• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The official "Ask Your Questions" thread

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
Versing falco is a funny matchup because i always find myself sitting there watching myself getting combo'd, waiting patiently, wondering when it will be my turn. Then, just as i have resigned myself to being nothing more than a spectator for a whole stock, a single opening appears in amongst the seemingly unstoppable flurry of feathers and i know... at that precise moment.. my time has come.

Lol, i find not getting flustered too much when getting combo'd helps alot against falco.

Solid advice chandy. I went down to 2 falcos last tourney so its definitely the matchup i have the most room for improvement in! Thanks!

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
The Sheik and Peach analysis streams have been highlighted, so they'll be around FOREVER AND EVER now. DK players in the year 2035 will learn from my insight and guidance, just like you guys do today. #chandyforever

https://www.twitch.tv/cnb_chandy/v/69659373
https://www.twitch.tv/cnb_chandy/v/69659012

I also recently analyzed that Falco set I shared. I talk about some nifty stuff like edgeguarding spacies, the early % punish game on Falco, and how to position yourself appropriately for optimal coverage during platform tech chases.

https://www.twitch.tv/cnb_chandy/v/69658664

Please let me know if there's anything I brought up you'd like me to elaborate on, I'm always happy to answer questions.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Me vs TheMoon

Mr. F (SwedishDelight's brother) said I coulda taken a game if I wasnt so antsy.

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
Green Ranger Green Ranger any tips for DK in doubles? I noticed you've teamed with Abate in the past and gotten some pretty good results so if you've got anything to offer in terms of DK doubles strategy, I'd be interested to hear it. I'm starting to play more DK in doubles but I'm struggling because I've never really thought about doubles in-depth and I have a hard time adjusting my game plan to account for my teammate and stuff like that.

If anyone else plays a lot of doubles DK and can offer advice, please, let me know.

T^2

Smash Cadet
Versing falco is a funny matchup because i always find myself sitting there watching myself getting combo'd, waiting patiently, wondering when it will be my turn. Then, just as i have resigned myself to being nothing more than a spectator for a whole stock, a single opening appears in amongst the seemingly unstoppable flurry of feathers and i know... at that precise moment.. my time has come.

Lol, i find not getting flustered too much when getting combo'd helps alot against falco.

Solid advice chandy. I went down to 2 falcos last tourney so its definitely the matchup i have the most room for improvement in! Thanks!
Falco Dk is like a more unbalanced marth falcon. Both destroy each other in the combo game, but falco by far has the better neutral game.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Stuff ppl should do more:

Overextend SH Nairs on DD campers (yes Nair can be negative it on hit but ppl don't react well enough)

Retreating, Shield Pivot and Shield stop Fairs

Approaching SH Uairs on cornered opponents "to catch their jump and if they don't jump, well the move is autocanceled so you can still act quickly"

Tomahawk grab

Tomahawk Ftilt

Reverse Uptilt after a whiffed Bair

Dash forward, shield pivot Bair (looks like you're dashing forward and immediately Back Airing)

Cargo Dthrow at the edge, turn around jump off Bair (vs spacies). Many will try to Forward B and the Bair just eats it. If they Up B, they are definitely dead. This is good even at 0% since you can Bair into an UpB.

Shield drop Uairs and Shield drop pivot Bairs (it's 2016, no excuse for DKs to not be shielddropping anymore)

Banning YS vs Spacies

Always jumping off stage for edgeguards (Bair and UpB too good)

Charge Punch in Neutral

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
Nice list. What's your opinion of down B Njz? I've been trying to incorporate it into my game alot more.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I use it when tech chasing, sometimes vs dash dance campers (taken from GreenRanger), and vs ICs.

Tech Chasing: When I am not confident in being able to land a grab off a tech chase I just Down B. It easily covers Fox/Falco shining on getup and characters that can quickly buffer a spotdodge/roll.

Dash Dance Camping: One of the ways to beat people who just dash dance camp, waiting for you to come in a whiff a move, is to overextend a hitbox. So like, running in and aim behind the area they're in because you know they are going to dash back. Foxes can overextend a SH nair/dair, Marth can dtilt, etc etc. With DK it's usually Dtilt. Fair and Nair can work. Down B is usable too since it has such crazy range.

Ice Climbers: This character likes to stay grounded and approach with long wavedashes. ICs don't really dash in and SH aerial. Because of this, Down B is actually pretty good, catching them out of there advancing wavedashes and separating them. With this logic, yes, Luigi and Mewtwo are also good to use this on.

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i think Down B is DK's answer to beating spotdodge and tech in place shine - two things that royally mess me up in the spacies matchup.

Also chandy mentioned on his stream that if you hit with the second part of the Down B, it leads into a guaranteed grab? So that makes down B and even better potential counter to spotdodge because spacies will likely dodge the first hitbox, not the second, allowing you to continue the combo.

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
No. It's a weird quirk of him being a sometimes quadripedal sometimes bipedal character, but his ECB updates in such a way that perfect wavelands are impossible, just like jiggs.

mom7

Smash Cadet
Thank you, I have another question, you can short hop, charge punch, cancel (with R or L), and than : (waveland, Bair or Uair), I have done it plenty of times in practice, my question is how many frames do you have left if the first 3 steps are executed perfectly?

And do you have to wait a certain number of frames to cancel charging his punch, is there a minimum of frames or can you just press b than 1 frame after press L or R to cancel his punching animation?

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
The fastest you can cancel charge punch is seven frames after you input it. You'll know you got the fastest possible charge punch cancel if he does no arm swings and you hear no sound effects. It looks like this.

As far as your other question, I don't know how many frames DK is in the air for a short hop with no fastfall because that's pretty useless information, but if you want to figure it out yourself, it's just going to be

<Number of frames DK is airborne during a short hop with no fastfall> minus 9 frames

you lose 7 frames doing the turnaround
you lose 2 more frames because you initiated a special attack on the first airborne frame which shortens your jump (read more on that here. Although the first post mentions only aerials, if you scroll down you'll find the same jump shortening effect applies to special moves too.)

Frame 7 punch turnarounds are ****ing hard to do consisntently because it's a frame perfect input, which are already hard on their own but are made even more difficult because you have to use the trigger to perform the cancel and triggers are a little less responsive than buttons when it comes to quick inputs. You can also cancel the charge punch with Z but the z button also kind of sucks and you'd have to play claw to really make use of it, which IMHO isn't worth it for just one marginally useful tech.

If you're interested in a way to turn around into a jump with more actionable frames, try out a pivot bair instead. Not only do I find it easier and slightly more versatile than a punch turnaround bair, but learning pivots in general will help out your DK much more than learning how to frame 7 punch turnaround consistently because they can be used for so much more than just turning around into a jump.

Last edited:

jonnobigz

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Chococoplex

Smash Rookie
Yo, I was wondering if anyone else has ever done this with DK. It's an exploitation of his Up-B sweet spot while in the air. Battlefield is the only stage with overhangs like this, and thus is the only one I can do it on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuj3DFiPhR4

I've done it in tournament only a few times, but it's worked pretty well catching high-percent spacies off their guard and launching them offstage, nothing I'd do against good players though since it's easily punishable. Additionally, I figure other characters' moves with large downward hitboxes, such as Falco's and Marth's D-airs (maybe even Fox's?), can go through the stage and hit DK. Can anyone validate that fear?

Hagrid

Smash Apprentice
Yo, I was wondering if anyone else has ever done this with DK. It's an exploitation of his Up-B sweet spot while in the air. Battlefield is the only stage with overhangs like this, and thus is the only one I can do it on.

I've done it in tournament only a few times, but it's worked pretty well catching high-percent spacies off their guard and launching them offstage, nothing I'd do against good players though since it's easily punishable. Additionally, I figure other characters' moves with large downward hitboxes, such as Falco's and Marth's D-airs (maybe even Fox's?), can go through the stage and hit DK. Can anyone validate that fear?
I tried to do this a few times in tourney but kept bumping my head under the stage and dying :(

Ive never seen it knock someone offstage though, thats awesome.

Chococoplex

Smash Rookie
Yeah it's definitely a weird timing to get down, I still bonk my head half the time as I don't exactly have it down personally. Knocking the opponent offstage is pretty much the only effect it can have I think. It's just the sweet spot up-B, which pops out behind DK anyway, and since he's facing the stage during the jump it's almost guaranteed to knock the opponent off if it hits at all at mid-high percents.

Chococoplex

Smash Rookie
So here's a situation I've been thinking over a bit recently. Whenever I land a b-air on shield that is in shield grab vicinity I usually throw in a grounded up-B. Is this the best option? Its quick startup leaves little room for error on the shield grab timing and it has the potential to shield poke with the multi-hit. Going off of this, should I fade towards my opponent to go for the poke, or fade away so as to avoid a grab/punish during the ending lag?

On the opposite side of this, I've been playing a lot recently with the best falco at my school in order to actually have a chance at the matchup. One thing he always gets me with is d-air -> shine/jab -> shine/jab2 on my shield. He told me that there's a window between the landing lag on his dair and second move (either jab or shine) that I can shield grab him, but I always seem to miss it and get hit by the second move (the same idea goes with the third move, either the second part of jab or shine after the first jab, but this is a bit smaller window and practically risky). Am I actually able to shield grab in between d-air and jab/shine, and if so how long do I have implying he has perfect timing?

Ringler

Smash Rookie
So here's a situation I've been thinking over a bit recently. Whenever I land a b-air on shield that is in shield grab vicinity I usually throw in a grounded up-B. Is this the best option? Its quick startup leaves little room for error on the shield grab timing and it has the potential to shield poke with the multi-hit. Going off of this, should I fade towards my opponent to go for the poke, or fade away so as to avoid a grab/punish during the ending lag?

On the opposite side of this, I've been playing a lot recently with the best falco at my school in order to actually have a chance at the matchup. One thing he always gets me with is d-air -> shine/jab -> shine/jab2 on my shield. He told me that there's a window between the landing lag on his dair and second move (either jab or shine) that I can shield grab him, but I always seem to miss it and get hit by the second move (the same idea goes with the third move, either the second part of jab or shine after the first jab, but this is a bit smaller window and practically risky). Am I actually able to shield grab in between d-air and jab/shine, and if so how long do I have implying he has perfect timing?
Personally, I really like up b after a bair. Given how long the move lasts, I doubt its as good as it feels, but it catches a lot of people off guard. If I don't get the sweetspot, I generally fade away from my opponent, but if their shield is especially low sometimes I'll fade in for a shield poke. Either way it's pretty dangerous because a good player will be able to grab you either after the sweetspot hitbox ends but before the multihit starts, or while your in end lag after the moves over.

With shield grabbing falco, I don't like the risk versus reward. If the falco does a really high aerial on your shield, It can be pretty easy to grab them but you're timing still has to be pretty tight. I'm pretty sure if the falco has good spacing you can't shield grab him though.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero

Unfortunately this doesn't work in New Jersey. They are well acquainted with DK jank :(

edit:

Btw, DK's jab is good

Last edited:

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
DK's first jab is pretty good. That second jab is hot garbage though.

Sorry there haven't been new VODs from me lately, work has been super busy.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Nice DK jonnobigz jonnobigz ... but you are freaking crazy lmao. Never take anyone to FoD!!!!!

That is DK's worst stage, especially if you don't shield drop. I saw a lot of easy shield drop punishes you could of gotten this set, def work that into your gameplay. You have a really sick DK, hope to see more vids.

I'm assuming Dreamland64 was banned? That's DK's best stage vs Marth. After that I'd say Pokemon Stadium, I always beat Zealous5000 there (2 or 3 stocking him) and I do good vs Moon there (he too clutch).

jonnobigz

Smash Apprentice
Fountain is one of my favorites actually! I like the low platforms and shallow horizontal blastzones. I actually have been grinding shielddrops the last few days so next vid should be juicy. Thank you!

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
New Chandy VODs.

Vs Foxmaster 4200, he should learn how to DI a little better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqvTOS5TURY

Vs good Fox, THAT GAME 3 ENDER THOUGH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U3MHz_mfhQ

Vs Falco, standard stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbiWlh80QzA

Vs Peach, count those bairs! He switches to Sheik game 3 and it doesn't work out for him at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1IXXsOafSM

Vs Sheik, this guy has my number. It's hard because he used to main DK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKrUB6UWrio

Vs same Sheik in the runback, I take some games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFaWLhI3AcU

Pop Quiz: Which of these Chandy combos is the most dankinest 420 blazinest one out there fam?

A) https://gfycat.com/VelvetyLittleEasternglasslizard
B) https://gfycat.com/BleakConfusedInchworm
C) https://gfycat.com/ImpracticalPartialKinglet (FYI this is a zero to death, i had just finished ledge hop DK punching him but the sequence is over 15 seconds, proof)

jonnobigz

Smash Apprentice
vs the first Fox, I feel like run up Dtilt a la Marth would be pretty good. The bair walls are good but it left a lot of holes that you got usmashed. It's an invaluable tool for me in neutral as another option.

Same vs second Fox, but dope finish as yous aid.

Vs Peach, don't forget to edgeguard with uair! It's a great move that most forget about, especially at 90%+ it will kill. You can usually react bair if they try to fall through you too.

Vs Sheik, it's tough to approach Sheik with her defensive options. Normally I say to just stand on platform and camp/charge punch, but that Sheik was actually aggressive.

tl;dr Bair is super good in neutral but there are other things too!

I totally pick A by the way.

Dongs unite.

Chococoplex

Smash Rookie
If you had ended A with a turnaround giant punch connecting with the vertical/inner hitbox, instead of up-B, then it would probably be my fav DK combo of all time.

EDIT: Even if it wouldn't have killed, still would've been the most fully expanded dong in history.

Last edited:

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
If you had ended A with a turnaround giant punch connecting with the vertical/inner hitbox, instead of up-B, then it would probably be my fav DK combo of all time.

EDIT: Even if it wouldn't have killed, still would've been the most fully expanded dong in history.
I don't think it would have even hit. Nair has hella endlag so up-B is one of the few things fast enough to actually follow-up out of it. Dropped combos --> flaccid dong. I am frowning IRL at the thought.

jonnobigz

Smash Apprentice
I was noticing nair has suprisingly low endlag, at least for how cheese of a move it is. It miiiight have worked but yeah upB is safer.

Dralro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Deadeye42
What's up DKs! how goes the meta? Whose good right now, any general DK knowledge I should know if picking up the character?

Top Bottom