for the WEP key or something like that?

I had the same problem for a bit, but finally realized it was just me being dumb and not accurately telling the system what the encryption type was.
Thats not it.

about every 30 seconds a message comes up saying "a passphrase or encryption key is required to acces the wireless network" so I input the encryption key, click connect, wait,do it again,etc.

Sensai

Smash Master
Haha...I just asked you to gimme a link to that exact thing in the Orange Box thread. So thanks for the link.

And yes, if this goes through, I will reformat my PC and go Linux all the way. Seriously. Quote me on it, but I'll do it.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
Thats not it.

about every 30 seconds a message comes up saying "a passphrase or encryption key is required to acces the wireless network" so I input the encryption key, click connect, wait,do it again,etc.
does it say it's the wrong password, or do you just connect and disconnect every 30 seconds?

SmashChamp

Smash Cadet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ifconfig

Sample ifconfig output

The following screen-dialog shows the result of displaying the current state of a single active interface on two machines, eth0 on a Linux-based system and ural0 on OpenBSD.
Code:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:0F:20:CF:8B:42
          inet addr:217.149.127.10  Bcast:217.149.127.63  Mask:255.255.255.192
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:2472694671 errors:1 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:44641779 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:1761467179 (1679.8 Mb)  TX bytes:2870928587 (2737.9 Mb)
          Interrupt:28

ural0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        lladdr 00:0d:0b:ed:84:fb
        media: IEEE802.11 DS2 mode 11b hostap (autoselect mode 11b hostap)
        ieee80211: nwid ARK chan 11 bssid 00:0d:0b:ed:84:fb  100dBm
        inet 172.30.50.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 172.30.50.255
        inet6 fe80::20d:bff:feed:84fb%ural0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0xa
*Weew
You last visited: 01-09-2008 at 05:58 PM <--- Daamn!
Well finally got my internet back, so-so very happy! But like yeah need to figure out wayz 'around' to get Free internet access w/o applying for an I.S.P. Me thinks Vista isn't capable anymore to handle wireless; XP anyone? lol...

Seriously, old/new friends welcome me back, Programmer Cafe has been alone for far to long in Computer Cafe. Ya dig!??!

Appreciate everybody who kept this thread alive for so long in my absent.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
I finally got rid of Windows completely on my desktop computer last month, and installed Ubuntu Gutsy, and I have to admit, i'm very glad i chose it =)

Though there's still a small problem that I have, (if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it alot!).
Sometimes, when i'm away from the computer, and then come back, I find my internet is disconnected for some reason. I use a linksys wireless adapter (but i don't think that's the problem). The fix takes just a few seconds, going to System->Network and uncheck and recheck the box next to Wireless connection, but it is a slight annoyance. =[

Otherwise, I've actually been impressed with the hardware recognization by it. From my previous experiences with Linux distros, hardware recognization has always been a big issue, but Ubuntu Gutsy recognized my printer instantly (BIG SURPRISE! =D), and my external hard drive, which windows xp previously had trouble recognizing (like more than half the time, it wouldn't recognize it and I would have to keep on rebooting until one time it finally sees it!), and i'm still trying to figure out why my laptop with windows xp can't recognize it at all

enough digressions

anyway, this thread is win =)
I may have a solution to your problem. You might be too far away from your modem in your house. I had a similar problem, we just bought the best router with the farthest signal ((I think it's the wireless n router)). We had to buy the router just because my computer is on the 1st floor and the router was on the 3rd floor. You could simply move closer to your router. This may not be your problem at all, but if it is, I hope this helps.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
I have a question about ubuntu-Linux's newest operating system. How hard is it to install and does it support pc games and common apps? Apps like converters, aim, etc. I've seen it and it looks really cool but I'm not sure if I want to take the risk of uninstalling vista and installing ubuntu. =/

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
I have a question about ubuntu-Linux's newest operating system. How hard is it to install and does it support pc games and common apps? Apps like converters, aim, etc. I've seen it and it looks really cool but I'm not sure if I want to take the risk of uninstalling vista and installing ubuntu. =/
You don't have to uninstall anything to use Ubuntu, get a CD and try it if you want, it has pretty much everything you can ask for and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to bring them up.

The only thing you might miss are PC games, but you can always use XP for that.

You can download CD images from the Ubuntu website: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

or

Get a free CD from: https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ (might take a while).

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Go for the dual boot. It's always useful to have a copy of Windows for compatibility reasons. Things like Wine really help, but sometimes it's just not worth it. Ubuntu makes dual-booting easy.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
You don't have to uninstall anything to use Ubuntu, get a CD and try it if you want, it has pretty much everything you can ask for and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to bring them up.

The only thing you might miss are PC games, but you can always use XP for that.

You can download CD images from the Ubuntu website: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

or

Get a free CD from: https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ (might take a while).
Oh ok that's cool.
Linux looks like a really cool operating system, but I'm not sure If I want to install it.
If anything goes terribly wrong, would it be hard to uninstall?

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
Go for the dual boot. It's always useful to have a copy of Windows for compatibility reasons. Things like Wine really help, but sometimes it's just not worth it. Ubuntu makes dual-booting easy.
This may seem like a stupid question but what exactly is the dual boot? I'm guessing it's where you have both operating systems on your computer so you can use both, right?

SmashChamp

Smash Cadet
@ streetracr77: Do be careful not to double post to much, mod n admin in here are picky.

Questions are never too stupid why this thread was created. Visit my friend Programing cafe. Anyway, to answer your question dual-booting is about loading in either operating system of choice ie. Windows XP or Unbutu! Windows 2000 server or Tiger OS X? (<--check system spec for this o.s.)
Warning: Vista is not my area of expertise! Tried dual-boot on Vista, craved playing battlefield 2, work only on XP sadly microsoft created this block so no matter what 'error message' popped up ...should be easier as time has pass to reverse engineer a way around this block as it was beginning of last year. Again, so not sure. :ohwell:

dual-booting is the thing of the past, is all about VMware being present and future! :chuckle:

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
@ streetracr77: Do be careful not to double post to much, mod n admin in here are picky.

Questions are never too stupid why this thread was created. Visit my friend Programing cafe. Anyway, to answer your question dual-booting is about loading in either operating system of choice ie. Windows XP or Unbutu! Windows 2000 server or Tiger OS X? (<--check system spec for this o.s.)
Warning: Vista is not my area of expertise! Tried dual-boot on Vista, craved playing battlefield 2, work only on XP sadly microsoft created this block so no matter what 'error message' popped up ...should be easier as time has pass to reverse engineer a way around this block as it was beginning of last year. Again, so not sure. :ohwell:

dual-booting is the thing of the past, is all about VMware being present and future! :chuckle:
Oops =x very sorry. Won't happen again. Are you saying that it won't work if I do it on vista, but it will if I do it on XP?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dual booting isn't a thing of the past, lol.

VMWare is awesome, but you lose a lot of efficiency. You're running two OS's at the same time as opposed to just one.

As for how to dual boot:

1) Make a new partition using Vista's partitioning tool. Make it EXT3 format. Make it as big or small as you want.

2) Burn Ubuntu to CD.

3) Boot from CD

4) Select Install once booted up from Ubuntu.

5) Profit.

Note: More detailed explanations can probably be found all over the place.

PS: I'm changing the name of this thread. They're called Operaing systems, not Operative. Jeez.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
Basically. Only because more familiar with XP, however better explanation on how dual-boot works on Vista and XP. Here is a link!
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm
Thank you very much ^.^

I will be sure to try this sometime

Dual booting isn't a thing of the past, lol.

VMWare is awesome, but you lose a lot of efficiency. You're running two OS's at the same time as opposed to just one.

As for how to dual boot:

1) Make a new partition using Vista's partitioning tool. Make it EXT3 format. Make it as big or small as you want.

2) Burn Ubuntu to CD.

3) Boot from CD

4) Select Install once booted up from Ubuntu.

5) Profit.

Note: More detailed explanations can probably be found all over the place.

PS: I'm changing the name of this thread. They're called Operaing systems, not Operative. Jeez.
Ok, I'll try this too.

okiyama

Smash Ace
I decided that for my next computer(which I'm building) I'm putting ubuntu on it for my everyday computing needs and then dual boot XP because I'm a big gamer and WINE's lag and general lack or performance just won't cut it for me.

I'm running off just XP for now though because at this point I have so much **** on my computer that I use often that moving it all over to dual boot wouldn't be worth it.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I'm switching to a dvorak style keyboard because it just makes more sense.

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
I need advice on Ubuntu.

I've heard great things about it but my main concern is the applications that are compatible with it.

I currently run Windows XP and I have no MAJOR issues with it but I heard Ubuntu is all around better...

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, it all depends on what you want to do, Zolga. If it's just homework and stuff, then OpenOffice is your ticket. Try it out on Windows first to get the hang of it, but it's almost identical to MS Office.

Gaming is another issue. There are plenty of games which run well on Linux through Wine (a program which lets Windows programs run on Linux). But there's usually some performance hit. I think I remember someone saying WoW runs well on it. But I don't play WoW, so... yea.

I still recommend keeping your Windows Install and dual booting into Ubuntu. It's super easy. Actually, I may write a guide for doing it, even. Stay posted on that.

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
Kk

I use Open Office already as i write alot and the exporting into many formats is easy.
I also have firefox 3 also...using it right now.

Thanks I'll check back after school today.

HALLOWEEN!!!!!

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
I am now dual booting Linux Ubuntu and Microsoft Vista. I really like Ubuntu, but I can't get flash player to work so I can't watch any YouTube videos. Whenever I download it and I click run in terminal, nothing happens.

SmashChamp

Smash Cadet
Not sure about this but let me know if this is jus hear say. I'm given to be under the impression that game(s) created, run, for on;y Windows XP; Work on Vista. How? Is this a joke, or fact...again tell me if this is simply hear say.

Games want to run on desktop:
Battlefield2
Battlefield2142
CounterStrike

--edit--
Another one want to find out is it even worth upgrading to CS4 from CS3? I run PhotoshopCS2 (yes oooold).

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I am now dual booting Linux Ubuntu and Microsoft Vista. I really like Ubuntu, but I can't get flash player to work so I can't watch any YouTube videos. Whenever I download it and I click run in terminal, nothing happens.
I believe you can install Flash in the Synaptic Package Manager. It saves a lot of hassle. SPM is your friend. :D

Sensai

Smash Master
Crossover Games is pretty much a surefire bet to get most any game running at least decently (unless it's a new release; I'm unsure if Left 4 Dead is running in it or not).

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
<3 WINE

Am I the only one who has an RSS feed to WINE releases? :p

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(file_format)

Basically, it reduces news from a site down to basic text for use in readers. By streaming news from a dozen sites to one reader, I can read updates about everything I am interested in at one convenient location (Google Reader, in my case). I go to one place to read about tech news, Diablo 3 updates, Starcraft 2 updates, WINE releases, new SWF threads (since I'm a moderator), web development news, etc.

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm a (relatively) recent adopter of RSS...and I love it. Makes it so much easier to keep up with a lot of sites.

If you're on Windows, I highly recommend FeedDemon. For Macs, I recommend NetNewsWire (or whatever it's called). Or, you can just do what Buzz does and have it in Google Reader (although, I've never liked this as it required me to be online to read things I might've wanted to save for later).

SmashChamp

Smash Cadet
@Buzz: Once you post something relevant in here, it does matter so please don't say to anyone who cares.
Thank you for explaining what RSS mean, and also as an avid Google user, want to know how to set this up on my mozilla. Dude you work for Nexus? Wow. Also your bright, very bright, excellent article by the way...

I'm a (relatively) recent adopter of RSS...and I love it. Makes it so much easier to keep up with a lot of sites.

If you're on Windows, I highly recommend FeedDemon. For Macs, I recommend NetNewsWire (or whatever it's called). Or, you can just do what Buzz does and have it in Google Reader (although, I've never liked this as it required me to be online to read things I might've wanted to save for later).
FeedDemon looks very promising. Checked it out, will mess around a bit so come across a problem, will let you know.

Top Bottom