• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Geno Thread

Shark X

Smash Lord
Hell, I like Meta-Knights Japanese voice better. I hope he doesn't speak in this game, so they have no reason to translate his voice.

But they do need to translate the other characters that speak, like Marth, Roy, Fox, Falco, etc.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
They took it out because it was false. Not false as in he won't be in, but false as in no one knows if he will be in.

D1

Banned via Administration
<---Still praying everynight so that my boy will be in.

I just popped in my Super Mario RPG Legend of the 7 Stars to remind myself of how cool Geno is.

: )

Lets hope the good times roll again eh folks?

Chaps

Smash Apprentice
Geno's definitely at the top of my list for any character I'd like to be added.... Super Mario RPG.... Oh, the nostalgia...

Iggy K

Smash Ace
odinm4gick said:
there needs to be an item or attack that has a bouncy star!
There is, you know, the starman? Oh and Geno's one of the best possible additions.

D

Deleted member

I'm too young to remember SMRPG, and I certainly don't have a SNES. Geno looks like a cool character so perhaps I'll root for him too. Heck, I really don't see how Sakurai can NOT include this guy (forget the licensing for a minute), what with the vast amount of coverage this guy seems to get everywhere. Just don’t worship him.

I just wish some of my other character choices were as popular…

D1

Banned via Administration
Well WindGuru there is something called an emulator snex9x or the znes that plays SNES roms. And just download the SMRPG rom. As old as that game is, its still fun to play till this day its amazing the job Square and Nintendo did on this game. I wish there would be a true SMRPG sequel w/ the old faves back in it again.

If PS2 could have Square put a bunch of whacky Disney chars in one great RPG game. The world's reception was good to the game, so they made a sequel. Why not do the same to SMRPG which was known as one of Mario's best RPG showing ever. No offense but all these other RPGs Mario has been in just can't hold a candle to SMRPG.

Whoah gone way off track...but yeah play the game it rocks.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
WindGuru said:
I'm too young to remember SMRPG, and I certainly don't have a SNES. Geno looks like a cool character so perhaps I'll root for him too. Heck, I really don't see how Sakurai can NOT include this guy (forget the licensing for a minute), what with the vast amount of coverage this guy seems to get everywhere. Just don’t worship him.

I just wish some of my other character choices were as popular…
Nitendo brought the rights for geno and the other SMRPG characters from square so we don't have to forget the licensing for a minute

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Nintendo did not buy the rights. I emailed Nintendo about it:

Nintendo representative said:
Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

Sorry that our response was not clear. The characters in the Super Smash Bros game are not all the property of Nintendo. They generally remain the property of the company that originally created them. While Geno and Mallow originally appeared in a game that was marketed by Nintendo, the title was designed and programmed by Square Soft. Geno and Mallow would still remain as the intellectual property of Square-Enix (the current name). Unfortunately, we have not heard any information that would support any rumors of Nintendo acquiring these characters.

Thanks for your email and good luck with all your games!

Chaps

Smash Apprentice
"It's totally a fake he made that up."

I wouldn't be surprised if someone said that (sadly).

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Nah, because then other character threads would be just as viable to sticky, and I'd only be stickying this one out of bias.

That said, this thread will probably be stickied at one point or another before Brawl's release. :p

Oro

BRoomer
BRoomer
D1 said:
Well WindGuru there is something called an emulator snex9x or the znes that plays SNES roms. And just download the SMRPG rom. As old as that game is, its still fun to play till this day its amazing the job Square and Nintendo did on this game. I wish there would be a true SMRPG sequel w/ the old faves back in it again.
Or, he could do something legal like buying the game on eBay or waiting for the Wii to come out and using the Virtual Console. Don't discuss illegal things like downloading ROMs on SWF.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Please, anyone familiar with Mario RPG, help me out:

I'm looking to pull the sound effects from Geno's various weapons and attacks so that I can do a Flash movie. Problem is, I'd have to use a recorder, and I don't want the background music with the sound effects (for obvious reasons). So, can anybody remember any fights in the game that for whatever reason didn't have any background music?

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
All of the fights in the game had background music. And I can't think of any moment when he shot something from his arm or did an attack when there was no background either. I think you're out of luck.

Geno FTW. I'm running through SMRPG again for kicks, and he's easily a darn good choice for SSBB, but I'm sure everyone reading this knows he is. Someone said he's on the top list to be chosen? I'm not fluent in japanese... or know any at all, so... yeah.

Elemental Knight

Smash Cadet
I don't think I've ever been so excited about the idea of Geno in Brawl as I am in reading this topic. That's the best moveset I've yet heard for Geno, and it just cements in my mind how incredible his magic could be. I really like Tomasiarity's idea for his entrance should they bring them back. Geno's my favorite video game character of all time, and it would excite me to no end to see him in the game.

Also, a big thank you to McFox for clearing up the copyright question. That rumor about Nintendo purchasing the rights has been floating around for a while now, and it's good to know the real answer. I'm surprised that you got a straight answer from Nintendo. I second the idea of posting it up at GameFAQs. That Brawl board sometimes goes crazy in its Geno battles, and it'd be nice to have one source of contention settled permanently.

And unless you're good at ripping sound effects from ROMs, you're going to have a hard time getting them by themselves. There's no time where Geno makes those SE without music.

odinm4gick

Smash Apprentice
McFox said:
Please, anyone familiar with Mario RPG, help me out:

I'm looking to pull the sound effects from Geno's various weapons and attacks so that I can do a Flash movie. Problem is, I'd have to use a recorder, and I don't want the background music with the sound effects (for obvious reasons). So, can anybody remember any fights in the game that for whatever reason didn't have any background music?
I forget, was there an option to turn the music down and turn the sound of the sound effects up?

NukeA6

Smash Master
Ignore this post. I gotta fix Geno's moveset. I made him too much of a robot than what he really is.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
odinm4gick said:
I forget, was there an option to turn the music down and turn the sound of the sound effects up?
I don't think so, but perhaps my emulator does have the option. I'll have to check.

And Yojimbo, Sakurai (the director) polled Japanese gamers on who they wanted to see in the game, and he's been posting ideas he thinks are interesting. Geno's on the list.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
McFox said:
Nintendo did not buy the rights. I emailed Nintendo about it:
This is sad news, hopefully they will though because he's one of the characters people want the most(including me)

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Yes I know, but I wish they would confirm it or get the rights.

Totally off-topic but I need to ask this question. McFox, let's say I get a bunch of pics like my old sig, but they weren't bare butts. Then would I be able to put them in my sig? I did so with the P.N. 03 one and it seems to be fine.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
k thx, btw have a nice vacation. Now, I'm off to go ask KirbyKing about this!

D

Deleted member

I think no other character in Brawl has such a large fanbase, judging from what I've seen here.

GENO FOR BRAWL!!

(Marshigio's back, I see :laugh: )

Falkick

Smash Journeyman
At YTMND. (If you don't know what this is, i shoul
I personally love SM RPG: LOTSS, and Geno was my faveorite character in the game. If Geno is in the game, then the only player with a better position on the god teir would be Snake or Jigglypuff (And only if they gave jiggly the rest move.) and he would hopefully stay out of being a secret character, because that would be total and complete crap.

Chaps

Smash Apprentice
How are you predicting tiers before the game's even out (unless I misread that)?
And personally, I don't care whether or not Geno is a secret character; if he's in it, then he's in it, and I'll be happy.

Very happy.

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
Meh... I don't understand why people are so fascinated with Geno, but then again, I haven't played Mario RPG...

Shark X

Smash Lord
If Geno was in it, he's most obviously be a hidden character. Some of the most wanted are secret. Mewtwo, Luigi, Falco, Ganon, and I even read Snake will be an unlockable...or did I read he wasn't unlockable, can't remember...

And why complain about him being a hidden character? Thats total and complete crap.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
Krytha said:
Meh... I don't understand why people are so fascinated with Geno, but then again, I haven't played Mario RPG...
That's exactly why you don't understand.

Off-topic, I can't have any bare butts :(
As long as it has body paint(not bare) on it, it's fine though.

Top Bottom