• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The OFFICIAL Duck Hunt Dog Thread

SYC!

Smash Apprentice
LtFoeHammer said:
So don't think about it.
Haha. I don't anymore, and it helps. /joke

But really I was just using figurative language for describing how I feel about the dog being in the game. (as opposed to just saying 'I don't want him in the game.')

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Well that was awkward.

The question still remains though, should Laughing Dog be included as a character or have a Duck Hunt stage? I'd say the stage because there are plenty of classic Nintendo characters already and not enough retro levels.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Whoa, this thread almost died again. *bump*

OK, so I've decided I'm gonna post MY official moveset for LD. This moveset it based off a 3D biped (two-legged) LD.

B - Clay Pidgeon: LD launches a clay disk at his opponent. It's like Falco's laser, cannot be shot in a repetitive order like Fox, but it knocks the enemy back a little.

Smash B - Fighting Duck: LD throws a duck a short distance. If it hits an enemy, it begins to thrash around, doing substantial damage and the enemy can't get out of it until the duck disappears after a second. If the duck misses, it will thrash around on the ground, knocking anyone who touches it away.

Down B - Tall Grass: A patch of tall grass quickly grows from the ground around LD. If he is hit by a projectile while in the grass, he'll pop out and have the item in his hand. It will not work with energy type projectiles or physical attacks. There is not much of a "windup" time, but there is a signifigant lag afterwards, whether LD is holding an item or not.

Up B - Flyaway: LD grabs the feet of a duck, which flys upwards frantically, damaging anyone it comes into contact with. This can be used as LD's thrid jump. After LD has let go, the duck will continue to fly upwards, damaging anyone it hits.

So whaddya guys think? I'm really proud of it, myself.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and here are some optional costumes for LD.
Black and Brown with a spiky color.
Pink and white with a collar with a bow.

LtFoeHammer

Smash Apprentice
I dunno, I think the A moves are very uninspired. *coughBOWSERcough*, and you skipped out on a bunch of things. The B moves are alright though, I love your use of the duck, but I think they could use some work.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
*k'bump*

Yeah, I stink at making up A moves, so I edited them out. XD

Wow, this thread almost died. Yeesh. Wouldn't want that to happen now would we?

I was looking up the duck hunt for the Console Formerly Known as the Revolution and I can't seem to see any shots of LD. I don't know if they've taken him out or not, but I sure hope they haven't! Maybe, the game being in it's early stages and all, they just left the dog out of the demo version and are working on him behind closed doors in their secret Nintendo lair.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
DokturSea said:
I was looking up the duck hunt for the Console Formerly Known as the Revolution and I can't seem to see any shots of LD. I don't know if they've taken him out or not, but I sure hope they haven't! Maybe, the game being in it's early stages and all, they just left the dog out of the demo version and are working on him behind closed doors in their secret Nintendo lair.
Come on man, can't you just say "Wii"? I mean, we all (or most of us) hate the name, but Nintendo's sticking to it, so it's just something we have to just deal with.

At any rate, the so-called Duck Hunt game was actually part of a demo showing off the new Zapper peripheral for the "Wii-Mote" - not that there isn't one in the works. Pretty good suggested moveset, but the Duck Hunt dog isn't one of my favorite suggestions - and how did he come to be known as "Laughing Dog" anyway? The dog has no offical name.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
The Laughing Dog describes who he is and let's people know who is and what he does, Duck Hunt Dog sounds like a random generic Dog that hunters take with them on hunts.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
xianfeng said:
The Laughing Dog describes who he is and let's people know who is and what he does, Duck Hunt Dog sounds like a random generic Dog that hunters take with them on hunts.
You obviously are unaware of the Duck Hunt legacy... or go hunting for that matter... I've never heard of a hunting dog referred to as a "duck hunt dog"...

Also, people are more likely to recognize "Duck Hunt Dog" rather than "Laughing Dog". They may think the latter refers to some new video on eBaum's World or something. The first time I ever saw him reffered to as LD was on a SSB3 fansite.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
I wasn't around in NES days I barely remember the SNES I was born in '92 so I was around in the age of the 64, I never heard of LD or DH until I came here :p

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Duck Hunt Dog would have the best taunt in the game, unless Fawful got in. Though the "tree huggers" would probably object to putting in a character from a game where the point was to kill animals, but I've played Duck Hunt before, pretty fun, but sort of hard, Duck Hunt Dog would be great advertising for the Duck Hunt game for Wii.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Lord_Deathborne said:
You obviously are unaware of the Duck Hunt legacy... or go hunting for that matter... I've never heard of a hunting dog referred to as a "duck hunt dog"...

Also, people are more likely to recognize "Duck Hunt Dog" rather than "Laughing Dog". They may think the latter refers to some new video on eBaum's World or something. The first time I ever saw him reffered to as LD was on a SSB3 fansite.
That's where I got the name from.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Lord_Deathborne said:
Let's give him a real freakin' name why don't we? How about "Hunter" - a popular dog name and it's fitting to the nature of the game.
I think his real name is Mirth but I could be wrong.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
I think someone suggested Hunter earlier. I really like it, but I don't think it's very official. Laughing or Duck Hunt Dog seems to be more accurate to me.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
O_O

OK, one, why the heck would McFox "be all over this"? Cuz you don't like the idea? Oh that's right, I forgot. It's McFox's job to close the threads you, notftomearth7, don't like. Right. Silly me.

Two, no one's forgotten Duck Hunt. The trophey in Melee just goes to show how much people haven't forgotten in. Cuz because you're not old enough to remember it (at least, your maturity level implies that) doesn't mean no one else does. It was one of the most influential games of all time. It shared a cartridge with the orignal freaking Mario game.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
notftomearth7 said:
Are you nuts? McFox is going to be all over this! No, I don't like the idea. I think honestly, that people have forgoten about the duck hunt franchise altogether. I mean, there was a trophy in Melee, but I don't think Nintendo wants to waste the space.
Let's see how many threads you have made that have been closed, Lloyd, Anti Sonic, Mischief Makers, and Master Chief. And as DokturSea pointed out, you contradicted yourself by saying DuckHunt is forgotten even though he has a trophy in Melee.

I don't want him to be playable, but I definetly want a Duck Hunt stage.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
O_O

OK, one, why the heck would McFox "be all over this"? Cuz you don't like the idea? Oh that's right, I forgot. It's McFox's job to close the threads you, notftomearth7, don't like. Right. Silly me.

Two, no one's forgotten Duck Hunt. The trophey in Melee just goes to show how much people haven't forgotten in. Cuz because you're not old enough to remember it (at least, your maturity level implies that) doesn't mean no one else does. It was one of the most influential games of all time. It shared a cartridge with the orignal freaking Mario game.
No no, McFox told me himself that he didn't agree with most of what was posted on this site so if there's one person that I'm confident will slam this thread, it's McFox. Ask McFox himself an you'll see that I'm not lying. The Laughing Dog was a stupid idea in the first place so why would it be any different 20 years down the road?

saints_n_sox

Smash Rookie
BUMP... This is a great idea and very original! Even though it's out there, I support it! :bigthumbu

Super_Cool

Smash Journeyman
Rather then be a character, Id rather have the laughing dog laugh at you whenever you get a GAME OVER.

Rash

Smash Ace
I think the laughing dog would be better as a background character. Maybe he could be in a DuckHunt-inspired stage.

What kind of stage would this be? You'd have just a typical platform setup, but it would have the DuckHunt design/background. A crosshair occasionally flies around the scren and shoots down ducks that are in the background, and if you get in front of a flying duck (based on your position in the stage), the crosshair will shoot/damage you instead of the duck, and the dog will come out and laugh at you.

Just an idea. I think it'd be nice to include the dog in the game, but not as a playable character.

#HBC | marshy

BRoomer
No no, McFox told me himself that he didn't agree with most of what was posted on this site so if there's one person that I'm confident will slam this thread, it's McFox. Ask McFox himself an you'll see that I'm not lying. The Laughing Dog was a stupid idea in the first place so why would it be any different 20 years down the road?
Whoa, you're the one who pmed me with your anger lecturing me not to put down your crappy ideas, but here you are putting down a good idea.

And in response to your PM of crap: WAAAAAAH.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I think the laughing dog would be better as a background character. Maybe he could be in a DuckHunt-inspired stage.

What kind of stage would this be? You'd have just a typical platform setup, but it would have the DuckHunt design/background. A crosshair occasionally flies around the scren and shoots down ducks that are in the background, and if you get in front of a flying duck (based on your position in the stage), the crosshair will shoot/damage you instead of the duck, and the dog will come out and laugh at you.

Just an idea. I think it'd be nice to include the dog in the game, but not as a playable character.
That's a good idea, but here is my stage idea for duck Hunt:

this stage is based after the 8-Bit era, like IC's Break The Targets, and the Platforms ARE thu ducks. They move around, making it harder. And occasionaly, the cursor would come and shoot down a duck, creating less space to move, but a duck would occasionaly fly back on screen. Also, the cursor would also shoot you sometimes and items, destroying them.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
I edited the first post to include my and Ferro's movesets. If anyone would like to post one, go ahead and I'll put it in the first post. :)

And I think the duck hunt level should be, well, duck hunt!

It'd be that, right there, only with a platform or two. The players could use both the tree and the bush as platforms themselves. Ducks would fly by and drop food or random items. And if Laughing Dog WASN'T a playable, every once and a while, he'd pop up outta the grass and throw a bomb-omb into the arena, laugh, then sink back down. And, remaining true to the Duck Hunt way, you wouldn't be able to attack LD.

Profanity

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BHC-Prof
And, remaining true to the Duck Hunt way, you wouldn't be able to attack LD.
Good stage idea, but....If you attack the Laughing Dog, you should take damage, or knockback, or he could spawn more bob-ombs. Obviously not a Tourney stage.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
I don't think Laughing Dog or Duck Hunt Dog would be a good character because he is from an old NES game that has no appeal to modern gamers, he has nothing to draw moves from, he is a quadraped (sp?) and he is a DOG, I would love to have him as a background character and a trophy, I really like LD and I think I will name one of my dogs that but as a Playable character in Brawl I don't think so.

Top Bottom