• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Office (2nd best show after Lost)

nobletoast

Smash Journeyman
From a British perspective of this and as a fan of the original I can honestly say that I cant decide between them. I downloaded the first three episodes from series three and was very VERY impressed. I have the rest of 3 and Series 2 on the download now and ill make a choice when ive seen more.

Personaly I think Dwight > Garth but Gervais > Carrel. I like how Carel doesnt offer an impression but more of a different interpretation....that probably sounds quite pretentious. At the end of the day hes a good guy and not really as much as a loser as Brent. I heard that the major differences between British and US comedy is theres usually a winner in US comedy and always a loser in British comedy and from what ive seen this show shows it.

As I did with Tim I find Jim to be smug, dull and have a face i'd never tire of punching and couldnt care less for the romance aspect of the show.

Panik

Smash Journeyman
thats actually kind of true. i work in an office and feel i appreciate it a whole lot more
See, I do too. I'm actually in the IT dept. inside the dept. of Neurosurgery at a hospital. I basically feel like that show sometimes matches real life, and needless to say, it is fairly scary.:chuckle:

Amorasaki

Functional
Premium
BRoomer
Personaly I think Dwight > Garth but Gervais > Carrel. I like how Carel doesnt offer an impression but more of a different interpretation....that probably sounds quite pretentious. At the end of the day hes a good guy and not really as much as a loser as Brent. I heard that the major differences between British and US comedy is theres usually a winner in US.
I watched the UK original first, though I am an American with American tastes. Though I think dwight is a hilarious character, gareth had his moments too. Not trusting the way jello moves was a great bit of dialogue. For me, it's hard to choose between the two.

David brent was too hard to stomach. He just has no redeeming qualities. Except when he tried to prove his dancing skills. That was his redeeming quality.

Panik

Smash Journeyman
I watched the UK original first, though I am an American with American tastes. Though I think dwight is a hilarious character, gareth had his moments too. Not trusting the way jello moves was a great bit of dialogue. For me, it's hard to choose between the two.

David brent was too hard to stomach. He just has no redeeming qualities. Except when he tried to prove his dancing skills. That was his redeeming quality.
"Dwigt" all the way. There is no doubt. The way he looks is enough to bring his character alive. Perfect for the part

GOTM

Smash Champion
See, I do too. I'm actually in the IT dept. inside the dept. of Neurosurgery at a hospital. I basically feel like that show sometimes matches real life, and needless to say, it is fairly scary.:chuckle:
im in the IT department too! lol

awesome

Big Burn

Smash Lord
i think that they only have one epsidoe left to air... they had some more written but greg daniels(the show runner) isn't doing any non related writing activities either, ie editing and whatever else... so i think this weeks episode is the last unless the strike is resolved

GOTM

Smash Champion
ooh man. thats gonne be crazy going some weeks without the office, lol. this better get resolved soon. the writers do deserve some more cred though. they are responsible for making shows what they are.

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
ooh man. thats gonne be crazy going some weeks without the office, lol. this better get resolved soon. the writers do deserve some more cred though. they are responsible for making shows what they are.
Yeah, but everybody knows that the producers and executives in Hollywood are real jerks and only care about grubbing money from anyone and everyone they can. Chances are the strike won't be resolved until at least next year.

And then the actor's contracts run out in June, so we could be facing a possible Actor Strike too.

:(

Panik

Smash Journeyman
I'm no huge Office fanatic (yet), so I don't know if you're talking about the episodes running out because of the strike, or is the show done after the next episode?

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Shows running out because of the strike. The new season just started at the end of September :(

Cygnus V Arcana

Smash Apprentice
also, some more bad news, NBC just fired over 102 crew members for the office because of the strike.

this really sucks, hope it gets resolved soon.

GOTM

Smash Champion
also, some more bad news, NBC just fired over 102 crew members for the office because of the strike.

this really sucks, hope it gets resolved soon.
did it say what kind of crew members they were? i hope none of the actors/actresses were like tied to any of them, cuz that wouldnt be good

nobletoast

Smash Journeyman
Ive now finished watching all of the second and third series of the Us version and I can safely say im a massive fan and NEED it released on REGION 2 DVD. I think its a totally different show to the British version.

The British version trys to make you feel this is real life as so when Brent makes a fool of himself it becomes funnier. The American version is deffinitly more unrealistic with Scott being totally crazy with some of his ideas. Some scenario's in the US version would never really happen.

I still think Dwight is funnier than Garth.

Brent Vs Scott. I dont know really, each character is a good reflection of the humor of each show. I still prefer Brent if im being honest. I love that style of cringe humor he brings.

How anyone can not hate Jim Halpert is beyond me. I didnt really like Tim in the UK version but how I hate Jim Halpert. That smug grin he pulls at the camera really needs smacking. Unlike Tim, I dont want to see him get the girl because he ISNT a total loser (a key element to any comedy romance). He has good career prospects, is high up in the office, quite good looking and he's banging Karren Filleppi. I couldnt care less for him getting Pam. Although his pranks are funny i must admitt.

Creed is the man. I love how the US version has a background cast and I find the treatment of Toby to be one of the funniest things in the show. And Stanley is awesome.

Overall I honestly prefer the US version but I think their both toally different. But i'm still dreading the imminent Fox remake of Spaced.

Also - How typical that when i find a new international show to download to pass away the weekdays it go's on strike. Just my luck!

GOTM

Smash Champion
how do u dislike michael scott more than his UK counterpart because he is too unrealistic and hate jim

jim is probably the most realistic character that we have in this show

nobletoast

Smash Journeyman
I dont dislike Michael Scott. He's great. I just prefer Brent.

And who said Jim was unrealistic. I just find him smug and find it hard to route for a character who is doing quite well in everything. Comedy romances have always been built on losers but he too far removed from being a 'loser' for me to route for him or the jim-pam romance.*

And Andy is brilliant.

*bear in mind I havnt seen any series 4 yet.

Cygnus V Arcana

Smash Apprentice
did it say what kind of crew members they were? i hope none of the actors/actresses were like tied to any of them, cuz that wouldnt be good

yeah it was mainly just crew as far as grips, makeup artists, hair, lighting etc. People like that. It still sucks though because it's starting to affect everyone. Hopefully resolution comes soon :dizzy:

nobletoast

Smash Journeyman
Anyone know a site I can watch season 4. My bitlord is being a turd and I cant download them properly.

Cygnus V Arcana

Smash Apprentice
i hear that....also, the new episode was amazing. it looks as if the writers still had some stuff in the tank. i hope they give the writers what they want. this show NEEDS to go on

yeah apparentally according to Jenna Fischer( Pam Beesly ) they had a whole episode where Jim and Pam hung out with Michael at his condo. She said it was probably the funniest episode of the season, but since the strike is still going on we may have to wait still, although, the writers and the companies are supposed to meet again on the 26th of November to see about coming to an agreement and ending the strike so keep your fingers crossed. :dizzy:

UberBob

Smash Apprentice
I just saw the office for the first time, and it wasn't as amazingly funny as all my friends tell me. The only characters that made me laugh were "dwight" and the "boss" of the office. Maybe I'm being subjective because I only saw one episode, but I'd prefer watching family guy.

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
I just saw the office for the first time, and it wasn't as amazingly funny as all my friends tell me. The only characters that made me laugh were "dwight" and the "boss" of the office. Maybe I'm being subjective because I only saw one episode, but I'd prefer watching family guy.
I felt the same way when I watched it.

You watch one episode, and it's just a distraction. You watch thirty, and it becomes an addiction. Family Guy is good, yeah, but it's slapstick humor. The Office is "smart" humor.

The show just grows on you, I guess.

Cygnus V Arcana

Smash Apprentice
watch more before we all take your opinion seriously....

definitely, I have a friend that never got why my friends and I watched "The Office" and she borrowed the season 1 dvd from me and watched it all the way through and now she is absolutely hooked. It happened to me when a boss of mine was explaining the improv class scene to me with the "guns". I didn't get it and thought he was a complete ****** and then when I actually saw it I was hooked immediately.

I just plain love the office haha

GOTM

Smash Champion
i seriously can rewatch it like a million times, lol. i just rewatched a lot of the older ones with my family and there still freakin hilarious.

i still havent seen "the injury", but thats the only one ive missed. downloading right now though...;)

Top Bottom